Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes; looking for some advice on what usually comes with Linux. I'm building a frontend framework with Rust, and am working on Windows. I set up the Windows Subsystem for Linux to test (Ubuntu without GUI inside Windows)

Off topic ish but it's literally just Ubuntu, you can install an X Server for Windows and then run GUI stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here using recent Geforce 10x0 cards and a dual monitor setup at high refresh rates? Does PowerMizer work for you with the most recent drivers or is the card going at full tilt?

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
Just a quick Docker and iptables question.

I have iptables set to a default policy to DROP for the INPUT, OUTPUT and FORWARD tables and with a few open ports. I have an app running in Docker that binds a container port 8080 to 127.0.0.1:8080, which I put behind a reverse proxy bound to 0.0.0.0:80.

code:
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                  COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                      NAMES
a518b7dd29a5        imgname   "/usr/local/bin/init…"   28 hours ago        Up 11 minutes       127.0.0.1:8080->8080/tcp   containername
code:
# open a bunch of ports here
iptables etc etc

# accept on loopback
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

# drop 
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
However, I cannot get a response back from requests to 127.0.0.1:8080 or from outside on port 80, but changing the policy on OUTPUT to ACCEPT fixes it. What iptables magic will allow me to communicate with the Docker container?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
The docker daemon applies some iptables rules on system startup. In my case, the rules it adds prevent my br0 interface from working and stops the networking on my VM's working alongside docker nicely.

My hack is to SSH into my box every time I reboot it and run "systemctl restart network.service", which fixes iptables and allows docker and VM's to coexist nicely.

There are also guides saying that you can disable docker from messing with iptables, such as these:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable-docker-s-iptables-on-systemd-linux-systems
https://fralef.me/docker-and-iptables.html
https://docs.docker.com/network/iptables/#prevent-docker-from-manipulating-iptables

But I prefer to just log in and restart networking. I'm not preventing docker from applying security rules my way, and my server doesn't get a reboot very often.

I dunno if this may or may not fix your problem. It's worthy of something to be aware of, though.

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

apropos man posted:

The docker daemon applies some iptables rules on system startup. In my case, the rules it adds prevent my br0 interface from working and stops the networking on my VM's working alongside docker nicely.

My hack is to SSH into my box every time I reboot it and run "systemctl restart network.service", which fixes iptables and allows docker and VM's to coexist nicely.

There are also guides saying that you can disable docker from messing with iptables, such as these:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable-docker-s-iptables-on-systemd-linux-systems
https://docs.docker.com/network/iptables/#prevent-docker-from-manipulating-iptables

But I prefer to just log in and restart networking. I'm not preventing docker from applying security rules my way, and my server doesn't get a reboot very often.

I dunno if this may or may not fix your problem. It's worthy of something to be aware of, though.

Thanks, I've actually spent quite a bit of time pouring through Docker + iptables related documentation and guides, seems that a lot of people run into issues with Docker and iptables. Although I'd prefer to allow Docker to modify iptables so I don't have to do it manually.

code:
iptables -A OUTPUT -o docker0 -j ACCEPT
The above seems to fix it, and I'm sure I can narrow it down to a port by port basis. Any one know how to ensure that the docker bridge can only talk with the host it's bound to via iptables? I believe in the current setup if the container gets owned it'll have carte blanche to make outgoing requests, no?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Setting output to a drop policy seems excessive to me, but I I suppose there's good reasons to do it. But my suggestion is to not worry about it. :v:

Be aware that docker also sets up some masquerade rules in the nat table, which aren't printed with 'iptables -l'. If you specify -t nat they'll show up and those rules are the ones that allow containers to talk to the outside world. Delete those rules and the containers will be locked down pretty tight (or configure docker to not modify iptables).

Just don't do it for docker0, as you'll run into problems pulling images. It's good practice to run containers on a bridge you create.

If you stop docker from messing with iptables note it also sets up rules inside containers (again in the nat table) to allow the internal dns to function. I can't remember if that breaks when docker stops messing with iptables.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

apropos man posted:

gently caress, thank you for posting this. Thought weird docker issues I've been having were from running it in a VM or memory related, but just restarting networking appears to fix it.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

THF13 posted:

gently caress, thank you for posting this. Thought weird docker issues I've been having were from running it in a VM or memory related, but just restarting networking appears to fix it.

