Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh hey I've been meaning to ask: how did your surgery go?

Living in area with people and not being some weird forest hermit = being in the ICU

??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grape posted:

Living in area with people and not being some weird forest hermit = being in the ICU

??

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813092&pagenumber=881&perpage=40#post490952008

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

You were better off going with my explanation lol.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Congrats dummy, you got fishmeched. Plz stop quoting him out of consideration for the rest of us.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

There are some national borders that are suspiciously obvious on this map. Did Sweden/Finland really cut down every last tree, and gain it back recently, but Norway did not? Same with the US/Canada, where it seems the Americans are nothing but "gains" while the Canadians are all "current".

I might be misreading the map, but it seems like it might be just coloring countries with expanding forests darker green, though that's not what the key seems to imply. Obviously the red/brown bits aren't sorted by nation.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
No timeframe given, so this is very weird. Like... the eastern US has a net gain of forest compared to when? 1950? 1900? And Haiti is deforested but doesn't show as a "net loss".

Very curious about the hard political border between western Canada and the US. Is that just because the countries have differing definitions for net gain, or ...?

Scandinavia has never looked more like the Grinch's dong.

Disappointed that they didn't fix far east Russia wrapping over to the left.

^^^ Good point, the only country that has both "current cover" and "net gain" is Brazil.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The northeastern US state I live in was like 80% deforested in 1900 and is now over 90% forest.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Minenfeld! posted:

The northeastern US state I live in was like 80% deforested in 1900 and is now over 90% forest.

Massachusetts?
I only just learned Cape Cod had been deforested like 100 years ago.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hate these sort of maps, but I also hate New Jersey. Like, more than anyone in the United States or any foreigners, I hate New Jersey and people from there. Except for the Shore. Don't know if the map is right because I'm not going to give a gently caress about Jersey.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

Yeah, same, so it made sense at first... but is the same true of Alaska? But not heavily logged and currently forested British Columbia?

But yeah, New England is pretty incredible in that it's completely forested today but pretty much all of it is little over a century or so old (except for parts of Maine). People really invested in farming here, not to mention all the industrial uses of lumber back in the day, but then it turned out that there was absolutely no reason to farm here when Ohio existed, and industrialization just made farming/logging here a quaint anachronism. They apparently do studies here on how forests develop because people have been documenting everything about how they come back.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I hate these sort of maps, but I also hate New Jersey. Like, more than anyone in the United States or any foreigners, I hate New Jersey and people from there. Except for the Shore. Don't know if the map is right because I'm not going to give a gently caress about Jersey.

The hate for Jersey is overblown, I don't really understand it. :shrug:

Except for their barbaric highways, which suck enormous dicks.

Eiba posted:

Yeah, same, so it made sense at first... but is the same true of Alaska? But not heavily logged and currently forested British Columbia?

But yeah, New England is pretty incredible in that it's completely forested today but pretty much all of it is little over a century or so old (except for parts of Maine). People really invested in farming here, not to mention all the industrial uses of lumber back in the day, but then it turned out that there was absolutely no reason to farm here when Ohio existed, and industrialization just made farming/logging here a quaint anachronism. They apparently do studies here on how forests develop because people have been documenting everything about how they come back.

Oh yeah now that I think about it that's why we have the regional phenomena of all those stone walls snaking around in forests.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Eiba posted:

By my understanding NAFTA has been bad for American logging. That's almost certainly the reason for Washington seeing a net forest gain so it wouldn't be terribly surprising for it also to be the reason for Alaska.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

SA should requre real names and photos

Put up.

On the other hand this is probably the only thing that would get fishmech to understand the difference between locally public and globally public.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If no-one is anonymous doxing becomes impossible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dont be mean to me posted:

Put up.

On the other hand this is probably the only thing that would get fishmech to understand the difference between locally public and globally public.

LOL what are you talking about like half the forums already knows my name and I got a sweet uv reactive dye job i'd love to show ya.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

FreeKillB posted:

Why does this notion only correspond to photos and not to videos?

I was stumped on this for a bit but I think there is a fundamental difference that actually illustrates pretty well why the photo is okay. It’s a snapshot, the equivalent of walking down the street and getting a normal impression of it. You can’t see anything more on street view than you can get by walking past a house in a slightly nosy but basically normal way.
To get the equivalent of a video, by comparison, you’d have to pull up a chair and camp outside, staring at the place. Which...probably does actually have legal consequences in a bunch of places? You’re saying it like it’s just an artificial difference but I think the two actually pretty well parallel completely different real life behaviors with pretty different associations.

