Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Signal sources are generally placed so there's something interesting nearby or on the route to said signal source from the shallows. A lot of the good early game stuff spawns in multiple different wrecks and biomes.

Also, scanner rooms are your friend. If you're having trouble exploring an area, consider setting up a small outpost with a scanner room and exploring via drones and scanning for fragments. You can also scan for most resources this way, all the while remaining safe and dry in your little spy lair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So, what do I do now? I've got a running base, 500 meter seamoth, I've upgraded everything i can and found every life pod I've learned of, and tried going deeper. It seems the plot progression has stopped though, and I'm left to just aimlessly explore.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Go deeper.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Go deeper.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Go deeper.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So it's literally just "explore aimlessly" now? I was really digging the plot progression and now feel adrift (:haw:).

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Go to places you've been before, look for holes in the ground. Deep holes.

Go deeper.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don’t really know where you’re at but yeah. Go explore more. Put beacons everywhere.

The radio usually directs you to where you need to go.

Try and find fragments you didn’t know existed. Those sometimes unlock more ways for you to go deeper.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zesty posted:

I don’t really know where you’re at but yeah. Go explore more. Put beacons everywhere.

The radio usually directs you to where you need to go.

Try and find fragments you didn’t know existed. Those sometimes unlock more ways for you to go deeper.

Yeah I've been following the radio but it hasn't dinged in a long time, and now I'm suddenly faced with just wandering. Its still fun, just seeing if there was something specific I should be working towards. I'll go deeper. I did find a place that my pda said was nearly perfect for causing terror in humans lol

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Have you found the fragments for the modification station? Moonpool?

Not really spoilery. Those are good things to find.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zesty posted:

Have you found the fragments for the modification station? Moonpool?

Not really spoilery. Those are good things to find.

Yup. I've got a moonpool and mod station, sensor room (the topography hologram is hard to read), a small garden inside, modded seamoth (500 depth and armor), been cutting laser doors, been to both islands, propulsion cannon,working on unlocking other vehicles. If I need to just explore and try to find new fragments that's fine, it just seemed weird that the plot got super spooky and crazy and then...stopped.

Edit: should I check out the Aurora?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 29, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yup. I've got a moonpool and mod station, sensor room (the topography hologram is hard to read), a small garden inside, modded seamoth (500 depth and armor), been cutting laser doors, been to both islands, propulsion cannon,working on unlocking other vehicles. If I need to just explore and try to find new fragments that's fine, it just seemed weird that the plot got super spooky and crazy and then...stopped.

Edit: should I check out the Aurora?

Yeah, the Aurora's absolutely your next stop if you've already got all that stuff. Bring your laser cutter and welder, and hell your other tools too. You'll find out your ultimate goal there, since you were wondering what happened to the story.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Welder? I haven't found a single fragment of that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Not really specific to you but it bears repeating, by the way: this game doesn't autosave at all so be diligent about that, this game is by no means bug-free

(e) was it a welder? Some kind of repair tool anyway, been a while.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Not really specific to you but it bears repeating, by the way: this game doesn't autosave at all so be diligent about that, this game is by no means bug-free

(e) was it a welder? Some kind of repair tool anyway, been a while.

Ohhhh ok, repair tool yeah. Got that. Also I save everytime I see something scary, so OFTEN.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ohhhh ok, repair tool yeah. Got that. Also I save everytime I see something scary, so OFTEN.

You need the repair tool to repair some doors in wrecks and the aurora so they can be opened. Also to fix your vehicles.
You also need your repair tool to fix the drive core in the aurora to remove the radiation hazard.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 30, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A propulsion cannon wouldn’t hurt. You know, just in case.

Smoooooth, Zesty.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Yup. I've got a moonpool and mod station

Just to check, you've been opening the glowing boxes that give you chips with blueprints for stuff, right? You might want to take a look at what you can upgrade with the mod station, especially fins, air tanks, and depth modules.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Just to check, you've been opening the glowing boxes that give you chips with blueprints for stuff, right? You might want to take a look at what you can upgrade with the mod station, especially fins, air tanks, and depth modules.

Yes, and already have been. Turbo fins, armored suit, hi cap tank

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
One of the drawbacks of the game is that vital blueprints are sometimes hidden in obscure areas, and so your progress can be at a standstill because you can't find a lasercutter or whatever.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oasx posted:

One of the drawbacks of the game is that vital blueprints are sometimes hidden in obscure areas, and so your progress can be at a standstill because you can't find a lasercutter or whatever.

Laser cutter fragments all scattered behind laser cutter doors.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So I'm a bit lost. I am fairly early into the game and the Aurora just blew up. I have made fins and an auxiliary O2 tank and some basic tools like the repair tools and the knife(which sucks). The only clue I have is a radio transmission that came in but when I swam over towards it I didn't find anything. I did find a cool alien place on an island and went inside and got rejected by the computer due to infection? Not really sure what to do next.
Edit: Also where are all these stupid blueprints people are talking about, I have found 1 in total.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

This.

