Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

when was the last time someone got restricted to bread and water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

The last time they put Marines on an LHD?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A buddy who just got rotated off the Shiloh didnt realize this was a big deal and witnessed it quite a few times.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Red Crown posted:

I got to meet him once, he seemed like a pretty genuine person. Also, the fact that you don't hear grumblings about him is...good, there have been previous DNIs that "everyone knows about."

He seems like a nice guy to me. I'm not a fan of him playing DJ once a week and talking for 15 minutes and then blasting a song over the intercom but at least he's trying to interact with the troops. I don't envy him the new position though.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

that was a legit question btw I wasn't trying to be lovely I just never did a float

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Laranzu posted:

Don't think I'd be able to write that report in a way that avoids further punishment.

Ayn Rand was a minor celebrity on the 1950s New York wife-swapping and orgy scene. The most famous of these parties occurred during the existence of what was informally referred to as "The Collective", and in this essay I will

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

simplefish posted:

Ayn Rand was a minor celebrity on the 1950s New York wife-swapping and orgy scene. The most famous of these parties occurred during the existence of what was informally referred to as "The Collective", and in this essay I will

lol that people hosed ayn rand

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Viva Miriya posted:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

that was a legit question btw I wasn't trying to be lovely I just never did a float

My answer was serious too. In three years on an amphib I saw people confined with bread and water maybe three or four times.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Viva Miriya posted:

She's a 16 beers and handle to the dome kind of woman, at a minimum.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
I am at 6.5 years right now and have 3 left at a pretty cake shore duty. Definitely not going back to a sea command. Kind of toying with the idea of going reserves as a way to shed my nuclear NEC's. I have a couple questions.

Is the reserves a scam the Navy will use to get the last few drops of humanity out of me?
Will the reserves try to move me out of Norfolk?
Will it allow me to keep medical insurance?
How often can I expect to go underway/deploy?
I am currently an MMN how do they choose my rate?

There is a lot of stuff I like about the Navy and I would not mind going to the reserves if it meant I get to keep my medical insurance and get to play on a boat every now and then. I wouldn't even mind doing a sea tour at the end of my 20 years to get some more money for retirement. I am having a heck of a time finding info on it and everyone I talk to at work about it either has no idea what they are talking about or is a chief trying to get me to stay in.

If I am being a stupid idiot and need to run to civilian land please let me know.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

I am at 6.5 years right now and have 3 left at a pretty cake shore duty. Definitely not going back to a sea command. Kind of toying with the idea of going reserves as a way to shed my nuclear NEC's. I have a couple questions.

Is the reserves a scam the Navy will use to get the last few drops of humanity out of me?

There is a lot of stuff I like about the Navy and I would not mind going to the reserves if it meant I get to keep my medical insurance and get to play on a boat every now and then. I wouldn't even mind doing a sea tour at the end of my 20 years to get some more money for retirement. I am having a heck of a time finding info on it and everyone I talk to at work about it either has no idea what they are talking about or is a chief trying to get me to stay in.

If I am being a stupid idiot and need to run to civilian land please let me know.

1) I’ve loved the reserves so far because it’s allowed me travel and “work”. I’ve never had a bad experience besides utter boredom with a active duty leadership. We are free labor to them.

2) you will drill with a local unit for the month to month stuff but you could be assigned to a unit that’s physically in another state that you may or may not need to got to once a quarter.

3) yes yes yes it’s the main reason to be in the insurance is really really good compared to the private sector

4) after your first two years you go on a list for Mobilization. I’ve been in for 4 years now and I barely moved on it. I’m maybe half way up it for as an IT2. However I’ve volunteered for stuff that has me away from home 1/3 of any given year. Underway orders are not common.

5) rerate to CTN, IT or IS. It’s cake.

The reserves is really hands off compared to active and it’s easy to get lost and frustrated. Still worth it for civilian job hoping for the insurance alone.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

1) I’ve loved the reserves so far because it’s allowed me travel and “work”. I’ve never had a bad experience besides utter boredom with a active duty leadership. We are free labor to them.

2) you will drill with a local unit for the month to month stuff but you could be assigned to a unit that’s physically in another state that you may or may not need to got to once a quarter.

3) yes yes yes it’s the main reason to be in the insurance is really really good compared to the private sector

4) after your first two years you go on a list for Mobilization. I’ve been in for 4 years now and I barely moved on it. I’m maybe half way up it for as an IT2. However I’ve volunteered for stuff that has me away from home 1/3 of any given year. Underway orders are not common.

