Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Samsung is currently marketing a tv designed to show artwork when it’s turned off. I’d see what she thinks of that before dealing with projection.

This is very interesting! But lack of OLED rules it out for me. Perhaps that's a technical limitation for power use in art mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Get a surplus overhead projector and hire someone to doodle on a transparency.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

If she’s intent on having lights dancing on the wall, an ultra short throw projector might give you more placement options.

disco mirror ball

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Baronjutter posted:

She got excited at all the houses that have Christmas projectors adding dancing lights and shits to the facades of buildings.

Lifehack: haul that thing out of storage in the summer, and (at night, obviously) point it straight up into the canopy of a huge tree. The complex surface made by all the leaves makes it look really cool and 3D. (At least, if it's the kind that just does dots. The ones that show drifting santas and snowflakes would probably look like crap.) Makes a hell of a decoration at a barbecue, or if you go camping someplace within range of a power outlet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

excuse me this isn't the exterior decoration thread

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

excuse me this isn't the exterior decoration thread

we're all like, IN the world, man

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I have to admit, an underground house sorta makes sense for Wisconsin. It's gotta help with the energy bills in the winter, yeah?

https://www.edinarealty.com/homes-for-sale/n8064-975th-street-river-falls-wi-54022-5016012#/

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I have to admit, an underground house sorta makes sense for Wisconsin. It's gotta help with the energy bills in the winter, yeah?

https://www.edinarealty.com/homes-for-sale/n8064-975th-street-river-falls-wi-54022-5016012#/

Ugh, those internal walls all need to be smoothed off, made square / rounded as appropriate and plastered. Horrific. I don’t see any beauty or craftwork in the raw materials here, so cover them FFS.

Or alternatively just paint everything flesh-pink and make the house into an educational journey through the body of a giant.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I hope you like ribbed concrete, because that's what you're getting in every single room!

Also, two bedrooms, two baths, 2236 square feet. Who the hell is this house made for?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Also, two bedrooms, two baths, 2236 square feet. Who the hell is this house made for?
People who like huge bedrooms I’d guess. They’re 27x22 and 28x22. Two 600 sqft bedrooms.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Whoever built, designed, or commissioned that house has a poo poo ton of 1970s high-concept sci-fi in their library, guaranteed. Better than 50/50 they have owned a lute.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
If that place was closer to Road America I’d buy it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

It's a hobbit hole! :3: I genuinely love houses like this but this is the least cosy one I've seen. It looks positively cavernous.

Also, paint. So much stark white. For whatever reason, white interiors in these houses is just the worst. They are houses that need colour. Bare minimum, a warm neutral.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
it's white to maximize the limited natural light.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

Also, paint. So much stark white. For whatever reason, white interiors in these houses is just the worst. They are houses that need colour. Bare minimum, a warm neutral.

Like a milky blue..

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
It's not bad if you're into living in Moby Dick's alimentary tract.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It's not bad if you're into living in Moby Dick's alimentary tract.

if you're into that you'll have a whale of a time in this house

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I hope you like ribbed concrete, because that's what you're getting in every single room!

hippie swingers

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

People who like huge bedrooms I’d guess. They’re 27x22 and 28x22. Two 600 sqft bedrooms.

lmao wtc

edit: barracks???

peanut fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 1, 2019

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I think it’s beautiful, honestly.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I found it. The boob light to end all boob lights.

It even has a sort of skin texture if you get in close...

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is very interesting! But lack of OLED rules it out for me. Perhaps that's a technical limitation for power use in art mode?

Displays with an "art mode" (which have been around for like 5 years with many manufacturers doing it) dim the back lighting in cheap models and turn it off with a secondary smaller light source in better ones. OLED does not use any back lighting which is why you don't see the feature.

You can get a short throw projector that can be placed right up against the wall.
Laser projectors will have less of a bleed effect from the light source in unused areas.
Anything over 2000/2500 lumens will look fine in normal overhead lighting but all projectors will be completely washed out in sunlight.
If you just want static images or rotating images you can look into GOBO projectors (which is the tech used in the christmas projectors).
If you want really fancy, LightForm is a new projection mapping company that is unbelievably cheap, but probably not suited for a novice.

Any which way you go your looking at a minimum $2k for the setup, you will need a projector, media player, and content creation.

