Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's also bit in the civilopedia entry about Great Zimbabwe saying (sarcastically?) it's impressive that it was built in the jungle. It's in a semi-arid savannah region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Byzantine posted:

Are you sure you're not Mister Fantastic, cause that's an incredible stretch.

No? It's a really common problem in older historiography. The way in which Egypt was frequently not even considered part of Africa is another expression of the same idea, because of the underlying premise that Africa is savage and uncivilized. If, then, Egypt contributed in any way to the western cultural tradition it can't "truly" be African.

This is literally an idea that had common purchase until not too long ago. And it's born out of racism :shrug:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

No? It's a really common problem in older historiography. The way in which Egypt was frequently not even considered part of Africa is another expression of the same idea, because of the underlying premise that Africa is savage and uncivilized. If, then, Egypt contributed in any way to the western cultural tradition it can't "truly" be African.

This is literally an idea that had common purchase until not too long ago. And it's born out of racism :shrug:

I was intending that to refer to "using a Bible verse to describe an African wonder is racist", which is what it sounded like you were saying.

After checking, turns out calling Great Zimbabwe the residence of the Queen of Sheba was an imperialist theory, and Rhodesia outright ordered scientists to not suggest that it could've been built by native Africans. Which is...uh...wow, that that got put into 6.

Apologies.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Byzantine posted:

Are you sure you're not Mister Fantastic, cause that's an incredible stretch.

How familiar are you with the history of Rhodesia and its, ehm, "scholars"?

e: gently caress, keep being beaten. WELP. good to see people arguing in good faith anyway

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Byzantine posted:

I was intending that to refer to "using a Bible verse to describe an African wonder is racist", which is what it sounded like you were saying.

After checking, turns out calling Great Zimbabwe the residence of the Queen of Sheba was an imperialist theory, and Rhodesia outright ordered scientists to not suggest that it could've been built by native Africans. Which is...uh...wow, that that got put into 6.

Apologies.

Oh, yeah. I should have been clearer that associating the Great Zimbabwe with biblical traditions to undermine it's African origins was part of a long standing tradition.

But that is WHY they were inclined to do so.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's bizarre that it takes calling something that sucks in plenty of other ways, "racist" before internet contrarians can possibly concede the point.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Even thought the style is all over the place, I think the only people who put real effort into VI is the art team. The stupid cartoony look of the governors and some of the leaders is jarring, but I get the feeling they are being pulled in 80 different directions. It's hard to make something look decent when your orders are "We're going to add districts, so it's very important that you make all of that information visible on that map, but make it so that it can look good on a cell phone. Also, try to make it look serious enough for our current player base, but also silly enough so the advertisements will pop when we try to market it as a facebook game."

Despite the randomness of the art style, we do see them add cool graphical additions in patches like desert mountains or aurora borealis, which shows me that at least the graphics team is trying.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 30, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Byzantine posted:

ah ok i'm not too familiar with my bible history, i guess i kinda just assumed the queen of sheba was an african ruler who appeared in biblical texts

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ugh, I almost forgot how all districts have the same Greco-Roman/European aesthetic regardless of era and civilization, while cities go from all the various tilesets to generic skyscrapers over the course of history. I can only imagine what actually happens in the dev room, because there's a ton of touches like civs getting unique designs for all the tiny city center buildings like palaces and monuments and Georgia's lovely red brick cities that just disappear overnight when you discover steam power.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Civ5's cities retain a unique look for every culture. Even when everything's replaced by skyscrapers, they retain the culture's city color scheme.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, that was specifically a VI complaint. The sandstone-looking skyscrapers that American civs got in V might have been a bit silly, but by golly do I miss them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
America, appropriately enough, got the European cities in 5. Brazil got the Native American cities.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cythereal posted:

Civ5's cities retain a unique look for every culture. Even when everything's replaced by skyscrapers, they retain the culture's city color scheme.

it always amuses me that polynesia uses a reskin of the east asian building modelset but all the tiled roof textures are replaced with thatched grass

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

ah ok i'm not too familiar with my bible history, i guess i kinda just assumed the queen of sheba was an african ruler who appeared in biblical texts

She is, maybe. Nobody knows what or where "Sheba" was. The story I heard was she was from somewhere in Ethiopia, which is why the Ark of the Covenant is supposedly there now too.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah I was just going to chime in that I really, really liked the Native American late-game city art in V. I still remember the first time I stopped to take a look at a Modern Era Aztec city and thought about how cool it was.

