Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

QuarkJets posted:

e: I'm talking about The Last Of Us. Now I realize maybe you weren't talking about that...

Nah, we're on the same page. I was just an idiot who should've quoted to make it clearer.

Seems weird that people will overreact to shade thrown on a game because of some other person (possibly) having cultural wrongthink, but I guess I can potentially buy that reasoning in 2018/2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They turned into action games. Not a good fit.

Yeah I suppose, 1 goes from this slow buildup of running into some bats and them some wolves and then a bear and you are never really in direct danger from them. In 2 you run into a tiger within like 30 seconds

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

My impression (which may be completely wrong) was that a lot of chuds disliked the game for having a strong female character and that naturally filters down into people who didn't love the game forming a slight subconscious negative opinion of it. Note that I'm not saying that people who hate the game are chuds, just that widespread social cues are proven to influence group perception of products that aren't already widely loved or hated, resulting in a lot of polarized opinions.

e: I'm talking about The Last Of Us. Now I realize maybe you weren't talking about that...

it was popular and the latest placeholder for GAMES ARE SERIOUS ART, MOM, that's enough

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i like it because of the third person stealth combat, which is better than people give it credit for, and i think why the people in this thread like it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

QuarkJets posted:

My impression (which may be completely wrong) was that a lot of chuds disliked the game for having a strong female character and that naturally filters down into people who didn't love the game forming a slight subconscious negative opinion of it.

cis scum here, but this is absolutely a thing. It's only gotten worse since Left Behind released, and some of the jeering that happened during live audience trailer reveals of TLoU 2 was loving embarassing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont care for tLou because its mechanically kind of boring gameplay wise with some awful encounter design at some points and unfortunately for the game I aint here for your cutscenes about whatever the hell character crap you want me to care about. Its not a terrible game by any stretch, even if youll see it get tons of "its art!!!!" and people reactong to that, and it will always get a small nod from me for teaching a lot of people just how long a giraffes tongue is and freaking them the gently caress out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Anyone who thinks TLoU has boring mechanics hasn't played TLoU : Factions, and is therefor a chud.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Game is basically just a decent zombie movie*

Finally games are art!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

People think The Godfather, a decent crime drama, is art...so why not?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Finally games are art!!!

literally nobody in this thread said that lmao

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There's no such thing as art.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

my sister gave me an nes classic for christmas. Played it last night. Couldn't get past Bald Bull.
Shame

It's not your fault. It's input lag on modern TVs.

I'm an autist, so I have an actual CRT with older consoles hooked up to it for that very reason.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

Yes I'm not trying to smear this lovely engine it's just a fact. This is from their own documentation.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsDataPrivacy.html

Opting out is locked and disabling data collection is greyed out for users who don't have a Pro license

So if I bought a Unity game from Steam that didn't include an opt out button... I can sue Valve for billions of dollars because they infringed on my rights? I've found a way to secure my retirement

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

QuarkJets posted:

I think that Serious Sam is more about running around in huge open spaces than arenas

You do realize that in game design terms, "huge open spaces" are arenas right.

I'm not talking about a literal arena.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Is there a particular reason why this game is so divisive and why the same goon(s) come out of the woodwork to defend it whenever a harsh word is said? Wolf ET is the greatest multiplayer game ever but I don't give a single gently caress if any of you don't like it.

I have a tendency to defend it not because I care whether or not someone likes it, but because most of the people who poo poo on it like to so matter of factly state their their dumb opinions on it. It’s really not a very divisive game outside of this thread or circles of chuds due to the lesbian thing. Not that I think that is why some goons hate it. Seems more gameplay related here.

I just think the gameplay is really loving great, and when people bag on it it’s usually pretty apparent that they missed something fundamental about what makes the gameplay good and have decided to blame the game instead of their own lack of creativity.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What if I think its art but not a decent crime drama and, in fact, really loving boring?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Your posts are outsider art

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Is there a particular reason why this game is so divisive and why the same goon(s) come out of the woodwork to defend it whenever a harsh word is said? Wolf ET is the greatest multiplayer game ever but I don't give a single gently caress if any of you don't like it.

I'd agree if it was base RTCW multiplayer.

ET had worse maps and the added classes made it worse. Give me base RTCW and beach map all day.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

steinrokkan posted:

So if I bought a Unity game from Steam that didn't include an opt out button... I can sue Valve for billions of dollars because they infringed on my rights? I've found a way to secure my retirement

no but if they didn't disable it and didn't include opt-out, then the EU can fine the starving dev if you report them

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chomp8645 posted:

Finally games are art!!!

it's been so long walking in the wilderness

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

no but if they didn't disable it and didn't include opt-out, then the EU can fine the starving dev if you report them

Would they sue the dev if it's the Valve Corporation that sells, distributes and manages the product? That doesn't seem right.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Finally games are art!!!

