Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Any rpg that let's me skip the awful find 3 ghosts quest is a winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Plutonis posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

joke: Eberron in the Infinity engine

broke: Eberron in the NWN engine

woke: Eberron in the PoE engine

bespoke: Eberron in the Clausewitz engine

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

First step on this world conquest is converting the Quori to Blood of Vol religion and gnomish culture.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The tipping point of where Pathfinder finally overtook 4th Edition, was after 4th Edition's Essentials line of books came out. Essentials represented a 180-degree turn on 4th Edition's design, where under the leadership of Mike Mearls, most of the game took on a veneer of being more like 3rd Edition, where the martial classes have far fewer powers, where the Wizard can swap spells willy-nilly, where treasure tables were randomly rolled again, and healing potions completely undermined the entire Healing Surge concept.

It seems like the goal was to "win back" people who were playing either 3rd Edition or Pathfinder, but people who were already doing that were so sour on the idea of 4th Edition that this was a pandering ploy that didn't work, and in the meanwhile people who already liked 4th Edition for what it was were frustrated at the sharp divergence. Combine this with retailers getting scared off by a repeat of the 3.0-to-3.5 fiasco, and you finally see Pathfinder overtake 4th Edition (in a single retail poll) in the early 2010's.

Funny thing is that this still resulted in some good content, the Executioner is considered an all round improved Assassin and the Monster Vault, hard as it is to find legally, is a must-have.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it would've been more impressive if the executioner wasn't a better assassin, 'cause drat was that thing a mess

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kurieg posted:

I mean, Forgotten Realms is basically the only place where Clerics Must get their power from a god. It's also the place where both Druids and Rangers also get their powers from their gods, and not Nature. The 3.5 books stated obliquely that you didn't really need to worship a god to get your divine power, you just needed to get your DM to sign off on your domains.

The only class that absolutely had to have a God to Follow was the Divine Mind, and literally no one cares about that.

The Realms are the place where being an atheist meant the God of the Dead stuck your soul in a wall to scream forever.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

joke: Eberron in the Infinity engine

broke: Eberron in the NWN engine

woke: Eberron in the PoE engine

bespoke: Eberron in Genesis Rom hack of Shining Force II

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

The other ones I can agree with, but Eberron's always been pretty popular. It had a lot of material in 3e that's still mostly relevant setting-wise even now, had a couple books in 4e, and there's the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron for 5e. That, and D&DO is set in Eberron, for what that's worth.

So... you're agreeing with me? Tons of 3e books, a couple 4e books, now in 5e a 175-page PDF-only treatment? That's not the pattern of growing popularity.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's a pattern of a parent company losing interest, really.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I picked up a copy of that big D&D art book that released a while back and was disappointed to see that the 4E section took the whole 4E did bad and Pathfinder ate their lunch thing as an unexamined truth.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

homullus posted:

So... you're agreeing with me? Tons of 3e books, a couple 4e books, now in 5e a 175-page PDF-only treatment? That's not the pattern of growing popularity.

I'd consider a dedicated book better than a cursory treatment. Spelljammer getting a couple of mentions here and there in 4e is a cursory treatment.

moths posted:

It's a pattern of a parent company losing interest, really.

More like Mearls not giving a poo poo about it, probably. Dude's pretty groggy overall.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Slimnoid posted:

I'd consider a dedicated book better than a cursory treatment. Spelljammer getting a couple of mentions here and there in 4e is a cursory treatment.
Spelljammer had a dedicated book in 4e though. The problem is more that they did the smart thing and rewrote the premise because of redundancy and how pointless it was.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Liquid Communism posted:

The Realms are the place where being an atheist meant the God of the Dead stuck your soul in a wall to scream forever.

