Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

how good was the episode where quark and odo climb a mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Miss posted:

It was p good. I was hoping I'd see Quark eat Odo's booty

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Miss posted:

it has the rainbow power of a lisa frank binder

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Season 1 Picard sure makes a lot of sexy eyes towards Bev.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Miss posted:

Why is Quark climbing the mountain?

Because he's in love

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Blistex posted:

Why is Quark climbing the mountain?

Because he's in love

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

broke comms mountain

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

broke comms mountain

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Neelix is basically what happens when you try to do that kind of character and go horribly wrong.
i kind of feel like neelix is the polar opposite of quark. quark is - as you said - a thoroughly flawed character, but he embraces it completely and comes off as a loveable antihero because of it

neelix is set up as a kind, friendly altruist; yet in practice the character comes off as self righteous, invasive and irritating

i guess they are both examples of good/bad 'show dont tell,' like everyone* says that quark is a criminal lowlife, but what we see are honesty about his cultural values, open-ness, humour, and when it really comes down to it, an unwillingness to go full ferenghi (i just watched the arms dealer episode) when his friends turn from joking about him being a criminal to actually treating him like one

its like tng worf vs ds9 worf. in tng they keep saying he is a superstrong warrior but he is constantly getting his rear end kicked - the intent is to show how powerful the enemy is, but since we never see worf actually win or demonstrate his strength, it is meaningless.

in ds9 however he demonstrates himself as a capable warrior and sound tactician on numerous occasions, to the point that if ds9 worf gets thrown across the room i might actually worry about the dude that threw him**

neelix is a great example of bad 'show dont tell' because they tell us he is nice but all we see in practice is him being annoying. quark, we are told is a bad person but we mostly see him being good

i mean me too thanks ha ha ha

* odo

** jadzia

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 30, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
quark also gets episodes like House of Quark, he deffo cares that grilka has been exploited in a way she can't understand or combat on her own

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i kind of feel like neelix is the polar opposite of quark. quark is - as you said - a thoroughly flawed character, but he embraces it completely and comes off as a loveable antihero because of it

neelix is set up as a kind, friendly altruist; yet in practice the character comes off as self righteous, invasive and irritating

Neelix is set up as a suckup trying to hold onto the cushy job he landed and the rest of his character is rewritten weekly to suit the demands of the script rather than the other way around.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

quark also gets episodes like House of Quark, he deffo cares that grilka has been exploited in a way she can't understand or combat on her own

That ep is so good, Quark exposes that guy to the Klingon council and Gowron's like :gowron: THE STOCK MARKET IS NOT A WARRIOR'S ARENA

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

McSpanky posted:

That ep is so good, Quark exposes that guy to the Klingon council and Gowron's like :gowron: THE STOCK MARKET IS NOT A WARRIOR'S ARENA

the scene where quark goes over the accounts in front of the council is golden
as are most of the scenes in that episode

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Late to Odo-chat, but now I’m giggling at the thought of Odo routinely turning into a 180lb cup of coffee and expecting no one to notice

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Miss posted:

the scene where quark goes over the accounts in front of the council is golden
as are most of the scenes in that episode

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I think my favourite part of that episode was Gowron acknowledging the balls it took to pull a stunt like that. Sure it wasn't brave by Klingon standards, but for a loving FERENGI to risk death to save the honour of a Klingon house? That poo poo's unprecedented

Also this exchange

Quark: It's no accident your family's getting weaker and D'Ghor's family is getting stronger; he's been systematically attacking your family's assets for over five years now.
Grilka: You mean D'Ghor has been scheming and plotting like a F...?
Quark: Like a Ferengi!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The follow-up in which Grilka comes to the station and Quark and Worf have to Cyrano things through is awesome, too. It also shows how both characters have grown and have a lot of growing up to do in them still, it's seriously the anti-Voyager. The ending scene in sickbay with all parties suffering from severe sex injuries is golden.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

me doing my taxes

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Saving this one for later.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

barbecue at the folks posted:

The follow-up in which Grilka comes to the station and Quark and Worf have to Cyrano things through is awesome, too. It also shows how both characters have grown and have a lot of growing up to do in them still, it's seriously the anti-Voyager. The ending scene in sickbay with all parties suffering from severe sex injuries is golden.

I also like that they didn't even bother trying to explain the remote-control setup because pretty much everyone from audience to actor knew it was just in service of a fun scene.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
For a sci fi show star trek sure does have people experience sex related injuries a lot

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Tighclops posted:

For a sci fi show star trek sure does have people experience sex related injuries a lot

Klingon love-making involves people throwing heavy stuff while reading love poetry.

Still less dangerous than Snu-Snu, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ugh why is sisko so colorless

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pick posted:

:raise:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pick posted:

:yikes:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Pick posted:

Classic Pick Freudian slip

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Pick posted:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

it's fun to dunk on people but why is sisko so great at overacting

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's just the way it goes, here on deep space nine

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sisko has a great range. it starts from 11 and has no upper limit.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I need more Avery Brooks in my life. He ruled in American History X, DS9, and he should replace creepy Morgan Freeman as the narrator for everything.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/12/first-look-what-we-left-behind-high-def-star-trek-ds9-footage/

ds9 documentary and promise of some footage getting remastered

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bogus Adventure posted:

I need more Avery Brooks in my life. He ruled in American History X, DS9, and he should replace creepy Morgan Freeman as the narrator for everything.
*suddenly Avery Brooks bursts through your front door with a chef hat and a gigantic pan*

JAM-BAH-LAH-YAH!!!!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

*suddenly Avery Brooks bursts through your front door with a chef hat and a gigantic pan*

JAM-BAH-LAH-YAH!!!!

This would rule

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Star Trek is a stage play and Brooks is its greatest actor.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Zesty posted:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Zesty posted:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I want to know how many hours of footage they had to shoot to get that ~5 minutes of semi-coherence in "The Captains" from Brooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Pick posted:

mostly the new ones. you can make a lot of really informed predictions about the type of content you'll see based on which series it was for, which characters it features, and when it was posted. statistically it's fascinating.

*Wipes off sweat from a day of hard masturbation*

"Statistically it's fascinating."