It's pretty pathetic that's basically what video game version of oscar bait is, yeah

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Eye: Divine Cybermancy is loving terrible

But why is it so good???

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

A Smoke Break posted:

I'd agree if it was base RTCW multiplayer.

ET had worse maps and the added classes made it worse. Give me base RTCW and beach map all day.

Humbly disagree. Gold Rush, Fuel Dump, etc. were all gold. Radio was the only lovely one of the stock maps.

The only bad class was medic due to the final perk.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

steinrokkan posted:

Would they sue the dev if it's the Valve Corporation that sells, distributes and manages the product? That doesn't seem right.

Yes, because Valve doesn't necessarily guarantee GDPR compliance. If it pleased them, the EU could sue Valve in order to forbid the sale of non-compliant games in their territories, but that's not really a monetary case yknow? It would be resolved once Valve removed the offending titles from their storefront.

My understanding is that the GDPR isn't really something that you can sue for money over--it's just a guarantee of privacy-or-else--but technically the developer who released the software might be on the hook for violating/ignoring regulations. It's the responsibility of the individual, after all, but in reality, it's sadly just another way to gently caress the little guy while letting wealthier legal entities do whatever they want.

It'd probably go down like this: the dev made the conscious decision to use Unity, so it's their responsibility to make their game compliant with the regulations because they agreed to the fine print ToU when they installed the Unity Editor. Pay $500 and rectify the problem or you can't sell your game in our territories anymore.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 30, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean, I work back office for a major retailer (of the brick and mortar kind) and AFAIK all the responsibility for GDPR compliance falls onto us, so that's why I'm surprised. I guess software distribution works different. The idea of suing for cash was just a joke.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, I work back office for a major retailer (of the brick and mortar kind) and AFAIK all the responsibility for GDPR compliance falls onto us, so that's why I'm surprised. I guess software distribution works different. The idea of suing for cash was just a joke.

Put it this way: if your store stocked hard copies of Fallout 76 (lol) and Bethesda was mining all their players' private information with specific identifiers (and who knows they might be doing this anyway and it just hasn't been found yet :v:), would you be on the hook for something that was unknowable to you because you have no access to the source code? Or would it fall in the lap of Bethsoft?

Or if you were selling idk smart TVs or whatever, and the Chinese manufacturer hid some malicious data collection methods in the firmware, but it wasn't found for a couple years but by an enthusiast in their basement or whatever.

Would you be on the hook for that? Or would the government fine the original manufacturers?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy is art you fuckin dweebs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All video games are art, I scrawl on the gamestop before adding, but some are more art than others.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Humbly disagree. Gold Rush, Fuel Dump, etc. were all gold. Radio was the only lovely one of the stock maps.

The only bad class was medic due to the final perk.

Still, i'm glad someone appreciates RTCW as much as I do. I'd still say RTCW/ET are better than most modern online shooters of today.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
TLOU is a typical over-the-shoulder, cover shooter. The crafting is interesting but nothing revolutionary. Metal gear solid already defined the stealth genre 15 years ago, nothing special here. The story is something from the walking dead and people eat that poo poo up. It’s the Witcher but for zombie games. Nerd bait.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

the original deus ex is still fun to play in 2018 as long as you’re not someone who gets all screechy about dynamic vector skies or whatever the gently caress

Seriously how has Deus Ex aged badly? It's still fun as hell.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Smoke Break posted:

You do realize that in game design terms, "huge open spaces" are arenas right.

I'm not talking about a literal arena.

A lot of the "arenas" in Doom 4 aren't huge open spaces though, they're actually arenas.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 30, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I didnt really care for it when it came out and prefer the PS2 version to this day.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

It's the one game where emergent gameplay actually works.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Whorelord posted:

Eye: Divine Cybermancy is loving terrible

But why is it so good???

Are your legs OK?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Caesar Saladin posted:

you don't shoot guns in deus ex, you hit everything with an energy sword to avoid the worst combat ever, combat and tthat was gameplay so insanely awful even when it came out

And four years later Vampire Bloodlines came out, also with awful combat but remains insanely playable today (with mods).

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

A Smoke Break posted:

Still, i'm glad someone appreciates RTCW as much as I do. I'd still say RTCW/ET are better than most modern online shooters of today.

Yeah, it's an underappreciated gem. I put more hours into that game as a younger person than I have in any other game. It's not even close.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

A Smoke Break posted:

Yeah I love those games too but I get why they aren't popular. They take a lot of time to learn and one player can dominate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

A Smoke Break posted:

Yeah Roller Coaster Tycoon is great