Extremely metal. :black101:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nessus posted:

On the other hand, Warframe would be a pretty bomb-rear end setting for a sci-fantasy RPG, even if the players weren't tennos

I'm strongly considering running a Warframe game in Fragged Empire, but I don't have the actual play experience with Fragged Empire to say with confidence whether FE PCs are powerful enough to feel like warframes or if it would make more sense for the pitch to be "okay, you're a ragtag group of Grineer deserters, Corpus heretics, and members of the various smaller factions." Sort of the Rogue Trader to Warframe's 40k, if you will.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
If only Banpresto could've inscrutably gotten in on the action as Capcom did brawler-wise back in the day with some cross universe (S)RPG mashup goodness.

Mystara/Eberron/Birthright/Dark Sun/Spelljammer/etc woven into the greatest, terrifying tapestry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How was the Eberron 4E book(s)?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

good but mostly the same as the first 3e books on it, so not super essential if you've already got those

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm strongly considering running a Warframe game in Fragged Empire, but I don't have the actual play experience with Fragged Empire to say with confidence whether FE PCs are powerful enough to feel like warframes or if it would make more sense for the pitch to be "okay, you're a ragtag group of Grineer deserters, Corpus heretics, and members of the various smaller factions." Sort of the Rogue Trader to Warframe's 40k, if you will.

Almost certainly the latter. FE could in theory support it, and it wouldn't be too hard of a mechanical shift - the gearing certainly works for taking base weapons and adding mods, and the gear/talents separation could reflect Warframe/Tenno powers pretty nicely; but it would basically require a full treatment of inventing balanced Warframes, probably as superpowerful unique armors with their own 3-5 special effects (depending how you want to translate their powers and passives), changing up the psionics from FE's fairly restricted themes of space warping/time warping/brain warping to the five disciplines of Tenno powers, and then figuring out the new enemy balance.

In short, very doable in Fragged * engine, but closer to making a new Fragged * game. Whereas a simple reskin of Fragged Empire by itself would be fine and dandy for a "you're a Red Veil Operative, Steel Meridian Soldier, Ostron hunter, and Solaris United mechanic, fighting the overwhelming forces of Corpus, Grineer, and Infested while the Tenno do their crazy space ninja poo poo elsewhere."

E: also in power levels, FE characters are definitely closer to the mooks. You can get maimed (although not killed) very easily in one bad round, and you're encouraged to move tactically and make careful use of cover at all times. Enemy squads with automatic weapons are murderous against anyone in the open with less than the best armor money can buy (stuff vastly out of the purchasing power of a starting PC).

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Spelljammer had a dedicated book in 4e though. The problem is more that they did the smart thing and rewrote the premise because of redundancy and how pointless it was.

What book is this? I remember there was a Spelljammer ship as a magic item in one of the artifact books but not a setting book.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I maintain that 4e's mechanics would make for a terrible video game, just like the mechanics of literally every other tabletop game ever (see Baldur's Gate). You could definitely make it into a solid SRPG with a little effort, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

homullus posted:

You're putting the emphasis on the wrong part. A setting that isn't FR got a dedicated book in 5e, the edition of published adventures and adventure player's guides.

That's loving huge.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

homullus posted:

I mean, but as a percentage of all of 5E books, my gut is Eberron is exactly where it was. On phone, but I'll do the math on my laptop.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Elephant Parade posted:

I maintain that 4e's mechanics would make for a terrible video game, just like the mechanics of literally every other tabletop game ever (see Baldur's Gate). You could definitely make it into a solid SRPG with a little effort, though.

SRPGs are in fact video games

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It basically took the best of Eberron's 3.5 implementation and edited it into two books that weren't overrun with prestige classes and actually fit better with Eberron's themes than 3e. In other words if you're system-agnostic, 4e Eberron's the best Eberron, but if you're either a 3.X fan or already have a collection of Eberron's sourcebooks it's not really worth getting.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Andrast posted:

