Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Honestly don't know what's going on here but I thought the lighting was funky and I swear I'm sober in this picture. And this is the first time I'm actually noticing the buttons on this jacket aren't centered, and I've had this jacket for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
No selfies, but I do have some older pics of my kitties that I found on an sd card.

Both of them liked to curl up in my pea coat.

They have pretty much adjusted to the new place, but it took a couple of months.

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Out here, everything hurts.

So Internet, we've been friends for a while. Here's a secret:

I want a facial scar. OK, not really that much of a secret, I feel like I have said this before, or even posted it before.

I want to go to a scarification artist and have it done. I mean, I would rather it happened naturally, but I am neither a pirate, a duellist or someone who gets into knife fights very often.

I just like how it looks. I feel more like me with it.

This is just drawn on with marker, and clearly a scar would not stay red forever. But the idea stands.

My question is, do you think that I could just straight up tell people it was scarification because I wanted it, or do I lie and say I got it in a more honourable way?

(end of a long day, makeup melting off, whatever)

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Honesty best policy, though there is that air of mystery if you don't talk about it or deflect.

Desmodus rotundus
Sep 15, 2013

HAY GUYS

Are they able to do it safely that close to the eye area?

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Desmodus rotundus posted:

Are they able to do it safely that close to the eye area?

Yeah

I have it far too close to the actual eyeball for it to be realistic without it having gouged my eyeball out. It would mostly be through the eyebrow, and then below onto the cheek.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Carry a bowie knife on your belt with tally marks clearly carved in the handle. When someone asks about the scar, tap the handle of your knife like Doc Holliday in Tombstone and silently stare them down.

Queen-Of-Hearts has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Dec 31, 2018

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Carry a bowie knife on your belt with tally marks clearly carved in the handle. When someone asks about the scar, tap the handle of your knife like Doc Holliday in Tombstone and silently stare them down.

Amazing.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
But make the Bowie knife actually, like, a comb or butter spreader. For the reveal months later that it was just a comb, followed by your continued serious expression and a short, gravelly "Yeah, and? Was a comb back then, too."

Never mention it again.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

As someone with a large facial scar from a motorcycle crash, I'm going to go out on a limb and insist you understand just how idiotic it is to intentionally do yourself up like John Locke. There is no way to give yourself a facial scar and not look like a toughguy poser dope, please don't. Just tattoo your face, it's an equally bad idea (still speaking from experience).

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

I guess I should also not get haircuts lest I be confused for wanting to look like Justin Bieber, or wear makeup unless someone thinks I am being offensive to Ru Paul.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I wish my eye area scar was badass. I say go for it if it makes you happy, I personally think it looks cool and honesty works best if people ask you about it.

I'm thinking about getting finger tattoos. Thinking a lot about it. Maybe when I finally reach my fitness goals.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Inzombiac posted:

I was cleaning and this little dude showed up on my balcony.

It's the chillest cat I've ever seen.
But it won't go away. I'd let it in but I have guinea pigs in an open air cage.

Congrats on your new cat!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I have to say, I’m also not eager to support intentional scarification. Facial scars especially often come from pretty painful and traumatic incidents and I find the idea of intentionally creating them kind of bizarre. It’s not really in the same realm as a haircut or tattoo.

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

As opposed to all of my other intentional scars.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
You do you, live the life you want and be happy :)

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Queen Combat posted:

:glomp:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Queen Combat posted:

This, but please put a lot of thought into it. Make sure you really want to live the rest of your life with a facial scar. And maybe wait on making a final decision until you're off the pain meds.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

This, but please put a lot of thought into it. Make sure you really want to live the rest of your life with a facial scar. And maybe wait on making a final decision until you're off the pain meds.

Quoting for emphasis on the pain meds thing. If you ARE on pain meds you should absolutely wait until you're off before doing something like scarification. If at that point you still want it and you've given it some solid thought, go for it.

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 07:52 on Dec 31, 2018

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Not on pain meds.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Teagan posted:

I guess I should also not get haircuts lest I be confused for wanting to look like Justin Bieber, or wear makeup unless someone thinks I am being offensive to Ru Paul.

