Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

<Insert Tweet Here> from trump talking about how awesome the saudis are.

edit: I don't have any dog pics, here is an alpaca that my aunt has.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mendrian posted:

"It's insane that lawyers should refuse clients for any reason!", declares the thread breathlessly.

Meanwhile minorities are denied representation every day and nobody says anything. Truly it is a mystery.

That's true, no one has ever said anything about it :rolleyes:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Tbh I'm blown away that people react so strongly that it would be an absolute travesty if literal loving nazis were forced to be represented by public defenders while some poor PoC who gets drugs planted on him by the police is expected to be happy that he has the right to a public defender.

I get that wording it like this is 50% strawman, but that's what the outrage around it boils down to. There's way more outrage about the idea of nazis being forced into finding a public defender than towards the justice system's hosed up state of affairs as a whole.

What if it were possible to be upset about ANYONE being forced to go without legal representation *brain expands to encompass the entire concept of space and time*

Crabtree posted:

It'd just be nice if that reality switched spaces towards Nazis, because sadly, that is apparently when a bunch of white nerds start to get all bothered about people not being represented well.

Do we need to preface every post with a txt file containing every opinion we have on any conceivable topic to prevent this sort of confusion over what other issues we care about?

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 30, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the cruelty is the point.

https://twitter.com/KurtSchlichter/status/1079191597449850881

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Why would you tweet that...?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I would give anything to be locked in a windowless room with Schlichter.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How come the new Congress gets seated right after New Years while the President waits until January 20?

Doesn't that give a new Senate time to review Cabinet officials for a new President?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Starmaker posted:

Because a large part of the Republican electorate are monsters, and virtue signalling to them about how much you hate people different from them is their bread and butter

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

trump is almost completely incapable of taking administrative actions that he is legally empowered to, i don't know why anyone thinks he could somehow do things that are not only illegal but would also require a massive, logistically-difficult multi-agency effort

he'll tweet something about it and nothing will happen

Technically, that would count as an attempt.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Live toasty my friend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Starmaker posted:

because they're soulless husks.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Cuomo really wants to sit on Rahm Emanuel's skull throne labeled "worst loving Democrat in office" and he's not gonna let other people try to muscle in on his game.

12 weeks paid bereavement leave seems like an incredibly long time. I rarely find myself disagreeing with those who want to grant workers more benefits, but I can't be the only one who thinks this.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Tbh I'm blown away that people react so strongly that it would be an absolute travesty if literal loving nazis were forced to be represented by public defenders while some poor PoC who gets drugs planted on him by the police is expected to be happy that he has the right to a public defender.

Bringing dog tax back

Socializing the justice system would mean the rich would ensure that the lawyers had enough time resources etc.. It's the same thing as public schools, if we force the rich to send their kids to public school they would help ensure decent public schools.

Cute dog.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

who is this loathsome oval office of a human being? i vaguely recognize the name.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who is this loathsome oval office of a human being? i vaguely recognize the name.

Twitter personality nee' Army National Guard pseudo tough guy lawyer who spends his time licking Trump's boots.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The thing that will really piss Trump off about a veto override is that it would mean that McConnell betrayed him, twice (once for allowing the initial vote, once for the veto override).

In addition to veto override I think there is a real possibility that Trump just makes poo poo up, says he's found another way to secure the border (military deployment, whatever), and then moves on repeating it over and over until even he believes the lie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Twitter personality nee' Army National Guard pseudo tough guy lawyer who spends his time licking Trump's boots.

i know cruelty and bulling is the point but like how do these dudes not eat a gun. none of my conservative relatives are this loving heartless or at least openly so.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
The question is: does the Senate decide that reopening the government is worth all the short-term hell they're going to catch from Trump's loyal fans?

Groovelord Neato posted:

because they're soulless husks.

The Trump supporter's constant refrain is "I spend my whole life virtue signaling to make everyone think I care about things, so therefore everyone who professes to give a poo poo about anything besides themselves is virtue signaling too."