I do this poo poo for a living and have seen and played with it all.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

I found it. The boob light to end all boob lights.

It even has a sort of skin texture if you get in close...

thats a bougie condom

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

underage at the vape shop posted:

thats a bougie condom

Looks like it's just my size

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

underage at the vape shop posted:

thats a bougie condom

There's more than one!

I'm actually really digging the diaphragm lights, except for the horrible fleshy color. Wish I could look at it up close and see if that could be changed.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's really more of a nipple light.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's really more of a nipple light.

More of a.. bud light?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Habitat Re-Stores are killin it w the vintage furnishings

http://restore.habitatebsv.org/shop/in-stores-now/
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/fud/d/santa-clara-f0367-coffee-table-trunk/6772997507.html

etc!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
So, I have a bunch of artwork that I need to get framed. It'll be around 20 pieces total. Some are brand-new prints in perfect condition, but some of it is original family artwork that is in slightly rough shape from, well, not being framed for 20+ years. I also have this crazy dyed fabric piece I bought in Malawi; that one I'm thinking of not getting framed at all and just finding a way to hang it as-is.

I've never gotten anything framed before: how should I go about this? I've always heard that framing is just absurdly expensive. I'm sure DIY would be the most affordable approach, but I really want to get these done at least decently well and I'm a complete gently caress-up when it comes to that stuff.

Should I be going to a Joann's Fabrics or Michael's? Or are those considered jokes and a framing store is a necessity? Am I going to be on the hook for $100+ per piece no matter what?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost a year and a half into owning my home and I don't have anything hanged in my home in large part because I've been stuck on this (the other half is that I'm terrified to put holes in my walls).

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

surf rock posted:

So, I have a bunch of artwork that I need to get framed. It'll be around 20 pieces total. Some are brand-new prints in perfect condition, but some of it is original family artwork that is in slightly rough shape from, well, not being framed for 20+ years. I also have this crazy dyed fabric piece I bought in Malawi; that one I'm thinking of not getting framed at all and just finding a way to hang it as-is.

I've never gotten anything framed before: how should I go about this? I've always heard that framing is just absurdly expensive. I'm sure DIY would be the most affordable approach, but I really want to get these done at least decently well and I'm a complete gently caress-up when it comes to that stuff.

Should I be going to a Joann's Fabrics or Michael's? Or are those considered jokes and a framing store is a necessity? Am I going to be on the hook for $100+ per piece no matter what?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost a year and a half into owning my home and I don't have anything hanged in my home in large part because I've been stuck on this (the other half is that I'm terrified to put holes in my walls).

There was a framing place being advertised on podcasts - framebridge, no idea if they’re any good but somewhere to start looking?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Framing that many pieces is going to be a 4-digit price tag.

As for the aged pieces, there’s an option called dry mounting where they use an adhesive board and press the piece on nice and smooth with something vaguely akin to a laminator. I had an old vintage poster on some really heavy card stock that had been waaaaay too tightly rolled. I had them dry mount it and then frame that and it turned out beautifully. That option didn’t cost much beyond the normal framing. Be advised, dry mounting is a permanent thing and does technically devalue the piece a bit, so if it’s an original that you want to preserve at maximum value, don’t do this. But if you just want it to look nice for sentimental value, go nuts.

Hobby Lobby is also a perfectly fine place to get stuff framed.

It’s a long shot, but roughly where are you?

e: For reference, here’s the poster in question. You can still see the creases, they’ll never go away, but you have to get very close and even when you do, they’re not prominent at all. All hail dry mounting for damaged pieces.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 13, 2019

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm in the Indianapolis area; I do also have a Hobby Lobby in relatively close range. Also, dang, I was afraid it would be that expensive.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Whew, framing. Two immediate things:

1) It can be extremely expensive; my first 'serious' piece I went to a big time shop that has videos of them making all the custom gold sculpted frames and whatnot and it was about $350 for the one. I'm still glad I did it, but yea, trying to DIY now.

2) Archival DIY framing/restoration/art maintenance is a rabbit hole pretty much as deep as your interest.

Basically, the industry has learned a shitload about paper and art maintenance over the past few decades. I had a great-uncle (died 1981) who was an artist, and was actually just looking at some of his things, some of which are currently piled together in a makeshift cardboard folder. We now know that normal corrugated cardboard is acidic, so it's slowly discoloring anything in that pile it's touching. The same goes for wood backings, cheap/old mats, adhesives, and practically everything else used in either cheap or old framing. You can see it all the time if you look at old prints or other paper art: a brown ring around the edge from mat burn, the same on the back from bad backing materials, and fading from no UV protection.

