Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

My wife and I are cutting the cord and we've chosen to go with Philo. It's a great package and seems to work well but lacks the E! and Bravo channels which you need for terrible reality shows like the Kardashians and whatever else there is.

We're going to see how it works with waiting for them to get to Hulu. For ones that don't or take too long we may have to buy individual episodes; I think it will still be an overall savings.

Update: Hulu is kinda garbage and while there are still sites on the internet that say they get episodes one day later they do not. They get episodes when the next season starts to air.

However mother-in-law was willing to share her DirecTV NOW log on so wife will be able to enjoy the terrible reality shows through apps.

Said mother-in-law is really enjoying the combination of Fire TV Stick 4K and DirecTV NOW that I set her up with 2 months ago so I am kinda terrified that AT&T is going to follow through with their vow to make DirecTV NOW expensive and lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rastor posted:

Update: Hulu is kinda garbage and while there are still sites on the internet that say they get episodes one day later they do not. They get episodes when the next season starts to air.

This is dependent on the show. There are a bunch that are day-after current.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

This is the best deal. The ultra is AWESOME. I'm probably gonna get one for my parents, too. Sadly, my dad is married to his Jadoo for South Asian tv and cricket streams. There's nothing else that can get those, though it's actually not that bad a device.

Sling overs some pretty robust and specific international packages that you might want to check out. I know they have one or two cricket channels as well.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Got a shield tv today and have been getting all my apps installed but I can't find one for directnow. Do I need to sideload it? I thought these things had basically the whole play store available but there's a ton of stuff I can't find through searching.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

Got a shield tv today and have been getting all my apps installed but I can't find one for directnow. Do I need to sideload it? I thought these things had basically the whole play store available but there's a ton of stuff I can't find through searching.

AFAIK, DirectTV NOW is not available for Android TV (which is what ShieldTV is considered). Just FireTV and aTV (maybe Roku?)

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well that blows. I know I can Chromecast to it but so far I get now sound when doing that, so I guess I still need to keep my Apple TV for DirecTVnow.

Edit: was able to sideload it and so far it works great, so much faster than my old fire stick! Plex has been much nicer too so far. There are still a few apps that don't seem to be available through the play store but I think I have most of my staples. I had this old hand held media keyboard laying around and tried it on the Shield and it works perfectly.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 15, 2018

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
Anyone know how someone in America go about getting live UK tv channels? Any kind of live tv services equivalent to Hulu live TV or Sling for the UK? Maybe I could use something like that and then a VPN for a mini android tv box to stream it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Awful CompSloth posted:

Anyone know how someone in America go about getting live UK tv channels? Any kind of live tv services equivalent to Hulu live TV or Sling for the UK? Maybe I could use something like that and then a VPN for a mini android tv box to stream it.

I don't know about live TV, but I've heard BritBox mentioned recently for on-demand if that's of any interest.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

astral posted:

I don't know about live TV, but I've heard BritBox mentioned recently for on-demand if that's of any interest.

Thanks for the the suggestion but I'm looking for Live TV stuff I think. What about Kodi? I've seen the tvcatchup app for it, and I guess you could use a VPN with it, I've just never used Kodi and I'm not familiar with how it works.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TVCatchup works in the browser in the US and they also advertise another site they work with specifically for out of UK people to get programming for a small fee.

Also can use a DNS service (I use smartdnsproxy.com) you can usually use things like iPlayer, ITV Player, 4 etc without too much of an issue.

Obviously all these services are primed to provide streams within the UK so aren’t always flawless quality to the US, but are generally fine. There’s another lot who do a subscription too, but lock you into buying their set top box at like $100 which is a bit much if you just want to try it (if it was a legit service that wouldn’t be so bad, but that’s never going to exist. Loopholes and piracy is all you can expect).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Awful CompSloth posted:

Thanks for the the suggestion but I'm looking for Live TV stuff I think. What about Kodi? I've seen the tvcatchup app for it, and I guess you could use a VPN with it, I've just never used Kodi and I'm not familiar with how it works.

UKTV on Roku. It's $4.99/month.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hey Goons,

I was wondering if you could help me figure this out. I'm currently paying $196/mo with FIOS and I've decided that's loving insane. So I'd like to see what my options are with respect to cutting the cord. I currently own a Chromecast and FireTV Stick, and live within 30 miles of Washington, DC so I suspect a lot of local channels are available. I have a few questions:

1. Do I need anything beyond the Chromecast and FireTV? A lot of folks suggest a Roku? What's the benefit?

2. What services do people prefer? I see a lot about Hulu, YouTubeTV, DirectTVNow, etc. What are the benefits? We currently get HBO Now and Netflix.

