Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It reminds me of Pokemon Sun and Moon where Lillie is like "Pokemon aren't tools you just stuff into balls!" and Lusamine's all "Yeah, I bet your friend there has plenty of Pokemon he's removed from his team when he doesn't have use for them anymore."

And, I mean, she's not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, well, if I didn't have to worry about IVs and Natures and leveling them back up I'd love to do what N did and just use pokemon from the routes I'm on then release them back into the wild, but life sucks and the little dudes get to chill out in my digital storage rack. :dealwithit:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It reminds me of Pokemon Sun and Moon where Lillie is like "Pokemon aren't tools you just stuff into balls!" and Lusamine's all "Yeah, I bet your friend there has plenty of Pokemon he's removed from his team when he doesn't have use for them anymore."

Of course, this is the same game that establishes that they go to a tropical paradise with playgrounds and spas when not in your party, so it kind of takes the sting out of it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blaze Dragon posted:

While it's good that the game pushes the friendship between man and Mon message because it's one of the most important of the franchise and it stops the mons from feeling like tools (as in another fangame I don't need to name), it does feel kind of hypocritical to criticize Taen for catching a Pokémon and using it when... That's how society in general works. He's absolutely right that it's common sense to chuck a ball to a legendary you want.

The point is that he's using Zekrom I guess but it doesn't really show why this is wrong, unlike baiting and catching Reshiram when it already had a trainer-Pokémon bond. Still, that's much better than reducing them to tools so I don't really have a complaint, it's just kind of funny gameplay and story segregation.
That reminds me of the anime's logic more than anything. Team Rocket will want to catch a wild Pokemon, but they want it for vague evil purposes, so that can't be allowed and Ash must stop them.

The series also likes to make a bigger deal out of using Pokemon for the right reasons when the Pokemon in question is a legendary. You're just...not supposed to think about it too hard when the player's the one catching a random legendary for shits and giggles.

A fangame could think about this more, but the weird disconnect has enough precident in the games and anime that I don't mind it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"What the heck? Using Sludge to blind Pikachu is playing dirty, Team Rocket!" - Ash

"Alright Pikachu, turn that Cubone's bone helmet around to blind it and then attack it while it can't see." - also Ash

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

All those pokemon i've forgotten about are vacationing on a tropical island actually.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Really The Perfection Cult is batting about 1 for 5 on actual evilness.

1) Gave the MC a chance to start their journey with a cool unique pokemon that they could have dumpstered but instead went through the trouble of rehoming.
2) Gave the MC a Mega Bracelet "For Data Gathering", making them about as evil as those prompts that ask you if you want to send the crash data to whatever.
3) Caught 2 legendaries. With pokeballs. Like everybody else does.
4) Offered an experimental treatment to a chronically ill old man and gave the acting next-of-kin the choice of whether or not to use it or not.
5) Beat up and captured Orion's Reshiram just because he didn't use a pokeball on him.
addendum and I guess Taen slapped Orion.

Basically if your name isn't Orion The Perfection Cult hasn't really wronged you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Geostomp posted:

Of course, this is the same game that establishes that they go to a tropical paradise with playgrounds and spas when not in your party, so it kind of takes the sting out of it.
It's better than a box, I'll give them that.

Oh, now I'm just imagining our buddies from the shame box sitting on the beach and sipping margaritas together. That's the most adorable thing. Miss? Could you maybe?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 30, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Geostomp posted:

The again, one part of the tropical paradise is literally "into the mine you go little children". Which makes me giggle every time I send a bunch in, that animation and the sound just make it seem like I've sent them to a prison mine, the whole concept is so absurd its hillarous.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ChrisBTY posted:

Really The Perfection Cult is batting about 1 for 5 on actual evilness.

1) Gave the MC a chance to start their journey with a cool unique pokemon that they could have dumpstered but instead went through the trouble of rehoming.
2) Gave the MC a Mega Bracelet "For Data Gathering", making them about as evil as those prompts that ask you if you want to send the crash data to whatever.
3) Caught 2 legendaries. With pokeballs. Like everybody else does.
4) Offered an experimental treatment to a chronically ill old man and gave the acting next-of-kin the choice of whether or not to use it or not.
5) Beat up and captured Orion's Reshiram just because he didn't use a pokeball on him.
addendum and I guess Taen slapped Orion.

Basically if your name isn't Orion The Perfection Cult hasn't really wronged you.

Considering how self-aware the writing has been in other areas (I mean, the Darkrai cult gets mocked in this very update in a way not too different from how we mocked them), I have to wonder how much of this may be on purpose and we're meant to see Taen as having good qualities rather than just being an evil villain being evil at all times. There's no way to justify him letting the starters be starters as evil, for instance.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Detective Cultleader McBlearyeyes, the one who actually gave us Dracolich, is a lot more morally ambiguous than Taen. Taen is just a jerk.

