Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is insane in its references.My favorite thing about it is the artistic nods to other Marvel artists. For example, the overall film style is really evocative of Robbi Rodriguez (artist of Spide-Gwen):

Kingpin's design feels right out of Daredevil: Love & War (illustrated by Bill Sienkiewicz):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

I really love drug slang the world over.

it took me a bit to learn molly

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm sorry in the gwen stacy spiderwoman universe is matt murdock the kingpin?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Krinkle posted:

I'm sorry in the gwen stacy spiderwoman universe is matt murdock the kingpin?

No, Matt Murdock is corrupt and works for Wilson Fisk.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
In Shaun of the Dead, it's made clear the zombies keep some traits from their human lives. One I just noticed while watching last night:

When Shaun and Ed are about to drive away in Pete's car, Shaun sees Nelson (the shopkeep) walking towards them holding out his hand. Shaun owed him money from his trip to the shop that morning (and probably a bunch of other trips to the shop as well).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Besesoth posted:

No, Matt Murdock is corrupt and works for Wilson Fisk.

Also Frank Castle's family weren't killed. He became a cop when he left the service, and didn't become the Punisher until his wife left him and took the kids.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Now I'm super interested in reading Spider Gwen, thanks for the sales pitch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Also Frank Castle's family weren't killed. He became a cop when he left the service, and didn't become the Punisher until his wife left him and took the kids.

how does this gel with the daredevil big pun?

that guy is a ptsd mess

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I did my yearly watch of the Muppet Christmas Carol and I just realized that Jacob Marley's brother Robert Marley is a Bob Marley joke.

Does subtly impressive camera work count for this thread? Because this movie is incredibly slick with its camera placement and movements to hide the puppeteers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Now I'm super interested in reading Spider Gwen, thanks for the sales pitch.

That's literally all it is.

Hey kids, remember this guy? Well here he's different. Over and over and over.

It's not a good comic.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm a big sucker for alternative time line stories though, even if they are only even a foot deep.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

I'm a big sucker for alternative time line stories though, even if they are only even a foot deep.

Watch the last season of 12 monkeys

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Arcsquad12 posted:

I did my yearly watch of the Muppet Christmas Carol and I just realized that Jacob Marley's brother Robert Marley is a Bob Marley joke.

Does subtly impressive camera work count for this thread? Because this movie is incredibly slick with its camera placement and movements to hide the puppeteers.

It's shocking how well made the whole thing is, isn't it? The weakest part is the flashback song of Scrooge's fiancee leaving him, and the edits that cut that song make no sense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's shocking how well made the whole thing is, isn't it? The weakest part is the flashback song of Scrooge's fiancee leaving him, and the edits that cut that song make no sense.

It's not a terrible song, though. I actually like it a fair bit, but due to the time constraints of film it doesn't land as hard as it should. The film is absolutely better with it included, though, because otherwise the reprise at the end comes out of nowhere.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is insane in its references.My favorite thing about it is the artistic nods to other Marvel artists. For example, the overall film style is really evocative of Robbi Rodriguez (artist of Spide-Gwen):

Kingpin's design feels right out of Daredevil: Love & War (illustrated by Bill Sienkiewicz):

God I love Sienkiewicz art and I'm hoping the New Mutants movie is good because it appears to have the Demon Bear story in it.

Also Spider-Gwen is good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not a terrible song, though. I actually like it a fair bit, but due to the time constraints of film it doesn't land as hard as it should. The film is absolutely better with it included, though, because otherwise the reprise at the end comes out of nowhere.

It's not terrible, but it does drag a bit. Everything else is just wall to wall great, fantastic production design, incredibly executed, and Caine is one of the all-time best Scrooges.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Mrs. Doctor loves that song and is angry the Amazon Prime version of the film has cut it. It never really stuck out to me, probably because it wasn't on the version I grew up with.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Push El Burrito posted:

God I love Sienkiewicz art

Same. His evolution was extraordinary to watch. He started out as a straight up, less polished Neal Adams clone and seemed to get weirder and weirder with every issue of anything he drew. I met him one time at a con way back when and he signed my Moon Knight #1 for me.

That DD graphic novel and the crazy poo poo he did on Stray Toasters really transcended the medium. He comes up a lot in the PYF Good/Bad Comic Art thread.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's not terrible, but it does drag a bit.

The whole thing is pure tedium. At no point is the song ever entertaining or moving and it sticks out like a sore thumb in a much more interesting movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It kind of needs to be there because if you've seen the film without the song it's rushed as hell, lasting a whole minute for the most tragic moment in Scrooge's life.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also Rizzo crying out of nowhere after the cut, and then the song is reprised later.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

The song is also depressing as gently caress for a kids movie, even if it was on the DVD we'd skip it because it's too sad for my mom and sister.

It does mean you miss out of the "when love was lost" and "when love is found" link but its not worth it when it literally makes children cry in the middle of the jolly fun muppet movie.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Dragonstoned posted:

The song is also depressing as gently caress for a kids movie, even if it was on the DVD we'd skip it because it's too sad for my mom and sister.

