Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ascii genitals posted:

No you didn't.

You quoted the post it’s in my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1079728684427341825

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t think it was a sincere apology if he started passive-aggressively crying about Twitter outrage mobs. That signals that he is more mad anyone questioned him than that he actually learned something from the ordeal.

I don't agree with this at all. Call out culture is loving insane and it's possible to be genuinely apologetic about something and still note the utter lunacy of people to latch on to literally anything on social media and make it the greatest crime that has ever been perpetuated on humanity

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ascii genitals posted:

My original question was about this.

It’s not a special, per se, but it’s stuff from his new tour. He’s upset so he’s making roundabout jokes about how we shouldn’t believe everything we hear, which isn’t necessarily wrong but it is extremely tone deaf and upsetting given that the context is within #metoo.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/aziz-ansaris-new-standup-tour-is-a-cry-against-extreme-wokeness

Example:

quote:

An early riff in the show centered on a pizza chain that Ansari said had come under fire for arranging pepperoni slices in the shape of a swastika. He described rumors that the image of the toppings had been digitally altered, then admitted that he had made the whole story up. Hearing this, the crowd erupted in laughter at its own gullibility. “You people that are clapping,” Ansari shouted. “You’re the loving problem.”

Got ‘em, Aziz.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah, #metoo isn't just about ridding the nation of famous sex pests, the fact that it's shining light on normal everyday harassment is also extremely important- much like the recent name and shaming of racists calling the cops on black people existing in public spaces. We should be educating each other about this stuff because it's the only way to make it stop happening. The power of #metoo (and BLM) is that they prove these are not isolated incidents that happen occasionally, they are ENDEMIC and nothing is gonna change unless we all recognize that fact and push each other to change.

(e: referring to the gas station tweets, IDGAF about Ansari.)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's going to be so weird having a president that isn't an idiot manchild having constant meltdowns.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I don't agree with this at all. Call out culture is loving insane and it's possible to be genuinely apologetic about something and still note the utter lunacy of people to latch on to literally anything on social media and make it the greatest crime that has ever been perpetuated on humanity

Complaining about “twitter outrage mobs” when the reason they were mad at you is legitimate just makes you look like an idiot. Most “MeToo has gone too far!!!” takes willfully misrepresent what the actual consequences have been for most men called out, which is somewhere between gently caress and all. CK sexually harassed half a dozen women and is already making comedy again lmao.

When you get owned for being an rear end in a top hat you don’t get to turn around and say “man those people owning people online are so mean” and cry about it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t think you’re going to convince a guy like him LK.

But yeah, Aziz’s behavior is pretty common, ditto with the “instead of apologizing, I’ll double down on lovely behavior. Certainly this is a beneficial idea!” tactic. Check out local music scenes, they’re rife with it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's going to be so weird having a president that isn't an idiot manchild having constant meltdowns.

look at this optimist

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Lightning Knight posted:

Thanks I missed the random link. I agree that his attempt at a comeback is a bit tone deaf and he would have been better off trying to use his comedy to highlight the issue. I wasn't trying to derail the entire thread over Aziz Ansari, I just thought it was weird that I had missed multiple lovely Aziz Ansari PC police comedy specials or whatever.

teen witch posted:

I don’t think you’re going to convince a guy like him LK.

What the gently caress? Lol

Hey everyone I love rapes!!!!!!!!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
If anyone doubts the aziz story (which afaik he never even really denied), who the gently caress comes up with a story like that as their 'he sexually assaulted/harassed/crossed the gently caress out of my boundaries' story.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ascii genitals posted:

Thanks I missed the random link. I agree that his attempt at a comeback is a bit tone deaf and he would have been better off trying to use his comedy to highlight the issue. I wasn't trying to derail the entire thread over Aziz Ansari, I just thought it was weird that I had missed multiple lovely Aziz Ansari PC police comedy specials or whatever.

I don’t think it’s a derail, it’s fairly pertinent to American politics in the age of Trump.

Ansari is significant because it was a test of MeToo’s perceived legitimacy in the face of more mundane sexual misconduct. Would people support calling out something less obviously terrible but more common? I think the answer is no in the broad sense that Ansarigate wasn’t widely supported in the way other MeToo cases were, which is a shame.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

Complaining about “twitter outrage mobs” when the reason they were mad at you is legitimate just makes you look like an idiot. Most “MeToo has gone too far!!!” takes willfully misrepresent what the actual consequences have been for most men called out, which is somewhere between gently caress and all. CK sexually harassed half a dozen women and is already making comedy again lmao.