Merry loving Christmas! :-)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Whats the most modern, nicest, prettiest GUI for linux these days?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

redeyes posted:

CLI

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I've embraced LXDE over the last few years, but that's primarily for it NOT trying to be the nicest, prettiest, or most modern - it's pretty much Win95 except stable & fast. Like, really fast. Unfortunately, this means I have no idea what any of the modern/heavyweight DE's are like any more, so I can't be much help there.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

redeyes posted:

Anything that requires a GUI should be run via Xming/Xquartz on your Windows/MacOS daily driver.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

redeyes posted:

No customization: Elementary
Too much customization: Something with KDE

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

redeyes posted:

Pop!_OS and Elementary OS both cater to Linux beginners and have decent reputations
https://itsfoss.com/pop-os-linux-review/
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/a-tour-of-elementary-os-perhaps-the-linux-worlds-best-hope-for-the-mainstream/

On the KDE side people seem to like Plasma.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"

redeyes posted:

I quite like KDE Plasma 5. I got tired of GNOME's oversimplified interface and was pleased with Plasma's polish and customizability.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

redeyes posted:

Android. :smugdroid:

(Serious answer: I still like Cinnamon.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redeyes posted:

I'll add another vote for KDE 5 - I spend the vast majority of my computer time at home on a KDE 5 desktop.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
KDE 5, I run it as my main deskstop at home. It works really well, has good multimonitor support, supports different wallpapers and slideshow ( I know ) and has a good dark theme.

The one thing I like is that it doesn't have this "Launcher" concept which I can't stand, just a regular taskbar with your open windows and a "start" button.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 29, 2018

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

KDE on workstations; xfce on lightweight systems.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

KDE 5 here too. I ran GNOME for a couple of years and then switched to the Fedora KDE spin as daily desktop.

I hate the way it pops up with a wizard in the notification area when you plug a USB stick in, and I can't work out how to turn it off. When I insert a drive I want to administer it from the terminal.

Apart from that one thing, KDE is good.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm also using KDE5 as my daily driver and am quite happy with it. I would not generally recommend the Wayland version unless the X11 version has serious issues for you, though, it still has some very rough edges.

apropos man posted:

I hate the way it pops up with a wizard in the notification area when you plug a USB stick in, and I can't work out how to turn it off. When I insert a drive I want to administer it from the terminal.

Right-click the little USB stick icon in the systray, "device notifier settings", untick "open popup when a new device is plugged in".

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

ToxicFrog posted:

Right-click the little USB stick icon in the systray, "device notifier settings", untick "open popup when a new device is plugged in".

Thanks! Been bugging me for months. I even Googled it a few weeks ago. Durr!

tjones
May 13, 2005
I like the new KDE a lot and have kept neon as a backup distro for over a year now. I normally don't prefer GUIs and daily drive a tiling window manager.

It isn't without its problems. Dolphin had a file move bug that is now reported as fixed. I've never trusted it and used the command line instead.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=162211

Edit: Actually, looks like the silent fail may still be there. Theres another ticket request if you follow the comments.

tjones fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 29, 2018

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

redeyes posted:

I’ve been using Solus for the better part of a year and I really like it. Sometime it’s annoying because it doesn’t have some random package available because there’s no snap and no one has take then time to build it themselves and add it to the repo, but as a desktop experience I’ve found it to be the smoothest and most bug free.

I’ve also used Gnome 3 and KDE with Fedora and both had problems and bugs. KDE had wonderful options for customization but I found that their theming was kind of buggy. I’d have random text in the UI be black on navy while everything else was white, or a different font, or too small/big. Sometimes I’d be able to track down the random option that controlled that one specific thing and fix it, but it annoyed me enough that I decided to try Solus out.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I was using Solus for a while, too. It’s pretty good, and I liked Budgie Desktop a fair bit. Their main dev sort of ghosted the project which gives me some misgivings about its future. For now I’m back on a pretty stock Ubuntu 18.04/10 and I’m liking it just fine too.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
There is a spin of Ubuntu with budgie and of course arch has it. It’s my preferred DE now.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

fourwood posted:

I was using Solus for a while, too. It’s pretty good, and I liked Budgie Desktop a fair bit. Their main dev sort of ghosted the project which gives me some misgivings about its future. For now I’m back on a pretty stock Ubuntu 18.04/10 and I’m liking it just fine too.

