Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Zerilan posted:

Going to finally start playing more TLD, but don't really know if I want to go through the story stuff since it sounds kind of bad. Any really useful poo poo I should know going in on sandbox or scenario modes?

ive heard some good thing about the new story mode. whatever complaints you might have heard a month ago, at least, are probably mitigated somewhat

there are maps online if you like that kind of thing, it takes two full hours at any negative temperature to develop hypothermia (though frostbite can develop really quickly), hold - dont throw torches to keep wolves away (just dont walk directly into them and they'll stay a specific distance away)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Some changes that might be good to know depending on how long it's been since you've played last:

-You need cans or pots to boil water now. Pots let you make a lot more at once, but cans are considerably lighter and easier to find(especially since you can get them from eating canned food). Pot/can condition doesn't degrade unless you leave food cooking or water boiling long enough for the food to burn or the water to completely boil away.
-Unless you're going for a 100% map, don't bother mapping stuff outside important points. The in-game map isn't detailed enough to be useful for detailed navigation, just basic "X is here in relation to Y" stuff.
-Custom difficulty is a thing now, and good for cranking up the bits of difficulty you enjoy without going full Interloper. Just be aware that the item frequency sliders have bigger effects than you'd think.
-Matches don't degrade over time anymore. They still spawn with random condition, but it doesn't affect anything.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
C:DDA does not have any real difficulty beyond the first 72 hours of a character’s life, this is known and imo a feature, not a bug. you do not need power armor or bionics or mutations or anything like that to turn yourself into a functionally invincible demigod in DDA, you need a stick and a knife to make a cudgel for a weapon, and a dozen sheets, a few pairs of shoes, and a sewing kit for armor. and that’s if you’re going from scratch.

a cudgel and a tailored shirt, pants, duster, and mask all reinforced with leather will mean standard zombies are basically incapable of hurting you- and at that point you can get literally anything you want with close to zero risk, the question is simply what you want to focus on first.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Nobody talks about SCUM anymore. How bad is it nowadays? it always looked apealing to me but I'm fed up buying promising looking poo poo that turns out mediocre.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Klaaz posted:

Nobody talks about SCUM anymore. How bad is it nowadays? it always looked apealing to me but I'm fed up buying promising looking poo poo that turns out mediocre.

I'm still playing it quite a lot and they keep adding new stuff into it. The cars update was a huge boost, but it's still very barebones so no Mad Max gang wars as of yet. Basically you can just drive around with friends but it sure beats walking everywhere. You can get shot inside a car but you can't shoot out of it (yet) and you can't do anything while inside the car as a passenger. I'd at least expect you can eat/drink or play instruments. Or maybe they will add a radio that plays non-copyrighted Croatian bands.

Last big update added fortifications, locks etc. which you can buy with fame. The lockpick system is pretty useless as of now though, since skill doesn't seem to affect it at all and good loving luck trying to pick anything in the 3 seconds you get. I would assume it will be fixed so high skill gives you more time, though. My team has not been able to pick any lock as of yet but we've instead used watchtowers to climb inside windows that have not been fortified.

I'm playing on SKRA EU #1 and the populace has gone down a lot, which makes the game sometimes a bit boring when you don't see any enemy players. A lot are probably waiting for the next update, which is understandable with EA games. SKRA #2 has more players, but that's a "fun" server with 5x loot, which sounds a bit boring to me. I rather like the "survival" aspect more, and frankly we've found just as good loot on SKRA 1 as well. So if anyone wants to play, feel free to pop by! It's a fun game even in this early on development.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Main reason I haven't touched SCUM is because the lag and rubberbanding was just awful. Made fights feel terrible and dying a total act of RNGodness. Until they fix that, I'm not gonna put myself through the pain of looting only to die to some guy with a hatchet moonwalking about me and phaseshifting through parallel dimensions.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The lag and rubberbanding are a lot better in general, but there might still be problems on servers that are full of players. I can personally now have proper fights instead of a lagshow and enemies move normally from place to place instead of teleporting. If you still have issues, try a server which is not 100% packed.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Decided to give The Long Dark another go and am about seven days into my first real run.

Landed in Milton and decided to set up my first base in a big house on top of the hill at the entrance to the town.

After raiding a majority of the buildings I have a comfortable supply of tools, items for fires, several pots for boiling water, a decent set of clothing and a rifle.

I had found a rope tied to a rock leading down to a frozen lake. I think I am going to leave a majority of my food at the house and trek down there. Maybe I can find a place to fish so I have a renewable food source.

Pretty chill game.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've been interested in The Long Dark, but I'd heard that it has a time limit. It just gets colder and colder until you can't keep up. Is that true?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Travic posted:

I've been interested in The Long Dark, but I'd heard that it has a time limit. It just gets colder and colder until you can't keep up. Is that true?