Part of the sticker shock of getting things professionally done, then, is that they are hopefully using stuff like rag mat board, acid-free foam board, UV protective glass, acid free adhesives, etc. Even then, cheaper places will be cutting corners - after the $350 shock of that first job we went to a cheaper place and got something back that was secured into its mat with regular old masking tape.

So this all makes it complicated for a full DIYer, because it's a lot of expensive stuff you need to research and find (much of it is hard to get on Amazon, gotta go to specialized places), including a chunk for at least one piece of hardware (a mat cutter).

A couple pieces of advice, then:

-Make some decisions on the value of the 20 pieces, both sentimental and monetary. The problems I've discussed above usually don't show up for decades, so putting the time/money into it only makes sense for things you want to pass on and/or care about maintaining the value of far down the road. Unless you've got money to burn, no sense spending hundreds of dollars archival framing a common movie poster, for instance.

-For things that you are worried about, a "middle of the road" DIY approach would be to get quality mats and backing boards cut to size and the art secured in them professionally - this step:

But then source the frames and do final assembly yourself. Frame quality is less important if the art is insulated and only touching the acid-free mat, so frame be where I would (and plan to) cut costs.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

surf rock posted:

I'm in the Indianapolis area; I do also have a Hobby Lobby in relatively close range. Also, dang, I was afraid it would be that expensive.

A big chain is fine, but check reviews for specific locations first in case it's a bad shop. You can also put stuff in cheap or thrifted frames for now and slowly get them professionally done over time. That way you get art on your walls without spending $3000 all at once for every piece.

As for hanging your fabric you can 1. just use push pins or nails to attach it directly to the wall, 2. treat it like a curtain and sew in a pocket for a rod, 3. stretch it around a canvas so it becomes a painting. The big issue with not framing it is going to be sun damage and dust, so keep it away from windows and take it down to wash every once in a while.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Depending on what kind of fabric thing it is there are also various types of quilt/tapestry hangers available online that are cheap and would minimize damage and strain on the piece.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

surf rock posted:

I'm in the Indianapolis area;

Bummer, it was close. If you were in Iowa, I would offer my shop. My glass and mat cutting isn't up and running yet (although they're on the short list) but I have a pneumatic v-nailer that works great, and that would have gotten you a big chunk of the way there on the cheap.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Since there was interest in the fabric piece, I took a photo from the side to give a better sense of what I'm talking about :

I also took photos of a couple of my mom's art pieces to show what I mean by damage. Here's one that's in the worst shape, I would say:

Here's the largest piece, about a foot and a half wide and two feet long:

Thank you for your advice!

there wolf posted:

A big chain is fine, but check reviews for specific locations first in case it's a bad shop. You can also put stuff in cheap or thrifted frames for now and slowly get them professionally done over time. That way you get art on your walls without spending $3000 all at once for every piece.

That seems like really wise advice, thank you. Maybe I should prioritize getting my mom's artwork professionally framed before it gets damaged further...

Bad Munki posted:

Bummer, it was close. If you were in Iowa, I would offer my shop. My glass and mat cutting isn't up and running yet (although they're on the short list) but I have a pneumatic v-nailer that works great, and that would have gotten you a big chunk of the way there on the cheap.

Thanks for the kind thought, regardless!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 13, 2019

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

surf rock posted:

Since there was interest in the fabric piece, I took a photo from the side to give a better sense of what I'm talking about :

Oh, it's a batik panel. Those can fray pretty badly on the edges when the the wax starts to rub off. You'll want to either sew up or glue the edges to something to prevent that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm also trying to hang/frame a Kenya souvenir print similar to that . I'm worried about the wax and pigments staining the wall, but none of the standard frames in cheapo shops will fit. First I'm gonna sew it to a big piece of plastic cardboard, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Custom framing is expensive, but if art pieces are standard dimensions or can fit into off the shelf frames with a custom matte, that’s not super expensive. I don’t know about hobby lobby but michaels frames are fairly cheap and I’m sure it’s the same stuff. Or you can order a frame from amazon and have a piece of glass cut for it.