Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Beast Wars 2/Neo version was named "Powerhug".

He also had a friend named "Scissor Boy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

Retrax is amazing.
okay, okay, you got me. you've just been trolling this whole time, I get it.

I got retrax as a birthday gift as a kid because my aunt knew I loved bugs and also transformers and I didn't have the heart to tell her it's a garbage loving toy

it's the equivalent of someone knowing you like video games so they got you X-MEN for the NES(another bad gift I got)

The MSJ posted:

The Beast Wars 2/Neo version was named "Powerhug".
lol

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
retrax fuckin rules

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not trolling. Retrax is a great design and not every toy, especially one decades old, has to be a super articulate, hyper pose-able toy with amazing engineering.

He's a pillpug that can transform and ACTUALLY ROLL INTO A BALL

His recolor's name is Powerhug

He's a great toy in the same way that kids fell in love with Armada. Where everyone else saw a weird yellow not car with weird shoulders, kids saw a cool car guy whose helicopter buddy creates a bazooka for him to shoot people with.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also Beast Machines had lovely toys

I think we can all agree on that

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bud, I'm not gonna say no to the only fully articulated roly poly action figure. BW2 even redecoed the mold into a new character and turned the limited arm poseability into a fun core character trait. It's the same balancing between robot and alt-mode design as toyline has always done.

The franchise had 90s attitude, but it was also full of experimentation. Making actual realistic animals in the first place as opposed to the weird robot simulacra of biological life that G1 did was a real weird idea to begin with.

And not only did the animals look more realistic than ever, the robots looked more human than ever. I had a razorback that looked exactly like Erik the Red from X-men.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 31, 2018

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Magic posted:

Like a week ago, my Secret Santa gift came in from The Doctor!

The Coast Guard bot has like a dozen weapons and gear to affix on to his body and the dragon bot is basically a gold dragonzord and the KOBee is like a big brother to his legit counterpart (pountercart?)

They are all delightful. I am delighted! Thanks!

Edit:

I would like to weigh in on partsforming.

I loving love robots that put on pieces of their trailers or even other robots to be bigger robots. It’s so goddamn silly and over the top and it pleases me deeply. I understand wanting something to be sleek but partsforming has never really bothered me; things turning into other things is why I like this hobby.

That said, something I really dislike that never seems to get talked about is extra accessories for a bot. Like—I know we’re all in this for more plastic than we need, but I don’t need all these drat guns that have no storage on vehicle or robot mode! I don’t want eight different pairs of hands or a loving goober that showed up in one G1 episode for five minutes. Just make it clean and simple.

(I know I can throw it all away or hide it or whatever but husssssh you)

The dragon robot is actually Goldran from Brave of Gold Goldran. :eng101: Here is his combination sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pIydCYFNtg

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Also Beast Machines had lovely toys

I think we can all agree on that

The vehicons were all pretty solid, Air Attack Optimus Primal is great, Night Slash Cheetor was good, the deployers were solid, and Blackarachnia is a better spider toy than any of her BW counterparts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait

Quick question, did Gold Plastic Syndrome only affect American toys, or was that a global thing

Follow up question, is that Goldran more recent or should you have to worry about it falling to pieces

I basically get really nervous any time I see a golden toy from the 80s/90s because of that poo poo

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Captain Invictus posted:

that's not necessarily a good thing

While G1 toys being associated with the 1980s is? You kind of missed my point of allowance for nostalgia in a thread about franchise that has currently three new continuities going that have been rebooted to evoke as much nostalgia for the 1984 lineup as possible.

Captain Invictus posted:

okay, okay, you got me. you've just been trolling this whole time, I get it.

Retrax was always cool because my older sister found him revolting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
razorback is so great and he has a toupee of doom

Burkion posted:

Wait

Quick question, did Gold Plastic Syndrome only affect American toys, or was that a global thing

Follow up question, is that Goldran more recent or should you have to worry about it falling to pieces

I basically get really nervous any time I see a golden toy from the 80s/90s because of that poo poo
it's a global thing because black zarak is extremely infamous for being footless since his feet were gold plastic

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Burkion posted:

Wait

I think GPS was because of the specific polymer Hasbro chose to use so it shouldn't affect any toys not made by Hasbro, but I could be wrong about that. Also Goldran was a 90s show with 90s toys, but that looks like a bootleg so it's difficult to determine its age.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Droyer posted:

I think GPS was because of the specific polymer Hasbro chose to use so it shouldn't affect any toys not made by Hasbro, but I could be wrong about that. Also Goldran was a 90s show with 90s toys, but that looks like a bootleg so it's difficult to determine its age.
Randy was 1999
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjAUN5Ssj8&hd=1

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and then there's beast wars neo randy

poor poor randy

I saw a video of someone transforming him to robot mode, just... waiting for the part where it broke in his hands.

Here it is:

https://twitter.com/uzumasa3/status/757180512490233861?s=21

He makes it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sure he was but I don't understand how that relates to my post?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought you were saying that since it was a 90's thing and a lot of gold plastic stuff was more from the 80's(though certainly continued on I believe even now, albeit not as prevalent) that it wasn't affected

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

GPS is very much more than a 90's thing. It affected movie Protoform Starscream as late as 2007, and a variant of it called "gunmetal plastic syndrome" afflicts UW Motormaster.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Drill Nuts, that was the other one.