Only in some game modes I believe. I like to play in Voyageur mode or a custom setting, because on harder difficulties it seems like as soon as a wolf is within visible range it catches your scent and beelines in. Never had any problems with increasing cold.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Travic posted:

Saw there was a YouTube series of a dude trying to survive for 365 in game days. Honestly you'd probably get bored of it way before then.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
There's also a cap to how cold it can get, although it takes a ridiculously long time to get there.

The more pressing 'time limit' is probably the decay of all the food and clothing in the world. You can survive off hunting for meat and fur/skins, but there's not much point in continuing to explore the world once most of the resources have decayed away. That also takes long enough that you're likely to get bored of the game before it happens, though.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok great. I'll pick it up. It's even on sale.

I've been looking for a game where you have to survive in a hostile environment. Carving out a little safe zone for myself. I especially like games with where I think, "I can't go out right now it's storming/blizzard/a horde nearby."

Things like the corruptuon from Blightfall or blowouts from Stalker.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Haifisch posted:

There's also a cap to how cold it can get, although it takes a ridiculously long time to get there.

takes 50 days, drops a total of 20c (i think? might be 25, but i think its 20) on interloper. i dont know voyageur and stalker for sure but i think its really small and takes a lot longer (like 200 days)

quote:

The more pressing 'time limit' is probably the decay of all the food and clothing in the world. You can survive off hunting for meat and fur/skins, but there's not much point in continuing to explore the world once most of the resources have decayed away. That also takes long enough that you're likely to get bored of the game before it happens, though.

this takes thousands and thousands of days, but yeah, you can still live forever with a magnifying glass, sticks and stones for catching rabbits. otherwise i think you can live forever via beachcombing for arrows, but if you dont do that you will eventually run out of saplings and then wont really have a way to kill animals. i think knives suffer condition damage during a struggle or i guess you could live entirely off of knifing wolves to death

Meridian posted:

Saw there was a YouTube series of a dude trying to survive for 365 in game days. Honestly you'd probably get bored of it way before then.

after a while of playing, this is kinda trivial. there was some guy who survived thousands of days by lighting a single match every few hundred? or so and burning a weeks long fire fire for water/food/whatnot. he'd spend his entire time treading the line between hypothermia and not while picking up sticks and coal until he had some absurd stockpile, get to 100% condition and just make water for days until he was at like 1% and about to die of exhaustion, sleep, etc

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 1, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Interloper is legitimately difficult, even when you know exactly what to do. You can only scavenge so fast and curing and crafting gear takes days and days. I'm day 40 at the moment and the weather just gets colder and colder; I can barely keep adding enough clothes to be slightly cold out and can only travel in the latter half of the daytime now, assuming it isn't blizzarding. I'm still hanging in there and actually landed a bear but haven't seen a moose yet. I have no idea how you're supposed to kill a bear without abusing pathing or porches. I started in pleasant valley (this place is a freezing deathtrap on interloper), scavenged and made my tools and bow and cleared coastal highway and desolation point on the way. I made carter dam my main base and cleared mystery lake, crafted up my mittens, hood, pants, boots, and am waiting for pelts to dry for the wolf coat. I'm headed down to mountain town to clear that and expect to get back to mystery lake on day 50.

Wolf AI is a bit silly once you know exactly what to do; if you're having trouble (warning, this ruins verisimilitude):
They growl and run/close to about 15m, will pause there for like 6 seconds, then attack. They'll also attack if they end up within about 10 feet of you (you walk towards them). They immediately attack if you aim a gun or bow. They can smell you from a far distance if you're carrying gut/meat/hide. You walk/run away from them and don't stop for more than 6 seconds. They'll endlessly stalk you and growl a lot but that's pretty much it. You can ignore them all the way to your destination.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I tend to run the settings really hard but turn wildlife passive. I'm just not a fan of interacting with wolves and bears.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I do kinda the same, not full passive wildlife, but set the scent/sense/spawn ranges down real low and the fear to max.
Makes it so you don't have to treat wolves like man seeking missiles and instead just things to keep an eye on, behaving much more realistically imo, frequently ignoring you and usually running if they notice you, unless your carrying meat. If your downwind you can actually stalk real close behind wolves to hunt them too. Unfortunate side-effect is that deer and rabbits are real dumb and don't bolt till your like two meters away, which makes hunting them a bit too easy.