I just installed Solus because I've been distro hopping between Fedora with KDE, Gnome 3 and Ubuntu. I still have a couple of weeks before classes start up again and as long as I can get Eclipse or Netbeans running ok on this, I should be good to go.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Brownie posted:

I’ve been using Solus for the better part of a year and I really like it. Sometime it’s annoying because it doesn’t have some random package available because there’s no snap and no one has take then time to build it themselves and add it to the repo, but as a desktop experience I’ve found it to be the smoothest and most bug free.

I’ve also used Gnome 3 and KDE with Fedora and both had problems and bugs. KDE had wonderful options for customization but I found that their theming was kind of buggy. I’d have random text in the UI be black on navy while everything else was white, or a different font, or too small/big. Sometimes I’d be able to track down the random option that controlled that one specific thing and fix it, but it annoyed me enough that I decided to try Solus out.

With the dark theme it is usually some GTK stuff that is wonky. SQLite studio has that problem, but you can change the colours within the application. I haven't come across anything that is downright unusable.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I put Kubuntu on my "play around with Linux" laptop and I like plasma a lot, it's fast and looks nice. Only problem is this weird glitch where sometimes a part of the top left corner of a window sticks around overlayed on top of everything else

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I liked KDE but it behaves erratically on my work computer (kubuntu 16.04 lts I think). Sometimes pressing alt+f1 to open the applications menu doesn't work and you have to hit it one or two more times. Most recently it's started treating some keyboard inputs as shortcuts, kind of like windows with sticky keys on. It completely refuses to let me type the 's' key, and 'q' causes the activities pane to open up. :shrug:

I don't care too much because I won't be using that computer for much longer but the general jankiness of the experience has kind of soured me on KDE.

E: I use fedora with gnome on my Linux VM at home and it's very solid. All I had to do was use gnome tweak tool to change a few things. Moderately interested in trying Solus but I worry about package availability

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 30, 2018

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Xubuntu with i3wm. I use these configs and it looks good enough for me - https://github.com/addy-dclxvi/i3-starterpack

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

Xubuntu with i3wm. I use these configs and it looks good enough for me - https://github.com/addy-dclxvi/i3-starterpack
IMHO it's easier to just use xfce stuff for everything including xfsettingsd so you can just use the xfce control panel. It all works really well with i3.

Edit: I also don't really see the point of using a compositor with a tiling window manager so I don't bother but I'm sure there are reasons why some people would want it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 30, 2018

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have been using Kde/Plasma since I got too annoyed with enlightenment about a year ago, and it has probably the best balance between flashy and useful and similarly configurable and usable out of the box.
I recently tried xfce on manjaro for my laptop and it felt basically like a lightweight version of kde. Though a DE without a cube effect clearly isn't flashy in any meaningful way.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

I liked KDE but it behaves erratically on my work computer (kubuntu 16.04 lts I think). Sometimes pressing alt+f1 to open the applications menu doesn't work and you have to hit it one or two more times. Most recently it's started treating some keyboard inputs as shortcuts, kind of like windows with sticky keys on. It completely refuses to let me type the 's' key, and 'q' causes the activities pane to open up. :shrug:

Umm. Are you sure there isn't something physically wrong with your keyboard? 'KDE won't let me type the letter S' would be the sort of bug a lot of people would notice, you know.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

feedmegin posted:

Umm. Are you sure there isn't something physically wrong with your keyboard? 'KDE won't let me type the letter S' would be the sort of bug a lot of people would notice, you know.

YKBPOS

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

feedmegin posted:

100% sure, it's the first thing I thought of. Tried the keyboard on Windows and it was fine, tried another keyboard on the KDE machine, same results. Shift+s works though, so you can type lowercase if you caps lock and then shift+s. Absolutely no idea how this even happens. Pretty sure the keys also work fine under tty1, it's just the X/KDE environment that's borked somehow

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Do you accidentally have a keybind for S with no modifiers?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

taqueso posted:

Do you accidentally have a keybind for S with no modifiers?

It's possible, since Q with no modifiers opens the Activities panel now, I'll have to check it on Monday.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Your keyboard's got the Meta/Super/Windows key in a held state. Super+Q is activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

redeyes posted:

KDE/Plasma both on my work and my home computer. Been using KDE since gnome 3 appeared in Fedora since i didn't trust MATE guys to be able to keep the lights on. I was wrong about MATE but KDE has everything that i need, including the most important thing: DBus action invoker shortcut (which I use to switch between headphones/speakers).