Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Manila a coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Gia's Snatch Game character was upsetting tbh. Yeah, she's also Asian- but Japanese people in general don't exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to considering other Asian nationalities to be, you know, people. So it was pretty loaded. I don't think she meant it to be that way, don't get me wrong, but is there really no other character she could have done?

I don't buy these queens who come in and go, 'Oh, I don't know what I'm going to do for Snatch Game." GEE, TOO BAD YOU COULDN'T HAVE PREDICTED HAVING TO DO THIS. :confused:

alf_pogs posted:

same tbh. i was expecting more of monet and monique; they really had to step it up but they feel like they're treading water.

This is why I think it was a mistake to bring them back on so quickly after Season 10. I feel like the contestants who haven't been on in a while are greeted with more enthusiasm by the fanbase, have generally had time to develop and improve their performances and looks, and are probably psychologically healthier.

Jr. posted:

I'm starting to think Latrice has straight-up PTSD from her season 4 snatch game, girl was shook so hard it made her performance boring.

On Gia's elimination, I can't imagine as a straight cis woman how tough it is to be trans on a national stage in a drag competition, and her talk with Manila was probably the first time she actually seemed real about it. I kinda wish that discussion happened sooner, because it went a long way toward humanizing her behavior--not excusing it, but at least giving it context outside of "being mean because that's her character this season".

I kind of thought Gia was using her genuine struggle and feelings in a very calculated way. Like, I'm the victim, please pity me and don't send me home...she should have done that from the beginning. But, like you, I cannot imagine what her experiences have been like and shouldn't judge. She just seemed a bit fake in that moment; I'm probably projecting my dislike.

And Latrice needs to stop yelling about professionalism and accept that a bit part of BEING a professional performer is being able to deal with this kind of fuckery.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Gia's Snatch Game character was upsetting tbh. Yeah, she's also Asian- but Japanese people in general don't exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to considering other Asian nationalities to be, you know, people. So it was pretty loaded. I don't think she meant it to be that way, don't get me wrong, but is there really no other character she could have done?

there was one but that conniving trinity stole it!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
When Manila has to sit you down and tell you your Asian jokes are offensive and lazy you gotta really take a step back and reassess your life

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

there was one but that conniving trinity stole it!

I'm really disappointed because Gia's last attempt at a Kardashian impression went, like, sooooo well.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

honestly, my opinion of gia is that she's kind of ... not the smartest. and unfortunately she's also got a tendency to mistake what she's saying as witty, cute back-and-forth but it just comes off mean. that's not just based on RPDR but other appearances as well. some of her stuff to do with victim-blaming really got under my skin.

that aside, i could have had a whole episode of Manila getting to know her and getting more of her perspective, as well as confronting some of the insecurities. that was as real as she's ever been.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

alf_pogs posted:

seriously latrice drove me crazy. the pro move would have been to absolutely shut down gia's nonsense while staying in character, and i would have thought latrice had been doing this long enough to not get so rattled. i wanna see her dominate! maybe next week.

The thing is, she wouldn't have.

VH1 posted this promo video (below) of all the queens in character. Manilla and Trinity were still really funny. Monet, Gia, and Latrice were still really not funny. What's funny about Della Reese? Maybe someone can find it, but Latrice couldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10tELbEJuRo

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Watching e3 now, Latrice's laugh is really just the best thing :3:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Valentina working those drinks :perfect:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Manila always just seems to have so much fun and it makes her really enjoyable to watch

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

She was absolutely giddy at the potential to eliminate a strong foe. I want to see that more on All Stars!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I thought that Snatch Game was one of the weakest the show has had, tbh.

Same. Manila and Trinity were top two but even they were weak. Ross saying Trinity's was the best Snatch Game ever is insane.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Congratulations to Trinity The Tuck Taylor on being the very first person to successfully make fun of Caitlyn Jenner without being transphobic. She did what Dave and Norm could not. She was great.

Latrice seems a little lost to me. Her personality is luminous but her runways aside from last week haven't been great and she didn't have a plan for snatch game.

I can empathize with Gia feeling lost in her identity but it doesn't excuse just how nasty and ignorant she is. I'm not sad to see her gone and it was masterful the way the other queens steered her into a snatch game character that would show all her worst tendencies.

Valentina is a mess and I love it.

Trinity is the clear front runner for me. Without the fake Eureka drama she just soars.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
I was impressed with Naomi’s Wendy Williams. When she passed out on her way off stage I was crying with laughter. She’s definitely a dark horse this season.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

jit bull transpile posted:

Trinity is the clear front runner for me. Without the fake Eureka drama she just soars.