It's utterly incomprehensible to them that anyone in this world isn't a selfish rear end in a top hat.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 30, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The question is: does the Senate decide that reopening the government is worth all the short-term hell they're going to catch from Trump's loyal fans?

the morons who actively want the shutdown over the wall are minority. they will take the hit because they know if they don't they are even more hosed in 2020.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i know cruelty and bulling is the point but like how do these dudes not eat a gun. none of my conservative relatives are this loving heartless or at least openly so.

Schlichter would've gleefully gassed thousands of [insert minority here] at the behest of a strongman leader given the opportunity. He's a soulless shitbag that probably doesn't deserve the oxygen of my unending scorn--but i'll lend it anyway.

A truly reprehensible, irredeemable human. I hope he dies of stomach cancer.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tacier posted:

12 weeks paid bereavement leave seems like an incredibly long time. I rarely find myself disagreeing with those who want to grant workers more benefits, but I can't be the only one who thinks this.

Even if it is, so what? gently caress bosses. Give workers more time off, we already work too much as it is.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the morons who actively want the shutdown over the wall are minority. they will take the hit because they know if they don't they are even more hosed in 2020.

I wonder if McConnell is smart enough to go "They might whine about this for a month, maybe two, but after that he'll do something even dumber and their attention will refocus elsewhere. Plus, I'm not falling on my sword for Donald Trump."

Lightning Knight posted:

Even if it is, so what? gently caress bosses. Give workers more time off, we already work too much as it is.

I would have appreciated 12 weeks, but honestly, 2-3 weeks after my mother died, I was so restless that I was almost glad I had to go back to work. Needed something to distract me.

That said, other people's experience may be different, so :shrug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The Trump supporter's constant refrain is "I spend my whole life virtue signaling to make everyone think I care about things, so therefore everyone who professes to give a poo poo about anything besides themselves is virtue signaling too."

It's utterly incomprehensible to them that anyone in this world isn't a selfish rear end in a top hat.

best part is that's a sixty something guy who's only ever worked for relatives.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

LeeMajors posted:

Schlichter would've gleefully gassed thousands of [insert minority here] at the behest of a strongman leader given the opportunity. He's a soulless shitbag that probably doesn't deserve the oxygen of my unending scorn--but i'll lend it anyway.

Chron's disease. It is an thing where your auto-immune system thinks part of your digestive tract is actually something not supposed to be in your body.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Tacier posted:

I was going to say this. People absolutely should get paid time off to mourn the death of a close family member, but anything more than 1-2 weeks seems excessive. Plus on a personal level I've found that getting back into the routine of things helps me get past the grief. I can't imagine sitting around doing nothing but feeling sad for 12 weeks after a family member died.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it only seems excessive because you've been conditioned by this terrible society. americans get a stupidly low amount of time off in general.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

yeah. this is up their with lewendowsky comment over the kid with down syndrome being seperated from her parents.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I wonder if McConnell is smart enough to go "They might whine about this for a month, maybe two, but after that he'll do something even dumber and their attention will refocus elsewhere. Plus, I'm not falling on my sword for Donald Trump."

none of the senate outside the suicide caucus is gonna take a hit for trump at this point. if it keeps this poo poo up, the knives will come out.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm sure McConnell would be perfectly happy passing a clean CR but if Trump vetoes it and congress bypasses the veto McConnell will get all the blame from the MAGA dipshits. That's why he's refusing to bring any bill Trump won't sign up for consideration, he doesn't want to be the only one forced to eat poo poo.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

I know there's a lot of horrible things going on, but there is something just so insidiuosly evil about how this sentiment is just so casual. Cost and productivity. No excuse. No humanity. Just, "Think about the productivity!"

"However, members have shared with us that the benefits provided by the bereavement leave bill would have posed undue difficulties on business in both cost and staff productivity."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tacier posted:

I kinda had this thought after seeing the length, but considering it more, it's probably about giving people time to actually sort out the estate/deal with funeral and burial planning, and basically all the various legal and logistics of dealing with a death, on top of the emotional issues.