When you get owned for being an rear end in a top hat you don’t get to turn around and say “man those people owning people online are so mean” and cry about it.

Nah, there are degrees of severity. Or at least there should be, but social media (those Twitter mobs you speak of) completely tosses them out the window and makes Harvey Weinstein and Aziz Ansari equally repugnant.

And CK lost his show and was basically blacklisted from the industry. He's back to doing surprise shows at the Cellar. I agree, he should be busted back to doing shows in his mom's basement, but acting like there were no repercussions because "he's doing comedy again" is a little silly

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nah, there are degrees of severity. Or at least there should be, but social media (those Twitter mobs you speak of) completely tosses them out the window and makes Harvey Weinstein and Aziz Ansari equally repugnant.

And CK lost his show and was basically blacklisted from the industry. He's back to doing surprise shows at the Cellar. I agree, he should be busted back to doing shows in his mom's basement, but acting like there were no repercussions because "he's doing comedy again" is a little silly

Find me one actual specific case of “Twitter outrage mobs” going after someone who credibly didn’t do whatever they’re accused of. I’ll wait.

The only person I can think of right now who could make a credible case he got a raw deal in this kind of scenario is Keith Ellison and he hasn’t complained in public about it whatsoever because he’s actually good.

CK will have an actual comedy special or movie again by the end of 2020, and you know it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't think it's saying they're both equally repugnant but that we don't find actions repugnant that we should because of the certainly worse actions of someone like weinstein. i saw a number of people saying what's the big deal about what aziz did when they just saw it as "bad sex" (they didn't know all the details so they thought it was "just" that weird claw move he does) but it's silly to ignore that our culture conditions men and women to expect different things from sex and how unfair it is to women.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Find me one actual specific case of “Twitter outrage mobs” going after someone who credibly didn’t do whatever they’re accused of. I’ll wait.

The only person I can think of right now who could make a credible case he got a raw deal in this kind of scenario is Keith Ellison and he hasn’t complained in public about it whatsoever because he’s actually good.

CK will have an actual comedy special or movie again by the end of 2020, and you know it.

CK can do shows in the cellar but Christ he should wait like a loving decade before showing his face again. There are kids serving sentences longer for an oz of weed than his little “ok I’m not a creep anymore plz accept me society!!!!” schtick.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t think it’s a derail, it’s fairly pertinent to American politics in the age of Trump.

Ansari is significant because it was a test of MeToo’s perceived legitimacy in the face of more mundane sexual misconduct. Would people support calling out something less obviously terrible but more common? I think the answer is no in the broad sense that Ansarigate wasn’t widely supported in the way other MeToo cases were, which is a shame.

I mean I'd only call it mundane in the sense that he didn't violently overpower her and full murder-rape her, it's a pretty loving egregious account of him spending like an hour trying to gently caress a girl as she's actively trying to get away from him and giving off ridiculously clear body-language that she isn't interested.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The stupid gently caress contradicts himself within two sentences.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1079731986825134085

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Lightning Knight posted:

If you haven't read this book I recommend it https://www.amazon.com/So-Youve-Been-Publicly-Shamed/dp/1594634017

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Lightning Knight posted:

You don't think that the Ansari thing failed to take off because it was an anonymous magazine article without additional support or data points?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I mean I'd only call it mundane in the sense that he didn't violently overpower her and full murder-rape her, it's a pretty loving egregious account of him spending like an hour trying to gently caress a girl as she's actively trying to get away from him and giving off ridiculously clear body-language that she isn't interested.

It’s mundane in the sense that what Ansari did happens much more often and is more generally accepted than what Weinstein or CK did (and what they did happens far too commonly as it is).

^ I mean yes that was part of it.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

That isn't the point though. The point is that people treat every offense as nuclear as opposed to acting like one woman's account of a dude doing a gross thing is a tad different and less severe than an entire studio system built to not only protect but enable the head to abuse his power to rape scores of women.

Edit: Also your language is part of the problem itself. "credibly" what does that even mean in this scenario? One person said the thing happened. Another didn't. We should believe victims but that also doesn't mean a mob of hundreds of thousands needs to descend every time

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 31, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1079731279032172545

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
She's running.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1079733345842548736

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1079734167544438785

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

He doesnt know that congress is seating new members in two days. The leader of our government had no clue about how even a single part of it works.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

How does the Toxx thing fall on this? She didn't declare, but an exploratory commitee indicates intent. Can we discuss it?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

That isn't the point though. The point is that people treat every offense as nuclear as opposed to acting like one woman's account of a dude doing a gross thing is exactly the same as an entire studio system built to not only protect but enable the head to abuse his power to rape scores of women.