Those are normal examples of human aesthetic maintenance. You're wanting to emulate a serious injury just to look like something out of a comic book. It's the difference between couture and costume, don't be so obtuse. People will constantly ask about it, and what are you going to say? That you lived a life so dull that you paid someone to give you a "scar" from an experience you've never had? I'm sure you're a lovely person, but it's just a dumb move. If it was a design or something that you wanted to scar onto your face I would understand it, but faking an injury is just so corny dude.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Teagan posted:

Not on pain meds.
Sorry I assumed you were, based on what you'd said fairly recent about undergoing surgery.

drat, really leanin on the tough part of that gangtag!

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

I want it to look like all the things that I have been through, that people cannot see. Not a comic book villain. A woman who has lived through Some poo poo.

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

B33rChiller posted:

Sorry I assumed you were, based on what you'd said fairly recent about undergoing surgery.

drat, really leanin on the tough part of that gangtag!

I didn't like the itch of the morphine, I have been off for a few days now. :) just general idiocy, not drugs

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I see it as decoration and I'd treat is as a face tattoo, personally. I understand not liking the idea but facial scarification is not a new or terrible thing, and being so judgemental about an aesthetic preference is not even what was asked. I'm pretty sure Teagan knows she'll be asked about it a lot.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Sweet As Sin posted:

I see it as decoration and I'd treat is as a face tattoo, personally. I understand not liking the idea but facial scarification is not a new or terrible thing, and being so judgemental about an aesthetic preference is not even what was asked. I'm pretty sure Teagan knows she'll be asked about it a lot.

Exactly. I think of it the same way as I do "permanent" makeup, or facial tattoos, or whatever. If you want to do it, more power to you. All of the arguments that boil down to "think of the consequences!" or "but that doesn't fit my worldview" or "you're faking an injury" kinda don't get it, or may be simply misunderstanding intent (though I bear them no ill will individually).

From one T to another, sometimes you want to make the things that have been living or done inside, visible on the outside, perceived consequences be damned.

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

quote:

From one T to another, sometimes you want to make the things that have been living or done inside, visible on the outside, perceived consequences be damned.

Exactly this. It isn't as vain as it seems. Showing something I have felt inside for so long, and thought about for so long, carried with me. Maybe a good reason for someone to see something, and finally ask "what happened to you?" You can only wear things on your sleeve for so long, before you want to scream This is who I am. Hurt. Scarred. Healed. Tough.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Teagan posted:

I want it to look like all the things that I have been through, that people cannot see. Not a comic book villain. A woman who has lived through Some poo poo.

I get that, and I respect what you're after, but let's face it, you're going to look like a comic book villain. That's where that type of scar comes from. It's not a common real thing, therefore it has no basis in reality. It's going to look like a costume. Thinking that scarification would look like anything other than cosplay, is the same line of thought that the "gentlemen" who wear fedoras use to justify their actions. Eat pray and live your best life or whatever, but be aware that giving yourself the Doc Evil treatment is going to look like just that.

As a final addition, I gotta say as someone with a facial disfigurement, you're going to receive plenty of sympathy from people who think you were actually hurt, and it's pretty awkward that you want to welcome that into your life (it's going to happen whether you want it or not). It's like rolling around in a wheelchair because it's more comfortable, or because it represents the setbacks you've had in life. I'm not telling you how to fly your freak flag, I'm just trying to say that it's odd that you want to seem injured to everyone you meet for the rest of your years, because very literally in this case, that isn't how you've actually been injured.

Anyway, I'll can it, I wasn't trying to harsh your aspirations, just chiming in as someone that actually has a big scar on their face.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

her body her call

just in my imo

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Choom Gangster posted:

I get that, and I respect what you're after, but let's face it, you're going to look like a comic book villain. That's where that type of scar comes from. It's not a common real thing, therefore it has no basis in reality. It's going to look like a costume. Thinking that scarification would look like anything other than cosplay, is the same line of thought that the "gentlemen" who wear fedoras use to justify their actions. Eat pray and live your best life or whatever, but be aware that giving yourself the Doc Evil treatment is going to look like just that.

