Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Synastren posted:

What hybrid did you get? Beautyrest is a generally solid brand, so you should feel comfortable in your purchase.

I got a queen-size Beautyrest Recharge Dawson, which the Mattress Firm website says is on sale for $1300 (down from $1600), but I got the price down to $920 by getting the sales guy to order mine from an overstock warehouse. I also got a box spring for free (or so they tell me).

Once all was said and done the salesman told me I saved almost $900 on everything. I have a receipt somewhere showing my order total and how much I spent and saved on each thing.

I can’t wait to find out how bad I got swindled from all of y’all in this thread.

EDIT: That Mattress Firm link I posted has one single review for what I got and uh... I get the feeling that whoever wrote it doesn’t know that breaking in new mattresses is a thing.

Someone named “Mel21” posted:

WAY TOO FIRM!

My husband and I just purchased this bed and it is much firmer than it was in the store and is hard as a rock! I suffer from a bad back and this bed is just going to make it worse. I was so uncomfortable sleeping on it that I had to sleep on the couch. I really wish we picked a different bed.

✘ No, I do not recommend this product.
Interestingly, the salespeople at the Mattress Firm I went to told me that their display mattress had only been there about a week and wasn’t broken in yet. I don’t know if they were telling the truth on that, but my mattress just arrived earlier today and it feels pretty similar to what I laid on in the store, so :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I don't know what area of the country you're in, but temperature can play an instrumental role in how firm or soft a mattress will feel. If the mattress is significantly foamy, it will be especially sensitive to changes in temperature. Warm temperatures make foam softer, cold temperatures make foam firmer. We're in winter now, and in my home city, we're looking at some quite cold temperatures, and our distribution center is not heated aggressively (seriously, it's a huge building that is minimally staffed), and because of that, our foamier beds can feel like bricks on arrival.

Now if that customer's salesperson did not explain that, that's a strike against the sales associate.

Additionally, BeautyRest smushes the hell out of their beds with an industrial roller to minimize break in time, so it makes sense that yours would feel similar to theirs. You also shouldn't notice too significant a change in how the bed feels over the next few months.

Finally, you didn't get swindled at all pricewise. In fact, I would imagine someone is going to be in some poo poo if anyone in authority discovers the sale.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, so who exactly has been hittin' rear end and hidin' cash with their mattress? I demand answers!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Has anybody tried Airweave before?

PS: Super firm mattresses rule

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

ntan1 posted:

Has anybody tried Airweave before?

PS: Super firm mattresses rule

I've never heard of them before, but it's gotta be firm as gently caress. Like, a plastic mattress has to be almost as firm as a latex mattress, right?

Besides, it comes from Japan, and the vast majority of the rest of the world (read: not North America) seems to go for firmer mattresses in general.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I’ve had a saatva for about two months now. When I was younger, I would have detailed and story-like dreams. Those went away at some point in my adult life, but have made a strong comeback in recent days. I’m not sure if this is a selling point or not. This has been my experience thus far.

I really like my crazy dreams and I’m glad they’re back.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Dazerbeams posted:

I’ve had a saatva for about two months now. When I was younger, I would have detailed and story-like dreams. Those went away at some point in my adult life, but have made a strong comeback in recent days. I’m not sure if this is a selling point or not. This has been my experience thus far.

I really like my crazy dreams and I’m glad they’re back.

Tangentially related to my current career (such as it is), I was a cognitive psychology phd student (I was the OP for the thread linked under my av). Generally speaking, it takes approximately 15 minutes to encode a memory into long term memory. That includes dreams, and oftentimes for us to remember dreams from the middle of the night, we must be awake for 15 minutes or so just following that dream. There's a lot of really fuzzy stuff surrounding lucid dreaming, and I would personally infer that training to remember dreams involves finding ways to regain consciousness in a limited fashion in stage 1 sleep.

In other words, you are likely regaining consciousnesses for brief periods during the middle of the night. Whether this affects your energy or focus is something you can answer yourself! In my professional opinion, if you are suffering no ill effects, and you like your bed, then I think your purchase was a good one.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Synastren posted:

Tangentially related to my current career (such as it is), I was a cognitive psychology phd student (I was the OP for the thread linked under my av). Generally speaking, it takes approximately 15 minutes to encode a memory into long term memory. That includes dreams, and oftentimes for us to remember dreams from the middle of the night, we must be awake for 15 minutes or so just following that dream. There's a lot of really fuzzy stuff surrounding lucid dreaming, and I would personally infer that training to remember dreams involves finding ways to regain consciousness in a limited fashion in stage 1 sleep.

In other words, you are likely regaining consciousnesses for brief periods during the middle of the night. Whether this affects your energy or focus is something you can answer yourself! In my professional opinion, if you are suffering no ill effects, and you like your bed, then I think your purchase was a good one.

