Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Being a Berber can offset the cost of your castle in North Africa getting flooded because you personally hold the gold fields on the southern edge of the map; 750 CrusaderBucks is basically a quick trip to Rome and Venice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

God damnit. I reformed religion with equality (well, actually the Bon version "Harmonious") to get Full Cognatic because I had a genius daughter floating around that I wanted to inherit the khaganate. When she did, the law was reset to Agnatic again. That's annoying, though NBD given the piles of dudes around.

Can't switch by law change either, since the status of women thing is perma-locked to full.
Bah, I cannot reproduce this bug I had in a new (non ironman) save.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Funky Valentine posted:

Being a Berber can offset the cost of your castle in North Africa getting flooded because you personally hold the gold fields on the southern edge of the map; 750 CrusaderBucks is basically a quick trip to Rome and Venice.

Eastern Africa has Silk Road posts which do a lot to ease the sting. It’s just an annoyance.

Having a kind-of luxury tax on Artifacts isn’t actually a bad idea, especially if the odds increases the larger the treasury gets. And it’s weird that only Africans have flooding problems.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

There also seems to be a random African event where you just suddenly get thousands of gold out of nowhere. But I've only gotten that after being established and feudal.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

lurksion posted:

LOL looking at the event that's kind of hilarious (hf_african_flavor_events).

Basically rain changes every 5 years, and a rain event fires every two years. If a character has mostly heavy rain, base chance of 1/6 book, 1/6 chance of weapon or armor getting murdered. After that happens, risk is reduced by a factor of 10 for a character.

i bless the raaaiiinnns down in africaaaa

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whorelord posted:

i bless the raaaiiinnns down in africaaaa

...oh loving hell, it's this, isn't it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CommissarMega posted:

...oh loving hell, it's this, isn't it?

It's literally the name of the achievement for doing a rain dance as an African King+.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hey, I was looking to create a mod that makes it so that landed women will use the more ruler like male headgear instead of the female headgear, which is obviously intended for spouse of a landed partner. Would I be looking to edit Portrait Properties? Or changing something in Portraits themselves?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Eimi posted:

Hey, I was looking to create a mod that makes it so that landed women will use the more ruler like male headgear instead of the female headgear, which is obviously intended for spouse of a landed partner. Would I be looking to edit Portrait Properties? Or changing something in Portraits themselves?
Simple description of how this works:

a) Headgear and stuff have a texture file (/gfx/characters/) - these are split into male and female files.
b) The portraits.gfx files (/interface/portraits/) define which texture file links up to which property and how many indexes there are for that property
c) portrait_properties.txt (/interface/portrait_properties/) defines how to choose a index.

The problem you run into with your goal is that the selection of properties happens in (c), but you are already restricted to within a single texture file by (a)/(b). So you would need to mod (a)/(b) to combine the wanted textures together and then define (c) to pick appropriately.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 30, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lurksion posted:

Simple description of how this works:

a) Headgear and stuff have a texture file (/gfx/characters/) - these are split into male and female files.
b) The portraits.gfx files (/interface/portraits/) define which texture file links up to which property and how many indexes there are for that property
c) portrait_properties.txt (/interface/portrait_properties/) defines how to choose a index.

The problem you run into with your goal is that the selection of properties happens in (c), but you are already restricted to within a single texture file by (a)/(b). So you would need to mod (a)/(b) to combine the wanted textures together and then define (c) to pick appropriately.

So basically I would have to insert the male texture file into the female one and then define what's chosen based on landed status in c? Or for the quick and dirty option, just copy the male file and rename it to the female? :v:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yep. Though quick and dirty would result in all using one set of headgear without the landed check. And you would probably want to define them in the gfx files (though I guess these textures aren't that large). And don't forget that DLC graphics stuff is in the dlc zips.

