Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
You want "evil"? Here's some "evil" for you
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1079083702943211520

When he leaves office, I want to have an event where he has to sit silently in a chair for a week. He'd be broadcast live on every channel, while anyone who cares to attend gets to walk up and scream in his face about what a horrible, despicable excuse for a person he is.

That wouldn't satisfy me, but it'd be a good step toward it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mezzanine posted:

You want "evil"? Here's some "evil" for you
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1079083702943211520

When he leaves office, I want to have an event where he has to sit silently in a chair for a week. He'd be broadcast live on every channel, while anyone who cares to attend gets to walk up and scream in his face about what a horrible, despicable excuse for a person he is.

That wouldn't satisfy me, but it'd be a good step toward it.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1079082188665171971

the first part is worse.

i can't say anything because i don't want a ban and lowtax getting a visit. but yeah gently caress him forever and i hope hell is real.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Keep in mind at least half of that is coming from Steven Miller. Not that I'm excusing Trump for anything, but he gets the words from Miller.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There's a special kind of hate instilled in the soul that comes from insisting asylum seekers, legally seeking asylum, are illegals because the administration deliberately closed all normal points of entry to asylum seekers.

Anyone still working for CPB, ICE, or at the White House are inhuman monsters and should be thoroughly screened by psychiatrists for the good of society.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gyges posted:

There's a special kind of hate instilled in the soul that comes from insisting asylum seekers, legally seeking asylum, are illegals because the administration deliberately closed all normal points of entry to asylum seekers.

Anyone still working for CPB, ICE, or at the White House are inhuman monsters and should be thoroughly screened by psychiatrists for the good of society.

Wait ignore me I misread.

Asylum seekers should even be legal murdering their way through lines of border patrol jackasses due to how metal that would be.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 30, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gyges posted:

The Australian government excised the entire continent of Australia from the migration zone.

So, even if you arrive here, you haven't arrived here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/brithume/status/1079729696726835200?s=21

a hahahahahahaha that owns

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ahem.

Ayyyyy lmao

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Now where could they possibly have learned to do such a thing...

:thunk:

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
"Just calm down and enjoy the ride"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1080088373451206656

TX Republican gubernatorial nominee Clayton Williams, 1990 - “Rape is kinda like the weather. If it’s inevitable, relax and enjoy it.”

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Close your eyes and think of England, going through a no deal Brexit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1080512061640196097

so this Romney op-ed is extremely interesting. the op-ed itself says nothing - it says trump is bad but not that romney is going to do a drat thing about it, and basically says he's going to continue voting for anything trump would want - but because romney, a political weathervane, sees the political winds pointing against Trump. again, he's going to be all "deeply concerned" and voting the way mitch wants him to vote, but it's very interesting that he sees so much value in a public break with Trump, even one that is in name only and not in any sort of substance.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

evilweasel posted:

so this Romney op-ed is extremely interesting. the op-ed itself says nothing - it says trump is bad but not that romney is going to do a drat thing about it, and basically says he's going to continue voting for anything trump would want - but because romney, a political weathervane, sees the political winds pointing against Trump. again, he's going to be all "deeply concerned" and voting the way mitch wants him to vote, but it's very interesting that he sees so much value in a public break with Trump, even one that is in name only and not in any sort of substance.

Eh, you have to consider that Romney is out of Utah, and directly representing the Mormon population. The Mormons widely loathe Trump.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fool_of_sound posted:

Eh, you have to consider that Romney is out of Utah, and directly representing the Mormon population. The Mormons widely loathe Trump.

That hasn't stopped Lee from moving from tut-tuting trump to full-on bearhugging him. This is Romney seeing value nationally in being an anti-trump republican instead of even just a quietly "here to do my job" republican who has never read a tweet in his life and won't read the ones you show him.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Romney will be reelected regardless of how he votes because Utah. It's an enviable position to be in, but he will completely squander it by voting the party line while expressing deep concern.

Also, I was surprised to see that Trump's approval rating was only 45% among Utah Mormons the last time it was surveyed. That's still way too high, but it's lower than I expected (note: I live in a very red part of Utah).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

fool_of_sound posted:

Do they? A friend of mine is super-mormon from a super-mormon Utah family and his parents are bowing scraping Trump acolytes.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Do they? A friend of mine is super-mormon from a super-mormon Utah family and his parents are bowing scraping Trump acolytes.

Well, the dislike him at a gigantically higher rate than other republicans, at least.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheMadMilkman posted:

Romney will be reelected regardless of how he votes because Utah.

yeah, i view this as more that any national ambitions he has are better served by being seen as anti-trump instead of pro-trump

it might be that he thought he could have it both ways, by being anti-trump in name only but support everything trump does, but i think he was clever enough that he knew that a secret op-ed like this would be taken as a declaration of war (and it has been, pro-trump republicans aren't exactly mollified by the part of the article that says his opposition wouldn't extend to voting against anything republicans want in the Senate)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's messy because Romney is a million miles smarter than Trump, does have a competent state political machine, and is tied to the RNC apparatus (such as it is), but...well, as others pointed out, :romney:. He's not great at this optics and public opinion stuff.

edit: wait where'd that smilie go?! We need it back, damnit!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

evilweasel posted:

bruh you're calling a guy who made national headlines for a photo-op of him using a shopping cart a weathervane for anything. Romney doesn't have any relevance whatsoever to the thought or intentions of anyone in this country outside of the most fantastically wealthy and out of touch 1% of the 1% and his political calculations are completely irrelevant to the rest of the country because he's god's own son as the most prominent Mormon of the last century.

