Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

shove me like you do posted:

Remember that time during the cold war where Pepsi Cola had like the 6th largest military power in the world for like a week b/c russia paid them in submarines?

Can't wait till more companies start having their own military's.

Tillerson's credentials were based on Exxon having its own nation-sized military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

It sounds crazy, but there's actually a growing section of people who want to remove gloves from boxing. They say the funny poses you see in old timey photos is because nobody wanted to punch heads because you break your hands, so everybody was more interested in body blows.

I box, but wasn't sure I believed this until somebody asked me if I'd have any issues with punching a table as hard as I could with gloves on vs gloves off. So yeah, maybe pads just make it easier/less painful to hit someone harder. But I'd say headgear should be kept. The science says that (at least boxing headgear) can decrease the force of a punch up to 50%.

Bareknuckle boxing is bloodier, but people get fewer concussions.

i have also read that the gloves adding so much more volume to your hands changed the best defensive stance from the old-timey prizefighter poses where you keep your head as far away as possible and use your arms to parry incoming head strikes to the modern style where you can rely on the sheer volume of the gloves to collect blows so it makes sense to keep your head close to your hands when guarding. which is the explanation i read for why the old-timey boxing poses look so funny: the gloves themselves made them outdated

i wonder if boxing could stand a shift away from lots of concussions, because today's audiences love the big head blows and knockouts

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Shear Modulus posted:

i have also read that the gloves adding so much more volume to your hands changed the best defensive stance from the old-timey prizefighter poses where you keep your head as far away as possible and use your arms to parry incoming head strikes to the modern style where you can rely on the sheer volume of the gloves to collect blows so it makes sense to keep your head close to your hands when guarding. which is the explanation i read for why the old-timey boxing poses look so funny: the gloves themselves made them outdated

i wonder if boxing could stand a shift away from lots of concussions, because today's audiences love the big head blows and knockouts

I think that boxing would honestly see a much larger audience if we saw more blood, like the old days

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

old timey boxing rounds did go on for hours, so plenty of time to sell popcorn and booze

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i would be down. it looks more brutal but safety-wise as long as you dont get an infection in your bleeding wound its basically the exact opposite. humans are able to fully recover from cuts, not from concussions

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they also killed eachother on the field a lot

iirc helmets that consisted of more than a single piece of leather only happened after swarthmore suffered like 4 fatalities in a single season

i'm glad my artsy fartsy hs only had wrestling and tennis teams. and like track and stuff

Dang that sounds crazy-

quote:

In 1905, there was roughly one-fifth the number of college football players as there are today, yet, 18 were killed and 159 severely injured in that one year alone.

The death toll rose to 33 in 1909...

:stare: Jesus Christ....

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

Depending on what's going on in the fight I keep my gloves against my chin, or against the side of my head. You don't want any separation because your opponent will hit your glove and you'll just punch yourself.

You're right that crowds do love a good beating and there are lots of young dudes who seem more than happy to provide it. I'm not sure what we could do to change that.

I've personally never had a concussion (I've had multiple scans over the years), but I also just box in a training gym where nobody goes full force.

Jel Shaker posted:

old timey boxing rounds did go on for hours, so plenty of time to sell popcorn and booze

Yeah, there's no way you could do that if you hurt your hands punching someone in the head.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there were excellent reasons why baseball was the common man's sport in that day

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
i'm gay

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there were excellent reasons why baseball was the common man's sport in that day

for one thing, it's as dull as "the common man"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

spacetoaster posted:

It sounds crazy, but there's actually a growing section of people who want to remove gloves from boxing. They say the funny poses you see in old timey photos is because nobody wanted to punch heads because you break your hands, so everybody was more interested in body blows.

I box, but wasn't sure I believed this until somebody asked me if I'd have any issues with punching a table as hard as I could with gloves on vs gloves off. So yeah, maybe pads just make it easier/less painful to hit someone harder. But I'd say headgear should be kept. The science says that (at least boxing headgear) can decrease the force of a punch up to 50%.

Bareknuckle boxing is bloodier, but people get fewer concussions.

https://youtu.be/yFqpWGL_EQE

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

I've personally never had a concussion (I've had multiple scans over the years), but I also just box in a training gym where nobody goes full force.

