Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
AJ Styles vs Daniel Bryan was set for the Royal Rumble. It will be a good match, but this seems like incredibly convoluted booking to just give AJ another shot at the title. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DarkstarIV posted:

AJ Styles vs Daniel Bryan was set for the Royal Rumble. It will be a good match, but this seems like incredibly convoluted booking to just give AJ another shot at the title. :geno:

:siren: NEW MATCH UPS :siren:
:siren: NEW SUPERSTARS :siren:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

VJeff posted:

:siren: NEW MATCH UPS :siren:
:siren: NEW SUPERSTARS :siren:

don't forget no automatic rematches, a new policy which lasted less than a loving week

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

...I shouldn't be surprised, but I thought they might actually try to make a token effort to elevate someone, especially at a PPV where the title isn't the main draw AND where a hardcore audience would be likely to be into Ali. But this fuckin' company doesn't know any other way to book except "have these 2 people wrestle every 2 weeks for the next 4 months." and they have the gall to be shocked when ratings and reviews suffer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

don't forget no automatic rematches, a new policy which lasted less than a loving week

Disregarding the fact that no major changes were ever going to happen in taped holiday shows, do y'all not realize the difference between no automatic rematches and no rematches whatsoever? They can still do rematches to their heart's content and technically not be automatic. I'm aware that this is pedantic as gently caress but it's driving me crazy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

no automatic rematches, let's have them earn it through multiman matches nobody else stands a real chance of winning because they're already in feuds, or jobber x gets a one-night shot the same night he earns the shot because that's completely fair when there's three more weeks of shows before the PPV

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, this isn't an automatic rematch. AJ 'earned' this match. But Ali pinning the champion doesn't count as earning a title match because

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I should point out here that AJ already got his automatic rematch at whatever the hell the last PPV was. So this isn't an automatic rematch one way or the other.

But it's another :jerkbag: in the face of their "new matches! new matches! new new new, things are changing!" shtick. They had an opportunity for no less than three exciting new matches, including one they'd already set up that would've been new and unique and fun and solidified a new guy in the main event scene of SD and they decided to just pad out the Bryan/AJ feud instead. This is why you should never trust WWE.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 30, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Like seriously, THIS is why wins and losses don't matter, because you teach the audience they don't by not actually having them matter.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Wrestling is a work.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the win mattered. big time

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Disregarding the fact that no major changes were ever going to happen in taped holiday shows, do y'all not realize the difference between no automatic rematches and no rematches whatsoever? They can still do rematches to their heart's content and technically not be automatic. I'm aware that this is pedantic as gently caress but it's driving me crazy.

The point is that they've gone from "you lost so you don't get a rematch" on Monday to "you lost but you still get a rematch" tonight and no amount of rules-lawyering about "well actually this isn't an automatic rematch so technically it's fine" makes that a good decision.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Julio Cruz posted:

The point is that they've gone from "you lost so you don't get a rematch" on Monday to "you lost but you still get a rematch" tonight and no amount of rules-lawyering about "well actually this isn't an automatic rematch so technically it's fine" makes that a good decision.

I mean, it literally isn't an automatic rematch. AJ had his automatic rematch at TLC, this is a completely different rematch.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Utterly amazing that you are all arguing against another AJ/Bryan match. As if Bryan/Ali would be any better or drive more business for the Wrestlemania season. You're following the wrong company if you think an unexplained rule change in a single segment will stop the January-April money train.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Psychepath posted:

Utterly amazing that you are all arguing against another AJ/Bryan match. As if Bryan/Ali would be any better or drive more business for the Wrestlemania season. You're following the wrong company if you think an unexplained rule change in a single segment will stop the January-April money train.

Would it be worse? And pushing Ali gives them the chance of a guy under 40 being over. Plus it's the RR title match. It doesn't matter if it's not an instant draw because people are there for the Rumble.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Psychepath posted:

You mostly have a point, but it's the Rumble. You don't need a title match to draw for that.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
wwe doesnt care what title matches it books for the rumble because the title match isn't the draw for the ppv. they can always add ali to it later because AJ struck Vince or w/e

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Psychepath posted:

Nah, bro. Jumping a guy from 205 Live to co-main of the Rumble in six weeks is totally logical.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mkay0 posted:

Nah, bro. Jumping a guy from 205 Live to co-main of the Rumble in six weeks is totally logical.
They pushed Balor harder than that when he came up. And also... Yes. That's how you make stars. Or are you one of the ones who whined about Rousey not "earning" her spot by working 3 minute back and forth matches on Main Event for 6 months

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mkay0 posted:

WWE title was the curtain jerker this year btw, which shows you exactly how much they think of the WWE title match at the Rumble.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Rumble title matches have been meaningless for more than a decade now since one WM main event gets set with the Rumble winner and the other gets set at Elimination Chamber.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

mkay0 posted:

Hardcore loving Holly has co-mained a Rumble, it's literally a "why not" slot. You could throw anyone in there and if they can work, Bryan would probably get them over huge by the end of the match and you'd have... a new star! :aaaaa:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Royal Rumble title matches aren't really generally used to give throwaway title shots or experiments, they're almost always either a marquee-esque match and occasionally a way to shuffle the titles into a different feud for Wrestlemania. When they aren't, they're usually remembered as lovely.

