Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I assume this roughly translates to "same energy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I hope 5.0 has a massage minigame like in X-2.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hello friends

Please watch some of this cursed video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HNk7D7kQvg

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde

jabro posted:

Yes please!

Heck yeah! The more the merrier.

For simplicity's sake I'm going to skimp on some of the rules and terminology of mahjong and focus on four points that I think will create a foundation from which you can play the game online with relative confidence and to be able to learn the rest as you play.

Mahjong is easy. There are three suits of tiles numbered 1 through 9 and an unsuited set of honor tiles. There are four copies of each tile for a total of... 136, I think? The objective is to be the first to complete a hand by assembling 4 "sets" and a "pair." A "set" is a short straight (4-5-6 of the same suit, for example), a triplet (3-3-3, same suit), or four-of-a-kind, and the "pair" is two identical tiles. Each of the four players take turns one-by-one by drawing, then discarding a tile. Any player may instead claim the most recent discard to complete a set or to win the game. When a winning hand is assembled, either by a drawn tile or a claimed discard, the player reveals it and shouts "tsumo!" or "ron!" to an audience of cheering, adoring faces.

Mahjong is hard. That is the basic game, the real game is in scoring points and taking everyone's money. Japanese mahjong requires you to complete a hand as described above and score a minimum point value of one "yaku." A yaku is awarded when you complete specific hands or satisfy certain conditions (Such as having 4 triplets or a same-suited 1 through 9 straight). There are a lot of them and you have to memorize them. Don't worry though, there will most likely be a full list you can pull up in game at any time (Oh, god I hope there's a list). The best way to learn, I think, is to pick two or three easy yaku from the list and focus on winning with those. Once you're comfortable, try more yaku and soon you'll be winning more games and with more points. The more yaku you have in your hand, the larger your score. The losers pay a pot the winner based on score. A win from a drawn tile will have the losing players split the cost of the pot three ways, however a win from a discarded tile will have the discarding player pay the full amount.

Furiten: The best rule. "Furiten" states that you can not win a hand by claiming a discard if you have previously discarded a copy of one of your winning tiles. Every player's discard pile is kept neat and tidy for this reason. You will be able to keep track of both your and your opponents' discards. This means you can deduce what tiles the other players might want and avoid playing into their hands and getting stuck paying the entire pot.

That one trick I know about. Tiles can be divided into three categories: Honors (winds, dragons), terminals (1s and 9s of each suit), and simples (2 through 8). These categories are based on how easily you can match sets with them. Honors being the hardest, then terminals, then simples. Keep the valuable ones, throw away the rest and your hand will come together quicker. Of course, your opponents know the same thing. Read their discards. Honors usually come out at the start of the game, simples when a player is about to win. Be careful, but also be daring.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Huh, I've only played Chinese-style mahjong before so I had no idea about furiten. That'll make things interesting.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Hello friends

I was curious, so

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/Q8LcR6KpThD9GzmM#fight=4&type=damage-done&start=1247818&end=1770164

:yikes:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 30, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

mother of god

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ibblebibble posted:

Huh, I've only played Chinese-style mahjong before so I had no idea about furiten. That'll make things interesting.

It's weird learning Mahjong because all I've ever known is what my grandma taught me and I have no idea what it is. It's most likely some local version of Chinese rules in Guangdong province.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Captain Cappy posted:

The best Final Fantasy is Mystic Quest.

Just stop

Please, just stop

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

i am, at best, an average pub BLM player, and i'd be loving ashamed if i got this kind of parse with 0 deaths

every part of that video hurt

e: the DRG death at 2:40 is somehow more DRG than backflipping out of the arena

Rea fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 30, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Kirby's mahjong experience:
1) Shanghai on a Mac Colour Classic in primary school
2) Each and every time it turns up in Yakuza, saying to myself "This is it. This time, I learn mahjong", then five minutes later making some kind of horrible blubbering sound as I use the cheat items because I still don't get it

So basically, Doman Mahjong will be 2) but without the cheat item and probably more horrible nosies.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Hello friends

How did anyone get a hold of this video? What possessed this terrible player to post this?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Hello friends

Hmm I don't see what so strange abou-

aaaaaa

AAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :stonk:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hello friends

They have to be trolling. There's just no way.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

They removed the video in shame, now this is all we have to remember it by.

e. if you missed the video, find the bad on the FFLogs. The video was their pov.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 30, 2018

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If Xeno was streaming video probably still exists, though not from the BLM pov.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

What was the video I missed it!