Also out of the abstract, giving free access to video over your place makes it miles easier for burglars to figure out when you’re home and not, which is a pretty genuine consequence and something they can’t do in the real world anywhere near as easily. Does street view have any actual impact like that? People are despairing over it for as yet undefined ~privacy~ reasons, but aside from feelings of uncomfortableness, I’m not sure anyone’s given an example of what someone having free access to a still image of your unblurred house actually means. If there is, I could see the argument having some merit, but right now I think the satellite image is way more of a thing that impacts us personally than anything someone can actually do with street view. Whining about corporations having a picture of the outside of your house seems especially weird, especially since they have the loving thing anyway, they have to have the image to blur it you know.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Ardennes posted:

It is answerable but I am not sure the maps thread is where to discusss it, there is a Soviet history thread around though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874294

Thanks.

I got ill with a flu before finishing the thread, but already got a answer: Industrialization + mobilization of womens = rapid grown. Grown is really good for a society. But industrialization has end when is completed, and the next thing is des-industrialization, that is very costly to a society. The URSS grown was because did not had a industrialization process before, and once they finished it, they where hosed up.

This raised more questions on me, what is exactly des-industrialization and why is neccesary. And if the path for a society is to get rid of the industry.. where the industry moves?. I have to read about this this more.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
More like echt Fisch

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Squalid posted:

Congrats dummy, you got fishmeched. Plz stop quoting him out of consideration for the rest of us.

Here's a zoomable, interactive map where you can apply various layers.
https://www.globalforestwatch.org/

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Here's a zoomable, interactive map where you can apply various layers.
https://www.globalforestwatch.org/

Sweden / Finland is confusing. Net gain of forest? When in history were either of those countries clear cut of their forests? Shouldn’t like 95% of both countries be light green like Norway?

Cool map / link though.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Saladman posted:

Sweden / Finland is confusing. Net gain of forest? When in history were either of those countries clear cut of their forests? Shouldn’t like 95% of both countries be light green like Norway?

Cool map / link though.

Sweden had massive use of wood when they had armies and fleets, like 16xx etc. Also it might be getting a bit warmer there thanks to global warming which might make it easier on trees.
Finland had long a massive paper industry which I think I read is going worse than it was. Also used to be part of Sweden, see above.
(TBF, Norway way sometimes also part of Sweden or Denmark and they got wood from there too).

Also:
- net gain does not imply it was clear cut. One tree more is a net gain.
- the coloration is confusing: light green shows current wood (part of a country). Dark green shows the whole country getting more wood. At least up there.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Also the french Aquitaine Region on the map is confusing me because it's both a net loss and a net gain zone on the map, which kinda make sense since most pines were planted in the dune of the Landes' artificial forest to prevent erosion and kill the local swamps, the old trees keep falling because of the sometime violent coastal winds while new ones keep getting planted to keep the forest up. It's a constant plantation. I think the map show where trees were cut and where trees were planted up and the net gain/loss part is pretty imprecise.

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013

Saladman posted:

Cool map / link though.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Why are they using 3 green colors, while lore has only 2 defined?

I'm living on a red dot in Northern Finland and there's literally miles of forests to north of me, but it is colored only medium green.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

adhuin posted:

Why are they using 3 green colors, while lore has only 2 defined?

I'm living on a red dot in Northern Finland and there's literally miles of forests to north of me, but it is colored only medium green.

Medium green looks to means existing forest, even though it isn't shown on the legend.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Seriously, European reforestation is one of those massive giant unsung success stories you never really hear about.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

RagnarokZ posted:

Seriously, European reforestation is one of those massive giant unsung success stories you never really hear about.

Ehh, even countries as forested as Finland have biodiversity issues because the forest is overwhelmingly in industrial use. There's forest and then there's forest

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RagnarokZ posted:

People just had less use for wood once they started making boats out of metal, household items out of plastic, and the generalization of electricity meant that you could heat your house without a fireplace.

Also we need like perhaps 5% as much agricultural land as we did in 1900 so we can let the forest grow back on lands that are no longer in use. At least where rich arable land isn't turned into endless fields of commercial warehouses.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

People just had less use for wood once they started making boats out of metal, household items out of plastic, and the generalization of electricity meant that you could heat your house without a fireplace.

Also we need like perhaps 5% as much agricultural land as we did in 1900 so we can let the forest grow back on lands that are no longer in use. At least where rich arable land isn't turned into endless fields of commercial warehouses.

