Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Last Pokemon game I genuinely paid much time to was probably Fire Red when it was new. Thought I'd see if I like the game or not any more with one of the Let's Go titles on Switch

Is Psychic still complete horseshit in these games? That's the only specific mechanical thing I really remember

I didn't really look at Pokemon Go for more than a couple minutes, so I don't remember its capture mechanics. I did see the OP calling those out though; are they an improvement on the "get HP low, throw ball, pray to varying strengths of Dread Arengee" at least?

The mechanic focuses on catching with Pokeballs and using berries to influence the catch. There's no random wild Pokemon battles outside of a few designated stationary mons that show up such as Snorlax and the Legendary Bird trio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah I did some reading, saw "no random encounters" and I guess that was good enough because it's downloading now :v:

Haven't touched the series in a long time, it'll be interesting to see how I respond to it nowadays.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think the seeing Pokemon in the world is a feature that should absolutely stay now in all games, but I would like to see the next game have battles against wild pokemon. See if the halfway point offers the best of both worlds.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think a lot of people have said they wanted that, it seems like a good compromise

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
hot take: bring back wild pokemon battles, but adopt the mechanic from let's go where actually catching the pokemon is a separate minigame that you can only get after defeating the pokemon

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Please don't bring back Go's catching. I don't want to spend an hour looking for a Dratini only to have it run away after throwing 3 balls at it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Bleck posted:

hot take: bring back wild pokemon battles, but adopt the mechanic from let's go where actually catching the pokemon is a separate minigame that you can only get after defeating the pokemon

This seems like the worst of both worlds to me, honestly. I'd much rather the reverse, where it starts as Go style catching with a quick flee option, and if you're fed up with flinging balls randomly you can hit the "waste this clown" button and start a battle.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Please don't bring back Go's catching. I don't want to spend an hour looking for a Dratini only to have it run away after throwing 3 balls at it.

you want to spend an hour walking back and forth in grass and/or fishing only for you to accidentally knock it out instead?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The exp share doesnt feel as overblown as it was in x/y or sun and moon to me, provided you dont go around chaining stuff all the time until the postgame.

It's still a bit much, but I'd rather it be a bit much than not enough these days.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

you want to spend an hour walking back and forth in grass and/or fishing only for you to accidentally knock it out instead?

Like there are things I can do to avoid that. Not even just through False Swipe but like using weak moves, or paralysing them . I can't do anything if the Dratini decides to leave after my first couple of balls don't work. It just happens.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

THE loving MOON posted:

The exp share doesnt feel as overblown as it was in x/y or sun and moon to me, provided you dont go around chaining stuff all the time until the postgame.

It's still a bit much, but I'd rather it be a bit much than not enough these days.

Its way more overblown because in X/Y and SuMo inactive pokemon only get 50% of the EXP. So you can actually like cycle pokemon and keep them at something resembling level parity.

Everything getting 100% of all EXP means that your Pikachu/Eevee/Early poke of your choice is always going to be stupidly overlevelled unless you're constantly shifting your entire party out loving constantly. Or you only use pokemon you can get in the first two hours of the game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I like xp share because I'm not 12 anymore and don't have infinite free time to hand craft a level 100 perfect locally sourced organic free range artisanal version of every individual Pokémon I might want to try out for a team.

Make it a toggle sure for people who want that grind back but definitely don't take it out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Steering these balls is utterly baffling me. Stupid butterfree :saddowns:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So wait, does Let’s Go get rid of the dynamic EXP gain B/W and Su/Mo had? Or does it just not help much?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
They need to use the Switch's motion controls to make you whittle Pokeballs out of Apricorns, and the better you are, the better the ball! And those are the only Pokeballs available because it's the past and you write your own descriptions for Pokemon and you have to release your Pokemon on a farm and take care of them and grow crops and... poo poo, I started writing this as a joke but now that I think about it, Stardew Valley but raising Pokemon too could be cool.

Has anyone made an app yet for seeing how much experience/steps are in your Pokeball Plus? I got mad when I returned my Eevee at like 29950 experience.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Fire Storm posted:

They need to use the Switch's motion controls to make you whittle Pokeballs out of Apricorns, and the better you are, the better the ball! And those are the only Pokeballs available because it's the past and you write your own descriptions for Pokemon and you have to release your Pokemon on a farm and take care of them and grow crops and... poo poo, I started writing this as a joke but now that I think about it, Stardew Valley but raising Pokemon too could be cool.

Has anyone made an app yet for seeing how much experience/steps are in your Pokeball Plus? I got mad when I returned my Eevee at like 29950 experience.

thats just rune factory, friend

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Are there any item maniacs in Let's Go? Ever since B/W I've been leery of selling Nuggets and Pearls in case there's an NPC that'll buy them for double

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

They've never done that mechanic again, probably because limiting certain items to only be sold to those people and being unable to do it in batches ended up being more trouble than it was worth.

deftest
May 7, 2011
"Sell this to a merchant. Don't worry, it has no other use" is a lazy game mechanic that has pervaded most rpgs.

