Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Was watching some old Heroes vs. Villains clips on youtube and totally forgot about pre-game Sugar and JT

http://screenertv.com/news-features/survivor-hero-sugar-jt-slept-with-me-pregame-and-told-me-wed-stick-together/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I’m surprised that Aubry signed up for round three after the mess that was Game Changers. I don’t think any of the players had anything positive to say about that season.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Dugong posted:

I’m surprised that Aubry signed up for round three after the mess that was Game Changers. I don’t think any of the players had anything positive to say about that season.

It kind of makes me wonder why that season had such a bad vibe. Like nobody was having any fun, and it shows, and that's not always the case with all star seasons. Cambodia was fun! So who brought the bad juju? Who killed the vibe? Who killed Game Changers? :iiam:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Spergatory posted:

It kind of makes me wonder why that season had such a bad vibe. Like nobody was having any fun, and it shows, and that's not always the case with all star seasons. Cambodia was fun! So who brought the bad juju? Who killed the vibe? Who killed Game Changers? :iiam:

the only two moments i can remember from that season offhand were the zeke/varner thing and the legacy advantage (and tai doing... something?)

not a strong entry in the canon, that's for sure

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Even if it's a little weird, there is something genuinely romantic to me about how Rob and Amber got together. Like their first real experience as a couple was to starve together on an island for 39 days. They were filthy, they probably stank, and they still couldn't keep their hands off each other. There's just something kind of heartwarming about two people falling in love in extreme circumstances, when they are physically disgusting and emotionally compromised by a cutthroat game, and still being in love after it's all over. They saw each other at their worst, and still they both collectively said "yeah, that's what I'm looking for. Count me the gently caress in." It's nice. :unsmith:

I agree, though I kind of would expect it more often but they're basically the only long lasting couple to come from the show.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Was watching some old Heroes vs. Villains clips on youtube and totally forgot about pre-game Sugar and JT

http://screenertv.com/news-features/survivor-hero-sugar-jt-slept-with-me-pregame-and-told-me-wed-stick-together/

How often do players fraternize before the game starts? I assume all-star seasons are a bit different, but do first time contestants ever try to make deals or plans before starting?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Khanstant posted:

I agree, though I kind of would expect it more often but they're basically the only long lasting couple to come from the show.

Keith and Whitney from South Pacific got together and were on TAR as a couple. Not sure what became of them afterwards.

Spergatory posted:

I think it was just the high stress of people wanting to prove themselves. Also, all the people that genuinely seemed to be having fun (Sandra, Malcolm, Tony) all got taken out premerge.

It is still kinda weird that the season with Brandon and Phillip and Corrine seemed more high energy than Game Changers. Even Tai looked beaten down. Andrea played on both Caramoan and Game Changers and left the former in a much better mood.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Keith and Whitney from South Pacific got together and were on TAR as a couple. Not sure what became of them afterwards.

quote:

"Duncan is a first cousin of Holly Bobo, the Parsons, Tennessee murder victim.[8]

Duncan married musician Donny Fallgatter on August 1, 2010, in Gatlinburg, Tennessee after two months of dating.[9] The couple's divorce was granted in November 2011.[9] She became engaged to Keith Tollefson on February 14, 2013. The two had begun a relationship on their season of Survivor. In May 2014, Duncan appeared on TLC's Say Yes to the Dress, where she chose a wedding dress for her forthcoming nuptials to Tollefson.[10] The two of them were married in July 2014.[11]"

Looks like they're still together, but they've got quite a few years to catch up on or divorce over.

Brandon Hantz sucks, y'all were right, not entertaining. How to make a worse Russell? Take Russell and throw in jesus and take away the balls.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Erik and Jaime from China got together during their season and are still going strong, as are the aforementioned Keith and Whitney. There's also Parvati and Fincher, though obviously they met after their seasons and never actually played together. And they're not still together, but Ethan and Jenna lasted like ten years before they finally called it quits.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You just reminded me that Ethan and Jenna were on TAR together (lasting only two episodes). That was two years before they broke up. Also wow that was in 2011 and I feel a little old now.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Khanstant posted:

How often do players fraternize before the game starts? I assume all-star seasons are a bit different, but do first time contestants ever try to make deals or plans before starting?
They aren't allowed to speak to each other, but they make a lot of eye contact and judgements of each other in the pregame area.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Khanstant posted:

Who was the music man beard oil guy from a couple seasons ago? He learned enough in casting about James Lin to doxx him online, learn as much as he could about him, and try to use that to influence him once the game started.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Jacob, I think.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Jacob Derwin, and the hilarious thing is it backfired completely, because he didn't say that was what he did, so to James it seemed like Jacob was just guessing all this poo poo about him, which completely sketched him out and made him want to vote Jacob out even more.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jacob is the most marvelous trainwreck of a superfan ever.

