Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Knowing everything that's coming I'm not sure it would have the same effect on me watching it again. Watching Hereditary was the most physically tense I'd ever been during a movie period and while I wouldn't say it was a good feeling, it was a pretty astounding experience. The only thing I can really compare it to is watching The Exorcist for the first time, which didn't really do anything for me during any rewatches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry to Bother you rules. Kinda pissed at myself for not seeing it in theaters .

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Fun thing I’ve found out about Bandersnatch, if you take the sound from the scene where the main character listens to a tape marked “Bandersnatch Demo” and run it into a spectrum it will give you a QR code that leads to a website where you can play the game Nosedive from the show

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

veni veni veni posted:

I love black mirror but there is something so inherently unappealing about a CYOA movie to me

As a dad with a couple kids...When one of the options said 'Kill Dad' I was like whoa know, this hits a little too close to home here. :v:

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I made the mistake of watching that godawful bird movie instead of rewatching Annihilation now that it's on Netflix.

Curiosity finally got the better of me after seeing loads of memes on Facebook, but I should have trusted my gut after seeing its low reviews.

It's a mishmash of the good parts of much better movies. At least The Happening was funny.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I made the mistake of watching that godawful bird movie instead of rewatching Annihilation now that it's on Netflix.

Curiosity finally got the better of me after seeing loads of memes on Facebook, but I should have trusted my gut after seeing its low reviews.

It's a mishmash of the good parts of much better movies. At least The Happening was funny.

Are you not in the US? I’ve seen a couple recent mentions of annihilation being streaming and justwatch only shows epix.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:agreed:

There’s nothing smug at all about The Twilight Zone. In the late 50s/early 60’s a lot of viewers needed to have the often obvious moral of the episode beat into their head with zero subtlety.

Viewers today also need that, just look at the world. I hope Jordan Peele's is even half as didactic.

precision posted:

Lmao that moment cracked me the gently caress up

Meloni is so good

Brian Taylor loving rules, I love everything he's ever done. Unimpeachable.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Zachack posted:

Are you not in the US? I’ve seen a couple recent mentions of annihilation being streaming and justwatch only shows epix.

I just came back from the UK and Annihilation is on their Netflix.

As someone who bought/loved the books after seeing the first teaser and thought the movie was complete trash you're better off just reading the (very) short books.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone who thinks Annihilation is complete trash is someone who's opinions I can safely never listen to again.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Annihilation was the best horror movie of the year

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone who thinks Annihilation is complete trash is someone who's opinions I can safely never listen to again.

I mean that's fine, you won't hurt my feelings. I was reading the first book thinking how completely unfilmable it was, then the movie came out and, yeah.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Annihilation wasn't complete trash, of course. There's a ton of good ideas in there. But I also disliked it a great deal.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Same. I can see that Annihilation was a good movie, but I really didn't like it.

I still watched this smug bastard's take on it, though, and it opened up my perspective a little bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URo66iLNEZw

Just like the movie itself, I hate this loving guy but he is clearly skilled at deconstructing story.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Annihilation isn't complete trash.

It's one extremely effective horror sequence and one interesting portrayal of a completely alien entity, which make up about 10-15 minutes of the film between them, sandwiched between terrible ham-fisted exposition, flat characters, and a travelogue through an environment that isn't nearly weird enough to live up to its premise. It's not a very good movie and it's an even worse adaptation of the novel.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Bird Box and Bandersnatch were both very good. I don't really feel much urge to run back through Bandersnatch just to see different things, but I would like to see it again with someone else and see how they progress through it

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Annihilation was completely forgettable

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Bandersnatch had some entertaining scenes and bits but the primary narrative (which is actually mostly linear) was much too insubstantial to hold up on its own without the CYOA gimmick propping it up. 2/5 stars.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Annihilation was my favorite movie this year and I can't relate to people's criticisms of it at all. Like, it's fine, we can agree to disagree on it, but when I hear people list what's "wrong" with it my only response is no to all of it. No movie is perfect, but I thought it was drat close.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I loved Annihilation, I ended up reading the books after seeing the movie. I was on a long flight a few months ago and this old lady in front of me started watching it. I knew right away she wasn’t going to make it through the whole movie, and sure enough she turned it off when things started getting freaky.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i saw annihilation three times in theaters and it's one of my favorite movies of the past five years. though i think if i first saw it streaming instead of in a theater, i probably wouldnt feel the same way.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The director is on record as stating he based the movie off of his memory of the book, not directly from the book itself.