Still steamrolled that poo poo with Artillery and Infanty but yeah, very memorable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The White Dragon posted:

it always amuses me that polynesia uses a reskin of the east asian building modelset but all the tiled roof textures are replaced with thatched grass

Do they? I thought they used the Native American set.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

People are probably 'bitter' about the tech quotes because it treats everything like a joke, it feels VERY dated when the zeitgeist has already swung back the other way into sincerity.

Also, unsurprisingly, people don't like it when they actually accomplish building a wonder and the game acts like its stupid and you're stupid for building it. It's like if instead of the Unreal Tournament announcer going "DOMINATING" it had a sarcastic line about how your competition must not be very good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cythereal posted:

Do they? I thought they used the Native American set.

I'm pretty sure it's the EA set, but maybe I'm just seeing pagoda-type shapes where there aren't any. They do use the Native American bgm set though... it's definitely an eclectic DLC lol

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Man, Colonization really comes so close to still holding up, but the dated interface and kinda lovely revolution just feels crappy. Has any game come out that captured that same sense of fun?

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's fair, and I know a lot of people hate playing sub-optimally, but I maintain that the best way to enjoy V is ignoring that it has a single, optimal play. Settle as many cities as you want, go into social policy trees that arent's Tradition/Rationality/Ideology, and kick the difficulty a level down from the level at which you could beat the game, and you'll have a better time.

V is definitely worth 5-10 bucks, even if you wind up hating everything it changed from IV.
I can confirm that this is excellent advice, and has really extended the amount of time I've had fun playing Civ 5.

This is from a game I did as the Inuit with the Barbarians Evolved mod. Was it optimal for me to settle 25+ cities? No, not really.

Was it fun to take out the Barbarians and slowly liberate the world, settling Inuit cities and liberating Civs and City States along the way? Oh hell yes it was fun. As a bonus, the Barbarian civ acts as a common enemy for everyone, so it's really easy to make friends with the AI.

Dammit, now I've got a hankering to load up Civ 5 again.:argh:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Saladin Rising posted:

If you do, just remember that Firaxis updated the game to include a launcher that resets your graphics settings and begs you to play Civ 6 instead. I should check to see if there's a way to get around that.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

berryjon posted:

If you do, just remember that Firaxis updated the game to include a launcher that resets your graphics settings and begs you to play Civ 6 instead. I should check to see if there's a way to get around that.
They couldn't take 2 minutes to fix the Krakatoa bug, but they can take the time to do that. Sounds about right.:v:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

berryjon posted:

huh? I just hit the Civ5 launch button from Steam, goes directly into game as always. You using some weird version?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Beamed posted:

Man, Colonization really comes so close to still holding up, but the dated interface and kinda lovely revolution just feels crappy. Has any game come out that captured that same sense of fun?

Which Colonization are you talking about? Because I was a huge fan of the original, far more than the contemporary Civilization 2. Shuffling materials around, making higher quality goods out of them, and then shipping them to Europe to earn mad money was really engaging. The economy system blew Civ's out of the water.

The remake was also cool but couldn't quite capture the original's feeling imho.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Serephina posted:

huh? I just hit the Civ5 launch button from Steam, goes directly into game as always. You using some weird version?

That’s... odd, even civ vi is now forced behind a launcher?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

onesixtwo posted:

That’s... odd, even civ vi is now forced behind a launcher?

Holy poo poo, I just checked Civ6 and yes it's behind a launcher with nothing but a blank page and a button that says 'play'. Quick googling suggests it exists to serve Ads?

What the gently caress are they thinking?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Serephina posted:

Holy poo poo, I just checked Civ6 and yes it's behind a launcher with nothing but a blank page and a button that says 'play'. Quick googling suggests it exists to serve Ads?

What the gently caress are they thinking?

yeah this ugly poo poo doesn't go away, you somehow have network settings to avoid the launcher from loading..?

civ v you can evidently set it to pull the previous build through a beta build tweak, but I can't try the same on vi due to same version compatibility issues with PYDT.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Which Colonization are you talking about? Because I was a huge fan of the original, far more than the contemporary Civilization 2. Shuffling materials around, making higher quality goods out of them, and then shipping them to Europe to earn mad money was really engaging. The economy system blew Civ's out of the water.