Really his very short lived saga was one of the few good things about Ghost Island.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This season 23 has been pretty boring so far, but this sloppy challenge is fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIM-epESrMs

Do they ever repeat this one? They've kind of stopped doing gross out challenges in general, but this felt like a nice middle ground. The food was delicious, what they had to do was hilarious and yucky.

edit:

Jesus Christ season 24, trading tribal immunity away essentially because Colton is a bad person mad on their own tiny hit of power? Actually good lord this whole tribal. Old man goes on "tired of talking about race" rant, mentions Obama.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 2, 2019

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm assuming two tribes with one male and one female on each

There are definitely spoilers about the gimmick and season out there. A co-worker of mine told me how the extinction island gimmick works (he asked me if I wanted to know first) so be careful while looking for stuff. I generally just avoid everything that isn't from here or reddit (their mods are super strict about spoilers)
I think we've discussed that stuff in these threads before, in spoiler tags. Like stuff that's just mechanics/theme/cast and not boot order/winners/etc

Khanstant posted:

Jesus Christ season 24, trading tribal immunity away essentially because Colton is a bad person mad on their own tiny hit of power? Actually good lord this whole tribal. Old man goes on "tired of talking about race" rant, mentions Obama.
I really think trading away tribal immunity is the dumbest thing to ever happen on Survivor, and that men's tribe was such a disaster in such a bad way.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Nick's RHAP interview is up. Dude seems to have a pretty accurate view of the highs and lows of his game. Some interesting tidbits:
  • Nick had the Vote Steal at the Elizabeth vote, even though they showed him finding it later. If he had known his hand was going to be forced when it was, he would've used it right then and there, but he still thought tribal lines could be blurred.
  • Gabby actually independently figured out the clue to where the vote steal was hidden just a little too late to actually find it, and Nick had to go help her "look" for it to maintain his cover.
  • Supposedly he gave some pretty great voting confessionals that they couldn't air because they were either A, spoilers, or B, inside jokes based on things that the audience probably wouldn't get. His confessional for the John vote was a whole pro-wrestling bit where he did an impression of Hulk Hogan and Macho Man Randy Savage and even flicked a toothpick at the camera as a shout out to some other wrestler. His and John's alliance was the Torch Snuffers, which they envisioned as the name of their wrestling tag team.
  • Post-game, he recognizes Mike as the biggest Goliath Strong cheerleader, but in the game, he was most annoyed with Alison, which is part of the reason he stole her vote. He enjoyed trolling people in general maybe just a little too much, which is why he kind of hammed it up at tribal council sometimes, ie; saying "now what?" at the John vote when he knows drat well what's about to happen.
  • During the six hour challenge, he started asking Jeff about former players and whether or not they could return, and got some pretty straightforward answers... that he isn't willing to share, because he doesn't want the show or Jeff to get mad at him. Apparently there is at least one player who got a big "Yes" that was a surprise to him, but it doesn't sound like it was a good surprise.
  • Nick confessed everything to Davie after Mike told him about the plan to eliminate him. He only wanted to vote Davie out for about five seconds before he came to his senses.
  • Part of the reason he ultimately played his idol that night was because Davie said to him "we should both play our idols tonight and start with a clean slate." Davie, of course, did not tell him that his idol had to be played that night, the little scamp.
  • He could've voted out Christian or Alison at the Christian vote, and had Christian not lied to his face just before tribal council, he would've voted out Alison. He realizes now that voting out Christian gave Mike a little too much power, but he could just no longer trust Christian.
  • Supposedly, he was holding back in the immunity challenges and "turned on the afterburners" at the endgame. He seemed like he was going to give specific examples of the different ways he tanked various challenges, but Rob cut him off because he doesn't care that much about challenges I guess?
  • Even though he was upset about it at the time, he acknowledges now that Davie getting voted out without him being involved was actually a huge boon for his game, as it not only means he doesn't have to sit next to Davie, but it also puts a giant cheerleader for him in the jury house with enough time to actually influence things.
  • He was pretty sure he won shortly after the finale. There was a brief period where he thought there was a chance he and Mike might have tied, but then he saw the Ghost Island finale and was like "oh, no, I definitely won then."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What about the Ghost Island finale made him think he won?