This guy, he doesn't even know how to buy food

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
In fairness, I agree that the winds wrt to Trump are absolutely changing and to some extent Romney's op-ed reflects that, I just wildly object to anyone using Romney as representative of literally anything other than predatory billionaire capitalism ghouls.

That said, I don't think the winds have changed so much as people who understand how congress works know that dems investigating Trump non-stop for the next two years is going to cause a complete shitstorm of bad press and that Trump will react badly to said bad press and they're just hoping to get ahead of that.

E: oops doubleposted, thought this was uspol

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 2, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

bruh you're calling a guy who made national headlines for a photo-op of him using a shopping cart a weathervane for anything. Romney doesn't have any relevance whatsoever to the thought or intentions of anyone in this country outside of the most fantastically wealthy and out of touch 1% of the 1% and his political calculations are completely irrelevant to the rest of the country because he's god's own son as the most prominent Mormon of the last century.

he's not a weathervane in the sense that he has a keen understanding of the common man, he's a weathervane in the sense that any position he has is up for negotiation if he thinks it's in his political interests. so what's interesting is that he sees this sort of op-ed as in his political interests. it is not that because he has swung this way the rest of the american public will swing that way as well.

i think we're just disagreeing over what we think "weathervane" implies, i'm using it as an insult and i think you're taking it in a sense that is less insulting.

mystes
May 31, 2006

evilweasel posted:

he's not a weathervane in the sense that he has a keen understanding of the common man, he's a weathervane in the sense that any position he has is up for negotiation if he thinks it's in his political interests. so what's interesting is that he sees this sort of op-ed as in his political interests. it is not that because he has swung this way the rest of the american public will swing that way as well.

i think we're just disagreeing over what we think "weathervane" implies, i'm using it as an insult and i think you're taking it in a sense that is less insulting.
Romney was elected in the first place because Mormons in Utah like Republicans but aren't that fond of Trump. This means that he isn't risking antagonizing the people who elected him with this op-ed. It's not like he's necessarily betting on Trump being ousted, either; even if Trump stays it will be beneficial for Romney to send a message that he's prioritizing Utah's interests over the party line.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 2, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

evilweasel posted:

It still implies that he represents literally anything relevant to anyone, which outside of Utah state republican politics, he doesn't. If he wrote this while still governor of Ma it would carry a lot more weight. Romney is infamously one of the most wildly out of touch politicians in the last fifty years and it's impossible to be a weathervane for anything when you're that deeply out of touch. Even as an ambitious self-interested actor (a group that otherwise would be relevant to the political world as a whole), Romney's actions aren't effective or particularly accurately at all, so he's not that interesting there either

I agree with you substantively though

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 2, 2019

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don't really understand how any Republican is going to succeed nationally without at least trying to court Trump's braindead base since they are probably a majority of Republican voters (or close to it). That's why I don't really understand how this op-ed accomplishes anything for Romney, unless he really doesn't want to be president and just wants to say "Trump bad" while serving as Utah Senator indefinitely.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There aren't actually that many Donnie only voters. His base is the Republican base. They'll pull that lever for Republicans same as the Never Trump guys do.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

tyvm

<3 :mitt:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Gyges posted:

There aren't actually that many Donnie only voters. His base is the Republican base. They'll pull that lever for Republicans same as the Never Trump guys do.

This, completely. Everyone's up in arms about an op-ed when it's crystal clear Mitt's gonna vote with Trump 100% of the time. Hint: you're not in opposition to someone you vote in lockstep with.

As an example:

https://twitter.com/ACrutchfield14/status/1080574199482200067

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1080580455957753858
this argument just gets dumber every year

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*unveiling statue* Hitler is a part of our history you see

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Trump got 2 million more votes in 2016 than Romney did in 2012. That's enough to matter.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Gonna play devil's advocate here, but I agree. Reinstall it in one of those stadium piss troughs.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Here's a nuclear take:
https://twitter.com/SputnikInt/status/1080195707821326338

...because it would literally be a nuclear response. :thejoke:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Trump got 2 million more votes in 2016 than Romney did in 2012. That's enough to matter.

Romney got 47.2 % of the vote.
Trump got 46.1% of the vote.

He did worse than Romeny.
He won because Hillary did far worse in comparison to Obama (and the election is decided bu the EC instead of total votes)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

OAquinas posted:

Here's a nuclear take:

Going by a quick google, I don't see any major legit news sources talking about this. It's either sites I've never heard of, or the Daily Mail and co. And it seems like the kind of thing that would make the news.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Going by a quick google, I don't see any major legit news sources talking about this. It's either sites I've never heard of, or the Daily Mail and co. And it seems like the kind of thing that would make the news.

Also, it's exactly the sort of thing a Russian propagandist trying to undermine both the US and China would want to make up. But it's also possible that one of the British tabloids made it up and Sputnik is just signal-boosting it.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 3, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Here's a nuclear take:

Sputnik News is a Russian propaganda entity targeting the US.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Discendo Vox posted:

Sputnik News is a Russian propaganda entity targeting the US.

Yeah, but there's propaganda, and then there's "oh yeah they'll totally blow up carriers to solve the problem, there's no way that will go wrong" insane drivel. Just showing that for every "russian mastermind" plot they have about 10,000 "stupid bot tricks" attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, but there's propaganda, and then there's "oh yeah they'll totally blow up carriers to solve the problem, there's no way that will go wrong" insane drivel. Just showing that for every "russian mastermind" plot they have about 10,000 "stupid bot tricks" attempts.

Ah yes, the shotgun blast approach to psychops.