Beast Wars 2 had a trio named Powerhug, Scissor Boy, and Drill Nuts.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The MSJ posted:

Drill Nuts, that was the other one.

Beast Wars 2 had a trio named Powerhug, Scissor Boy, and Drill Nuts.

There was also Mantis and Bigmos, but those two are less attention grabbing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I've said it before but my favorite thing about the Beast Wars era toys is that since the show established a fairly set in stone scale for Beast era Transformers, it has the interesting side effect of making the toys scale pretty accurately with GI Joe figures

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Nodosaur posted:

The vehicons were all pretty solid, Air Attack Optimus Primal is great, Night Slash Cheetor was good, the deployers were solid, and Blackarachnia is a better spider toy than any of her BW counterparts.

I'd only agree on Air Attack Optimus Primal. And he wasn't part of the Beast Machines line.

Beast Machines is lucky KISS Players exists.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
What is that Coast Guard bot? I have a buddy in the Guard I showed it to and he is confused as heck.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Littoral Combat Ship, apparently.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The vehicons were cool and good and I'm sorry we didn't get more

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah, the seagoing equivalent of the F-35 program

E: still firmly of the opinion that BM Deluxe Jetstorm and his copious repaints were one of the most solid transformers ever designed

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Keldroc posted:

I'd only agree on Air Attack Optimus Primal. And he wasn't part of the Beast Machines line.

Beast Machines is lucky KISS Players exists.

That morphing effect they had for the Maximals was the kiss of death to the toys of the series. It wasn’t impossible to deal with, but the toy designers of the time clearly weren’t up to it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Captain Magic posted:

I would like to weigh in on partsforming.

I loving love robots that put on pieces of their trailers or even other robots to be bigger robots. It’s so goddamn silly and over the top and it pleases me deeply. I understand wanting something to be sleek but partsforming has never really bothered me; things turning into other things is why I like this hobby.

That said, something I really dislike that never seems to get talked about is extra accessories for a bot. Like—I know we’re all in this for more plastic than we need, but I don’t need all these drat guns that have no storage on vehicle or robot mode! I don’t want eight different pairs of hands or a loving goober that showed up in one G1 episode for five minutes. Just make it clean and simple.

(I know I can throw it all away or hide it or whatever but husssssh you)

Absolutely this. Leftover parts are super annoying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of Beast Wars, I remember one year at GenCon (and it may have happened after) there was a panel called "Why Beast Wars Objectively Sucks" or something like that. They were also at DragonCon at least one year, too.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dawgstar posted:

Speaking of Beast Wars, I remember one year at GenCon (and it may have happened after) there was a panel called "Why Beast Wars Objectively Sucks" or something like that. They were also at DragonCon at least one year, too.

Was it just some Genwunner whining or did they do real literary analysis to support their wrong opinions?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not entirely convinced that Beast Machines existed. I saw Beast Wars on TV, but it never segued into Beast Machines (maybe I was only watching reruns?). I had toys as a kid from G2 and Beast Wars and RID, but nothing from Beast Machines. You all talk about it like a monumental failure from Hasbro, but if it was, they scuppered the whole thing incredibly quickly.

The only evidence I have that it existed is the RiD rerelease of Obsidian (which is great). Something like half of RiD was reusing old molds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Definitely sounds like Michael from Retroblasting.

Because he's a huge oval office who hates anything newer than 1989.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Im glad that even though you're all wrong about which TF cartoon is the best (it's Animated, BTW) we can all unite in our disdain for goddamn Beast Machines being awful.

Except Botanica. Make CHUG Botanica hasbro, you loving cowards.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Please tell me there was also a meerkat beast wars transformer at some point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man I wish Transformers Prime didn't get poo poo on and got its final season.

Transformers Prime is the only series that can honestly challenge Beast Wars and if they hadn't gotten screwed over so hard, I think they could have.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Burkion posted:

Man I wish Transformers Animated didn't get poo poo on and got its final season.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why IS that a common thing with Transformers

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Burkion posted:

The cartoons aren't actually that popular so execs just keep hoping that the next reboot will be the one that hits

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Burkion posted:

Old men in conference rooms probably going "Hurry up and end that show. We need something new and flashy to attract the kids."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Animated has awesome toys but the show is hot garbage. Sari might be the worst human character outside of a Unicron Trilogy series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Burkion posted:

RiD 15 got more seasons then it should have. You could tell in season 3 and 4 that they wanted to do more, but the characters and plots just failed. The Decepticon designs were great, but poorly designed toys and way too many 1-step changers killed any interest I had in the line. Plus they switched out the voyager scale toys for some weird hybrid of the 1-step changers.

Speaking of 1-steps, seeing Razorbeast just kinda made me aware of why I hate them so much, BWs already made decent 1-step changers, with decent basic articulation, yet the new ones are all just bad looking G1 style bricks.