That's really interesting because I sleep like a rock. I never remember any sort of waking up in the middle of the night, even though my cats are constantly screaming and fighting at odd hours. I don't think my energy or focus has suffered or changed in any way though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Vietnamwees posted:

Ok, so who exactly has been hittin' rear end and hidin' cash with their mattress? I demand answers!

It was me Austin.

Except I’m extremely poor so I have no cash to hide :(

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It was me Austin.

Except I’m extremely poor so I have no cash to hide :(

I hide most of my cash in my couch, honestly.
that's where the coins fall out of my pockets

:negative:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Has anyone tried the difference between the original Purple and the "new" Purple?

I'm moving to a new place and want to invest in a new mattress. I like really really soft mattresses.

Is it worth getting a huge fancy new mattress or should I just get a really good, soft topper?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Has anyone tried the difference between the original Purple and the "new" Purple?

I'm moving to a new place and want to invest in a new mattress. I like really really soft mattresses.

Is it worth getting a huge fancy new mattress or should I just get a really good, soft topper?

I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the "old" and "new" purple, except I know that the classic purple mattress is their polymer on a foam core, and the purple mattresses with numbers (e.g., purple.2) are their polymer on coils. And while I haven't had the opportunity to try the purple 2 yet, my colleagues described it to me by saying it, and this is a direct quote, "feels like a goddamn trampoline." It is apparently bouncy. Not surprising, given that it's basically rubber on a steel coil.

As to your subsequent question, that really depends on a lot of factors. There is a distinction to be made between the comfort of a mattress and the support of the mattress. The support is the lower chunk (e.g., foam cores, firm coils, soft coils, air chambers, etc.), while the feel is the upper chunk (e.g., pillowtops, memory foam, etc.). There are variations in both categories, and they can mix and match. There exist firm pillowtops, for example, which combine an extremely firm coil with a very soft pillow top. There are also hybrids which have firm memory foam with plush coils.

When people buy toppers, they are adding another layer to the comfort area of the mattress--essentially piling more on top of what the mattress came with. If you are European, for example, the tradition may very well be to have a minimal mattress with a focus on the style of topper to add the desired comfort. If you are in the US, our mattresses are not so minimal, and so you can get mixed results by adding a topper. But the easiest way to think of toppers is like adding a condiment to a prepared sandwich: sure, you can but ketchup on that Reuben to change the taste, but if you don't like that type of sandwich, why even bother getting it in the first place?

In other words: Go try some beds, and see what feels right. You should be spending time laying on a few in the same position you spend the most time in bed, and you should be looking for pressure and pain in your hips, shoulders, and lower back. If you have external pain, likely you need a softer comfort. If your back is flexing up or down, your support is wrong for your body type--if it's really off, your support and comfort is way off. If your neck gets achy, the pillow is the likely culprit. And if you find nothing that strikes you the right way, you can always fall back on your topper strategy.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Wow that was super comprehensive and helpful. I'm gonna try out some mattresses tomorrow!

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I've seen Ghostbed mentioned in here a few times but does anyone have any actual experience with it? I've had my current mattress for probably 11 years and it's saggy and uncomfortable, but I can't really afford anything too nice right now. I got a $300 Amazon gift card for Christmas and that's pretty significant for me right now so I'm trying to get one I can actually buy on Amazon. I was thinking about T&N since they seem to be pretty well regarded by most people itt (except for the guy who actually knows what he's talking about ha ha), but my biggest concern is that I'm a sweaty fucker and I dunno if the foam will make me a sweatier fuckier. The Ghostbed has a lot of latex foam which is apparently nice and breathable, and not knowing anything about anything it seems from a cursory glance that even though it's a bit more expensive it might be a better value than a T&N due to better quality materials for the price. Any thoughts?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Synastren posted:

Good latex is crazy expensive. Furthermore, pure latex mattresses are generally very firm and are susceptible to moisture damage. Moisture (e.g., sweat) will break latex down faster than just about any other bedding material... and the majority of people really suck at taking care of their beds. Other constructions are more robust.

lovely latex, or latex foam, is usually much cheaper than good talalay latex, in both price and performance. Dunlop latex is generally even firmer than talalay latex, and therefore only really appeals to folks that want ultra firm sleeping surfaces.

Honestly, a classic Purple mattress is likely closest to latex in feel and performance without what latex would cost. Take this with a heaping spoonful of salt, as my exposure to Purple is extremely limited, and I'm going exclusively off of their rubberized polymer--and good latex is a type of rubber.

I'm pretty committed to getting a latex mattress in a few weeks from Sleep on Latex dot com after doing a bunch of research on it. Can you comment on what you consider good vs bad latex? Do you feel like it is mostly dunlop vs talalay or can you tell the difference between good dunlop and lovely dunlop? Is there any way for the consumer to tell the difference by inspecting the foam itself? Latex seems like it has the potential to be the most transparent from a component assembly perspective but I have no idea how wide a range in quality of components there are and the only comparisons are ILD and density.