Edit: Also your language is part of the problem itself. "credibly" what does that even mean in this scenario? One person said the thing happened. Another didn't. We should believe victims but that also doesn't mean a mob of hundreds of thousands needs to descend every time

The fact that you won’t even offer an example of this supposed terrible outrage mob is telling in and of itself as to its actual power.

I even offered an example of what a person who credibly can claim they didn’t do what they’re accused of looks like. Ellison had his name dragged through the mud after he was accused - by right-wing activist groups, not the SJW twitter mob.

^ yeah that’s de facto announcing imo.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

For every legitimate case of shaming (like all the Barbeque Becky examples) you have another example teaching society that the way to teach people a modern lesson is to utterly destroy their career and personal life live on twitter. In a lot of these cases I feel no sympathy for the people who get shamed, but creating a whirlwind of public outrage as the modern stocks and pillory is inevitably going to come up against an innocent person.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

The fact that you won’t even offer an example of this supposed terrible outrage mob is telling in and of itself as to its actual power.

I even offered an example of what a person who credibly can claim they didn’t do what they’re accused of looks like. Ellison had his name dragged through the mud after he was accused - by right-wing activist groups, not the SJW twitter mob.

Yes, it's telling that it's wholly irrelevant to my point.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yes, it's telling that it's wholly irrelevant to my point.

You can’t claim there’s a vague twitter outrage mob unjustly ruining people’s lives and then not provide examples.

Like this is actual examples. I’ll have to buy the book of course but it’s an actual response.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Ha, what?

There's the lady who tried to make a joke about how being white protected her from AIDs who had her life destroyed. Sacco, from what I remember. There was even a thread about her here when she was the subject of the five minute hate. Then there are the two girls who posted pictures of themselves disobeying signs, had one taken out of context and had their lives hosed up. There are countless others who were chewed up and forgotten.

Jon Ronson had a book about it called "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" that is fascinating. One of the main ideas is that public shaming is such a horrifying punishment that basically every justice system has banned it. Also that the only folks targeted by it that thrive are the utterly shameless.

It's a good book. It might shake your faith in internet mobs as bringers if justice.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Lightning Knight posted:

Like this is actual examples. I’ll have to buy the book of course but it’s an actual response.

It is a really good book and is exactly what you're looking for, the audio book is also real good since... I mean, Jon Ronson.

The Justine Sacco AIDS joke is one of the central examples in the book. That could have happened to any number of SA posters. I agree--this book will likely temper your approval for mob twitter justice.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 31, 2018

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

You can’t claim there’s a vague twitter outrage mob unjustly ruining people’s lives and then not provide examples.

You are talking about people who are totally innocent of any wrongdoing or even accusations.

I am talking about people who are guilty or at least not-provably innocent of wrongdoing.

We are talking about different things. I am not going to give an example of the thing you are talking about because I don't care and it's not what I am talking about. I am talking about how the severity scale of Twitter mob's outrage goes from 1-100 but the only settings people use are 95-100 and that IS an issue

ascii genitals posted:

It is a really good book and is exactly what you're looking for, the audio book is also real good since... I mean, Jon Ronson.

The Justine Sacco AIDS joke is one of the central examples in the book.

I thought of this example and almost offered it, but it doesn't fit LK's criteria of "Not guilty." She made the joke, thus she deserved everything she got under his stated philosophy

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gently caress. This was written back in October? I could’ve sworn this was from a year and a half ago. This time dilation is real. :negative:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ascii genitals posted:

The Justine Sacco AIDS joke is one of the central examples in the book. That could have happened to any number of SA posters. I agree--this book will likely temper your approval for mob twitter justice.

I’m adding it to my Amazon list, I’ll probably get it sometime in the next few months. If I remember I’ll let you know what I think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lightning Knight posted:

Like ntthis is actual examples. I’ll have to buy the book of course but it’s an actual response.
He has published extracts from it previously.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/LuxAlptraum/status/1079583677439459329

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Example of twitter mob naming and shaming some innocent people: https://twitter.com/search?q=gatwick+drone+couple

and because this happened in the UK, you know who was involved.