Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is solid explorer still recommended? I'm pretty sure I bought that a couple phone ago.

It's what I still use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Uthor posted:

It's what I still use.

Same

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Even works on Android TV for sideloading apps. It's good.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is solid explorer still recommended? I'm pretty sure I bought that a couple phones ago.

Yes

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

If I needed to go over to GWS that's cool, just let me know.

But does anyone know any good cookbook apps that let you create your own recipes, and ideally will let me upload recipes from digital books I've bought? I've been using My Cookbook, but it just refuses to import the digital cookbooks I have. It just sticks on 'importing' for hours. I'm only just getting into cooking, so it would help to have everything in one place instead of having to remember which recipe was in which book.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 30, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
It's New year's, so that means resolutions. Does anyone recommend a chess app? I'd like to improve my basic game.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

FunOne posted:

It's New year's, so that means resolutions. Does anyone recommend a chess app? I'd like to improve my basic game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.chess

Made by some guy who works at google, no shady permissions or IAP crap, diff from random to serious business

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

FunOne posted:

When I have a good connection: Lichess (FLOS)
When I am offline : The Magnus Trainer app (Freemium). I also used to use the official Stockfish app (FLOS), but setting difficulty levels is notoriously unreliably with the fish.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FunOne posted:

Thanks for this question, my wife just asked me about this yesterday and, not having played in years, I didn't have any suggestions. Are any of the above suggestions suitable for beginners? I looked at them and I feel like if you're great, you need something totally different from when you're first learning.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Soysaucebeast posted:

If I needed to go over to GWS that's cool, just let me know.

But does anyone know any good cookbook apps that let you create your own recipes, and ideally will let me upload recipes from digital books I've bought? I've been using My Cookbook, but it just refuses to import the digital cookbooks I have. It just sticks on 'importing' for hours. I'm only just getting into cooking, so it would help to have everything in one place instead of having to remember which recipe was in which book.

I would also love one of these that supports beaming to Google Home Hubs.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

LastInLine posted:

Thanks for this question, my wife just asked me about this yesterday and, not having played in years, I didn't have any suggestions. Are any of the above suggestions suitable for beginners? I looked at them and I feel like if you're great, you need something totally different from when you're first learning.
The Magnus Trainer is the best beginner app I know off.
If you both play, you can use the over the board mode in the Lichess app to turn your tablet into a chessboard. And even get computer analysis and mistake tips, which most freemium apps charge money for.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

tonberrytoby posted:

When I have a good connection: Lichess (FLOS)
When I am offline : The Magnus Trainer app (Freemium). I also used to use the official Stockfish app (FLOS), but setting difficulty levels is notoriously unreliably with the fish.

Thanks a ton. Lichess is 95% of what I was looking for. Guides, lessons, puzzles, stats, and free. The Magnus trainer also looks very good, but the freebie lessons are stupid basic from what I can see, so to get value you have to subscribe to their service. I'll probably end up doing that, I simply wanted to provide the details for the thread.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://privacyinternational.org/campaigns/investigating-apps-interactions-facebook-android

Privacy International has found there are apps that are transmitting data to Facebook the moment you open them even if you don't have a Facebook account. The big ones being Spotify, Yelp, and The Weather Channel. The complete list of apps they tested is in the link.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Quick troubleshoot with Google maps, apologies if this is something that people have dealt with already but couldn't Google any answers quickly. About 6 months ago I went on an extended to through China, Vietnam and South Korea. Since then Google maps displays prices with Korean wan and seems to default links to google.kr. I didn't make any language changes and have since been to a few other countries but can't seem to get it to either go back to British pounds or to sync with any other country I've been in.

Where the hell can I find a setting for prices? The language settings are all British English and that seems to be the only suggestion any website I've found has

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Bit of a crosspost from the generic android thread:

So I'm trying to do something that I thought would be fairly easy to do for free but so far I'm coming up short on a proper solution.

I've got a google Pixel with stock Android. I've got a desktop PC running Windows 10. I want to stream music (mp3s) from the desktop PC to the Pixel with the ability to use "next/previous/pause/play" buttons on the phone. Between file explorers that can't play more than 1 selected song at a time and media players (VLC) that balk as soon as I give them an m3u playlist file, I've had no luck to get this sort of functionality working. Thoughts?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Bit of a crosspost from the generic android thread:

So I'm trying to do something that I thought would be fairly easy to do for free but so far I'm coming up short on a proper solution.

I've got a google Pixel with stock Android. I've got a desktop PC running Windows 10. I want to stream music (mp3s) from the desktop PC to the Pixel with the ability to use "next/previous/pause/play" buttons on the phone. Between file explorers that can't play more than 1 selected song at a time and media players (VLC) that balk as soon as I give them an m3u playlist file, I've had no luck to get this sort of functionality working. Thoughts?

Plex might be a fit here. I haven't used the music side of it, but for other media it works well. Both a server and client though, not direct file share.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I use Plex in that way.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yeah unfortunately Plex doesn't have support for m3u files so I'd have to recreate my playlists from scratch within the Plex app. Almost, but not quite what I need.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does Subsonic do m3u files?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

hooah posted:

Does Subsonic do m3u files?
It's been a while since I used Subsonic, so I can't remember if there is direct support or if you import them, but yes, there is support for M3U files.

