Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

QuarkJets posted:

A lot of the "arenas" in Doom 4 aren't huge open spaces though, they're actually arenas.

But I'm not talking about the literal arenas of doom 4 at the moment.

I'm responding to you making an argument out of the definition of an arena in gaming terms. It's any defined region where a mass of enemies spawn which requires circle strafing/enemy management/projectile dodging. It doesn't have to be an actual defined "arena".

Anyone who played SS would say it's an "arena" shooter. And getting back to Doom 4, yeah.. the arenas are more defined and there are linear paths (same with SS at points, specifically in the pyramids), but it's also still an arena shooter. The crux of my original post and argument was me stating that doom 4 was Brutal Serious Sam. And I still stand with that argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Three As bad two As good

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Some As are more equal than others

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From all I hear Deus Ex was pretty average at best graphically even when it came out and was in general pieced together from duct tape and string (moreso than video games already are) by the standards of the time.

Barudak posted:

All video games are art, I scrawl on the gamestop before adding, but some are more art than others.

The thing about art is that Caligula, Boss Baby and the Black Eyed Peas' discography are also art. Art doesn't mean worthy of respect.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From all I hear Deus Ex was pretty average at best graphically even when it came out and was in general pieced together from duct tape and string (moreso than video games already are) by the standards of the time.

The thing about art is that Caligula, Boss Baby and the Black Eyed Peas' discography are also art. Art doesn't mean worthy of respect.

i was there and this is true, it looked like poop back then too

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

sebmojo posted:

i was there and this is true, it looked like poop back then too

Deus ex looked meh, but the options for the player to approach each stage were pretty legit. It really was truly open ended.. and keep in mind, the closest thing to an RPG shooter was Techwar.

It's a product of it's time, but it's still one of my favorite gaming experiences as a kid.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It had bad graphics when it came out but it might have worked in its favor by making it more memorable because you can instantly identify that something is "deus ex" by its weird lighting and blocky environments when everything else at the time had better graphics.
They should remake it with UE4 or something, it's famous enough and they're remade most of the other famous games from that era.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's probably a nightmare to remake a game as vast and deep as Deus Ex on a modern budget.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

With modern graphical expectations, for that matter.

There's a lot of discussion and argument over in the FF7 remake thread about how that game's remake is in development hell and if it ever comes out is probably going to lose everything that made the original game interesting.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a lot of discussion and argument over in the FF7 remake thread about how that game's remake is in development hell and if it ever comes out is probably going to lose everything that made the original game interesting.

They're taking out the scenes where Cloud gets molested in a gay nightclub and apparently you can't go on a date with the black guy anymore. Not sure if that's what you meant

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Smoke Break posted:

I'm responding to you making an argument out of the definition of an arena in gaming terms. It's any defined region where a mass of enemies spawn which requires circle strafing/enemy management/projectile dodging. It doesn't have to be an actual defined "arena".

Anyone who played SS would say it's an "arena" shooter. And getting back to Doom 4, yeah.. the arenas are more defined and there are linear paths (same with SS at points, specifically in the pyramids), but it's also still an arena shooter. The crux of my original post and argument was me stating that doom 4 was Brutal Serious Sam. And I still stand with that argument.

Yeah aside from all of those major differences that you pointed out (among others) they're totally the same lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

idk if deus ex looked poopy for its time. it was what, 99? so its contemporaries were Brood War, Half-Life, and Max Payne? It seems more or less on par with those. Max Payne had better textures and particle effects but no facial animation and brood war was fmv and pixelart

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I remember replaying max payne in late 00s and being like, Woah this game still looks good and not like poo poo like everything released before 2004 or so.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

speaking of unpopular video game opinions, i liked the drug-dream levels of max payne

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The jumping on pipes above the abyss got pretty boring and lovely but they were cool for narrative.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

speaking of unpopular video game opinions, i liked the drug-dream levels of max payne

This was my bridge too far. I’ve seen a lot of opinions I’ve disagreed with but I respect anyone’s right to have their position. But not like this. Not like this.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

poisonpill posted:

This was my bridge too far. I’ve seen a lot of opinions I’ve disagreed with but I respect anyone’s right to have their position. But not like this. Not like this.

also far cry 2 is one of my favorite games ever

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

jesus christ

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

I remember replaying max payne in late 00s and being like, Woah this game still looks good and not like poo poo like everything released before 2004 or so.

