Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

DangerousDan posted:

singing songs saying Arthur wasn't dead and was going to return and drive the hated foreigners back into the sea

I guess some things never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

It's me, the guy nursing the wounds of the saxon invasions of the 600s AD, keeping the fires of hate alive. The normal man

It's you, the guy who thinks those people whose ancestors got brutally murdered and haven't been able to govern themselves since should just get over it. Why yes, you are insanely British.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's you, the guy who thinks those people whose ancestors got brutally murdered and haven't been able to govern themselves since should just get over it. Why yes, you are insanely British.

Actually no it isn't

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Haven't the Welsh been historically discriminated against and treated like dirt, much like the cornish and the irish?

The best one is when they casually decided to flood a couple of Welsh villages to make a water source for Liverpool.

Rule Britannia

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Coohoolin posted:

The best one is when they casually decided to flood a couple of Welsh villages to make a water source for Liverpool.

Rule Britannia

This was also done to English villages. The yoke lies heavy on anyone who isn't from London

And most londoners

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“perfidious Albion” is a thing for a reason

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Actually no it isn't

so are welsh people funny for wanting to not be part of the UK and hating British people or are they correct and it was just a lame joke you wish you hadn't made?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Weren't the English activity surpressing the Welsh language well into the late 19th centuey?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Welsh people are British so would be a bit hosed up if they hated themselves imho

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

XMNN posted:

Welsh people are British so would be a bit hosed up if they hated themselves imho

that sounds like an extremely British thing to do

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Relevant Tangent posted:

so are welsh people funny for wanting to not be part of the UK and hating British people or are they correct and it was just a lame joke you wish you hadn't made?

I think the Welsh should be allowed to decide their own giverbant but they aren't refugees in their own country unless you spend your time angrily eyeing a map of lloegyr

Colonial, yes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DangerousDan posted:

yup, but because the colonial process happened earlier than any other and they're small in number fell under the radar.

The English spent a long time literally killing all the bards so they'd stop singing songs saying Arthur wasn't dead and was going to return and drive the hated foreigners back into the sea

owain glyndwr did nothing wrong

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

who is that woman who apparently only exists to spout meaningless drivel about magic polls and numbers and how no one likes Jezza and why do I have to share the same reality as her

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
You know you gotta at least give the Welsh some kinda flag representation at least.
Like maybe when Scotland leaves you can turn the blue on the union jack to green and just call that Welsh.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

HerraS posted:

who is that woman who apparently only exists to spout meaningless drivel about magic polls and numbers and how no one likes Jezza and why do I have to share the same reality as her

https://twitter.com/MonaChalabi

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Grape posted:

You know you gotta at least give the Welsh some kinda flag representation at least.
Like maybe when Scotland leaves you can turn the blue on the union jack to green and just call that Welsh.

A tricolour dragon

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

She works for the Guardian which is pretty much the UK voice for milquetoast Blairite centrist wonk thinking.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

etalian posted:

She works for the Guardian which is pretty much the UK voice for milquetoast Blairite centrist wonk thinking.

The paper that desperately wants to back the Lib Dem’s but knows that they’re poison

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bert Roberge posted:

I still don't really get what FBPE is? Just a hashtag for pro EU people?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

This was also done to English villages. The yoke lies heavy on anyone who isn't from London

And most londoners

basically anyone who isn't royalty or useful to royalty at that moment

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Follow back pro eu

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Relevant Tangent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UWhhw0wviY

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Hoooollllldd oooonnn just one more daaaay

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

twoday posted:

Follow back pro eu

gently caress britain pro eu

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

Took me a minute to work out you meant flag representation on the union jack and I was like wait does this guy think Wales doesn't have a flag??

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

not a cult posted:

gently caress britain pro eu

hard agree

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

“perfidious Albion” is a thing for a reason

While the UK is poo poo it’s cute that you think this was for any other reason than France and England being historical rivals who would gently caress up each other’s plans just for the sake of it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Coohoolin posted:

Rule Britannia

Did they all get new houses; in most cases much nicer ones?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Regarde Aduck posted:

While the UK is poo poo it’s cute that you think this was for any other reason than France and England being historical rivals who would gently caress up each other’s plans just for the sake of it.

See also: Argentina complaining about British colonialism on the Falklands despite that being how their country was founded.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Did they all get new houses; in most cases much nicer ones?

what does your heart tell you

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably missing that it's an Archer reference, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Welsh have legit grievances.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Innovative marmalades

gently caress the UK for forcing the rest of the EU (with the exception of Austria, which got an exception) to conform to your wrong definition of what constitutes a "marmalade".

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
marmalade is gash

jam is good as are jellies

conserves are just booj jam

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Yinlock posted:

basically anyone who isn't royalty or useful to royalty at that moment

It happened in 1965

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
why is Britain filled to the brim with brain-rotted mommy bloggers who hate trans people? like jesus, if I go through the comments of some twitter post about respecting trans women or w/e, there's like 30 people with bios like "Proud mum, Labour party voter, and biological realist" posting poo poo like "SELF-ID WILL FURTHER DRIVE TRUE WOMEN INTO THE SHADOWS"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mumsnet is a hate group

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
one day Wales, Ireland and Scotland will join forces and drive the English back into the sea.

https://twitter.com/TiernanDouieb/status/1028993297006686208

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably missing that it's an Archer reference, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Welsh have legit grievances.

I dunno, the English have been a constant delight in Wales. Alright there was that time in the mid 1800s that they decided the Welsh language was evil and made Welsh people stupid because Welsh school children weren't passing exams. Though they were being taught in English and only understood Welsh but that's by the by. It did allow English people living in Wales to complain about the cost of bilingual signs because "no one in Wales speaks Welsh." which is a :discourse: level of dickishness. Also in the late 60s stole £150,000 from the Aberfan Disaster Memorial Fund. Other than that (and some other minor quibbles), utter delights.

But the Free Wales Army (Fe godwn ni eto) did plot to kill Prince Charles so all square really.

bessantj has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Dec 30, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gum posted:

It happened in 1965

my point still stands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SunAndSpring posted:

why is Britain filled to the brim with brain-rotted mommy bloggers who hate trans people? like jesus, if I go through the comments of some twitter post about respecting trans women or w/e, there's like 30 people with bios like "Proud mum, Labour party voter, and biological realist" posting poo poo like "SELF-ID WILL FURTHER DRIVE TRUE WOMEN INTO THE SHADOWS"

One of the biggest UK forums was for mums and teh American far right have paid for transphobes to be extremely successful here because nobody expected it or gave a poo poo before and this was their main target