3. My biggest interest would be NFL games. What services are available for those?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

3. My biggest interest would be NFL games. What services are available for those?

If they carry your locals then Sling since it also has RedZone (I know you're a fantasy football guy so that's probably really important to you).

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s another lot who do a subscription too, but lock you into buying their set top box at like $100 which is a bit much if you just want to try it (if it was a legit service that wouldn’t be so bad, but that’s never going to exist. Loopholes and piracy is all you can expect).

There are (less than legal) IPTV subscriptions out there if you look around hard enough that you can play on IPTV players, including Kodi without also buying their box, although you take the risk of the service going down at anytime given, you know, them being less than legal. Probably not a great idea to use your real name/details when signing up for them either.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Matt Zerella posted:

If they carry your locals then Sling since it also has RedZone (I know you're a fantasy football guy so that's probably really important to you).

Yup. Definitely a priority.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I stick with DirecTV Now because I like getting HBO For 5$. You get 2 streams with Sling so I just split a few months with another guy from my fantasy league and we both use it for red zone. Then I cancel it week 17 (just did it today).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you live in your team's market? DirecTV Now will get you Fox Sports Go which will cover NFC games and Thursday Night Football. You also get ESPN for MNF, and NBC Sports for SNF. If your team (and you're in their market) is AFC, you might want to get CBS' streaming service so you get those games.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What streaming device do you recommend? Is there a DVR option for local TV?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you live in your team's market? DirecTV Now will get you Fox Sports Go which will cover NFC games and Thursday Night Football. You also get ESPN for MNF, and NBC Sports for SNF. If your team (and you're in their market) is AFC, you might want to get CBS' streaming service so you get those games.

Yeah I live near DC. Of course Washington football being what it is losing out on local games might not be a huge loss...

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 30, 2018

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah I live near DC. Of course Washington football being what it is losing out on local games might not be a huge loss...

YoutubeTV does local channels and has unlimited DVR. Chrome cast should work with it but Fire TV won’t.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Device? All I have is an Apple TV so I can't really speak for others. The ATV is pretty easy to use and whatever service you want to use will have an app 99% of the time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just FYI last I checked the DirecTV Now DVR does not work on Chromecast.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

One one hand, YoutubeTV has always been a lot more true-to-live for me than any other service. Everything else seems to be a minute or so behind, and it’s always extremely cool to have text messages spoil two plays ahead for you.

On the other hand, it doesn’t have Red Zone, which is the best.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

tk posted:

One one hand, YoutubeTV has always been a lot more true-to-live for me than any other service. Everything else seems to be a minute or so behind, and it’s always extremely cool to have text messages spoil two plays ahead for you.

On the other hand, it doesn’t have Red Zone, which is the best.

DTVNOW seems to be ~45 seconds behind cable TV. I'll take it; but that means if you're one of those people who likes to hop on twitter during a game you could have a play potentially spoiled.

Less of an issue during hockey since it's more free-flowing, but football...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

DTVNOW seems to be ~45 seconds behind cable TV. I'll take it; but that means if you're one of those people who likes to hop on twitter during a game you could have a play potentially spoiled.

That's probably as good as it will ever get, given the architecture of the service. Video gets captured in short segments, encoded, then sent to a CDN, which then replicates it to a bazillion edge hosts that viewers download from.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

That's probably as good as it will ever get, given the architecture of the service. Video gets captured in short segments, encoded, then sent to a CDN, which then replicates it to a bazillion edge hosts that viewers download from.

Amazon have allegedly got the lag down to ~10 seconds for their Prime NFL streams. Not every provider has the resources that Amazon has, but there does seem to be room for improvement.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's diminishing returns there. Even cable is delayed. They remux the signal to shape bandwidth and then the DVR you have likely buffers a few seconds too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bull3964 posted:

There's diminishing returns there. Even cable is delayed. They remux the signal to shape bandwidth and then the DVR you have likely buffers a few seconds too.

Yeah, I ended up going back to cable (offered a cheaper bundle for tv/internet than internet + PS Vue). I have an HD HomeRun Prime with cable card, but also still have HD HomeRun Connect hooked up to my HD Antenna. Broadcast OTA is usually a couple seconds ahead of broadcast cable.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Just popping in to suggest trying an antenna for your locals

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm looking into finally signing up for a VPN but I'm curious how it works in actual use. I mostly want it to try and spoof whatever region to get out of market games and content, but I'm not sure how I actually use it.