That may explain things a bit.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
If I was an obnoxious movie person I'd call Annihilation baby's first "weird" movie, or alternatively I'd say Annihilation is to Stalker as Interstellar is to 2001.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

married but discreet posted:

If I was an obnoxious movie person I'd call Annihilation baby's first "weird" movie, or alternatively I'd say Annihilation is to Stalker as Interstellar is to 2001.

harsh, but accurate

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I read and loved the first and third books in the series, but the first book especially is nearly unfilmable and Annihilation is a drat impressive attempt at nailing the same tone and creeping horror. I thought it was a great flick, but I can see how it would leave some people cold and unimpressed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

married but discreet posted:

That's such a dismissive way to look at it. Just because it's not the weirdest "weird" movie out there doesn't mean it's not good. To me at least, one of the biggest strengths of Annihilation is it's ability to tackle some far out concepts while remaining pretty accessible.

Going for heady sci fi concepts in an approachable way is actually one of my favorite things about Alex Garland as a writer and director in general.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah to be fair I can totally see how people would absolutely adore the movie and I really can't fault them.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
It is frustrating to see people talk about how weird and thought-provoking Annihilation is, when its really more like a dumbed down crib-notes riff on Stalker.

I think its an admirable movie, but it ends up in a weird middle ground where it doesn't commit to being a genre movie, but also is too shallow and blunt to work as a philosophical arthouse movie. So its just in this middle zone of coasting on being kind of interesting and then it ends. Also the cinematography sucks, I couldn't believe it was the same DP who did Ex Machina.

I don't dislike it, but it feels like a missed opportunity.

bullet3 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 31, 2018

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Yeah loving morons talking about this much more well known popular movie that came out this year rather than the obscure movie from the Soviet Union that came out in the 70's. :smug:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I saw Annihilation in theaters knowing literally nothing about it and I think that's probably the best way

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bullet3 posted:

Also the cinematography sucks

What?! :psyduck:

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Annihilation has three good scenes in it: the bear one, the one with the tree people and the alien in the end. Everything else was a slog.
That's not good enough to call it a good movie for me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah loving morons talking about this much more well known popular movie that came out this year rather than the obscure movie from the Soviet Union that came out in the 70's. :smug:

If u are the sort of person who thinks Annihilation is a “well known popular movie” you aren't allowed 2 call Stalker some "obscure movie from the Soviet Union"

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Finally watched Hereditary on prime last night. I can't remember the last time certain images and scenes in a movie have haunted my brain like this. In a great way. I had my first nightmare in years and it had nothing to do with the movie, but that was such an unsettling incredible ride I've been stuck since.

And agreed on Annihilation being a movie I really enjoyed but I'm not going to make a big effort convincing someone they're wrong if they didn't.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

Same. I can see that Annihilation was a good movie, but I really didn't like it.

I still watched this smug bastard's take on it, though, and it opened up my perspective a little bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URo66iLNEZw

Just like the movie itself, I hate this loving guy but he is clearly skilled at deconstructing story.

He goes by "Folding Human" in these forums. Maybe that's why you hate him.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Makes sense. All goons are terrible, including myself.

Good video tho.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Annihilation was really loving good.

Well, that's it for me.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

bullet3 posted:

Also the cinematography sucks

Extremely digital, fake looking, washed out color palette. For a movie about venturing into a mysterious abandoned wilderness, there's very little atmosphere.

Again, not necessarily fair to compare it to Stalker, one of the all time greats, but given the similar subject matter, you can't help it

vs

It was my biggest gripe with the movie. Anyway, we should let it go, at least an original scifi story got made, props to Garland for that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I really like Annihilation, I own it and have watched it three times. That said, it's never going to look good in any comparison with Stalker, so that's just pointless and honestly I think it's insulting to Stalker.

But there's enough cosmic weirdness and interesting visuals in Annihilation to keep me coming back to it, I mean we just don't get movies like that too often. It's very good for what it is.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bandersnatch was neat but be warned that I accidentally hit a wrong number when you are prompted to type in a phone number to call your psychiatrist after killing your dad in the PAC password and you never get back there again unless you watch it from the beginning which I'm just not doing. so guess I'll look that up on some nerd chart probably made by Reddit by now.

E: looks like that was the only ending I didn't see, and was more or less the same as others. Neat project overall.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Gonna plug both versions of The Kindergarten Teacher, the 2014 film available for rent through Prime and I think others, and the 2018 Netflix remake. Both good movies, both in the respective ways they tell more or less the same story.