I went to a local place that assembles and sells their own latex mattresses. The sales guy opened up the cover and it did little to impress me. The support layer appeared to be a 4-6" core and the comfort layers were a 2" and 1" topper. This was a flippable mattress but they were asking $2500 for it which seems insane given how many places sell covers, cores, and toppers. I'm pretty confident I could build something similar for easily half that or less if I don't make it double sided but I guess a common refrain is the MSRP markup is usually that high in mattress stores anyway?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I only just remembered that while I'm definitely looking for a new mattress, I'm also looking for a new pillow as well. To recap from my last post, I'm a side/stomach sleeper who sleeps like a furness. My pillows have often been horrible, hot, wet, smelly messes after I wake up, and at this point, if I'm going to invest in a whole new mattress, i should also invest in a good pillow. Anyone have any good recommendations there? I tend to wrap one or both arms around the pillow where my head rests, so while i don't want a giant foam brick, i also don't want something that's so thin i could wear it like a bib.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

garfield hentai posted:

I've seen Ghostbed mentioned in here a few times but does anyone have any actual experience with it? I've had my current mattress for probably 11 years and it's saggy and uncomfortable, but I can't really afford anything too nice right now. I got a $300 Amazon gift card for Christmas and that's pretty significant for me right now so I'm trying to get one I can actually buy on Amazon. I was thinking about T&N since they seem to be pretty well regarded by most people itt (except for the guy who actually knows what he's talking about ha ha), but my biggest concern is that I'm a sweaty fucker and I dunno if the foam will make me a sweatier fuckier. The Ghostbed has a lot of latex foam which is apparently nice and breathable, and not knowing anything about anything it seems from a cursory glance that even though it's a bit more expensive it might be a better value than a T&N due to better quality materials for the price. Any thoughts?

Latex is only breathable because it is perforated. On its own, latex is no more breathable than any other kind of foam. I'd suggest ghostbed of T&N, but I don't have a particularly high opinion of T&N, so...

Any foam mattress that does not have specific design considerations regarding heat build-up will sleep warmer than a comparable traditional mattress. There absolutely needs to be some sort of heat conductance, some phase change material (PCM), and/or convolution/perforation/extremely large cell structure. Foam does not breathe like fabric and coils. :v:

You may want to see what local retailers have on offer for that $500-is price point, if that's what you've budgeted for a bed you can't try until you buy.

I'll get to a longer post regarding material quality later today Teabag Dome Scandal, I'm just typing this before heading off. Edited it in below!

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I only just remembered that while I'm definitely looking for a new mattress, I'm also looking for a new pillow as well. To recap from my last post, I'm a side/stomach sleeper who sleeps like a furness. My pillows have often been horrible, hot, wet, smelly messes after I wake up, and at this point, if I'm going to invest in a whole new mattress, i should also invest in a good pillow. Anyone have any good recommendations there? I tend to wrap one or both arms around the pillow where my head rests, so while i don't want a giant foam brick, i also don't want something that's so thin i could wear it like a bib.

Hit up Bed, Bath & Beyond and look for some Therapedic pillows. They tend to cap around ~$70, and they feel real good, especially their cooling ones. None of the pillows we carry in my store meet the criteria you've described. :smith:

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Can you comment on what you consider good vs bad latex? Do you feel like it is mostly dunlop vs talalay or can you tell the difference between good dunlop and lovely dunlop? Is there any way for the consumer to tell the difference by inspecting the foam itself? Latex seems like it has the potential to be the most transparent from a component assembly perspective but I have no idea how wide a range in quality of components there are and the only comparisons are ILD and density.

Talalay is always superior to dunlop due to the fact that they are the same basic material, but are made differently. Simply put, talalay latex is vacuum sealed in its mold, then frozen; this maintains a more even distribution of cells and density. Dunlop latex, in contrast, tends to show a settling of particles towards the bottom of the mold, resulting in product that is usually denser and heavier at the bottom than at the top. Dunlop is generally firmer than talalay for that reason.

As for density and ILD, those are the primary measures of quality in both foams and latex. Density is a measure of the weight of the foam--one cubic foot (or one cubic meter, depending on where you live) of the material is weighed, and thus we get the density. Less air == more weight, and is therefore considered to be of higher quality, as that means a more tightly packed (read: dense) cell structure. ILD is an acronym for Indentation Deflection Load. ILD is a good thumbnail for how firm of a feel the product will have: the larger the number, the firmer the material.

High quality memory foam has an additional measure, Thermal Gradient (TG), which denotes temperature sensitivity, with a lower number being more sensitive to changes in temperature--and therefore considered more luxurious.