1998: Shawn Michaels (c) vs. Undertaker in a casket match
1999: Mankind (c) vs. the Rock in an I Quit Match
2000: HHH (c) vs. Cactus Jack in a street fight match
2001: Kurt Angle (c) vs. HHH
2002: Chris Jericho (c) vs. The Rock
2003: HHH (c) vs. Scott Steiner, [b]Kurt Angle (c) vs. Chris Benoit
2004: HHH (c) vs. Shawn Michaels, Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Hardcore Holly
2005: HHH (c) vs. Randy Orton, JBL (c) vs. Big Show vs. Kurt Angle
2006: John Cena (c) vs. Edge, Kurt Angle (c) vs. Mark Henry
2007: Batista (c) vs. Mr. Kennedy, John Cena (c) vs. Umaga
2008: Edge (c) vs. Rey Mysterio, Randy Orton (c) vs. Jeff Hardy
2009: John Cena (c) vs. JBL, Jeff Hardy (c) vs. Edge
2010: Sheamus (c) vs. Randy Orton, Undertaker (c) vs. Rey Mysterio
2011: Edge (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler, The Miz (c) vs. Randy Orton
2012: CM Punk (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan (c) vs. Mark Henry vs. The Big Show
2013: Alberto del Rio (c) vs. The Big Show, CM Punk (c) vs. The Rock
2014: Randy Orton (c) vs. John Cena
2015: Brock Lesnar (c) vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins
2016: HHH wins the Royal Rumble for the WWE WHC
2017: Kevin Owens (c) vs. Roman Reigns, AJ Styles (c) vs. John Cena
2018: Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Kane vs. Braun Strowman, AJ Styles (c) vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn
2019: Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Braun Strowman, Daniel Bryan (c) vs. AJ Styles

The title has actually changed hands a lot more at RRs than I remembered, Cena won it off Styles in 2017, Triple H 'won' it off Reigns in 2016, Rock beat Punk in 2013, and Edge beat Jeff Hardy in 2010. That's only four times in seventeen title matches, but still. Ali is unquestionably more talented in 2018 than Steiner, Holly, Kennedy, and the other misfit toys that got title matches, but a Bryan/Ali match seems more like something they'd try in May or June, not at the official kickoff of "Wrestlemania season". That's not necessarily a good thing, but it is a WWE thing.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 30, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

She's wearing more in this picture than she does when wrestling.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

The Cameo posted:

Hardcore loving Holly has co-mained a Rumble, it's literally a "why not" slot. You could throw anyone in there and if they can work, Bryan would probably get them over huge by the end of the match and you'd have... a new star! :aaaaa:

Do you think there is time to switch it to Bryan vs. Holly?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Imagine caring this much about the WWE title in 2018/19

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Imagine caring about the water quality Right here in flint, michigan

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Cavauro posted:

Imagine caring about the water quality Right here in flint, michigan

:(

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

DarkstarIV posted:

https://twitter.com/brittsxcoles/status/1079207858804281345

I could see Asuka facing Carmella at the Royal Rumble, and that being a way to write her out of the #30 spot so they can put someone else there.

I mean there's nothing saying you can compete for the championship and are exempt from the Rumble. Double duty has happened before.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

NoMoneyDown posted:

I mean there's nothing saying you can compete for the championship and are exempt from the Rumble. Double duty has happened before.

Of course, but I'm thinking if they really don't want Carmella in the #30 spot when the Rumble rolls around, its a way to write her off. Have her get beaten so badly by Asuka, she's unable to compete later in the evening.

WWE does a lot of stupid poo poo, but I dunno if they'll stick to their guns and have two comedy jobbers in the #30 spots in both Rumbles when the time comes around.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/WrestlingSheet/status/1079208791999078400

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Very JBL-esque hair on Cena there.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Germansimp posted:

Very JBL-esque hair on Cena there.

Time for a year long WWE title run as heel fatcat JC

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cena looks like Mark Wahlberg's stunt double now.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I love how you can see Becky corpsing in these moments but they never come across on tv.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Royal Rumble title matches aren't really generally used to give throwaway title shots or experiments, they're almost always either a marquee-esque match and occasionally a way to shuffle the titles into a different feud for Wrestlemania. When they aren't, they're usually remembered as lovely.

