Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

carry on then posted:

everything you write starts with 'npm'

drat lol

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
installed the latest win10 feature update and now explorer.exe has the same theme as my desktop neat

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

spankmeister posted:

I'd rather write latex than deal with ms word tbqh

Please don't talk about your fetishes.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 28, 2018

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

16pt? gently caress you here's 15.

the best part is that printed output will differ from what's on screen

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Lambert posted:

Is this supposed to illustrate how terrible Mac font rendering is? Looks like someone smeared the letters. Focusing on readability instead of exact shapes is the right move for screen font rendering.

this is some world class revisionism lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:pram:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hey kid!! world computer ...

https://twitter.com/Microsoft/status/1078795233041752065

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

microsoft guy thinking harder than he's ever thought about anything in his life: "what if the world is like...a computer?"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
stop all the downloadin

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

i know this wasnt his intention, but this tweet reads like he wants us all to live in the world of The Machine Stops.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

the worlds a computer, sent to drain
secret gangsters, hold us up to the flame

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have it on good authority that the network is the computer fyi

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bald man have very good brain

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

i didn’t know satya was a writer for black mirror

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if every person is computer, do we all gently caress computers?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

you wouldn't download a computer

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

you wouldn't download a computer

code:
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
:ohdear:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Forget smart appliances, it's time for smart trees, smart bees, and smart flowers on the IoT!

RFID care instructions, at the very least.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mr.Radar posted:

i know this wasnt his intention, but this tweet reads like he wants us all to live in the world of The Machine Stops.

that's a really good story computer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I like to put storyline in computer and feel like it's fantasy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

, computer

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I’m sort of previewing 2019 spending and I’m wondering if I couldn’t just switch over to an iPad. Like: if I need an actual windows desktop I could just spin one up in Azure and RDP to it, right? What do I actually *need* a local PC for?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Schadenboner posted:

So I’m sort of previewing 2019 spending and I’m wondering if I couldn’t just switch over to an iPad. Like: if I need an actual windows desktop I could just spin one up in Azure and RDP to it, right? What do I actually *need* a local PC for?

Really depends on what you use your PC for bud. If it's just FB and email and MS Word, an iPad is enough I guess.

As an example: if you're editing photos from a real camera, it'll be tough to even import them onto the iPad.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Schadenboner posted:

pc james
self-owning

so, nothing really

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but dont use a tablet as a "daily driver", thats insane

either get a lovely cheap mac or a lovely cheap pc (the former is better return for value)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

anything that requires a mouse for interaction (i.e. all of windows) will make you want to punch yourself in the dick

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

anything that requires a mouse for interaction (i.e. all of windows) will make you want to punch yourself in the dick

I mean, I already use the iOS RDP client for stuff so it’s not like I don’t already wear a cup?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, I already use the iOS RDP client for stuff so it’s not like I don’t already wear a cup?

username/post combo

:gizz::allears:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 30, 2018

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

svenkatesh posted:

As an example: if you're editing photos from a real camera, it'll be tough to even import them onto the iPad.

eh, idk. gf has a nice underwater camera setup; iPad Pro + SD card reader she can plug into iPad + Lightroom means she can start editing almost immediately after a dive.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

eh, idk. gf has a nice underwater camera setup; iPad Pro + SD card reader she can plug into iPad + Lightroom means she can start editing almost immediately after a dive.

Yeah, it's just that I've read mixed reviews about the SD card reader setup. Does the iPad/iPad Pro handle RAW file formats okay?

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

svenkatesh posted:

Yeah, it's just that I've read mixed reviews about the SD card reader setup. Does the iPad/iPad Pro handle RAW file formats okay?

ya RAW support is no problem - I’m honestly kinda impressed it works as well as it does. can’t speak to the card reader myself, but hers is a Taobao special and it works fine.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
I bought an iPad pro this year, unplugged my MacBook and haven't used it since. I do all my work on the iPad and it's great. for any long typing I have a Bluetooth keyboard but I rarely use it. battery life is insane. multitasking is great. there's some things you have to learn and some things are slower and some are faster so it evens out. my friend with a surface hates it and it's become unusable. he's switching to an iPad too.

*I have an old Mac set up as a Plex server so I occasionally remote into it but I don't use it for much else

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

but dont use a tablet as a "daily driver", thats insane

either get a lovely cheap mac or a lovely cheap pc (the former is better return for value)

in a hypothetical parallel universe where a cheap mac exists maybe

still, true, you either swear off computers entirely and move into the woods, or you have an actual pc, there is no tablet middle ground

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

carry on then posted:

god i love it when design blind programmers try to talk about visual arts

at least edge and ie get things like 601 vs 709 and full vs standard color space/range right, unlike anything based on chromium/mozilla. safari fixed color handling a matter of months ago in the source tree. if you want to laugh/cry, dig though years and years of chromium/mozilla bug tickets where some pro color guys calls them out on their poo poo, but some random dev goes "looks good to me" and closes the ticket.

seriously, somebody fix this poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in addition to being the most efficient render engine, edge is the most accurate render engine by far

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
which is why it must die

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

too beautiful for this world of sin, it must perish to free us from seeing all our flaws and failings reflected in its splendor

also it's broken to some degree on pretty much every google site, so in practice it is only useful in a parallel reality where msn somehow took over the internet in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also it's broken to some degree on pretty much every google site

weird that, innit?