5%? I know modern fertilizer and mechanization is great but it’s not 20x better than ox-drawn ploughs and crop rotation... is it?

BBC has an article a couple days ago about Latvia along these lines, due to its population becoming nearly 100% urban and the population declining by 33% over the past thirty years. Estonia and Lithuania are in more or less the same boat

I always find it funny when pro-growth news sources like The Economist wring their hands about lack of GDP and population growth in Japan. Like it’s a bad thing to get "stuck" at Japanese levels of human development. Oh nooo people having good living standards and more open spaces at a gradual peaceful pace.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saladman posted:

5%? I know modern fertilizer and mechanization is great but it’s not 20x better than ox-drawn ploughs and crop rotation... is it?

Import food from somewhere with a longer growing season. :ssh:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Saladman posted:

I always find it funny when pro-growth news sources like The Economist wring their hands about lack of GDP and population growth in Japan. Like it’s a bad thing to get "stuck" at Japanese levels of human development. Oh nooo people having good living standards and more open spaces at a gradual peaceful pace.

Especially since afaik, Japan has also maintained decent increases in per capita GDP. Although looking at a graph of that just now it looks stagnant. I think that might in part be due to currency fuckery.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

The difference is very obviously that we just get our wood from elsewhere, the west is still to blame for the deforestation.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

That's hyperbole, I didn't bother to look for actual statistics on this.

ELO Musk posted:

The difference is very obviously that we just get our wood from elsewhere, the west is still to blame for the deforestation.

That too.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
We do probably need much less wood than we used to but boy do we "need" a lot of palm oil

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Squalid posted:

Especially since afaik, Japan has also maintained decent increases in per capita GDP. Although looking at a graph of that just now it looks stagnant. I think that might in part be due to currency fuckery.

GDP per capita of working age population has been increasing in line with the rest of the world IIRC, it's just that their working age population has been shrinking for a while and the overall population is declining now, too. South Korea is only a bit behind Japan's trajectory on that front and China is only a bit behind them.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ras Het posted:

Ehh, even countries as forested as Finland have biodiversity issues because the forest is overwhelmingly in industrial use. There's forest and then there's forest

It still seems like the overall trend is towards improvement.

Apparently farmers and rural folk in France are pissed because wolves have returned and are eating their livestock. I mean, it sucks if you're the guy to lose a goat but you need a pretty robust ecosystem to maintain apex predators like wolves.

Saladman posted:

BBC has an article a couple days ago about Latvia along these lines, due to its population becoming nearly 100% urban and the population declining by 33% over the past thirty years. Estonia and Lithuania are in more or less the same boat

I read The Economist (actually its where the wolf story above came from) and the hand wringing tends to come from worries about a small population of workers supporting the ever increasing medical and care needs of the larger elderly population. The old eventually die and no longer need support, but the birth rate keeps falling so the old outnumbering the young is set to continue for a long time. Though I agree that the country is so far handling things very well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, it has very serious implications for social security in any country that actually has a well-developed social security system - which I guess excludes the US and some parts of Eastern Europe. It's not so much about 'growth' (which most people will agree is not a desirable long-term goal as far as the population is concerned) but rather sustainability.

There are also some worries about it leading to a predominantly conservative attitude that's afraid of innovation and radical changes, but that seems more anecdotal to me, even if I don't necessarily think it's a good thing that boomers are by far the most important voting bloc in Western countries today.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

In Norway at least there are some species that are dependent on meadows, which were traditionally maintained by grazing but are now mostly turning into forest.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Count Roland posted:

It still seems like the overall trend is towards improvement.

Apparently farmers and rural folk in France are pissed because wolves have returned and are eating their livestock. I mean, it sucks if you're the guy to lose a goat but you need a pretty robust ecosystem to maintain apex predators like wolves.

Yeah I mean those are good signs but the progress is slow, particularly in the middle of the global collapse of ecosystems

That reminded me, I learned the other day that there's much more jackals in Europe than there are wolves, which makes sense since they thrive in areas where are no wolves, but it seems... culturally off

Grevling posted:

In Norway at least there are some species that are dependent on meadows, which were traditionally maintained by grazing but are now mostly turning into forest.

Tangential, but this relates to farming economics too: in Finland something like ten times more land is used for growing fodder than for direct grazing, and harvesting the fodder is obviously more destructive to bird fledglings, rodents etc than the grazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Kepu biomonoculturizes every time.