If you know all of those things, you should be able to infer quality: Talalay is better than dunlop; denser is better than looser; firmness needs vary based on individual. Note that better always means more expensive, however. Talalay latex requires additional steps and care over dunlop processed latex, and denser material requires both more careful engineering in its construction as well as more raw material for the same volume.

quote:

I went to a local place that assembles and sells their own latex mattresses. The sales guy opened up the cover and it did little to impress me. The support layer appeared to be a 4-6" core and the comfort layers were a 2" and 1" topper. This was a flippable mattress but they were asking $2500 for it which seems insane given how many places sell covers, cores, and toppers. I'm pretty confident I could build something similar for easily half that or less if I don't make it double sided but I guess a common refrain is the MSRP markup is usually that high in mattress stores anyway?

$2.5k is actually reasonable for a mattress with 2 inches of talalay latex, much less 4 inches. Retailer markup on bedding is roughly similar to markup in all areas of retail; there's nothing special about this industry, with a few exceptions.

There is a reason that the greater mattress industry went to single-sided mattresses about a decade ago: if you only have comfort material on one side of the mattress, there is less expense in creating better products. A lot of local manufacturers continue to make double sided products because there is a sizable contingent of the bed-buying demographic that does not see the value in changing that fundamental aspect of mattresses. Were you to try to assemble all of the components and create it yourself, it would be cheaper, just like if you were to build your own computer rather than purchase it pre-assembled. After all, if no one puts it together, the expense of paying technicians to create the final product is just not there. However, you would have a more difficult time securing material of the same or similar quality, as bedding materials are not exactly easy to come by individually outside of the industry. And I'd be shocked if you created something that is as flame resistant as what mattresses legally need to be for public sale.

Foam mattresses look exceptionally unimpressive on the inside, because everything is just... well... foam. They are sheets of expensive polyurethane and/or rubber that are expensive to produce, last a long time, but look like the same stuff in your insole. We sell a $4000 foam mattress which is absolutely wonderful; it is just a beige disappointment to look at on the inside. Hell, $5000 tempurpedics have convoluted foam as their base layers, and it looks identical to the cheap "egg crate" foam toppers you can get at a Walmart or Target. :v:

I hope that helps you! If you have any other questions, :justpost: or send me a PM.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 31, 2018

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Synastren posted:

lotta words

Thanks for the writeup!! I knew talalay is considered better but a lot of places seem heavily invested in "its not necessarily better, just different!" which obviously feels like marketing speak for a cheaper but similar component. I do think Dunlop is probably better as the core for support and a few inches of the good poo poo on top strikes me as probably the best way to do it especially as a back sleeper. Would you tend to agree? I feel like using cheaper/firmer poo poo for the core and softer pieces at the top is fairly standard as far as construction goes.

On top of that, and this could just be a mental image that has no chance of happening, I feel like if the core stays in good condition, but my needs change from a comfort perspective, replacing the top few layers will likely be cheaper than replacing the entire thing if that becomes necessary.

I would absolutely not want to use or misuse products that aren't appropriate as far as fire safety goes but it seems like a lot of the latex companies have their cases available for sale and some will custom make them for you if you need a specific height. I'm certainly not trying to cut safety corners or anything like that to save a buck.

It sounds like as far as the foam is concerned, the density in particular will be a good gauge on quality and comparable quality. My understanding is the ILD can be a bit deceptive because density can affect the "feel" of two comparable foams of similar ILD? Is that correct? It's a gauge but not as reliable as density?

I also took another look at that $2500 mattress and it appears they have a 6" core, a 1" layer, and a .8" (wtf) inch of quilted latex whatever that is. And then 1" of wool on both sides in the casement. Probably just a super soft layer with that quilted latex?

Thanks again for taking the time to write all of that up!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Thanks for the writeup!! I knew talalay is considered better but a lot of places seem heavily invested in "its not necessarily better, just different!" which obviously feels like marketing speak for a cheaper but similar component. I do think Dunlop is probably better as the core for support and a few inches of the good poo poo on top strikes me as probably the best way to do it especially as a back sleeper. Would you tend to agree? I feel like using cheaper/firmer poo poo for the core and softer pieces at the top is fairly standard as far as construction goes.

On top of that, and this could just be a mental image that has no chance of happening, I feel like if the core stays in good condition, but my needs change from a comfort perspective, replacing the top few layers will likely be cheaper than replacing the entire thing if that becomes necessary.

I would absolutely not want to use or misuse products that aren't appropriate as far as fire safety goes but it seems like a lot of the latex companies have their cases available for sale and some will custom make them for you if you need a specific height. I'm certainly not trying to cut safety corners or anything like that to save a buck.

It sounds like as far as the foam is concerned, the density in particular will be a good gauge on quality and comparable quality. My understanding is the ILD can be a bit deceptive because density can affect the "feel" of two comparable foams of similar ILD? Is that correct? It's a gauge but not as reliable as density?