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
It was an o9s clear from the pov of a 3k DPS BLM.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
A BLM whos skill usage consisted only of Blizzard 3, Fire 3, and Fire 4.

He let Enochain fall off right away every time by not ever refreshing Astral.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

And quite possibly the most absolute DRG moment I've seen from a DRG the entire patch as they Elusive Dive straight into killing range of Umbra Smash.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
I sometimes have concerns about not being very good at BLM or this game in general.

Then I see that and know I could be far, far worse.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

And quite possibly the most absolute DRG moment I've seen from a DRG the entire patch as they Elusive Dive straight into killing range of Umbra Smash.

Once - by accident, and despite my repeated attempts to replicate it since - when Chaos jumps in the cyclone phase, I timed dragonfire perfectly to where I followed Chaos all the way across the arena, right through the cyclone, and get landed on. Nobody realized until they got to the boss and they saw my corpse already there.

Like, from one corner all the way to the opposite corner, further than the normal range on any of the jumps. I didn't even know that could happen.

Never have I felt more like a dragoon.

If only I had been recording :negative:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Zack Ater posted:

Once - by accident, and despite my repeated attempts to replicate it since - when Chaos jumps in the cyclone phase, I timed dragonfire perfectly to where I followed Chaos all the way across the arena, right through the cyclone, and get landed on. Nobody realized until they got to the boss and they saw my corpse already there.

Like, from one corner all the way to the opposite corner, further than the normal range on any of the jumps. I didn't even know that could happen.

:allears: warms my heart

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zack Ater posted:

I do this intentionally on DRK with Plunge. Occasionally you get really unlucky and get the DOT, but it isn't lethal usually.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MechaX posted:

Just stop

Please, just stop

The way enemy graphics changed as you beat them was cool and I wish more RPGs did that.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Screaming Idiot posted:

The way enemy graphics changed as you beat them was cool and I wish more RPGs did that.

Also the music is rad as hell.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

CeallaSo posted:

Also the music is rad as hell.

Those wouldn't sound out of place in a Megaman X game.

That is the hughest praise possible for the SNES.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Mystic Quest might be one of my first RPGs played / completed. It's a bad game these days of course, but it was a great for a kid in the 90s. I keep meaning to go replay it for the hell of it, but i'm never going to be able to do it without a turbo / autofire button.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's a new sheriff in town yada yada yada

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Screaming Idiot posted:

Those wouldn't sound out of place in a Megaman X game.

That is the hughest praise possible for the SNES.

Worth noting that Mystic Quest was released very early in the SNES's life cycle. The music being that good that quickly was a legitimate achievement.

I still want something MQ-related to appear in FFXIV just to give Soken an excuse to rock out with that soundtrack.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
who are some good ffxiv artists to follow on twitter? good can mean either mechanically good or people who make funny meme pics

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Crackerjack posted:

Heck yeah! The more the merrier.

For simplicity's sake I'm going to skimp on some of the rules and terminology of mahjong and focus on four points that I think will create a foundation from which you can play the game online with relative confidence and to be able to learn the rest as you play.