The title has actually changed hands a lot more at RRs than I remembered, Cena won it off Styles in 2017, Triple H 'won' it off Reigns in 2016, Rock beat Punk in 2013, and Edge beat Jeff Hardy in 2010. That's only four times in seventeen title matches, but still. Ali is unquestionably more talented in 2018 than Steiner, Holly, Kennedy, and the other misfit toys that got title matches, but a Bryan/Ali match seems more like something they'd try in May or June, not at the official kickoff of "Wrestlemania season". That's not necessarily a good thing, but it is a WWE thing.
I'd argue that this is true for the 'main' title match, but let's be honest, that's Brock/Braun. WWE doesn't see Bryan as the key draw and turning Styles into a foil for whatever this year's McMahon bullshit isn't likely to be a positive, considering it nearly killed Styles, Owens and Zayn last year in the build to WM.

OTOH, you're right that I was a fool to be suckered into thinking WWE might book one thing in a way that's actually forward thinking and not just clinging to the same-old "repeat matches until people are even sick of Bryan/Styles" booking.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
NXT spoilers:

quote:

January 9th Episode:

- Johnny Gargano opens the episode with an in-ring promo. Gargano sounds babyface but it feels fake, and he says his 2019 will be different from his 2018, in that he will be better and he will become champion. Gargano says what happened in the Steel Cage match with Aleister Black was a one-time mistake and it won't happen again. He says NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa is not his friend, is a piece of trash, and he has the title that Gargano is coming for. Gargano also has his eye on the NXT North American Title, held by Ricochet. Ricochet interrupts and says Gargano can have a title shot. Ciampa interrupts but Gargano tells him to shut up because he doesn't belong out here. Aleister interrupts from the big screen and says Ciampa will fade to black at "Takeover: Phoenix" later this month. The lights go out and when they come back on, Black is in the ring. He attacks Ciampa. Gargano takes advantage of Ricochet being distracted and lays him out with a superkick. Gargano leaves and Ciampa retreats

- Bianca Belair defeated Nikki Cross. It looks like this was the last NXT TV match for Cross, who is headed to the main roster. She played to the crowd after the match and stayed in the ring for a few minutes. She received a standing ovation and a "thank you Nikki" chant that went on for a few minutes

- Marcel Barthel and Fabian Aichner defeated two enhancement talents, Hector Kunsman and Stanley Watts

- Adam Cole defeated EC3. After the match, EC3 was attacked by The Undisputed Era. They beat EC3 down until The War Raiders made the save, clearing the ring

January 16 Episode:

- The Street Profits defeated enhancement talents The Metro Brothers. After the match, The Forgotten Sons attacked The Street Profits and laid them out

- Bianca Belair comes out for an in-ring promo and mentions how she beat Nikki Cross last week to send her out of NXT. Belair says 2019 will be her year and that starts with taking the NXT Women's Title from Shayna Baszler. Baszler interrupts with Marina Shafir and Jessamyn Duke. Baszler says Belair doesn't have the "it" factor and she may be athletic but she's not too bright. Belair slaps Baszler and retreats from the ring before the Horsewomen can get her

- Dominik Dijakovic defeated Adrian Jaoude

- Johnny Gargano defeated Humberto Carrillo

- Kassius Ohno defeated Keith Lee after hitting a low blow. Ohno went to attack after the match but Matt Riddle ran out and Ohno retreated

January 23 Episode:

- The Velveteen Dream returns to cut an in-ring promo on winning the NXT North American Title in 2019. Adam Cole and Bobby Fish of The Undisputed Era interrupt. 2019 will belong to The Undisputed Era as they will hold every NXT title - the NXT NA Title, the NXT Title and the NXT Tag Team Titles. They intimidate Dream and go to attack him but he gets away

- Lacey Evans defeated Xia Li

- Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch defeated Marcel Barthel and Fabian Aichner

- Io Shirai and Kairi Sane defeated enhancement talents Amber Nova and Tanea Brooks (Rebel)

- The Velveteen Dream defeated Bobby Fish

- NXT North American Champion Ricochet comes out and says Johnny Gargano lied about being a better man in 2019 because he hit him with a cheap shot last time they saw each other. Gargano comes out with a mic and tries to attack but Ricochet blocked. NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa comes out and drops Ricochet from behind. Aleister Black runs out and attacks Ciampa but Gargano makes the save. Gargano meets Ciampa on the stage and it looks like we're about to get a DIY handshake but Candice LeRae comes out and gets in between them, telling Gargano not to trust Ciampa

Sorta weird that Lacey Evans got to walk out of NXT on top. And Bianca is apparently the actual heel in this feud b/w her and Shayna. Crowd reactions to Bianca were mixed through the night. While she got some "Undefeated" chants, the crowd also called her overrated during her match with Nikki, and also in her promo with Shayna. Also the Johnny/Ciampa stuff is starting to come off as an actual daytime soap opera now.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Bianca's biggest deficit is her selling.

She ain't Sasha Banks for sure.

The tapings make for dull reading.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol wow I hope Keith Lee is making good cash cause this is not going well for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Takeover will probably be good but I'm not very hype for it.

fatherofmustard fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 4, 2019