Also, despite a hundred hours in the game, I've yet to have a snare actually work and have mostly sidelined them as useless decoration that rabbits like to frolic around, any tips for that?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the problem with that is that if wildlife isnt a threat, interloper is in virtually every way a build order (and becomes trivial) - as its generally too cold 95% of the time to begin with, weather isnt a hindrance to planning

Bhodi posted:

Interloper is legitimately difficult, even when you know exactly what to do. You can only scavenge so fast and curing and crafting gear takes days and days. I'm day 40 at the moment and the weather just gets colder and colder; I can barely keep adding enough clothes to be slightly cold out and can only travel in the latter half of the daytime now, assuming it isn't blizzarding.
[/spoiler]

just eat the hypothermia risk. it takes a full two hours independent of condition to develop hypothermia from freezing and even with >> youre still looking at ~30 minutes before you get to freezing. you can get from one important place to another in 2.5 hours trivially, and caves now seem to always be above 0

Bhodi posted:

They growl and run/close to about 15m, will pause there for like 6 seconds, then attack. They'll also attack if they end up within about 10 feet of you (you walk towards them). They immediately attack if you aim a gun or bow. They can smell you from a far distance if you're carrying gut/meat/hide. You walk/run away from them and don't stop for more than 6 seconds. They'll endlessly stalk you and growl a lot but that's pretty much it. You can ignore them all the way to your destination.

a wolf thats in attack range will jump you, even if you're walking away. it might take a slightly longer time, but unless you have a torch out its just a matter of rolling some rng or something

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you need to set up snares near where rabbits hang out anyway. so basically just head to wherever you see a spawn, drop a snare or two, and then gently caress off to go to bed or scare rabbits into them. snares do some decent work in TLD but you basically have to treat them as automatic harvesters without a regularized output, which is kind of a hard sell in a game where you can just throw a rock to get the same general result.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jawnycat posted:

I do kinda the same, not full passive wildlife, but set the scent/sense/spawn ranges down real low and the fear to max.
Makes it so you don't have to treat wolves like man seeking missiles and instead just things to keep an eye on, behaving much more realistically imo, frequently ignoring you and usually running if they notice you, unless your carrying meat. If your downwind you can actually stalk real close behind wolves to hunt them too. Unfortunate side-effect is that deer and rabbits are real dumb and don't bolt till your like two meters away, which makes hunting them a bit too easy.

Also, despite a hundred hours in the game, I've yet to have a snare actually work and have mostly sidelined them as useless decoration that rabbits like to frolic around, any tips for that?

The best method I've found to use snares is to position them in the natural walking path of the rabbit, then leave the area for half a day, come back and check. I've had that work about half the time I've set them up.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Coolguye posted:

you need to set up snares near where rabbits hang out anyway. so basically just head to wherever you see a spawn, drop a snare or two, and then gently caress off to go to bed or scare rabbits into them. snares do some decent work in TLD but you basically have to treat them as automatic harvesters without a regularized output, which is kind of a hard sell in a game where you can just throw a rock to get the same general result.

i dont know if ive ever used a snare tbh. rocks are very easy to aim

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Verviticus posted:

a wolf thats in attack range will jump you, even if you're walking away. it might take a slightly longer time, but unless you have a torch out its just a matter of rolling some rng or something
Yeah but if you continue walking, it's always in "closing" range because it stalks slightly slower than you you walk. At least for me, maybe I'm really lucky with rng?

I've used snares before in single player just to get the quest and they're super obnoxious. As I recall, snares were added way back before you could throw stones at them (and before that neck snapping animation), so they're not overly useful and never got a redesign pass. You definitely have to wait 10 hours or so for it to potentially catch a rabbit, so yeah just get good at throwing. I still don't have that stone age sniper achievement though.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 2, 2019

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Verviticus posted:

i dont know if ive ever used a snare tbh. rocks are very easy to aim
It's me, I'm the person who uses snares because I can't aim rocks worth a poo poo. :saddowns:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

It's me, I'm the person who uses snares because I can't aim rocks worth a poo poo. :saddowns:
you can throw while crouched and can sneak right up to them; they won't run until they literally touch you.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Snares aren't all that useful as a food source since the only time rabbits are really worth it is early game when you need a few hundred calories to get through the night, and you need it now, not later, maybe.