Societies actually don't follow those steps exactly - the (b) step have some additional definitions in them that allow them to override the "normal" definitions. The problem is that they have a very limited set of conditions unlike portrait_properties in (c). If in the future this set of conditions is expanded, you would be able to use this system to do what you wanted. Unlikely to happen I think.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 30, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Charles Martel, Niall Noigiallach, Attila the Hun, Kubrat, Ashina, by your powers combined I have the History Is In My Blood achievement.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lurksion posted:

Yep. Though quick and dirty would result in all using one set of headgear without the landed check. And you would probably want to define them in the gfx files (though I guess these textures aren't that large). And don't forget that DLC graphics stuff is in the dlc zips.

Societies actually don't follow those steps exactly - the (b) step have some additional definitions in them that allow them to override the "normal" definitions. The problem is that they have a very limited set of conditions unlike portrait_properties in (c). If in the future this set of conditions is expanded, you would be able to use this system to do what you wanted. Unlikely to happen I think.

Whelp, portrait_properties is practically incomprehensible to me, so I guess I'll just edit the headgear files. I'll post the resulting mod here, if anyone cares. It'd basically just be for a matriarchal run. I'd love to be able to comprehensively fix it so that it only checks if you're landed, but c'est la vie.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1608849317

Eimi fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 31, 2018

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1607185825

uhh... ok

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The battle event where your character just dies is loving bullshit. It fires way too often and for no reason. I just had it fire when the enemy was routing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Eimi posted:

The battle event where your character just dies is loving bullshit. It fires way too often and for no reason. I just had it fire when the enemy was routing.

it doesn't matter how high your martial is or how high your personal combat score is

never

let

your ruler

lead armies

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Eimi posted:

Don't lead battles if you aren't willing to die lol

There´s even a special option for ya big ole cowards to never go into battle on the character screen

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
fwiw better martial and better PCS makes that event way less likely, and there's a warrior lodge trait that straight up turns it off.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm not sure what you're doing. I rarely have my ruler die in battle when they've been ranking up in the warrior lodge.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

fwiw better martial and better PCS makes that event way less likely, and there's a warrior lodge trait that straight up turns it off.

it’s the rank 4 warrior lodge perk and man yeah theoretically higher marital and PCS makes it less likely but every time I have some insanely badass warrior queen with like 23 martial and 80+ PCS she will get disfigured in her first battle and killed in her second

Not goddamn worth it

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Don't lead battles if you aren't willing to die lol

There´s even a special option for ya big ole cowards to never go into battle on the character screen

Medieval kings went into battle all the time and rarely died.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Charlz Guybon posted:

Presumably they had lots of bodyguards who did most of the fighting. Though I've read that medieval combat wasn't as deadly as we've been lead to believe.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

I can think of a shitloads where they did, including those where they died as the enemy retreated

Don't lead troops lol

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palemdromes posted:

Presumably they had lots of bodyguards who did most of the fighting. Though I've read that medieval combat wasn't as deadly as we've been lead to believe.

Most of the victims probably died of infection days later, I would think.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I have Perun's Axe, you bet your rear end I'm leading that charge.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Buncha Craven-rear end milkdrinkers ITT

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I can think of a shitloads where they did, including those where they died as the enemy retreated

Don't lead troops lol
We would not die in that man’s company

That fears his fellowship to die with us.

https://youtu.be/A-yZNMWFqvM

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

always lead armies yourself. if my ruler sucks rear end then of course I'm leading armies into doomstacks.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Lead armies if your ruler is brave, don't if they're craven or super old or a merchant prince.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yeah, I consider it more of an "I want to get rid of this ruler"-option.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh no idea why this started happening - ironman autosaves are taking minutes to save.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Palemdromes posted:

Especially in the earlier part of the Middle Ages, it was considered to be a more impressive feat of arms to capture an opponent than kill them, and this also had the attractive side benefit of allowing you to collect an often sizeable ransom. Body counts seem to have been very low for a variety of reasons - Orderic Vitalis describes a battle in 1119 involving 900 knights in which there were 3 deaths. Now, numbers should never be taken at face value from these kinds of things, but you get the idea.