It does mean you miss out of the "when love was lost" and "when love is found" link but its not worth it when it literally makes children cry in the middle of the jolly fun muppet movie.

I thought the song was a bit dull and no great loss, but you've convinced me it's great and should never have been cut.
Emotional connections to kids' movies are why they stick with you. Neverending story would be nothing without that drat swamp scene.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

bitterandtwisted posted:

I thought the song was a bit dull and no great loss, but you've convinced me it's great and should never have been cut.
Emotional connections to kids' movies are why they stick with you. Neverending story would be nothing without that drat swamp scene.

It's got great animatronics and puppetry if you're into vintage stuff like that.

Also the sphinx statues had great big tits that were just out there, in a children's movie. This was very important to me before we had internet or cable tv.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I always liked falkor until they turned him into an abomination in part 3

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There was no part 3. Just two movies and a bad fever dream I once suffered. That's the only way I can explain someone turning The Neverending Story into live action Loony Toons without the humor.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Randalor posted:

There was no part 3. Just two movies and a bad fever dream I once suffered. That's the only way I can explain someone turning The Neverending Story into live action Loony Toons without the humor.

They were the first to claim that the speed of dark is faster than the speed of light! Really ahead of their time.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Randalor posted:

Dude, the bully in Neverending Story 3 is a little baby Jack Black. I haven't seen it since I was a little boy and I'm certain it's no good, but I'd probably watch the youtube compilation of his scenes for a laugh.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Tv moment:

Episode 5 of the most recent season of Bojack Horseman, Bojack calls Princess Carolyn complaining about having to learn too many new lines. He says "no show should have this much talking, TV is a visual medium". The next episode is Free Churro, the one that has Bojack talking for 20 uninterrupted minutes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't know if as much has been written about Butch's watch in Pulp Fiction as about the briefcase, but when I last watched it I realized: it performs remarkably badly as a good luck charm. Butch's granddad dies overseas, his dad is made a POW for five years, Koons for another two years, and Butch himself gets into the mother of all runs of bad luck for it.

Or you could read it the other way around: he spots Vincent's gun in time, he escapes a 50/50 chance to have a close encounter with the biggest perverts in LA, and he runs into Marsellus at just the right time to kick off the chain of events that lets him square things with him.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Android Apocalypse posted:

Oh it's crazy how full of references Spider-verse is.

The company that makes the Super Collider and employs all the scientists and summoned the spider? Alchemax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemax

The company is best known from Spider-Man 2099; this same Spiderman also appeared in the post-credits scene with a brand new personal dimension-hopping device...

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Homeybeef posted:

Tv moment:

Episode 5 of the most recent season of Bojack Horseman, Bojack calls Princess Carolyn complaining about having to learn too many new lines. He says "no show should have this much talking, TV is a visual medium". The next episode is Free Churro, the one that has Bojack talking for 20 uninterrupted minutes.

My favourite subtle callback was Philbert's house being based on David Boreanaz's

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Homeybeef posted:

Tv moment:

I really need to give this show a chance, huh?

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Totally and utterly and right now. Bojack is one of the best things on tv right now and just keeps on getting better.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

E: wrong thread

Biplane has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Dec 30, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Watching Fury Road with the subtitles on and the Buzzards who attack the caravan early on are apparently speaking Russian. I always figured it was some pidgin language, but I guess maybe during one of the wars that ended the world a Russian contingent got stuck in Australia and developed their own tribe.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't know if as much has been written about Butch's watch in Pulp Fiction as about the briefcase, but when I last watched it I realized: it performs remarkably badly as a good luck charm. Butch's granddad dies overseas, his dad is made a POW for five years, Koons for another two years, and Butch himself gets into the mother of all runs of bad luck for it.

Or you could read it the other way around: he spots Vincent's gun in time, he escapes a 50/50 chance to have a close encounter with the biggest perverts in LA, and he runs into Marsellus at just the right time to kick off the chain of events that lets him square things with him.

I read it as implicitly implied that the watch brings terrible luck and rains suffering down on anyone who is tasked with it. Sort of an in joke.

Pulp Fiction is hardly what one thinks of as a "subtle" film but one thing I like about it is the way it plays around with the timeline. I've seen it probably 30 times and I still couldn't put all of the stories in chronological order without an internet search.

Stuff like Vincent in the dorky outfit ("they're your clothes, motherfucker") is a detail that doesn't make sense until a rewatch and poo poo like the band aid on Wallace's neck is NEVER explained at all. I didn't put it together immediately that Vince was shooting up in Butch's bathroom either until I saw it again.

And why did he have to go to the john to do that? If he's willing to leave the gun on the counter, why not just cook up his shot in the kitchen?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Because every time anyone goes to the toilet in the film. Something bad happens.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Because Vincent Vega isn't a very good gangster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The speed, relatively quiet sound, and sudden nature of when Butch shoots Vince was always very unnerving to me.

Same feeling I get when Jules casually murders the guy on the couch, just like that. Love the film partially because it still makes me feel that way.