Make nuggets and rare candies the same item and make us choose. Decisions are good!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

deftest posted:

"Sell this to a merchant. Don't worry, it has no other use" is a lazy game mechanic that has pervaded most rpgs.

Make nuggets and rare candies the same item and make us choose. Decisions are good!

I don't think it's a lazy game mechanic, it's barely a mechanic at all. The reward for this quest is going to be a bunch of money -- let's give out a Big Pearl instead of $1000 because it's a water-themed area. It's just an aesthetic thing to help world-building.

I also don't think I'd like that choice. I'd just be poor all the time because I'd never want to sell useful candies for money.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Does anyone here have any experience with Pokemon romhacking, specifically FireRed or LeafGreen?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I don't think it's a lazy game mechanic, it's barely a mechanic at all. The reward for this quest is going to be a bunch of money -- let's give out a Big Pearl instead of $1000 because it's a water-themed area. It's just an aesthetic thing to help world-building.

I also don't think I'd like that choice. I'd just be poor all the time because I'd never want to sell useful candies for money.

I would take it a step further and always get the candies and never use them, because what if a cooler/better pokemon is like right there

giant enemy crab syndrome is a bitch

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
none of you cowards will tell me what monpoke is

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

It is forbidden knowledge. Only a very select, elite few can ever know what monpoke is.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

indigi posted:

it's a trademark op

hth

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

indigi posted:

You need to chain fifty shiny dratinis after beating the elite 4 100 times to find out

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You need to chain fifty shiny dratinis after beating the elite 4 100 times to find out

gently caress.... ill do it

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

CubeTheory posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with Pokemon romhacking, specifically FireRed or LeafGreen?

None, but unless you wish to play on original hardware, you are probably better off using RPG Maker scripts anyways.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Not gonna press if this is out of bounds, but is there some way to still get Platinum online without an Action Replay, specifically to try and collect old WonderCards like the Rotom form changes?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The Golden Gael posted:

Not gonna press if this is out of bounds, but is there some way to still get Platinum online without an Action Replay, specifically to try and collect old WonderCards like the Rotom form changes?

Nope. The servers are long gone.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Indeed I remember that, but I've heard rumours that some people were able to create their own?

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

The Golden Gael posted:

Indeed I remember that, but I've heard rumours that some people were able to create their own?

Haven't tried this, but may be useful

Blitz7x posted:

quote:

Through a new way to connect DS games after the WFC shutdown, many have reported getting loads of events obtained via gens 4 and 5 mystery gifts.

The only exploit used is getting the DS to connect to Wi-Fi, and even that is just fudging with DNS settings. There is no exploit used to get the events themselves. You get them simply by connecting a gen 4 or 5 game to Wi-Fi.

From the thread:

Find the Wifi Settings for the game you want, for Pokemon its located in the menu after the Title Screen

Set up your Wifi Connection like normal

Go down to the DNS settings and choose No for Auto-obtain DNS

Replace the Primary DNS with 164.132.44.106.

Choose Save Settings

Connect to Mystery Gift

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^ Worked on my diamond. Should work for all Gen 4/Gen 5 games. I believe GTS and battling works as well. You probably will need to set up unsecured tethering from your phone, or plug in an old router.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1DXGyaLkwbWGM

Mewtwo movie remake countdown. an hour and 10 minutes to go.

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1079724075415592960

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Mewtwo strikes back

again

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pokemon_movie/status/1079761848910655488

At least they actually showed the 3D model of their character

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQv1BFqBY90

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 31, 2018

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Didn't a female Mewtwo show up in a movie fairly recently? Or was it an OVA special?

Also Let's Go Eevee is good, my Clefable is large (though perhaps not in charge). I'm assuming Return isn't in this game so what should I use as my STAB nuke on Eevee? Hyper Beam? I don't like the recoil on Double Edge.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pyrotoad posted:

Didn't a female Mewtwo show up in a movie fairly recently? Or was it an OVA special?

Also Let's Go Eevee is good, my Clefable is large (though perhaps not in charge). I'm assuming Return isn't in this game so what should I use as my STAB nuke on Eevee? Hyper Beam? I don't like the recoil on Double Edge.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Veevee_Volley_(move)

Return is in this game, and it bypasses accuracy.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Kurieg posted:

That's the special move that only comes out sometimes when you shake the joy-con when you see Eevee (or Pikachu) playing with it in the battle screen and they're out currently. It's not really a reliable option. But honestly Eevee is just fine without having a STAB move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Kurieg posted:

:getin:

(Hope I can use it in handheld mode :ohdear:)

Edit: Oh, okay. Kinda sucks but Eevee with Baddy Bad and the fire one is a pretty effective physical wall anyway.