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/features.jsp

quote:

Playlists can be imported and exported. M3U, PLS and XSPF formats are supported. Saved playlists are available as Podcasts.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Yeah unfortunately Plex doesn't have support for m3u files so I'd have to recreate my playlists from scratch within the Plex app. Almost, but not quite what I need.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/aacg7o/i_made_an_automated_way_to_sync_m3u_playlists_to/

?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

It's been a while since I used Subsonic, so I can't remember if there is direct support or if you import them, but yes, there is support for M3U files.

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/features.jsp
Isn't free.
I wasn't 100% on board with using some random person's script when I found this posted elsewhere but I guess if it's on Reddit with 15 upvotes... and the user has been around a while, it shouldn't be malicious. I'll give this a shot.
Edit: Ha, just looking at the scripts myself I can see what it does so yeah, I guess I'll use this thing.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 3, 2019

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Isn't free.

I wasn't 100% on board with using some random person's script when I found this posted elsewhere but I guess if it's on Reddit with 15 upvotes... and the user has been around a while, it shouldn't be malicious. I'll give this a shot.
Edit: Ha, just looking at the scripts myself I can see what it does so yeah, I guess I'll use this thing.

Yeah, I actually checked out the scripts before I posted that and when I saw how simple they were I figured it'd be safe.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

OhFunny posted:

https://privacyinternational.org/campaigns/investigating-apps-interactions-facebook-android

Privacy International has found there are apps that are transmitting data to Facebook the moment you open them even if you don't have a Facebook account. The big ones being Spotify, Yelp, and The Weather Channel. The complete list of apps they tested is in the link.

looks like it's just connecting to fb ad servers which shouldn't be a surprise and isn't any more malicious than connecting to google's ad servers and should p much be expected?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Just moved from iOS to Android. One app I miss was this challenge alarm called Kiwake. In particular it had one section where you had to confirm that you had read a list of goals that you had written up previously, one by one. I liked starting off my mornings with reading a list of my goals and want to get back into it. Anyone have recommendations for similar apps that might a feature like this?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The Dark Wind posted:

Just moved from iOS to Android. One app I miss was this challenge alarm called Kiwake. In particular it had one section where you had to confirm that you had read a list of goals that you had written up previously, one by one. I liked starting off my mornings with reading a list of my goals and want to get back into it. Anyone have recommendations for similar apps that might a feature like this?

AMDroid looks like it'll do what you want.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amdroidalarmclock.amdroid

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Weather Timeline updated, and they changed the default source to something called MyRadar. I can't find the setting to switch back to Dark Sky, did they remove it or am I just dumb?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Weather Timeline updated, and they changed the default source to something called MyRadar. I can't find the setting to switch back to Dark Sky, did they remove it or am I just dumb?

Probably removed it because Dark Sky costs too much.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've finally started using the Photos app full time as I no longer care about dividing things into folders. Except it seems like the default Photos view is just pictures you've taken from your camera and not every image on your phone.

Is there a way to change this? It's especially annoying when I edit an image and I have to figure out what folder the new image got saved into.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, you can change what folders it monitors for uploads, but you can't automatically make it add every single folder.

Usually it pops up saying "hey, I noticed you created an image here, would you like me to back it up?" the first time you put an image in a folder.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 11, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not using it for uploads. Only for local image viewing.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I never used Bluetooth for anyone other than basic telephony or audio functions before, but my new car can browse some of my phone's audio apps, like Google Music or Rocket Player. I don't know what that feature is called, but does anyone know a podcast player that offers it and that also works with Android Auto? It would be nice to have easy access to the same podcasts whether I felt like wiring my phone up or not.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pocket Casts works with Auto. Not sure about it interfacing with your car.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kerning Chameleon posted:

MyRadar is the people who bought the app so I'm guessing that's how it is now.

If it's not using Dark Sky I guess I'm going to delete it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

and replace it with what?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

and replace it with what?

Well the official Dark Sky app is where I was going to start. It looks like to get the to-the-minute data and notifications it's $3/year but survey money makes that a non-issue.

I paid for Arcus a long time ago which also uses the Forecast.io API.

The problem with both is that neither look good, Dark Sky in an iOS kind of way and Arcus in a late-Holo kind of way. I'll probably stick with Dark Sky and pay for the subscription because it has a Wear complication. Really the only thing I need from a weather app is whether it's going to rain in the next hour as I drive a convertible and I'll admit to being lazy with the top.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I deleted Weather Timeline and just got Dark Sky. I have like $18 in survey money so...total non issue there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I never really felt Dark Sky was all that more accurate than Accuweather. So if I'm ditching weather timeline's excellent UI, I'm just going to use the accuweather app instead.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I honestly wouldn't mind all that much if it didn't get stuck in this infinite load now on forecast update and you have to exit out to the locations and go back in or load up radar and back out.

Gonna keep it around a while longer to see if it at all improves by the official public rerelease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I never really felt Dark Sky was all that more accurate than Accuweather. So if I'm ditching weather timeline's excellent UI, I'm just going to use the accuweather app instead.

The accuracy is very location dependent and given that it's hyperlocal, maybe you need someone feeding data to them standing next to you. In all seriousness though Forecast.io has been accurate enough for me to rely on it over the years but literally the only thing I care about is rain in the next hour. I don't care about the rest of the day, the temperatures, or any of that just tell me what's going to happen exactly where I am for the next hour which is sort of their specialty. I can see where that might not work for a lot of people. The design on this app is just awful, it's so ugly. I'm going to use it (and the notifications are pretty good) but ugh, it's so gross looking.