Mild concussions are difficult to detect using things like MRI. That's why there's a push to use newer tests with more sensitivity and accuracy, like cortical Metrics.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

His voice makes me want to give him a good box.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lifting weights is cool for all peoples, straights and gays, boys and girls and nonbinaries. Yoga is also cool and good and people should stop being stuck up about how peeps get their sweat on.

Cardio sucks though.

Rarity has issued a correction as of 12:04 on Dec 30, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

spankmeister posted:

This is pretty strange for Italy. It's like banning pasta.

God knows why. Sometimes they let us choose what to play, and I'm pretty sure they specifically forbade football. Considering the sports that they did let us play, I guess they thought football doesn't exert the upper body enough

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Maybe they reckoned you'd play football on your own time anyway so might as well get you some other kind of exercise.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cardio is the only exercise I find fun but I have incredibly high arches so it's not exactly easy to go for long runs. And bike machines are so boring. Guess I just need to go mountain biking more often

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

My arches are also increasing high and running becomes too painful to be enjoyable. But rowing is pretty nice.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
im convinced half the people itt have never actually been in a gym and are just trying to use tumblr posts to fill in the blanks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Themage posted:

im convinced half the people itt have never actually been in a gym and are just trying to use tumblr posts to fill in the blanks

I always feel super self conscious at the weights because I'm a fat goon and just run on the treadmill or exercise bike for an hour.

Someday I'll not feel like I'm being laughed at for trying to use the weights but that day is not today

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
please work out

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The worst thing about lifting weights is that my buddy and I were super diligent about it for over two years, going three times a week and seeing great results. Then I got sick, he hurt his back (playing soccer) and then the holidays happened and now after three months away from the gym it's like we never did anything. Takes so long to build up and disappears so fast.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Muscle Wizard posted:

please work out

the revolution’s probably gonna take some manual work

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Unless posted:

the revolution’s probably gonna take some manual work

:hai:

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
You gotta be fit to be the best wasteland raider you can be.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Scrimp and save and make a home gym in your living room or garage like me then you don't have to feel fatness shamed or jocky or whatever when you're trying to better yourself.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The only guy at the gym I'm judging is the one doing situps in the loving squat rack.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

My personal fave are the people that use the arm curl machine for leg workouts until the gym workers rush in and stop them before they get hurt.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bareknuckle boxing is way safer. If a competitive fighter hit their opponent's head as hard as they could with no gloves the bones in their hand would shatter. The gloves themselves aren't exactly lightweight either.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Squat racks are good for solo bench pressing. Prove me wrong.

edit: My gym didn't have any machines for incline/decline seated press. I'd set up in the squat rack with an adjustable weight bench, set the safety catches and go to town.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone should run because running owns bones.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Counterpoint: Running sucks rear end.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I want to put people who don't re-rack their weights into re-education camps.

And I want to just execute people who re-rack their weights, but mix them in with differing weights.

WHY DO I HAVE TO REMOVE 35lb PLATES TO GET TO THE 5lb PLATE?!?!?!?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Everyone should run.

Famous last words.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
There exists a real danger as a fat person if you go to the free weights that one dozen perfect wrestlers will come over and immediately try to be your friend and help you find out how to become very strong.

Do whatever strength training thing you have the most fun with, supplement it with lifts. I do dumb circus poo poo and climb rocks so that I can spidermonkey up walls and sneak through lasers like Catherine zeta Jones in entrapment for doing crimes and the revolution.

Please Work Out

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That was the only good scene of that entire movie and thanks to it I get a semi every time I hear a little bell ring.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bushiz posted:

There exists a real danger as a fat person if you go to the free weights that one dozen perfect wrestlers will come over and immediately try to be your friend and help you find out how to become very strong.

That would be awesome, I'd guess most people's fear is of looking an idiot and not knowing what to do.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cakesmith handyman posted:

That would be awesome, I'd guess most people's fear is of looking an idiot and not knowing what to do.

When you first begin eating right and lifting regularly the gains come very fast and are amazing.

The dudes who've been doing it for a long time can only achieve small, incremental gains. So they get really happy when some skinny/fat non-lifting person shows an interest. They want to vicariously re-live their initial gains through you.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

lmao at all you rubes who are gonna live to see the presidency of barron trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
What the gently caress is all this bullshit