Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Who knew Weird Al did so many terrible, offensive songs in the 90s?!

Baby I don’t love you and I never really did but you got me through my parents’ “accidental” CO poisoning was rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I don't think I've seen it since I was a kid, but I was under the impression that Mickey's Christmas Carol was something Disney made in, like, the '50s. It came out in 1983. I thought it was the whole reason why Scrooge McDuck was called Scrooge to begin with, but the character predates it by almost 40 years.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rollersnake posted:

I don't think I've seen it since I was a kid, but I was under the impression that Mickey's Christmas Carol was something Disney made in, like, the '50s. It came out in 1983. I thought it was the whole reason why Scrooge McDuck was called Scrooge to begin with, but the character predates it by almost 40 years.

uh

actually Scrooge was a comic character

From uh a while back

it predates duck tales

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
So Scrooge McDuck was created in the 40's, based on the character from Dicken's novel but not a direct adaptation, then doesn't portray his namesake until 1983. :psyboom:
How have I never made this connection before? Wow.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

syscall girl posted:

uh

actually Scrooge was a comic character

From uh a while back

it predates duck tales

Oh, I know. I wasn't too confused about how old Scrooge McDuck is, but by how recent Mickey's Christmas Carol is. I'd just always assumed the Ebenezer Scrooge character from that was so popular he became Scrooge McDuck and then got his own comics, or something like that. It was the first thing I saw Scrooge McDuck in, one of the first Disney cartoons I saw altogether, and I was probably still a child the last time I watched the whole thing.

I also misremembered Mickey's Christmas Carol as being feature-length, and a much bigger deal in the Disney canon than it is—it's 26 minutes long and got mixed reviews.

Ommin posted:

So Scrooge McDuck was created in the 40's, based on the character from Dicken's novel but not a direct adaptation, then doesn't portray his namesake until 1983. :psyboom:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Dec 27, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ommin posted:

Scrooge's first appearance was a 1947 Donald Duck comic where he invites Donald and his nephews to stay at his cabin in the woods for Christmas but plans to play a mean prank on them because he hates Christmas. It wasn't a direct adaptation of Dickens but he was still a miserly old oval office treating people like poo poo at Christmas just because he could but in the end he learns his lesson and has a change of heart.

Here's the first few pages:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Apparently, when most peopke hear “DDR” they think of a popular dancing game and not the German Democratic Republic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Maybe most people born after 1990 outside of Eurasia

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, I don't think any Asians have ever even played DDR.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Apparently, when most peopke hear “DDR” they think of a popular dancing game and not the German Democratic Republic.

That or double data rate ram.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, I don't think any Asians have ever even played DDR.

Not sure but I think Eurasia includes Asia

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Krankenstyle posted:

Eurasia ends at the rhine

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Krankenstyle posted:

Wild if true.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
What else does it include? Europe?! That's crazy talk.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Cluedo is a portmanteau of Clue and Ludo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

Cluedo is a portmanteau of Clue and Ludo.

Monopoly is a portmanteau of mono and poly :eyepop:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

A Monopoly game can be over in <45 minutes if you play it by the rules. The reason it drags on for days is because of idiots who insist on using dumb house rules because they can't stand losing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sweevo posted:

A Monopoly game can be over in <45 minutes if you play it by the rules. The reason it drags on for days is because of idiots who insist on using dumb house rules because they can't stand losing.

Also the original game was designed to show how hosed up rent-seeking is. Most house rules counteract that by introducing various kinds of subsidies for the poorest landlords

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The name of the band Buckcherry is a spoonerism of Chuck Berry.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

They also like to film people in the rathboom

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Your cousin, Barvin Merry!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/LipBitinANNAmal/status/1078840770864529408

Today years old

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nooooooooooo, what?!

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

:same:

Although it's been years since it has been anything other than grinders around here so it doesn't help now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The glass bumps are so it doesn't slide around and fall over, like literally all other things that are served in glass containers

Good lord.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
My glass cups, dishware, and glass serving dishes (including ramekins) are all smooth. Not my shakers tho.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Krankenstyle posted:

dude you said only people outside of Eurasia would know dance dance revolution, therefore asians wouldn't know it so what is this comeback supposed to be arguing? I'm confused about your point

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

InediblePenguin posted:

dude you said only people outside of Eurasia would know dance dance revolution, therefore asians wouldn't know it so what is this comeback supposed to be arguing? I'm confused about your point

oh right, my bad lol

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You can filter threads by icon on these forums. I'd never clicked on that bar before!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Picnic Princess posted:

You can filter threads by icon on these forums. I'd never clicked on that bar before!

well poo poo

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

I remember a mod once talking about how it's important as people actually use that to filter what threads they read. It seemed like such a strange concept given the arbitrary nature of thread icon choices.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

jobson groeth posted:

I remember a mod once talking about how it's important as people actually use that to filter what threads they read. It seemed like such a strange concept given the arbitrary nature of thread icon choices.

Use that feature to filter Photoshop threads since there is no Photoshop Friday anymore.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Man, I was thought this would a game changer for SA-Mart, but it appears to only sort by the usual tags, not the selling vs. buying. I'm always on the lookout for the rare buying tags as I like to try my hand at some of "make me some art" or "I need a quick photoshop job" commissions for quick scratch.

Still cool, though.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/lonelygodmusic/status/1079453146362114048

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Somehow having both songs simultaneously stuck in my head, I realized tonight that "Warpigs" by Black Sabbath can be sung to the tune of "25 Or 6 To 4" by Chicago.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Eurasia ends at the rhine

Well loving fine I vote for Oceania

Get ready for drop bears bitches

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Somehow having both songs simultaneously stuck in my head, I realized tonight that "Warpigs" by Black Sabbath can be sung to the tune of "25 Or 6 To 4" by Chicago.

https://youtu.be/3Cbk8f7f5OI

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Purple Haze but with the lyrics of Green Acres has always been a fave of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Swing Low Gilligans Island