As a final addition, I gotta say as someone with a facial disfigurement, you're going to receive plenty of sympathy from people who think you were actually hurt, and it's pretty awkward that you want to welcome that into your life (it's going to happen whether you want it or not). It's like rolling around in a wheelchair because it's more comfortable, or because it represents the setbacks you've had in life. I'm not telling you how to fly your freak flag, I'm just trying to say that it's odd that you want to seem injured to everyone you meet for the rest of your years, because very literally in this case, that isn't how you've actually been injured.

Anyway, I'll can it, I wasn't trying to harsh your aspirations, just chiming in as someone that actually has a big scar on their face.

I am sorry for your injury, and for the difficulties it has lead to, in your life. I am sorry for the accident you were in. I cannot imagine your suffering.

Belittling mine, and jumping over the reasons I have listed, might be something you could consider being sorry for, too, instead of making fun of me.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

He isn't making fun of you at all, he's posting very serious advice.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

kru posted:

He isn't making fun of you at all, he's posting very serious advice.

Yeah this.

And now I'm going to do it in a much less elegant manner.

Holy poo poo don't loving cut your face up intentionally what the gently caress

There's not a benefit to having your loving difficult past outwardly visible other than scaring people away and while that may sound great now it's gonna really suck when you're old as gently caress and even small children don't wanna approach the scary old lady with the hosed up face.

Her body her choice is.totally valid but it's also a loving terrible choice

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

We're all going to die soon so do whatever you want.

If you don't think it would impact your ability to survive, I say do it

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

I don't usually do makeup so I don't know if I should feel bad or good about this :(

On scarification chat, I'm very pro marking things. My piercings each mean something survived and I have 10. And I'm eventually planning on a large scarification on my back.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Sweet As Sin posted:

Queen Combat posted:

Exactly. I think of it the same way as I do "permanent" makeup, or facial tattoos, or whatever. If you want to do it, more power to you. All of the arguments that boil down to "think of the consequences!" or "but that doesn't fit my worldview" or "you're faking an injury" kinda don't get it, or may be simply misunderstanding intent (though I bear them no ill will individually).

That's good that you guys are not ignorant about body mods, not being sarcastic at all it really is great, but the vast vast majority of people are not going to perceive it that way at all. They probably won't even consider it might be intentional.

I don't want this to turn into a dogpile on you Teagan but I agree that you really need to be careful about making this permanent. Maybe apply makeup that looks like what you want for a while first? In any case it is your body and your face and if you really know it's right for you, you shouldn't necessarily let other people talk you out of it. But I think people are just concerned you may not want the negative attention. I mean I feel like it wasn't that long ago that you were talking about being self conscious about your nose, and you have a beautiful face and there's nothing wrong with your nose so I would just worry how you may handle it if people are rude and awkward about the scar in public. Sorry people are lovely :(

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Choom Gangster posted:

please listen to the particularly grounded words of this poster before dismissing them as making fun of you or whatever. scars don't look cool like in vgames. that you're considering making up a knife fight story or whatever to justify it to people is incredibly weird and lame. get a bad tattoo and therapy like the rest of us IMO

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Anyways this discussion is decidedly Not Chill so I figure I should contribute a selfie. Pre work. Usually don't wear makeup but I had time this morning to do something quick. I like my new plugs. Kinda flashy but hey it's new years eve!

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I like the plugs!

Not pleased about having to work today, but I'm here dammit

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Hey, kids. As someone has mentioned, this conversation has the potential to be Not Chill, and so you can PM each other at this point but otherwise it's going to derail. Byeee~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Dixville posted:

Anyways this discussion is decidedly Not Chill so I figure I should contribute a selfie. Pre work. Usually don't wear makeup but I had time this morning to do something quick. I like my new plugs. Kinda flashy but hey it's new years eve!

You have very pretty eyes! What color are they (I honestly can't tell)?