5) rerate to CTN, IT or IS. It’s cake.

The reserves is really hands off compared to active and it’s easy to get lost and frustrated. Still worth it for civilian job hoping for the insurance alone.

So I get some say as to my new rate?
Will I get to keep first class?
Do they cover travel expenses for the out of state stuff?
Is the drill time pay enough to cover the insurance or will I need to cough up some out of pocket money?

Thank you for the info. It is great to hear from someone in reserves.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I have a job that's very rewarding but pays poo poo so the reserves has worked for me.
The insurance is great.
Deployment is based on how useful you are to the active military. Plenty of enlisted never get mobilized. I'm about to start my second mobilization and both times I volunteered before they could tag me so I could choose my own poison. But I'm also an unrestricted line officer with a clearance so there's that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Is the drill time pay enough to cover the insurance or will I need to cough up some out of pocket money?

Kinda. You need the scores and clearance but you a nuke so you should be good.

I’ve never heard of anyone losing a pay grade to get it but they do have quotas so the rate you try for may be filled please choose another.

Yeah as enlisted all travel is covered.

Insurance for my family of 4 is less than my monthly check for drill weekend.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

If you're coming to the reserves from active you will be a golden god (once you figure out the few/many eccentricities of reserve life v active) to your khaki. The fact that you'll know basic things and can be given tasking, say evals, that won't need to be completely rewritten will make you an asset. Also, having an actual warfare pin will set you apart from 75% of your cohort. Iam sure the process will change, but your CCC will get you a quota to go AD->RC and that can include rate change. Pick anything in the Information Warfare Community (IWC) rate and you won't be disappointed, but specifically pick IS. Had a really good analyst at my last unit who wanted to stay an IS1 who was a former missile tech years ago.

Insurance is very good for the price. My one complaint is that it isn't priced single, couple, family as I pay the same for my spouse and I as Crabman does for his family. If you affiliate with the reserve right after active you get 6 months Transition Assistance Management Program insurance which is TRICARE Standard. You then can enroll in TRICARE Reserve Select after your free 6 months. Additionally, as Crabman said, you get a two year deferment from being mobilized. I came to the reserves after 6 years on a 3 year contract that gave me a 7.5k for being SELRES (you can get 15k for 6 years). I reenlisted for two years after that first three and was tagged for a mobilization 4 months after that.

I can only speak from know IWC units, but you'll drill doing your job at a unit supporting low priority, real world operations. Unlike a NOSC unit that is almost certainly just worried about being mobilization ready or sending you for your two weeks at a shipyard or whatever, you can either do your annual training at your reserve station doing support or with your supported command. The admin side of the reserves is the absolute worse. Very very very few of the NOSC Sailors are the subject matter experts or even proficient in the jobs they are doing. You will learn a lot from making mistakes or having someone who is a reserve guru walk you along.

I could ramble on more later, but hope that helps

Edit

quote:

Yeah as enlisted all travel is covered. 

It depends. If you're driving to your training unit from out of state then no, but you can write off non reimbursed travel from your taxes. If you are croas-assigned, training unit local and mobilization unit out of state, they will cut orders for you to get paid travel.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 28, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Excellent detail post.

IW community is awesome.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
IS is a great rate, I worked for IS’s in joint commands, and I’ve been a supervisor to IS’s when I later got rank. Their quality of life was as good as mine in the USAF. And the schools they go to produce fairly competent intel weenies.

Intel is a great field, honestly can’t recommend it enough.

The only rate I’d recommend over IS is CTN but I don’t know what Reserve CTN’s do, I only dealt with active duty. But they go through some good schools and get to do very interesting things. You can make a metric fuckton of money as a CTN looking for contractor or GS work.

The market for bog standard intel weenie is a bit tighter, but CTN’s are always in demand and have way more specialized training.

As you are a successful nuke I have 0 doubts that you would be able to handle those schools.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm a Reserve Career Counsellor (with NEC and everything) and I will say this: You do not want to be an MM1 in the Reserves. I think they made 1 or 2 chiefs in the last six or so exam cycles, with ~100 applicants.

That said, AC->RC is a process where you get to pick what rate you want. Some take a school to make permanent, some you just need to pass the first class exam. For example, if you get CT, then you have to go to school and graduate within 24 months and you are now a CT1. If you pick YN, then next exam cycle, you take the YN1 exam and if you get over a 40, you're a YN1, congrats.