I'm not the only one who thinks he looks like a pixel sprite of Humphrey Bogart after a weekend bender, right? Right.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Yeah, funny enough, the Perfection cult isn't exactly a unified front, either in ends or means. The long-term goal is the same, but their short-term goals are all over the place. If anything, the Sky cult is better at being driven in the same direction, though that's primarily due to being controlled by a nearly-theocratic dictator. The Perfection cult seems like a bunch of bitter, jaded old men trying to fix what they think is wrong with the world, through a strange combination of politics, force, and misplaced charity, all while being dead wrong about most of their assumptions. (Hmm, that's oddly familiar.)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kikas posted:

The again, one part of the tropical paradise is literally "into the mine you go little children". Which makes me giggle every time I send a bunch in, that animation and the sound just make it seem like I've sent them to a prison mine, the whole concept is so absurd its hillarous.

“It’s not mining. It’s cave adventures. That just happen to involve some light digging through solid rock for treasure. The Rock, Ground and Steel guys love it, we swear!”

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I kinda miss the digging minigame from DPP

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Go into an abandoned mine and dig for semi-precious gems" is for-reals a tourist attraction here where I live, soooo...

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Late, but about Sun/Moon it's probable that it's mostly a kids thing because adults simply don't have the time or money for it. Like the one dude in the supermarket who used to be the old island champion(?) that laments the fact he has a mortgage.

Which, now that I think about it, makes the detective pikachu movie pretty realistic? I imagine that Pokemon related professions would be more desirable and pay more (and be harder to get into), meanwhile the boring desk jobs are left to unlucky fellows like the main character who have horribly banal lives in a world with magic animals.

Kinda makes me wonder if the Perfection cult would work better as a shady cooperation, since they seem to emphasize efficiency and logic rather than... I dunno, everything the other cults have done

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Assuming the Poke Dollar is similar to the Japanese Yen, in that it's roughly 1 USD = 100 Yen (ok, not really anymore), you can come out with 20 grand if you play your cards right in USUM (likely same with SuMo but you also don't have Rainbow Rocket). Tack on 200 from chucking Pyukumuku once a day, you could make a pretty penny.

Who knows though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Maybe the COL in the Pokeverse is wildly inflated to match how easy it is to get tons of money from beating people up with your magic animals.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blaze Dragon posted:

we're meant to see Taen as having good qualities rather than just being an evil villain being evil at all times. There's no way to justify him letting the starters be starters as evil, for instance.

Considering Perfection is the only Cult we've seen with two important people, and Taen being the one of those two who's been a dickhead that has been fought a couple times now, I don't think Taen is the one we're meant to think has good qualities here. If anything, he's here to act as an equivalent stand-in to the other Cult leaders, while Reukra is morally gray but generally pretty alright overall, and it seems likely that he's probably someone that Amy'll never have to fight. Like, as part of the main story as a means of foiling an evil plot at least. Not ruling out something like a post-game battle.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 30, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Haifisch posted:

Maybe the COL in the Pokeverse is wildly inflated to match how easy it is to get tons of money from beating people up with your magic animals.

To be fair, we don't know how much human food costs since our protagonists never have to go grocery shopping.

But I imagine human healthcare would have to be free since Pokemon healthcare is?

GoldGeno
Dec 26, 2018

Kitfox88 posted:

I kinda miss the digging minigame from DPP

Man, I forgot about that. It was a actually kinda-fun way to get fossils and stones and stuff. I never had anybody to mess around with the Secret Base stuff though, so all the poo poo with the spheres you constantly dug up was practically useless.

As for the Poke Pelago, my favourite slave-driving activity was getting my Pokemon to work in the berry fields. The game says my Magikarp enjoys trying to plant berries, so i'm just gonna roll with it. :shrug:

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

iospace posted:

Assuming the Poke Dollar is similar to the Japanese Yen, in that it's roughly 1 USD = 100 Yen (ok, not really anymore), you can come out with 20 grand if you play your cards right in USUM (likely same with SuMo but you also don't have Rainbow Rocket). Tack on 200 from chucking Pyukumuku once a day, you could make a pretty penny.

Who knows though.

The only other game I can think of where you can get a lot of money like in Sun/Moon was BW, where you could easily rack up a few grands very quickly by selling relic items, even more so if you're determined to pick up vases and... I think it was a crown? I need to play that game again tbh

Haifisch posted:

There's also moves that create money, like payday. And items like luck incense can double the amount you get from it too.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

You get put in charge of a shopping center and star in movies that both rake in absurd profits in Unova. Unfortunately, since you are a teenager without a lawyer or agent, you never see a dime from either venture.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lyumia posted:

There's also moves that create money, like payday. And items like luck incense can double the amount you get from it too.
I'm sure the conceit there is supposed to be that you steal it, or that your Pokemon sniffs it up in the form of lost change or something like. I don't think you literally make money out of thin air.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

iospace posted:

Who knows though.

Haven't finished USUM yet, but when you finish the UB quest with Looker in SuMo's postgame they give you a million pokebux as a reward.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lyumia posted:

Like the one dude in the supermarket who used to be the old island champion(?) that laments the fact he has a mortgage.