SRPGs are in fact video games
I know; should've been clearer about what I meant. What I was saying is that you could base an SRPG on 4e, but it'd require more than just, like, digitizing its mechanics the way Baldur's Gate did. You'd need to tone down the randomness (most notably increasing the hit rate, because missing in video games is geberakky super boring), among other things.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Baldur's gate was the result of a baffling decision to stick real-time gameplay onto a turn-based system though using the flimsy justification of "one round is six seconds" in ad&d. It's not a straight adaptation of the tabletop rules.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

andrew smash posted:

Baldur's gate was the result of a baffling decision to stick real-time gameplay onto a turn-based system though using the flimsy justification of "one round is six seconds" in ad&d. It's not a straight adaptation of the tabletop rules.
That was also hella dumb, but making it turn-based wouldn't have fixed much.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Elephant Parade posted:

Being turn-based would have made it about a billion times better (and it wouldn't have infected crpgs with awful rtwp systems for years to come)

or just deleting the combat altogether

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 31, 2018

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Elephant Parade posted:

Hard disagree. I like baldur's gate anyway, but if you find d&d combat enjoyable at all playing it as a crappy mini-RTS is much worse than just playing as intended.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Elephant Parade posted:

we already know it would have, because the Gold Box games did it and were much better off for it

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"Real-time" was a hot buzzword at the time thanks to the real-time strategy trend dominating PC gaming at the time. While it didn't age well, it was a natural result of where computer gaming was back then.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Andrast posted:

Being turn-based would have it about a billion times better (and it wouldn't have infected crpgs with awful rtwp systems for years to come)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The best part is how they added 'cosmetic' melee swings that had absolutely no chance to hit to fill time.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

neonchameleon posted:

It basically took the best of Eberron's 3.5 implementation and edited it into two books that weren't overrun with prestige classes and actually fit better with Eberron's themes than 3e. In other words if you're system-agnostic, 4e Eberron's the best Eberron, but if you're either a 3.X fan or already have a collection of Eberron's sourcebooks it's not really worth getting.

The only downside of the 4e Eberron books is they came out before the Dark Sun ones because the themes rules created for Dark Sun fit dragonmarks perfectly and instead dragonmarks were kind of bungled and left weirdly vague.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Andrast posted:

Being turn-based would have made it about a billion times better (and it wouldn't have infected crpgs with awful rtwp systems for years to come)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Night10194 posted:

The best part is how they added 'cosmetic' melee swings that had absolutely no chance to hit to fill time.

Yeah that confused the poo poo out of me when I was 12 and when I finally realized what was happening I was so pissed

Andrast posted:

This, honestly. I really liked Pillars of Eternity and Deadfire but comparing their combat to the divinity original sin games is just rough. I'm really bummed I didn't get to try the Deadfire turn based mode prototype that snuck out in a patch before obsidian realized and yanked it.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 31, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

andrew smash posted:

Yeah that confused the poo poo out of me when I was 12 and when I finally realized what was happening I was so pissed

I used to think ranged weapons were just super, super accurate compared to melee because of it.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

The only downside of the 4e Eberron books is they came out before the Dark Sun ones because the themes rules created for Dark Sun fit dragonmarks perfectly and instead dragonmarks were kind of bungled and left weirdly vague.

That actually brings me to another question: is the 4E Dark Sun campaign setting worth seeking out for someone who is Dark Sun-curious but has never touched the 2E stuff?

I hate myself because I traded away my 4E Eberron book to the used bookstore when I meant to trade in the 3.5 one. I went back a few months later and looked for it but someone bought it. :(

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mike Danger posted:

That actually brings me to another question: is the 4E Dark Sun campaign setting worth seeking out for someone who is Dark Sun-curious but has never touched the 2E stuff?

All the 4E Dark Sun material is top-notch, if you can get it I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mike Danger posted:

I hate myself because I traded away my 4E Eberron book to the used bookstore when I meant to trade in the 3.5 one. I went back a few months later and looked for it but someone bought it. :(

Yes, absolutely. The 4E stuff isn't just a good take on Dark Sun, it also coincides with the time period where they started fixing the combat math, and introduced a bunch of optional rules that were really good for the game in general.