Anything beyond fifty (50) miles from your residence is reimbursed travel. The Reserves will not make you move your residence, but it may limit your billet choices if you don't want to travel crazy far.

Tricare is cheap; E6 drill pay for a weekend is on the order of $250/day with meals provided (about $500/weekend). Family tricare is ~250/month, with tricare dental ~60/month. So your drill pay will probably cover your tricare.

The Reserves is a wonderful opportunity to get most of the benefits of the Navy with few of the downsides. You can show up for your 10 drill weekends and a 2-week AT every year and be "SAT" and retire that way, but you can also do the stuff that LingcodKilla is doing and max out your retirement and fun quotas.

Last word as a pitch for my program: As an engineering rate, stay in Norfolk as any rate and and join the SurgeMain unit -- just say "I'm a Nuke MM" and they'll take you. You can then be one of those awesome yard workers for easy money. You don't even have to go to NNSY; I'm going to Yokosuka for a month, and a bunch of people in my unit go to Hawaii (or Portsmouth, RI, for some godforsaken reason).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Surgemain was the sole reason I briefly considered reserves. It’s one of the few specialized benefits you get as a fellow idiot nuke. You get to avoid reserve idiocy for the whole year while still receiving benefits then get full E6 pay for your short reserve commitment.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm a Reserve Career Counsellor (with NEC and everything) and I will say this: You do not want to be an MM1 in the Reserves. I think they made 1 or 2 chiefs in the last six or so exam cycles, with ~100 applicants.

That said, AC->RC is a process where you get to pick what rate you want. Some take a school to make permanent, some you just need to pass the first class exam. For example, if you get CT, then you have to go to school and graduate within 24 months and you are now a CT1. If you pick YN, then next exam cycle, you take the YN1 exam and if you get over a 40, you're a YN1, congrats.

Anything beyond fifty (50) miles from your residence is reimbursed travel. The Reserves will not make you move your residence, but it may limit your billet choices if you don't want to travel crazy far.

Tricare is cheap; E6 drill pay for a weekend is on the order of $250/day with meals provided (about $500/weekend). Family tricare is ~250/month, with tricare dental ~60/month. So your drill pay will probably cover your tricare.

The Reserves is a wonderful opportunity to get most of the benefits of the Navy with few of the downsides. You can show up for your 10 drill weekends and a 2-week AT every year and be "SAT" and retire that way, but you can also do the stuff that LingcodKilla is doing and max out your retirement and fun quotas.

Last word as a pitch for my program: As an engineering rate, stay in Norfolk as any rate and and join the SurgeMain unit -- just say "I'm a Nuke MM" and they'll take you. You can then be one of those awesome yard workers for easy money. You don't even have to go to NNSY; I'm going to Yokosuka for a month, and a bunch of people in my unit go to Hawaii (or Portsmouth, RI, for some godforsaken reason).

What is surgemain? I am currently at NNSY working at FMB.
Making chief while in the reserves would be cool if it is possible. Volunteering for underway helps retirement?

Is there some online document I can read to learn about this stuff? The Navy's page about the reserves is completely useless.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm just kind of shuddering at the idea of people not only voluntarily staying in Norfolk, but working at shipyards.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Making chief while in the reserves would be cool if it is possible. Volunteering for underway helps retirement?

Is there some online document I can read to learn about this stuff? The Navy's page about the reserves is completely useless.

Surgemain is doing in-rate stuff for three weeks a year at a shipyard and being left alone the rest of the time.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm just kind of shuddering at the idea of people not only voluntarily staying in Norfolk, but working at shipyards.

I'm currently active duty and work for QA. Not only did I dodge prototype but I don't deal with nuc stuff. It is awesome. My life is great. My wife got an amazing job working for Vdot that she loves. There is plenty to do out here so I'm happy.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SurgeMain is a NAVSEA reserve program to augment the four naval shipyards with reserve personnel that have skills applicable to shipyard jobs. The current line is that it's only for in-rate stuff, but that's flexible. In my case, I was a professional electrician and went to the shipyards as an AE2 doing EM work. I then cross-rated to FC, and went back to the yards doing EM/ET/GM/If it's got a wire within ten feet of it I can work on it work.
Reserve budgeting: As a reservist, the US Goverment has budgeted that you will get paid for "one weekend a month and two weeks a year." That is actually 48 drill periods of 4 hours each -- 2 drill periods in a day, two days in a month, 12 months in a year. These are called IDTs. If you have to travel, they're IDTTs. The "two weeks" is actually fourteen days at a supported command, with travel at each end, called Annual Training, or AT. Not everyone in the reserves does their two weeks, due to deployments or school or medical, or being a lazy rear end in a top hat. Those days they don't take are still funded, and go into a pot for "Extra AT" or EAT.