This is how my game was.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah that was literally true for me too :mad:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Peachfart posted:

So I'm a bit lost. I am fairly early into the game and the Aurora just blew up. I have made fins and an auxiliary O2 tank and some basic tools like the repair tools and the knife(which sucks). The only clue I have is a radio transmission that came in but when I swam over towards it I didn't find anything. I did find a cool alien place on an island and went inside and got rejected by the computer due to infection? Not really sure what to do next.
Edit: Also where are all these stupid blueprints people are talking about, I have found 1 in total.

Blueprints from databoxes can be found in wrecks and in/near lifepods. Otherwise you scan fragments or whole items with your scanner (and scanning fragments from prints you have completed will give you 2 titanium.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Yeah I've been following the radio but it hasn't dinged in a long time, and now I'm suddenly faced with just wandering. Its still fun, just seeing if there was something specific I should be working towards. I'll go deeper. I did find a place that my pda said was nearly perfect for causing terror in humans lol
Before launch there were more distinct signals for the radio and plot locations. They removed a bunch of them in the lead up to launch because... Reasons? Most notable of the removals leading to lots of newcomers who didn't know it's exact location and entrypoints all going right past the penultimate plot location with the broad 'go deeper' goal.

it's all stuff that if you already know where it is, is easy to find. I just straight up swim to some choice spots outside of draw distance at game start now. But if you don't? The 3D nature of the game won't do most newcomers any favors. Particularly when keeping an eye out for resources and sea monsters as your priority.

Paracelsus posted:

The best time that happens is when they are hanging out with 90% of the battery charger fragments in the game :v:

The Dev decision to turn even more basic items into fragments just compounded the issue. Though I've had plenty of runs where I'd also stumble across all of my desired cyclops parts and mobile construction parts within minutes of deciding to look for them thanks to pure luck.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 30, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What can I do about these god damned independance day alien looking things that teleport me around? They are always right in the area I want to forage, and hound me like a loving dog.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

What can I do about these god damned independance day alien looking things that teleport me around? They are always right in the area I want to forage, and hound me like a loving dog.
Slap them with the rolled up newspaper beam and pray they get the hint. Sometimes they will stay gone if you physics them or stab until they go "Aw man, gently caress this I'm out of here!"

Other times they will immediately reappear to continue pranking you after you unload an inventory worth of crash fish into their face. I've had the most luck with the repulsion beam, assumedly because the sudden jump in distance might gently caress with their AI more.

Third option for when they decide to embrace the fact they can respawn at-will to gently caress with you eternal is to drag the Cyclops along to more places. Duck in and hope they get bored and leave instead of staring at you through the windshield waiting for you to come back for your prawn.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i like how the progression for those fuckers for everyone who plays this game is from "DAH WTF :stonk:" to "oh my god would you please just go away you stupid mutts" with seemingly no inbetween

ditto a couple certain larger fellows by endgame, now i think about it :v:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

1. Freeze them with the stasis rifle and stab them a few times with your knife. They'll teleport away and usually leave you alone after that.

2. Use a replusion cannon to punt them into the next zip code. This also works well for just about any other sub-leviathan critters that may annoy you.

3. Once you hit a certain plot point near the end of the game they'll stop attacking you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Peachfart posted:

Find blueprints by scanning wreckage fragments with the scanner. There are also crates that have some unique blueprints, located inside the big chunks of the Aurora on the seabed.

If you are stuck, check the emergency beacon in the lifepod: when it blinks red, you have a new message that will push the plot. Usually, these are "find/rescue lifepod X" and nearby will be some BPs for you to find or a big hole to go down!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Repulsion Cannon works well enough on the big fuckers too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The most satisfying way to deal with annoying fauna is reel it in with the Prawn grappler then punch it with the other fist

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GotLag posted:

The most satisfying way to deal with annoying fauna is reel it in with the Prawn grappler then punch it with the other fist

This but with a drill arm :getin:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

Repulsion Cannon works well enough on the big fuckers too.
I've even seen it work on reapers. Kinda. It would push me and the reaper both back about 30 feet. Though they were just that determined to eat my parked seamoth despite no-clipping them through a mountain, so eventually I just got in it and left :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Right. The big fuckers.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Go deeper.

ALSO, use scanner rooms, but make sure you power them well.
I recommend the mask HUD chip upgrade for the scanner rooms, it's nice.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

This but with a drill arm :getin:

I was laughing maniacally when I first got in my prawn and beat the living poo poo out of some Stalkers with my robofists. Sense of unlimited power indeed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I appreciate enjoying this game again vicariously through new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I was laughing maniacally when I first got in my prawn and beat the living poo poo out of some Stalkers with my robofists. Sense of unlimited power indeed.

Wait, you can just smash them with the grabber fist?