I also took another look at that $2500 mattress and it appears they have a 6" core, a 1" layer, and a .8" (wtf) inch of quilted latex whatever that is. And then 1" of wool on both sides in the casement. Probably just a super soft layer with that quilted latex?

Thanks again for taking the time to write all of that up!

The cheaper core is what they're already doing, because base foam is cheaper to produce and has generally uninteresting properties. Using latex for a support layer has not happened in quite some time, if only because it's bouncy like a spring AND kinda solid like foam. Having a gradient of firm-to-soft from bottom-to-top is basically how mattresses work in general, though, so your thinking is spot on. I've tried beds which have firmer foams on top of softer coils, and they feel strange. And for what it's worth, the few inches of good poo poo is what seperates a $2000 mattress from a $1000 mattress--the good poo poo is expensive to produce. Hell, there is a pair of mattresses on our floor that have identical coil units, but one is a hybrid and one is traditional. The cost of changing from a traditional top to a memory foam top (and the memory foam is middle-of-the-road in quality) is straight up $500. And I think that's only about two inches of mid tier memory foam.

The wool is an interesting component because it isn't really used in bedding for the fluffy feel. Wool is instead used for its innate breathability (why it is used in high end clothing and textiles!) and for its flame resistance. There are two major ways manufacturers make flame resistant mattresses: thick wool layers, and flame resistant socks.

Sheets of latex is also common. There are nearly $5000 beds with 2 inches of latex, and they come in two 1 inch sheets. The thickness of layers of a material matters almost as much as the density and ILD of a material on its own. We had a pair of beds (now discontinued) that had 4 inches of the same foam, but the [clearly] softer of the two had two 2 inch sheets, while the firmer of the two had a 3 inch sheet on top of a 1 inch sheet. I'm not an engineer, so that was an interesting discovery for me to make that I don't have the background to explain. :v: Likely the .8 inch quilted latex started life as a 1 inch sheet and the quilting punched it down a little bit.

As for density and ILD, those measure two very different things. Density is literally a measure of how much air is in the material, with denser having less air. But denser also necessarily means that people will be more buoyant in it, and therefore sink less (think fresh vs. salt water in this case). As a good heuristic, denser foams will also necessarily have a higher ILD due to that, though I suppose it is possible to engineer a strong foam with a very airy structure. That's why rarely will you find mattresses with one or two pieces of product with the same density and ILD.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Just sealed the deal on the Purple! Saved some money getting it from Mattress Firm. Bought the queen size mattress, platform, and free sheets.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I recently got a medium firmness queen Tulo and I'm pretty happy with it, but it's just a little bit too firm and sleeps a little bit too warm. The soft was too soft though, so I was thinking maybe a topper might be a good solution? I'm not really sure honestly whether to go for a topper or try a different mattress. Was hoping for some suggestions on that and for possibly good toppers.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Looking at new mattresses(my old one is a 10+ year old spring mattress) and noticing that Zinus brand stuff is really cheap with suspiciously good reviews all around, even on mattress review sites. Anyone have experiences with these? A full for about $250 seems like a steal compared to other companies.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I've had a "New" Purple King.3 for about 6 months now, and I absolutely love it. I went with the thicker version of the new one because I'm a little heavy and sleep on my side sometimes, and it was suggested that it would be better for that. Honestly, it's hard to gauge what the difference between the "old" and "new" is from reviews, but I figured I'd go a little thicker to be on the safe side. Plus, I liked that it added extra height, as I like my bed to be a good bit off the floor.

The mattress checks all the boxes for me: it's supportive, it's cool, it's bouncy, and it doesn't transfer much motion. The feel is hard to describe, and certainly different from any other mattress I've slept on. It's firm, but it doesn't feel like you're sleeping on a solid slab like most "firm" mattresses. I used to think I preferred pillowtop mattresses, but really, I like this much more. Also, it's very bouncy and is the best bed I've had for sex.

I'm a super light sleeper, and this is certainly the best I've seen for motion transfer. No, it's not perfect, and I'm such a light sleeper that I can still be woken up when someone else in the bed moves, but it's a lot less disturbing than other beds. I bought some really nice cotton sheets, and the official Purple sheets. I prefer the Purple ones; they just have a very unique feel that I like. I ended up buying a second set of Purple sheets.

It was expensive AF though. I think if you're a less picky sleeper (you don't mind being warm, don't get woken up as easily, or don't care if the bed is bouncy), you should probably go with a cheaper option, or maybe one of the lower end Purples. I'm really bothered by that stuff, so I was willing to burn the money.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

sugar free jazz posted:

I recently got a medium firmness queen Tulo and I'm pretty happy with it, but it's just a little bit too firm and sleeps a little bit too warm. The soft was too soft though, so I was thinking maybe a topper might be a good solution? I'm not really sure honestly whether to go for a topper or try a different mattress. Was hoping for some suggestions on that and for possibly good toppers.