They can be handy if you're using rabbitskin clothing and you need to farm a bunch of pelts, though. The best I've done was 3 rabbits in one day with 4 snares, and it didn't deplete the area of rabbits or anything, so they can actually be pretty lucrative.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Snares are insane because rabbits are the first thing you should be hunting but in order to make a snare you need cured gut. They really need a rework.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Bhodi posted:

Yeah but if you continue walking, it's always in "closing" range because it stalks slightly slower than you you walk. At least for me, maybe I'm really lucky with rng?

i think you're just really lucky. ive never really been able to get that to work. flares or torches on the other hand are basically perfect for holding them back if you arent bleeding, just dont throw them

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I still really hate that wolves will charge if you aim your gun/bow at them, like I fully get why from a gameplay standpoint, but it's just 'HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MOTION EVEN MEANS, YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER SEEN A GUN BEFORE, GAH'

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Did one of the patch made it more difficult to hunt with the flare gun? I played a bunch at the release of story mode and it was very easy to hunt wolf and bear with flare gun. Now the flare usually bounce off the animal. I still got it to stick a few times, but not reliably.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

variance i assume. i dont think they made it harder to hunt with the flare gun. it was always a bit tricky to hit wolves, but bears are no issue

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Is there anyone else youtubing zomboid on a current build other than this cromulent archer guy?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Hey TLD so I have like 3 axes and need wood and theres trees like literally everywhere and yet I can turn precisely zero of them into wood?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Jawnycat posted:

I still really hate that wolves will charge if you aim your gun/bow at them, like I fully get why from a gameplay standpoint, but it's just 'HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MOTION EVEN MEANS, YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER SEEN A GUN BEFORE, GAH'

There's a trick where you can drop bait and they won't charge when you aim, because they're in "baited" mode instead of "stalking" mode

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Hey TLD so I have like 3 axes and need wood and theres trees like literally everywhere and yet I can turn precisely zero of them into wood?

It's very silly. You have to find logs and branches on the ground.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And there are very specific saplings you can harvest but only use for crafting purposes.

OTOH it's basically impossible to run out of firewood as long as you bother to collect sticks. They spawn all over the place in wooded areas & picking them up is instant compared to the time investment of chopping apart tree limbs. They do have pretty lovely burn time compared to their weight as a trade-off, though.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The Long Dark: This is a very realistic survival sim that will require lots of knowledge of weather and clothing layering in order to survive the realistic apocalypse.

Also The Long Dark: You need an ancient heroes spear to kill the 150 year old demon bear so that you can make a phone call to Canada (?) and also please remember that you don't sleep on the ground its dirty down there.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Meridian posted:

Is there anyone else youtubing zomboid on a current build other than this cromulent archer guy?

I'd also be curious about it. He seems to know what he's doing (from what I briefly saw - I don't watch a done of LPs etc) but some of the other ones I found were just someone who DIDN'T know how to play right running away from stuff constantly. Hell, I can do that!

I've been poking at Zomboid again (after first trying it a couple years ago) - the vehicle additions are nice, and seem to work decently? Super survivors seems like a cute mod (single player only) though at the same time, the first time I had a fight with some random hostile gang member guy I realized how messed up the default system is when they seem immune to being knocked down by my baseball bat swings, so I had to take like 500 lacerations from a knife...and yeah, healing in that game is suuuuuper slow. Partly since Zomboid has such a 'don't get hit because one bite means you're dead' design and as a result you're going to avoid most damage when you aren't new (like jumping through broken-glass-filled windows) or an unfortunate fall while building a house breaking your ankle or something.

I think the tricky part is I think my ideal zombie game™ is slightly different than their vision, so it means mods. Hard to find ones that do quite what I want, though... I think encumbrance is actually fine as a concept, but their specific values feel ridiculous(ly restrictive) to me. Sadly this feels like the area that mods are the weakest, though that may be due to implementation details. So you can easily find mods that do something that basically negate encumbrance totally... or maybe make logs/planks lighter, but not much in the way of just giving a biiiit more of a buffer.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The Long Dark: This is a very realistic survival sim that will require lots of knowledge of weather and clothing layering in order to survive the realistic apocalypse.

Also The Long Dark: You need an ancient heroes spear to kill the 150 year old demon bear so that you can make a phone call to Canada (?) and also please remember that you don't sleep on the ground its dirty down there.
To be fair, sleeping directly on the cold wet/snowy ground would be a Bad Idea.

Then again, you can do a lot of other Bad Ideas without the game stopping you, so it's probably a weird engine limitation as much as anything.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm still pretty early into The Long Dark. It seems like the game wants me to keep moving and not settle down anywhere. Can you get to the point where you have a home base you return to and live out of? Or is it just about staying in a new place every night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Travic posted:

I'm still pretty early into The Long Dark. It seems like the game wants me to keep moving and not settle down anywhere. Can you get to the point where you have a home base you return to and live out of? Or is it just about staying in a new place every night?

I usually find that I settle a lot more once I've got a weapon because now I have hides curing and a big pile of meat sitting outside my door. Up until that point I end up wandering, because once you've eaten all the canned peaches and granola bars there's not much else reason to stay in a place. Each map has a couple places that are really well-suited for a base; everywhere else is somewhere to raid for food or squat in if you're stuck in a blizzard.