You're probably thinking of the Eevee sidequest.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

All this proves is that even in a magical world where kids go on adventures with their best friend super animals we cannot escape the evil of capitalism. :thermidor: Steven Stone for being the bourgeois.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

While it's good that the game pushes the friendship between man and Mon message because it's one of the most important of the franchise and it stops the mons from feeling like tools (as in another fangame I don't need to name), it does feel kind of hypocritical to criticize Taen for catching a Pokémon and using it when... That's how society in general works. He's absolutely right that it's common sense to chuck a ball to a legendary you want.

The point is that he's using Zekrom I guess but it doesn't really show why this is wrong, unlike baiting and catching Reshiram when it already had a trainer-Pokémon bond. Still, that's much better than reducing them to tools so I don't really have a complaint, it's just kind of funny gameplay and story segregation.

I think that there's always been an implication that Legendaries are closer to forces of nature. It's the difference between having a pet fox and having a hurricane as a pet.

Also, the Legendaries seem closer to sentience than most Pokemon. (Even the supposedly brilliant Alakazam)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Patter Song posted:

Also, the Legendaries seem closer to sentience than most Pokemon. (Even the supposedly brilliant Alakazam)

Depends how we're defining sentience. All pokemon fully understand human speech. Rotom, Zorua/Zoroark and various ghost types can use human speech (I think a psychic or two has as well at some point). Plenty of pokemon display 'human' emotions, from grief and temper tantrums to developing crushes, and are obviously aware enough to have their own identities. They can even make moral decisions, like AZ's pokemon choosing to leave him after what he did to resurrect it. Aside from the new-style tapus most legendaries seem closer to actual animals - I'm staying here in my den and want you humans to leave me the hell alone.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Raitzeno posted:

Yeah, funny enough, the Perfection cult isn't exactly a unified front, either in ends or means. The long-term goal is the same, but their short-term goals are all over the place. If anything, the Sky cult is better at being driven in the same direction, though that's primarily due to being controlled by a nearly-theocratic dictator. The Perfection cult seems like a bunch of bitter, jaded old men trying to fix what they think is wrong with the world, through a strange combination of politics, force, and misplaced charity, all while being dead wrong about most of their assumptions. (Hmm, that's oddly familiar.)

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that I'm pretty sure we've seen exactly 2 members of the perfection cult all game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

ChrisBTY posted:

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that I'm pretty sure we've seen exactly 2 members of the perfection cult all game.

To be fair there are only two members of Perfection. :v: Reukra either has incredibly stringent standards or is so absorbed in his research that he forgot to advertise.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm sure the conceit there is supposed to be that you steal it, or that your Pokemon sniffs it up in the form of lost change or something like. I don't think you literally make money out of thin air.

Pay Day literally creates money from thin air. There was an entire episode of the anime dedicated to it.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EP096

(Incidentally, the Japanese name for the attack is 'Coin for a Cat', according to Bulbapedia.)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DoubleNegative posted:

To be fair there are only two members of Perfection. :v: Reukra either has incredibly stringent standards or is so absorbed in his research that he forgot to advertise.

And their lair is another Cult's basement.
Pretty bad at being a cult or even an organization all things considered.
They now have more legendary pokemon than members though so there is that.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Black Robe posted:

Depends how we're defining sentience. All pokemon fully understand human speech. Rotom, Zorua/Zoroark and various ghost types can use human speech (I think a psychic or two has as well at some point). Plenty of pokemon display 'human' emotions, from grief and temper tantrums to developing crushes, and are obviously aware enough to have their own identities. They can even make moral decisions, like AZ's pokemon choosing to leave him after what he did to resurrect it. Aside from the new-style tapus most legendaries seem closer to actual animals - I'm staying here in my den and want you humans to leave me the hell alone.

Considering Mew Two's reaction to humanity in the 2000 movie, I wouldn't be too surprised if the legendaries thought exactly that.

GoldGeno
Dec 26, 2018

DoubleNegative posted:

well of course his standards are high; he clearly expects perfection of anybody willing to join the Perfection Cult. :shepface:

I do find it pretty amusing that the most successful cult of the bunch so far consists of two people taking the piss out of the other cults though. In a lesser fangame, these two would probably be really "cool" OC stand-ins.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

DoubleNegative posted:

Nope, he blew his advertising budget long ago

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vandar posted:

Pay Day literally creates money from thin air. There was an entire episode of the anime dedicated to it.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EP096

(Incidentally, the Japanese name for the attack is 'Coin for a Cat', according to Bulbapedia.)
...huh. Well, so much for that. What a weird setting.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

On Taen's first appearance he had two generic-scientist-looking people in tow:

So unless those two were just unpaid interns, the cult does in fact have four whole members :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Carpator Diei posted:

So unless those two were just unpaid interns

How can you posit this theory and not believe in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Out of curiosity I've stared playing Pokemon Dark Rising. Weird so far but nothing ludicrously grimdark - Arceus asks for help as he's weakening and the weather's getting weird, the hometown is rainy to reflect that, the rival's kind of nice, and the starters are very strange - Dratini, Bagon and Gible. The main character is also not a mute protagonist, so the trainers on the first route are all good friends of his that they share banter between before each fight, and it's pre-pokeball (I haven't got any yet) so everyone has 1 pokemon to throw out.