You may be in the unique situation where a topper could make a difference. How long have you had it? If you're clocking in under a month or two, it may very well soften up enough for you naturally without the need for a topper to soften it. To expedite that, try walking on the bed. The direct pressure of your weight confined to a small area will assist in making the break-in process much faster.

Terminus posted:

Looking at new mattresses(my old one is a 10+ year old spring mattress) and noticing that Zinus brand stuff is really cheap with suspiciously good reviews all around, even on mattress review sites. Anyone have experiences with these? A full for about $250 seems like a steal compared to other companies.

The longer I do this, the more I'm convinced that this is one of the few remaining industries where "you get what you pay for" seems to be fairly reliable. Most of these bed-in-a-box products, especially the cheap, double especially the imported, are quite new and people who purchase them are transitioning off of really lovely mattresses. Given that virtually any new mattress will feel better than any failing mattress, and that folks tend to review things within the first few weeks or months, there isn't a good barometer for products and companies this young. In my city, we're now starting to see folks who bought bed-in-a-box products matriculate into our stores at around the 5 year mark who are profoundly unhappy.

This does not mean it will be you--you may be able to drop a couple of benjamins on a cheap biab mattress and be perfectly happy! I just want to underline that you should take reviews with a heaping helping of salt in this instance.

Imaduck posted:

I've had a "New" Purple King.3 [...]

As far as I know, the new Purple mattresses are hybrids instead of being their polymer on foam. And yeah, they're pretty pricey!

I've not had the pleasure of trying any Purple, but I've had the Purple 2 described to me succinctly as "a goddamn trampoline," and was wondering if that was a relatively apt description. The polymer has to feel kinda like super dense latex, right? And to put rubber on springs has to be extraordinarily bouncy?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Ugh so jealous. My Purple was supposed to be delivered on Saturday but they had to push it back a week and I'm going to be away this weekend so that means two more weeks on an air bed.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Synastren posted:

As far as I know, the new Purple mattresses are hybrids instead of being their polymer on foam. And yeah, they're pretty pricey!

I've not had the pleasure of trying any Purple, but I've had the Purple 2 described to me succinctly as "a goddamn trampoline," and was wondering if that was a relatively apt description. The polymer has to feel kinda like super dense latex, right? And to put rubber on springs has to be extraordinarily bouncy?
Yeah, it's definitely springy. It dampens quick though, so it doesn't like, wobble up and down like a trampoline. Basically, it's just as bouncy as you'd want it to be.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im shopping for a new bed, currently sleeping on a inner spring mattress that is old and poo poo.

it gets complicated because my mother works for Sealy, and can get us great deals on their mattresses.

unfortunately, my partner really likes Tempur foam mattresses. I found them comfy too but they are way beyond our budget.

Are they any better than mattresses in a box type beds, or are they largely all the same wrt materials and comfort?

I didnt find it hot to lay on, and I am a hot sleeper, but we were in an airconditioned store. We have AC, but summer here gets super hot, and I imagine that a foam bed absorbs and retains a lot of heat (for example, like when its a hot summers day and the AC is not running while we are at work)

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Laserface posted:

Im shopping for a new bed, currently sleeping on a inner spring mattress that is old and poo poo.

it gets complicated because my mother works for Sealy, and can get us great deals on their mattresses.

unfortunately, my partner really likes Tempur foam mattresses. I found them comfy too but they are way beyond our budget.

Are they any better than mattresses in a box type beds, or are they largely all the same wrt materials and comfort?

I didnt find it hot to lay on, and I am a hot sleeper, but we were in an airconditioned store. We have AC, but summer here gets super hot, and I imagine that a foam bed absorbs and retains a lot of heat (for example, like when its a hot summers day and the AC is not running while we are at work)

Tempur and Sealy are the same company, so it's very likely that your mom can get you deal on those, too.

Otherwise, I'll investigate some options for you when I get free!

ed:
I missed this in my original read.

NO traditionally sold all foam mattress is like a bed in a box product. They are more expensive, and the material tends to be considerably better, last longer, and perform at a higher level. Feel is subjective, but I've never felt a bed in a box that felt as good as a "traditional" all foam mattress, regardless of brand. This isn't to get in to differences between brands or collections (e.g., an iComfort feels fundamentally different from Tempur, which feels different from something like DreamBed Lux, etc.) but just to say that beds-in-a-box are sold at low prices for some very strong reasons. :v:

Synastren fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 21, 2019

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Recently got a job and decided to get a Purple 2 instead of going with a cheaper foam one and man am I glad I did. I like the feel of memory foam just lying on it for a few minutes but I couldn't sleep on it - it's too sinky for tossing and turning around and I sweat like mad. This thing has everything I like about memory foam and nothing I don't. People say that in general it could take a little while to get used to a new mattress and sleep well on it but I immediately slept great.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm torn between two mattresses. I loved both of them, but the more expensive one is from a local company, 10 year warranty, been in business for 40 years. The other is the big name Sealy, but I can't find the specs on it to see if there is another brand cheaper with similar specs but better materials. I've heard newer big box mattresses are just crap now with planned obsolescence. I'm willing to pay a little more if it means it lasts longer with the bonus of supporting local.