SurgeMain wants a minimum of 21 days in the yard in a row. Many people do their AT + 7 days from EAT. Other (smarter) people, will take 28 drill periods (14 days) and their 14 AT days and string them all together to do four weeks continuous in the yard, then get 7-13 days of EAT and tack on another 7-10 days IDTT and get an ADDITIONAL two weeks at the yard. This means that the smart sailor can get like six weeks of pay on a base with per diem and stuff, and only get stuck in the hell that is a Reserve Center Drill Weekend for the bare minimum length of time. That absolute bare minimum is five drill periods per year for an E-6: Two periods for each of the two PFA cycles, and one drill period for the E7 exam. If you are a badass and smart and personable, you can do those drill periods for points instead of getting paid for them, and all your paid time is at a place that pays you per diem. Like Hawaii, at like 70 bucks a day, or Japan at 90-130 bucks a day (depending on the strength of the USD).

The secret to the reserves is to not be at the drill center unless you absolutely have to, and to max out your retirement points every year with activated duty stuff and courses.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Everything said so far regarding the reserves is true, but I'll play debbie downer for a minute. The NOSC's will (in my experience) give you almost no support, which is kind of fine if you;re coming from active duty since you know how to do things, especially as a first or senior 2nd. You'll have to spend a lot of time reading up on reserve specific instructions to make sure you aren;t hosed at any point, and if you;re a first you'll be burdened with absolutely all of the admin work. My OIC isn't a piece of poo poo so I'm able to telework for things like evals so I at least get points. The orders you pick will either be awesome for loving terrible. I was attached to LCSRON 2 for three years and it was an absolute shitshow. I will say that when I did my AT they generally left me alone since my civilian job is building the drat things so they generally would let me work with the FCs/ETs/ITs to unfuck their side of the house. I just got picked up for orders for Rota and everyone says Rota's great, we'll see.

I've got negatives that aren't going to impact most people going into the reserves. Specifically, I can;t get reservist tricare because I'm a federal employee. Additionally I make a shitton more money as a federal employee than I ever would as a Sailor so if I ever get mobilized I'll probably lose my house. Fun!

I tried to go IRR my second year because I realized the reserves are not for people like myself, but it was denied (!) and now I have 13 good years so...I guess I'll ride them out and hope I don't get pinged for a mob?

For me the reserves are a part of my life that gives me ulcers and isn't worth the retirement (as a first with my projected points it'll be like 1400 a month, so assuming I live until 70 I'm looking at 170k which doesn't seem super worth it. Obviously if I live way longer (lol) or I convert to the O side (even bigger lol) it's worth more.

A lot of my reserve issues were kind of self induced and I will say it is INCREDIBLY easy to excel in the reserves if you're able to put the time in.

There is a reserve side program to get put on a ship and honestly being on a ship doing ship things would be better than sitting in Djibouti but my career counselor is worthless and hasn't given me any info about that program.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

Everything said so far regarding the reserves is true, but I'll play debbie downer for a minute. The NOSC's will (in my experience) give you almost no support, which is kind of fine if you;re coming from active duty since you know how to do things, especially as a first or senior 2nd. You'll have to spend a lot of time reading up on reserve specific instructions to make sure you aren;t hosed at any point, and if you;re a first you'll be burdened with absolutely all of the admin work. My OIC isn't a piece of poo poo so I'm able to telework for things like evals so I at least get points. The orders you pick will either be awesome for loving terrible. I was attached to LCSRON 2 for three years and it was an absolute shitshow. I will say that when I did my AT they generally left me alone since my civilian job is building the drat things so they generally would let me work with the FCs/ETs/ITs to unfuck their side of the house. I just got picked up for orders for Rota and everyone says Rota's great, we'll see.

I've got negatives that aren't going to impact most people going into the reserves. Specifically, I can;t get reservist tricare because I'm a federal employee. Additionally I make a shitton more money as a federal employee than I ever would as a Sailor so if I ever get mobilized I'll probably lose my house. Fun!

I tried to go IRR my second year because I realized the reserves are not for people like myself, but it was denied (!) and now I have 13 good years so...I guess I'll ride them out and hope I don't get pinged for a mob?