Yeah aside from the dumb drug levels it still holds up really well. The graphics are obviously dated but is still looks way better and is much more playable than the vast majority of late ninties/early 2000’s third person shooters

Barudak
May 7, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Do you skip the maze with the shortcut jump or are you fully gone?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A remake of FF7 would fall short of expectations but it's not logistically difficult to remake. It's a huge game on an epic scale, but it's also extremely linear and fixed, so you can't really go wrong short of cutting important and iconic parts or changing it overmuch--the biggest danger is that there's a huge schism in the public's perception of it, that's divided between people who grew up on the original game and then people who are more familiar with the EU. The tone between the two is so massively different that it's honestly impossible to bridge the gap. You have to choose one, but you alienate half your audience.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Wrap it up and close the thread boys. This is it. The worst opinion we are ever going to see.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

christmas boots posted:

They're taking out the scenes where Cloud gets molested in a gay nightclub and apparently you can't go on a date with the black guy anymore. Not sure if that's what you meant

What's wrong with black guys?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

ratbert90 posted:

Wrap it up and close the thread boys. This is it. The worst opinion we are ever going to see.

I was going to post that I don't remember them being that bad when I played it as a teenager but then I remembered I cheated past all of them

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Are your legs OK?

The only accident I fear will be your head falling into a vat of acid with me wearing your loving moron face as a party mask

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i alt f4'd when the crying noises started and had nightmares for months because of that and it stopped me replaying it despite loving the gameplay.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

A Smoke Break posted:

Well you're wrong. Doom 4 is super different from Serious Sam and your vague definition of "region where enemies spawn and u shoot enemies" can be applied to SO many games dude

In Doom you just fight a handful of enemies at once. In serious sam you can fight loving armies at once, in maps five times as big as in Doom and they'll just keep coming at you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We can all agree that Super Smash Brothers is exactly like Tekken, they're both fighting games after all

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is a dull argument.

Fps syndicate is a stealth classic and one of the better visions of a brutal cyberpunk future in gaming

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

fps syndicate was a cool game, everyone was like "ugh lens flare" but i think that the overwhelming effects make it look more unique than most games from that time

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

dod:source was good

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

I miss the mod era of like dod, firearms, action quake 2, the professionals, that vampire hunter one in half life etc and the endless supply of stuff on planethalflife or planetquake and that's how i ended up on SA originally in the early 2000s. My friends and i still play AQ2 and Urban Terror sometimes but the days where those kind of releases were coming out quicker than you could play them and had such huge followings ruled and i struggle to explain it to younger relatives. I must have tried dozens of mods that never got out of alpha testing that always had someone to play with 24 hours a day or had full on single player campaigns (THEY HUNGER) and even the biggest projects for like Skyrim or something don't have that same feeling despite being more professionally made. As good as natural selection 2 is my best memories are all from the early hl1 mod days even.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

replayed metro 2033, and it is still very good

I thought I'd go for the canon ending this time but I couldn't resist shooting the guidance system at the last moment :glomp:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Whorelord posted:

The only accident I fear will be your head falling into a vat of acid with me wearing your loving moron face as a party mask

You must break your cycles of guilt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You must break your cycles of guilt

I'm not sure if EYE is ahead of its time or just timeless.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

EYE is proof there are parallel dimensions of earth that sometimes let things slip through.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure if EYE is ahead of its time or just timeless.

No matter what your opinion about EYE is, it's wrong.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
EYE was one of those games I tried but had to give up because I was pretty sure I'd contract autism from it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Playing through darksiders 2 and this game is loving terrible

Darksiders 1 was so god drat good, if a little wonky at times. This game though doesn’t know if it wants to be a hardcore dark souls like, Zelda like, diablo like, or a character action game. So you end up getting the worst of all four. Stupid deliberate combat, but fast action so you can’t really keep up with things, bad dungeon design, loot that is too infrequent to be fun, and you take forever to level up. Just got through the third dungeon and the final fight was so god drat tedious that I don’t know if I’m going to continue from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I can't even bring myself to give Darksiders a try because just like anything Warhammer ever it's such an ugly visual mess it's too off-putting to look past.

EDIT: Meant to say Warcraft but same difference

BioMe fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 30, 2018