I'm a side sleeper that sleeps hot and I'm somewhere in the medium range when it comes to beds. I really liked the feel of gel over latex, but it could be from the particular model I tried. Also since I'm single I latex have allergy concerns for any stranger that might want to sleep on my bed.

Here's the local mom and pop: http://www.bowlesmattress.com/Products/Mattresses--By-Category/Hybrid-Mattresses/233/Hybrid-Gel-Memory-Foam

Here's the Sealy I liked: https://www.mattressandmore.com/category/mattresses/thorton-plush-euro-pillowtop-queen-mattress.html

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 3, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So the wife came back hard on the mattress issue and I think we finally found what we want: https://www.lebeda.com/product/opulence-pillowtop/

So this I think has everything that I've been wanting and or told is good: pocketed coils, a micro coil layer, all talalay latex foam (I think 8 inches total, 2 for the pillowtop and 6 for the main part), and very plush. Wife loved it. They offered delivery and disposal and setup for $3900, all in (king). This seems like a pretty solid deal...most other mattresses I've seen that are around those specs are $6k+.

Any reason not to pull the trigger on this? Company seems legit, sales guy was very good.

They also had a straight talalay mattress that was I think 9 inches for $2k. I loved it but wife wasn't as into it. That is a drat miracle substance though.

Wife also really liked the Tempurpedic "TEMPUR-LuxeAdapt", but it looks like it'd be about $1500 more even without a power base.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 3, 2019

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm torn between two mattresses. I loved both of them, but the more expensive one is from a local company, 10 year warranty, been in business for 40 years. The other is the big name Sealy, but I can't find the specs on it to see if there is another brand cheaper with similar specs but better materials. I've heard newer big box mattresses are just crap now with planned obsolescence. I'm willing to pay a little more if it means it lasts longer with the bonus of supporting local.

I'm a side sleeper that sleeps hot and I'm somewhere in the medium range when it comes to beds. I really liked the feel of gel over latex, but it could be from the particular model I tried. Also since I'm single I latex have allergy concerns for any stranger that might want to sleep on my bed.

Here's the local mom and pop: http://www.bowlesmattress.com/Products/Mattresses--By-Category/Hybrid-Mattresses/233/Hybrid-Gel-Memory-Foam

Here's the Sealy I liked: https://www.mattressandmore.com/category/mattresses/thorton-plush-euro-pillowtop-queen-mattress.html

I can't tell much from the Bowels mattress, but it seems like a decent enough mattress. It seems like it was built with many of the same design philosophies of a Sealy posturepedic (i.e., center support primarily through gel infused foam). I have no idea what in the hell their edge encasement is, but it seems like some proprietary coil unit? Stearns & Foster experimented with that a few years ago, and then TSI rolled it out on pretty much all of their inner springs.

Local business is generally something I will support, but I'm somewhat apprehensive about the unique guarantees of local manufacturer/retailer set-ups. I have some competition in my market with some intriguing guarantees that also have significant down sides. For example, a local competitor will allow you to send your mattress back to the facility free of charge (or for a nominal fee) to change the firmness or softness. This process may take a week or two, but you can do it every few weeks if you are so inclined. The issue is that if you send it back, you are bereft of a bed while yours is being modified. Their warranty for their proprietary products has the same circumstance.

The Sealy product you linked is similar to (or slightly upgraded from) a model we used to carry a few years ago. It was a very solid midrange product, but the cushion firm variation was much more popular than their pillowtop variant. My personal observation is that Sealy excels specifically in the firm-to-medium feel, and doesn't do plush well in comparison to pretty much everyone else. Also, it seems as if you're shopping at an establishment that likely inflates an "MSRP" number to make non-sales look more impressive. Sealy specifically says that the Premium collection starts at $1499--which is what that website prices the Thorton.

Latex allergies are almost exclusively contact allergies, so if you get an allergen barrier protector, you should almost completely eliminate any danger of allergic reaction to you or a sleeping companion. Furthermore, gel infusions in foam are not for cooling properties, but for increasing the density of the foam to be more supportive. Phase change material (PCM) is the only active cooling agent in wide use in beds. I don't want to unpack that here; this is dense enough as is, and I haven't even tackled your concerns regarding longevity, or made a recommendation. :v:

A 10 year warranty is industry standard, and you will be hard pressed to find that anywhere that isn't making their own stuff. And local places will generally have immense markup on their products to make up for the relatively low volume they do in comparison to larger companies. I know our local competitor has to do only a fraction of our business for each store to turn a profit simply because of the profit margin of making their own stuff. That 10 year warranty exists because market research shows that the average time a mattress is kept is approximately 9 years. If you know that the vast majority of your customer base is going to keep a mattress for 9ish years, why would you market a warranty for much longer than that?