For me the reserves are a part of my life that gives me ulcers and isn't worth the retirement (as a first with my projected points it'll be like 1400 a month, so assuming I live until 70 I'm looking at 170k which doesn't seem super worth it. Obviously if I live way longer (lol) or I convert to the O side (even bigger lol) it's worth more.

A lot of my reserve issues were kind of self induced and I will say it is INCREDIBLY easy to excel in the reserves if you're able to put the time in.

There is a reserve side program to get put on a ship and honestly being on a ship doing ship things would be better than sitting in Djibouti but my career counselor is worthless and hasn't given me any info about that program.

This is also important. If you want to excel and not just coast to 20, you have to put in unpaid time during the month. Which means you have to have a flexible civilian job or no civilian job.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'm currently active duty and work for QA. Not only did I dodge prototype but I don't deal with nuc stuff. It is awesome. My life is great. My wife got an amazing job working for Vdot that she loves. There is plenty to do out here so I'm happy.

Good job ducking Prototype (not a nuke, but seems wise living vicariously through Ket). Tell your wife that I like VDOT standards but I hate GEOPAK and they should too.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

So, what are the consequences of just.. not doing an AT this year, beyond my unit leadership being butthurt? I plan on getting out of selres March of '20 and couldn't give two shits about sat years for retirement purposes.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Gray Matter posted:

So, what are the consequences of just.. not doing an AT this year, beyond my unit leadership being butthurt? I plan on getting out of selres March of '20 and couldn't give two shits about sat years for retirement purposes.

Nothing.

Same to you Pneumonic, if you just stop showing up the worst thing that happens is that you get adsep'd.
It's a volunteer force after all. If you don't want to get tagged for mob you should probably just stop showing up. Even if you get tagged you can ask for a special cases board for a deferral, which will be denied, and you'll be out anyway.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Geizkragen posted:

It's a volunteer force after all. If you don't want to get tagged for mob you should probably just stop showing up. Even if you get tagged you can ask for a special cases board for a deferral, which will be denied, and you'll be out anyway.

One of the better Master Chiefs I worked with and who was with me soon after I put on my anchor had three main things we needed to do and the one that always stuck with me was: If you want to go home, we'll send you home. I will bend over backward to work with a junior Sailor that is having issues and genuinely wants to stay in to either fulfill their contract or try to make it a career, but if you don't want to be there I don't want to waste my weekend dealing with your poo poo when I can be working either professionally developing juniors or unfucking NOSC admin fuckup with people that want to be here in the all-volunteer force.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Geizkragen posted:

Nothing.

Same to you Pneumonic, if you just stop showing up the worst thing that happens is that you get adsep'd.

I mean thats probably true but a general under honorable still scares me for security clearance reasons even though Im sure it shouldnt.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I missed a few ATs when I was in the guard. They had some minimum amount of days of service they wanted you to hit and, according to my admin, that was being present for every guard weekend if AT was missed. In addition they were willing to schedule make up days during random weeks if I needed to hit my total.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
If you request the IRR transfer because your life doesn't let you do the reserves anymore that's totally explainable.

It depends on your leadership I guess. I have yet to witness my chain say no, but pers has a couple times. Basically they've hosed up reserve manning over the last year and don't want to let anyone leave.

Nobody will fault you for just not participating once you've done the legwork to get out. Well some hooyah joker will but who cares.

Edit about mobilization deferral:

If you try to get out of a mob unsuccessfully you don't get adsep'd, you get placed in the IRR in S2 status.

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 30, 2018

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Someone mentioned my name so here I am.

I was an EMN1 that got out of the Navy after my extremely fun prototype tour. I was a full-time student and needed medical coverage so right back into the Navy I went.
I did Reserves for 3 years then got bored and went IRR the minute my insurance kicked in for my adult job after college.

-The Reserves, no offense meant to any USNR people here, feels like a scam that the Reserves plays on the government. I showed up to drill and did homework. I rarely ever did anything productive. I ended up becoming the personal computer repair guy for the unit once they figured out I knew how to do things. I got MPs every year despite not really doing anything.

-No.

-You get the same healthcare that a military spouse gets. You don't get sick call

-Depends on what you do. When I was in, it was competitive to go on deployment. Like, people were fighting for mobilization slots. The thing about the Reserves is that it pays better than what a lot of people's real life jobs are so they want to do it as much as possible. If someone works as a cashier normally but is a BM2, they're going to want to do as much BM2 stuff as possible to make more money.

-Welcome to MM.