When you open the app and connect to whatever server does all the data from every other app automatically go through the VPN app and then through their servers? How do the other apps I use know to use the VPN connection rather than my normal internet connection?

Maybe I'm overthinking it. Most places I've looked online about using a VPN just say "fire up the app, connect to a server" without talking at all about how other apps interact with the VPN at all. I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I far prefer using DNS based services whenever possible just because I don’t really want all my traffic routing through other places. Works for GamePass (or did when I last used it at least) as well as things like iPlayer, All4 etc.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Huh, didn't know that was an option. Do vpns or dns services like you're talking about work with think like DTVN? Or do they stick with whatever my billing zip code is? I know I've traveled a bit since I signed up for DTVN but don't remember if it kept my homes local channels or switched over to the ones local to whatever hotel I was at.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

In my experience when traveling, DTVN uses your billing address, and if you login from elsewhere you get no locals at all. Not your home locals, and not the locals for wherever you are, either.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think to get around that you’d probably have to be running a VPN server at your home address, but I wouldn’t guarantee that would work. I’m pretty sure even things like HDHomeRun get funny about sending a signal if it has to bounce too much (I was looking to see if I could share my HDHR with a friend and abroad out of curiosity and it seemed way trickier than imagined. Plex might be the only way to do it easily).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just was traveling for Christmas and noticed I had channels from where I was traveling in my DTVN guide when I got back. They didn't work and I had to force quit the app to get it to reload my locals. It seems to attempt to give you channels based on where you are.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I think to get around that you’d probably have to be running a VPN server at your home address, but I wouldn’t guarantee that would work. I’m pretty sure even things like HDHomeRun get funny about sending a signal if it has to bounce too much (I was looking to see if I could share my HDHR with a friend and abroad out of curiosity and it seemed way trickier than imagined. Plex might be the only way to do it easily).

I've been able to watch DTVN over the web on my laptop through a VPN without a problem (in fact it was the only way to watch when traveling internationally, as they block access from outside the US). An app on a device is going to use the built in location services and override whatever your geo-IP stuff says, though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

HD HomeRun can use a LOT of bandwidth since it doesn't do any additional compression to the video.

Best bet is to have a PlexPass (for LiveTV and Remote) and then limit the bandwidth. I have been able to successfully watch my locals streamed from my HD HomeRun Connect w/CableCard, but I think I had to drop the stream to 8Mbps.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

EL BROMANCE posted:

I far prefer using DNS based services whenever possible just because I don’t really want all my traffic routing through other places. Works for GamePass (or did when I last used it at least) as well as things like iPlayer, All4 etc.

I had to go to NordVPN this year to use GamePass, when previously, AdFreeTime worked. I couldn't get any of the other DNS services that I tried to work with it either. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I found before when things stopped working, it just took a bit of time for them to reconfigure things at their end. Maybe that’s over now, which is a shame. I mainly used to use it when I was in the UK and I wanted to watch blacked out games that Sky had the rights to.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Croatoan posted:

I bought my parents a fire stick and they don't use it. I borrow their cable log on so I basically have all their channels through apps. They're dumb. When I logged in I saw that they literally are paying $30 extra per month to have channels they don't use. They have a supersized "latino extra package" but they do not speak spanish. I'm 100% positive they called AT&T and said "I want the biggest package you have with ALL the channels" and the rep was like "Will do, old people". I tried to explain to them once and they completely disregarded me.

Personal note, I've since disowned them over some pretty hosed up abusive poo poo and haven't spoken to them in about a year. I still have that password they haven't changed since 2007 and technically they never told me I couldn't use it anymore so gently caress you, asshats, thanks for the TV.

:yikes:

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Sling overs some pretty robust and specific international packages that you might want to check out. I know they have one or two cricket channels as well.

Yeah, I would try that for them but my dad is pushing 80 and it took him long enough to figure out how to work Jadoo, so I dunno how well that will work out. They save their Pakistani soap operas on it to watch after dinner and whatnot, too. Being old and retired is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

EL BROMANCE posted:

I found before when things stopped working, it just took a bit of time for them to reconfigure things at their end. Maybe that’s over now, which is a shame. I mainly used to use it when I was in the UK and I wanted to watch blacked out games that Sky had the rights to.

Is that referring to GamePass Europe? That's a different service and could have different results, as I tried to point out to one of the DNS services that tried to help me get their service to work.