I honestly don't expect you would see much difference in performance between the two products you listed, and I would encourage you to see what the return/exchange policy is for each place of business. Try the mattress as thoroughly as you can in-store in any way you do at home--try sitting on the edge and tying/untying your shoes, or lounging on your side, or whatever it is you do, but with your pants on. Also, you should 100% see if you can cajole some additional savings out of the Sealy product if you want to go that way, because it appears that Mattress and More (??) likes to pitch non-sales as savings events. gently caress that approach imo.

PS: If your local guy knows what you're measuring them to, they should be a bit more enticed to beat the major retailer. Get a quote for the Thorton, bring it to your local place, and see if they can work with you.

Godspeed. :patriot:

bewbies posted:

So the wife came back hard on the mattress issue and I think we finally found what we want: https://www.lebeda.com/product/opulence-pillowtop/

So this I think has everything that I've been wanting and or told is good: pocketed coils, a micro coil layer, all talalay latex foam (I think 8 inches total, 2 for the pillowtop and 6 for the main part), and very plush. Wife loved it. They offered delivery and disposal and setup for $3900, all in (king). This seems like a pretty solid deal...most other mattresses I've seen that are around those specs are $6k+.

Any reason not to pull the trigger on this? Company seems legit, sales guy was very good.

They also had a straight talalay mattress that was I think 9 inches for $2k. I loved it but wife wasn't as into it. That is a drat miracle substance though.

Wife also really liked the Tempurpedic "TEMPUR-LuxeAdapt", but it looks like it'd be about $1500 more even without a power base.

gently caress I dislike Lebeda. I want to respond to this more aggressively than I should here, but I want to know what your local options are. If you don't mind, post here or PM me with what city you're in (or near you) so I can see if I can speak directly to what options you may have!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Been sleeping on my Purple for a couple of weeks now. It may be the single greatest purchase I've ever made.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Welp, this thread convinced me to spend a lot more than I expected on a purple cal king (I'm tall as hell and don't sleep alone), and I got the sheets, protector, and platform to go with it. In a month or so when it arrives I'll either love or hate you all

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've got an usual mattress related problem.

I'm currently sleeping in an attic, on a crappy mattress that I want to replace.

But the stairs up to the attic is ridiculously small. The current queen must have been squished or folded severely to have fit in the first place.

What mattress types would be either foldable, or be able to survive being deformed? I assume something like a futon, but I don't really know anything about mattresses.

I'm also not going to be living in an attic forever, so I don't want anything fancy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Foam bed in a box, comes highly compressed at a better than 4:1 ratio in a box! The queen tuft & needle ships 16"x16"x44", others should be comparable, twins should be tiny.

Just don't open it until it's where it's going.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 12, 2019

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cool, didn't know those existed. I guess they're impossible to compress back down to the small size?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

shame on an IGA posted:

Foam bed in a box, comes highly compressed at a better than 4:1 ratio in a box! The queen tuft & needle ships 16"x16"x44", others should be comparable, twins should be tiny.

Just don't open it until it's where it's going.

Count Roland posted:

Cool, didn't know those existed. I guess they're impossible to compress back down to the small size?

Bed in a box is pretty much your best option to get it their easily. Any all foam mattress will work, since they can all bend.

And they're so compressed because they're rolled up and vacuum sealed. I guess you could technically get it back in that shape, but it would be... difficult.

There are a lot of bed in a box products, so I'd suggest you just chase the best price, as I don't think that you will find a lot of difference in quality. tulo, Tuft & Needle, Casper, Purple classic, Nectar, etc. I'd be super careful of anything under $300, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Any thoughts on futons? I just laid down on some today and they felt about the same as a mattress, and since they can be folded they also meet my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

Bed in a box is pretty much your best option to get it their easily. Any all foam mattress will work, since they can all bend.

And they're so compressed because they're rolled up and vacuum sealed. I guess you could technically get it back in that shape, but it would be... difficult.

There are a lot of bed in a box products, so I'd suggest you just chase the best price, as I don't think that you will find a lot of difference in quality. tulo, Tuft & Needle, Casper, Purple classic, Nectar, etc. I'd be super careful of anything under $300, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

I imagine that they also have industrial machines that will roll and seal them. (Edit: T&N's unboxing video: https://vimeo.com/138112674 That kind of compression requires more than a vacuum cleaner)

Tuft & Needle did recommend not leaving them packed that way for more than a month. I think they have a sale going on now too.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 17, 2019