:yeah:

Eureka breaking her knee was the best thing that could have happened for Trinity.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

:yeah:

Eureka breaking her knee was the best thing that could have happened for Trinity.

one of the worst things to happen for season 10 though

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I love Valentina, she's super extra and telenovela theatrical without being bitchy, mean, or annoying.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Trinity is the best and I ten hundred percent wish she was my friend!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

one of the worst things to happen for season 10 though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stabitha posted:

I was impressed with Naomi’s Wendy Williams. When she passed out on her way off stage I was crying with laughter. She’s definitely a dark horse this season.

It was good but she missed giving r Kelly a sloppy blowjob

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I swear I felt like my hair was going to turn white and fall out as I had to sit through Gia play a middle aged Cambodian immigrant by starting with konnichiwa and then saying everything but "me rove you rong time", thank god for Manila

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Eej posted:

Gia play a middle aged Cambodian immigrant by starting with konnichiwa

I don’t know who she was playing or their original nationality but despite that I think I felt this in my bones, it was the most awkward moment in recent memory on this show

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Eej posted:

I swear I felt like my hair was going to turn white and fall out as I had to sit through Gia play a middle aged Cambodian immigrant by starting with konnichiwa and then saying everything but "me rove you rong time", thank god for Manila

It's like a yahtzee for a trans Asian drag queen to be racist, homophobic, and transphobic all in one go. I was impressed with her performance tbh. Record setting.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I think I'd rather watch a Manila Luzon lipsync than 90% of anything else ever.

Trinity just keeps getting better.

Next week looks like it's gonna be a total shitshow and I can't wait.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm Japanese-American and seeing the only JA contestant on RPDR (ever?) go full Sixteen Candles was disappointing.

I loved Manila's lipsync, the emotion she put into just the first couple of seconds was really special

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah she won in the first 5 seconds. Also early season 'going and standing in front of the other girl' realness abound. Trinity did really good too, but Manila always tells a fuckin story and you can't take your eyes off her.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
At first I thought Trinity was deliberately throwing so that Manila could eliminate Valentina and leave her with a clean conscience, then I watched it again and realised her lip sync only looked bad next to Manila.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

beepsandboops posted:

I'm Japanese-American and seeing the only JA contestant on RPDR (ever?) go full Sixteen Candles was disappointing.

I loved Manila's lipsync, the emotion she put into just the first couple of seconds was really special

Is yuhua Japanese American? I just assumed bc her drag surname reminds me of Yamasaki whisky but pulling any personal info searching for drag names is pretty fruitless

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

manila has unmatched facial expressions when she's performing. she seriously is just great at mugging and gurning it up

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

alf_pogs posted:

manila has unmatched facial expressions when she's performing. she seriously is just great at mugging and gurning it up

I can’t freeze frame Manila during her stage performances without cackling maniacally it’s so loving good

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Is yuhua Japanese American? I just assumed bc her drag surname reminds me of Yamasaki whisky but pulling any personal info searching for drag names is pretty fruitless

Yuhua is Chinese. Her drag name is a reference to Japanese popstar Ayumi Hamasaki. :) Yuhua's rpdr wiki page says that she was born in Guangzhou and her given first name is Yuhua!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Apropos of nothing but we were talking about people who could murder a lip sync last night and that made me go back and rewatch some of Peppermint's performances and good god she's astonishing.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

reminds me of Yuhua’s exchange with Miz Cracker-
“You aren’t Japanese!”
“Well, you aren’t a woman!”

and the room cracking up at them both.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Yuhua is Chinese, she's an Ayumi Hamasaki stan tho. As we all should be

e:fb

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Apropos of nothing but we were talking about people who could murder a lip sync last night and that made me go back and rewatch some of Peppermint's performances and good god she's astonishing.
I think I said during her season that Peppermint is the most formidable lipsync assassin in herstory and I stand by it. She's consistently, reliably, effortlessly excellent and doesn't rely on gimmick or flash, just rock solid fundamentals. She's like the San Antonio Spurs of drag (not this season's Spurs so much I guess but it's still early).

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I can’t freeze frame Manila during her stage performances without cackling maniacally it’s so loving good

I would watch her lip sync for 48 straight hours and never be bored, she's the champ.

I also forgot to mention that Trinity's tweety-bird jacket thing needs to be in my life

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Jr. posted:

I also forgot to mention that Trinity's tweety-bird jacket thing needs to be in my life
Trinity putting on a yellow bird jacket to lipsync against Manilla was a power move but like they say, if you come at the king you best not miss.

Like I remember thinking in her season "oh man Trinity's a lowkey assassin" but up against Manilla she just looked flat.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'm just super glad we got a lipsync battle without leg splits or legdrops. I groan every time those pop up, because they're practically never appropriate to the song

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Trig Discipline posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blessed

I maintain that she only lost in the finale because her breast implants weren't fully healed and she had no mobility. I had mine done this year and let me tell ya implants that size in pecs that big fuckin hurt and they're rock hard and up in your neck for months before they drop into place and get soft.