From a company centric perspective: 3 Months of paid leave does sound like a lot, but also consider it could just as well be 3 months of paid sloppy work that will cost more to fix.

Seph posted:

I was going to say this. People absolutely should get paid time off to mourn the death of a close family member, but anything more than 1-2 weeks seems excessive. Plus on a personal level I've found that getting back into the routine of things helps me get past the grief. I can't imagine sitting around doing nothing but feeling sad for 12 weeks after a family member died.

I imagine it's one thing if it's a more distant relative, but if it's intimidate family, 1-2 weeks is really not going to be enough for most. Routine might help some, but not all. Plus I imagine it's not like it's 12 weeks of mandatory paid leave. Something that's flexible may be a tremendous help because you might be good to work a few days, but then have bad days crop up a bit later.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 30, 2018

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i vaguely recognize the name.

Probably because it sounds like a name they’d give a nazi in an Indiana Jones movie. It’s just the deja vu of the matching personality.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 30, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ZypherIM posted:

Chron's disease. It is an thing where your auto-immune system thinks part of your digestive tract is actually something not supposed to be in your body.

How about colitis? John Kennedy had it--it's an inflammation of the colon that makes eating and making GBS threads extremely painful.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

it only seems excessive because you've been conditioned by this terrible society. americans get a stupidly low amount of time off in general.

Actually I’m looking for the take that Americans are idiots for grieving the loss of their loved ones and not hosting a giant month-long celebration.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Schlichter's tweet isn't really surprising when you think about the trajectory of the American right-wing over the last couple decades. I mean, everybody agrees that part of what propelled Trump to where he's at now is his willingness to say the quiet part loud. If you want to continue to stay relevant in that sort of environment you have to keep stepping up your game more and more, people just aren't satisfied with crypto-hate any more.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The real problem for McConnell is that if he pisses off Trump then Trump might stop listening to him about which judges to nominate.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Republicans are now vice signalling.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

The real problem for McConnell is that if he pisses off Trump then Trump might stop listening to him about which judges to nominate.

Well, McConnell has nothing to fear on that front, because he controls whether or not those judges get approved.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I agree that more time off is a good thing (for Americans in particular) but tying it to bereavement is kinda silly. It would make more sense to have a federal minimum PTO and let people decide how to use it.

What's the rationale for 12 weeks bereavement anyway? I could see a few weeks to make funeral arrangements, figure out the estate, and get past the initial, most intense stage of grief. But beyond that I don't really see how the next 9-10 weeks really helps anyone and why it should be the responsibility of the employer.

edit:

Oxyclean posted:

I imagine it's one thing if it's a more distant relative, but if it's intimidate family, 1-2 weeks is really not going to be enough for most. Routine might help some, but not all. Plus I imagine it's not like it's 12 weeks of mandatory paid leave. Something that's flexible may be a tremendous help because you might be good to work a few days, but then have bad days crop up a bit later.

This is a fair point, I was thinking of it more like a consecutive 12 week chunk to be used right after (similar to parental leave). It would certainly be useful to have extra days throughout the following months to use when you're having bad days, though 12 weeks still seems unnecessarily long to me. I'd imagine there would be much more support for this in the 4-6 week range rather than an entire quarter of the year.

Seph fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 30, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Republicans are now vice signalling.

they actually believe it though.

Seph posted:

why it should be the responsibility of the employer.

because the worker produced for you much more than you paid them in the time they weren't off for bereavement.

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, but we should address that by giving workers better benefits in general and not stapling them to specific situations.

normalize it for that and then make the next step.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 30, 2018

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah, but we should address that by giving workers better benefits in general and not stapling them to specific situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tired: three months bereavement leave
wired: people recover from grief better when they stay active and part of a community, so they should be forced to work