Alright, here's my story. I joined the Reserves as a nuke EM1. They put me in a unit that is a cargo handling battalion. I show up and pretty much everyone there works in logistics of some sort handling freight. I'm asked if I know how to drive a forklift or operate a crane. My first AT I go to a school on how to load munitions for UNREP.
Apparently I wasn't fully gained into that unit and have to actually apply for billets. I apply to and am accepted for a SURGEMAIN unit. I continue to drill with my old unit just hanging out. SURGEMAIN doesn't have any slots open for me to do AT during that match with my school schedule.

I end up doing a two week AT to Norfolk shipyards as an EM1 to.... be on call as a firewatch. Keep in mind that I'm a 9 year EMN1 that's most of the way done with an electrical engineering degree. In my 2 weeks in Norfolk, I'm asked to watch 3 total jobs for a total of about 5 hours of sitting on a ship.

The following year, I have decided that SURGEMAIN was dumb and transferred back to my old unit because we'd become friends. Somehow I end up as the ALPO and I just do administrative stuff. I realized that I was not staying in the Reserves so I said I didn't want to do an AT. No one really cared. Once I finished my degree and started grad school while working, sitting at the Reserves center for a weekend was just too much effort so I transferred to IRR and stopped showing up.

Overall, the Reserves was a mildly entertaining way to keep health care and I would consider rejoining because cosplaying every month while chilling with a totally different group of people was alright. My unit had a firefighter, paralegal, bookstore owner, various college students, and a merchant marine sailor in it. It was an interesting collection of people.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Good job ducking Prototype (not a nuke, but seems wise living vicariously through Ket). Tell your wife that I like VDOT standards but I hate GEOPAK and they should too.

I'll slap her with this one. She works works with movable bridges doing inspection/damage analysis so I don't know how much much stuff she does with their computer suites. It just looks like a lot of math and arguing with people over who is the stupid one. She is going to look into her health insurance the state offers to see if it is any good.

Thanks for all the info. I see three paths going forward.
A) Get a great civilian job that pays well and yeet all my uniforms into a fire.
B) Get a crappy civilian job and beg to be an IS or something not engineering in the reserves. Take advantage of all the travel and balance retirement points with my real life.
C) Accept my fate and become a shipyard worker and yeet all my uniforms into a fire.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'll slap her with this one. She works works with movable bridges doing inspection/damage analysis so I don't know how much much stuff she does with their computer suites. It just looks like a lot of math and arguing with people over who is the stupid one. She is going to look into her health insurance the state offers to see if it is any good.

Thanks for all the info. I see three paths going forward.
A) Get a great civilian job that pays well and yeet all my uniforms into a fire.
B) Get a crappy civilian job and beg to be an IS or something not engineering in the reserves. Take advantage of all the travel and balance retirement points with my real life.
C) Accept my fate and become a shipyard worker and yeet all my uniforms into a fire.

C' is where you're a shipyard worker and a couple of weeks you have to wear uniforms. There are a stack of people in the SurgeMain reserve office who are shipyard workers for their day job. Double-dipping retirement, you are higher in the seniority stack when you start, and great lateral transfer to the Engineers side if you want to use your brain more.

If you're in/at the yards, go on in and chat with them.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

C' is where you're a shipyard worker and a couple of weeks you have to wear uniforms. There are a stack of people in the SurgeMain reserve office who are shipyard workers for their day job. Double-dipping retirement, you are higher in the seniority stack when you start, and great lateral transfer to the Engineers side if you want to use your brain more.

If you're in/at the yards, go on in and chat with them.

Next time in Portsmouth I'll go drop in.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Happy new year Navy goons. I bring another question from my son. He'd be asking these himself, but he's currently somewhere in the Arabian sea.

"Can you ask SA/reddit about IT's going to C-school with the NEC code: 738A . I been hearing it's a trap for ITs, as in its an undermanned NEC and they only go to places that require that NEC and can't really go anywhere else."

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Davethulhu posted:

Happy new year Navy goons. I bring another question from my son. He'd be asking these himself, but he's currently somewhere in the Arabian sea.

"Can you ask SA/reddit about IT's going to C-school with the NEC code: 738A . I been hearing it's a trap for ITs, as in its an undermanned NEC and they only go to places that require that NEC and can't really go anywhere else."

Anyway, thanks in advance.

My bitter angry coworker who got got out a year ago said GCCS sucks and avoid it. He had 3 other C schools and actively avoided it.

Says it’s a Big Deck trap but that may not be such a bad thing if he likes the life.