We can also see that killing was not seen as the objective from penances suggested for knights who killed an opponent in battle: the Venerable Bede suggests fasting for 40 days and Fulcher of Chartres said there should be a year's penance.

This would not have been true when fighting 'infidels', though, and changes the later into the Middle Ages we go: more and more use of mercenaries and paid foot soldiers (the 'peasant conscript' thing seems to have essentially never happened) led to larger armies and significantly bloodier battles.

Basically CK2 war doesn't seem very much like medieval war as I understand it to me at all, but it's fun this way so v0v.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's not even necessarily that my rulers die, it's how nonsensically the event occurs. If I have an overwhelming numbers advantage, AND I'm winning the battle, AND my character has a high martial score, how they hell are they getting the event where they are are all alone on the battlefield and just die with no other option? I would be more accepting of the event if it occurred when I was losing the battle or just getting crushed by superior numbers, the problem is when I have an army of 1500 and I'm fighting 300 and two flanks have already routed but oops you died. :argh:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

1stGear posted:

Buncha Craven-rear end milkdrinkers ITT

:yeah:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bear in mind there is a real event of historical record where the Holy Roman Emperor died on the crusades by drowning in hip-deep river, because he tripped while crossing it and couldn't get up because his armour was too heavy.

People die all the time for incredibly stupid reasons.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Bear in mind there is a real event of historical record where the Holy Roman Emperor died on the crusades by drowning in hip-deep river, because he tripped while crossing it and couldn't get up because his armour was too heavy.

God I wish that was an event. Especially if it can only pop if you’re loaded with fancy gold artifact armor.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah but it doesn't make for very fun gameplay

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

evenworse username posted:

Especially in the earlier part of the Middle Ages, it was considered to be a more impressive feat of arms to capture an opponent than kill them, and this also had the attractive side benefit of allowing you to collect an often sizeable ransom. Body counts seem to have been very low for a variety of reasons - Orderic Vitalis describes a battle in 1119 involving 900 knights in which there were 3 deaths. Now, numbers should never be taken at face value from these kinds of things, but you get the idea.

We can also see that killing was not seen as the objective from penances suggested for knights who killed an opponent in battle: the Venerable Bede suggests fasting for 40 days and Fulcher of Chartres said there should be a year's penance.

This would not have been true when fighting 'infidels', though, and changes the later into the Middle Ages we go: more and more use of mercenaries and paid foot soldiers (the 'peasant conscript' thing seems to have essentially never happened) led to larger armies and significantly bloodier battles.

Basically CK2 war doesn't seem very much like medieval war as I understand it to me at all, but it's fun this way so v0v.

I have always sort of assumed that the loss numbers also include those that just ran away.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Who was this? Did all his soldiers crossing with him just hate him so they didn't pick him up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

good news the playable pope mod has been updated

quote:

- Version 0.0.08, 'Novus'

- Updated to be compatible with Jade Dragon and Holy Fury

- All titles besides the Papacy that the Pope holds should now follow Investiture Succession. This means that as long as you don't manually nominate a successor, titles will pass directly to the next Pope.

- Coronation and Excommunication events modified so that the player Pope has a choice in what the other party does to gain his blessing.

- Removed the 'Form the Holy See' decision, as it should no longer be necessary for the Pope to have an Empire-tier title.

- Removed the 'Papacy at War' events and modifiers, as they've been rendered obsolete by some changes that Holy Fury introduced to how rulers react to their religious head being attacked.

- Removed the NAP/Alliance mechanics related to Cardinal appointment. Changes brought in with Holy Fury mean that it isn't necessary, as Catholic rulers seem to never attack the Pope anymore.

- The Pope can now take the "Form a New Empire" decision if he meets the requirements. The new Empire-tier title that he creates should follow Investiture Succession and not have any other options, so that it stays with the Papacy.