Mahjong is easy. There are three suits of tiles numbered 1 through 9 and an unsuited set of honor tiles. There are four copies of each tile for a total of... 136, I think? The objective is to be the first to complete a hand by assembling 4 "sets" and a "pair." A "set" is a short straight (4-5-6 of the same suit, for example), a triplet (3-3-3, same suit), or four-of-a-kind, and the "pair" is two identical tiles. Each of the four players take turns one-by-one by drawing, then discarding a tile. Any player may instead claim the most recent discard to complete a set or to win the game. When a winning hand is assembled, either by a drawn tile or a claimed discard, the player reveals it and shouts "tsumo!" or "ron!" to an audience of cheering, adoring faces.

Mahjong is hard. That is the basic game, the real game is in scoring points and taking everyone's money. Japanese mahjong requires you to complete a hand as described above and score a minimum point value of one "yaku." A yaku is awarded when you complete specific hands or satisfy certain conditions (Such as having 4 triplets or a same-suited 1 through 9 straight). There are a lot of them and you have to memorize them. Don't worry though, there will most likely be a full list you can pull up in game at any time (Oh, god I hope there's a list). The best way to learn, I think, is to pick two or three easy yaku from the list and focus on winning with those. Once you're comfortable, try more yaku and soon you'll be winning more games and with more points. The more yaku you have in your hand, the larger your score. The losers pay a pot the winner based on score. A win from a drawn tile will have the losing players split the cost of the pot three ways, however a win from a discarded tile will have the discarding player pay the full amount.

Furiten: The best rule. "Furiten" states that you can not win a hand by claiming a discard if you have previously discarded a copy of one of your winning tiles. Every player's discard pile is kept neat and tidy for this reason. You will be able to keep track of both your and your opponents' discards. This means you can deduce what tiles the other players might want and avoid playing into their hands and getting stuck paying the entire pot.

That one trick I know about. Tiles can be divided into three categories: Honors (winds, dragons), terminals (1s and 9s of each suit), and simples (2 through 8). These categories are based on how easily you can match sets with them. Honors being the hardest, then terminals, then simples. Keep the valuable ones, throw away the rest and your hand will come together quicker. Of course, your opponents know the same thing. Read their discards. Honors usually come out at the start of the game, simples when a player is about to win. Be careful, but also be daring.

Thanks for the write up! Do you know if there is an iOS version that follows this rule set over the Chinese version?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Ibblebibble posted:

It's High Mewn

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

jabro posted:

Thanks for the write up! Do you know if there is an iOS version that follows this rule set over the Chinese version?

It's called Riichi Mahjong, so just look for that.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

joined my first party finder group for shinryu ex now that i have a few clears under my belt

we make it to final phase before we hop on the wings, wipe, people start pointing fingers right away and the group immediately disbands

:smith:

i just want chill attempts for totems

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Ibblebibble posted:

What pants are those?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Those are the Shire aiming pants. Also the Shire ninja pants, which have the same model but a differently colored belt buckle.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

joined my first party finder group for shinryu ex now that i have a few clears under my belt

we make it to final phase before we hop on the wings, wipe, people start pointing fingers right away and the group immediately disbands

:smith:

i just want chill attempts for totems

joined a practice group instead and got to help out with this, at least :unsmith:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Finally met one of those fabled newcomers-who-bought-boosts in Leveling Roulette at Sirensong. They were the Tank. The concepts of "tank stances", "enmity combos", or "using abilities besides auto-attack, really" were fairly beyond them even with some light coaching. Unfortunately, the rest of the party also seemed to be returning players both unfamiliar with playing healer and what stack markers were for, themselves. At the third wipe on the first boss, someone finally voted to abandon.

I did suggest the tank run Hall of the Novice and/or rolling an alternate character to try going through the early story first until they got the hang of their buttons, but it seems like there could be something in place besides "the 2.0 MSQ + Job Quests" for that kind of case. Though I guess if Squareenix already has their money, :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Thundarr posted:

Worth noting that Mystic Quest was released very early in the SNES's life cycle. The music being that good that quickly was a legitimate achievement.

I still want something MQ-related to appear in FFXIV just to give Soken an excuse to rock out with that soundtrack.

Pazuzu is in Eureka, but the music is just the regular rear end Eureka NM music. I am sorry.