The remake was also cool but couldn't quite capture the original's feeling imho.

The original. The remake had some cool ideas, especially with one of the overhaul mods, but yeah. FreeCol was also better than I think it gets credit for, and is still active.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The White Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the EA set, but maybe I'm just seeing pagoda-type shapes where there aren't any. They do use the Native American bgm set though... it's definitely an eclectic DLC lol

It is. It's most obvious if you compare cities in the modern era; Polynesian skyscrapers have the same softer rounded look as the Asian ones, with a darker, orange-hued color scheme instead of the light and greenish one, while American skyscrapers have a blocky, pyramid-like aesthetic.

Saladin Rising posted:

I can confirm that this is excellent advice, and has really extended the amount of time I've had fun playing Civ 5.

This is from a game I did as the Inuit with the Barbarians Evolved mod. Was it optimal for me to settle 25+ cities? No, not really.

Was it fun to take out the Barbarians and slowly liberate the world, settling Inuit cities and liberating Civs and City States along the way? Oh hell yes it was fun. As a bonus, the Barbarian civ acts as a common enemy for everyone, so it's really easy to make friends with the AI.

Those mods sound pretty baller. I like how you're buddies with Rome while also holding Rome.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah, neither Civ 5 or Civ 6 are like the old civ games. Civ 5 tried to do its own thing but is heavily flawed. Civ 6 tried to fix a lot of those issues and doubled down on some others issues resulting in a game that went 2 steps forward and 2 steps back.

The complete edition of civ5 is like five bucks so give that a shot if you wanna try one of them. As flawed as it is, it's still has the 'one more turn' feel and you don't really encounter the worst of its issues until you've put like a couple hundred hours into it.

Did I just miss a big sale, because a quick peek at Steam says Civ 5 Complete is $49.99 at 67% off.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The base game does not seem to be discounted at all.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

The base game does not seem to be discounted at all.

Is it often discounted? Civ 4 BTS is like seven and half bucks, and while I'd be willing to pay like twenty of Civ 5, I'm not going to be paying 49 dollars for a game that already has a sequel with expansions out.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Did I just miss a big sale, because a quick peek at Steam says Civ 5 Complete is $49.99 at 67% off.

20 bucks here

https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CIV5CE-GN/

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i just won my first game, playing Indonesia. civ is kind of history-lite but this is the first time i’ve been able to play as myself (indonesian) in any meaningful way and that feels nice

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Casual Encountess posted:

i just won my first game, playing Indonesia. civ is kind of history-lite but this is the first time i’ve been able to play as myself (indonesian) in any meaningful way and that feels nice

Indonesia is in 5 as well, should that be of interest to you.

Or if you're a fellow freak who likes Beyond Earth, Indonesia is specified to be one of the two founding members of Polystralia.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I had an account with them once upon a time, I'm surprised they still exist.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Casual Encountess posted:

Same way I felt about Nubia, finally a character in a game who looks just like me. Unfortunately I have yet to win with her but I'll keep at it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
One thing civ doesn't do, and its kind of bizarre since you'd think it's the sort of thing that the 'dazzle' department would have wanted in, is seeing your own leader when you're playing. Like, when some stuffy french aristocrat comes complaining to my empire about whatever, I want myself as Hojo, kimono and sword and all, to go tell them to eat a back of dicks. Such an easy way of adding immersion, such opportunity wasted. You ironically never get to see your favorite leaders in-game, because you're too busy playing as them =[

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Serephina posted:

One thing civ doesn't do, and its kind of bizarre since you'd think it's the sort of thing that the 'dazzle' department would have wanted in, is seeing your own leader when you're playing. Like, when some stuffy french aristocrat comes complaining to my empire about whatever, I want myself as Hojo, kimono and sword and all, to go tell them to eat a back of dicks. Such an easy way of adding immersion, such opportunity wasted. You ironically never get to see your favorite leaders in-game, because you're too busy playing as them =[

Kick ambassadors into a pit as Leonidas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Having a good 6 game where Mvemba is right on my tail for a science victory, though I should be able to finish before he does as Harald.

One thing that I wish it would do is note when cities are covered by a factory or other building that has a radius and highlight the building in the production queue as a warning. Another one is being able to build national parks on any four unoccupied tiles.

The religion game is still a little irritating, but it's definitely fun if you can get invested in the game you're in.