edit: I'm going to listen to this later. I don't know why I'm asking!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zesty posted:

Well, the GI finale showed him what would've happened if it was a tie, and since that didn't happen, and since a tie was the absolute most votes he could envision Mike getting... :toot:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

I think we've discussed that stuff in these threads before, in spoiler tags. Like stuff that's just mechanics/theme/cast and not boot order/winners/etc

I really think trading away tribal immunity is the dumbest thing to ever happen on Survivor, and that men's tribe was such a disaster in such a bad way.

Yeah, this season is whack so far. The dude tribe just sucks, not in the entertaining way. Then the worst dude gets medivac'd out, so we never even got to see him have to eat the poo poo sandwich he'd been building. I don't know what internet era this season took place in, but I hope Colton got a good dressing down from the internet masses for being such a turdman. Actually, I know it had to be at least somewhat in the twitter era because Tarzan did some Obama rant.

Jay isn't someone I like, but I like when he talks because it sounds like they raised the pitch on his voice or something.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 3, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If it helps, the internet hated Colton too. And Alicia.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I played a couple games with Colton. He seemed nice in a neutral setting.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zesty posted:

Ghost Island jury vote was a tie and Jeff read the votes right then and there on the island before making Laurel cast the tiebreaking vote, and then taking that one to the finale

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

curiousCat posted:

I played a couple games with Colton. He seemed nice in a neutral setting.

Do you, too, have a black friend?

Edit: to not sound so pedantic. His overt racism is the main reason people dislike him, not calling you a racist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"I don't know what's in his heart."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you don't know what's in someone's heart, you just gotta judge them by their words and actions.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be clear, I think Colton is a disgusting racist piece of poo poo.

I was just being snarky.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Colton is too rich to be a nice human being hth

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If I ever won Survivor I'd be worried it would qualify me as a rich person who should be beheaded by my own standards, a million bucks is like 40 years of work and there's no way I'm being alive for 40 more drat years.

edit: Season 24, just voted out the last dude so it's a bunch of people I don't like and Christina. Unless she gets final 3 this season is a ZzZ for me. In retrospect I wish Colton had stuck around longer as the evil poo poo stirrer.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 4, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The most unforgivable thing Colton did was bail on the game before we could see him get any sort of comeuppance. He doesn't get voted out, he doesn't get ripped to shreds at the final tribal council. There's no satisfying resolution to his storyline at all. He's just "Ooh, look at me, I'm so evil. Ooh, my tummy hurts. Bye!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Twice. The rear end in a top hat was brought back and quit a second loving time and didn't even have the common decency to pretend he was sick.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Man, the weight loss for anyone who goes through the majority of the game is brutal.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

Man, the weight loss for anyone who goes through the majority of the game is brutal.

Didn't Davie say he kept losing weight after the game?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That post was only a couple days ago, so sounds like it yeah.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Where are his shoes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
is he on one of those weird new star trek series??

edit:

Season 25. Dawson is the only player who knows this one guy is a famous baseball boy, she teases him a bit at camp, but never actually tells him she knows to try and use it to forge an alliance or anything. She doesn't expose him when she gets voted off but mentions in her confessional that the baseball guy owes her as a joke.

I'm finding I really don't like the quitters, it throws too much of the game into luck territory. Chick in this season is hurting but isn't medivac'd but still leaves and it seems like it's already heavily influencing the game.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 5, 2019

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
It looks like he had the same kind of thing Tony did with some major bacteria that kept loving him up after the game.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Nah, I'll defend Dana and hold her up as proof that Colton did, in fact, quit, because all you have to do is look at the body language of those two people when they leave the game to see that one of them is in genuine extreme physical pain, and the other is in the middle of a pouty pity party.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They both looked like they were putting on a show to me but then again I'll try to go home from work if I get a migraine or I'm puking or I'm having an emotional breakdown or whatever, so maybe I'm being unfair. Plus I do agree Dana had a better case, Colton went from being Prime Doucher to "ouch my tummy" in what seemed like a flip of the switch, but editing can explain that to some degree.

Season 25, episode 8 - best tribal I've seen yet, I legitimately have no idea what this outcome is going to be and this is the first time I've ever felt a tribal was truly being decided in the moment. Usually it feels like they play up that they might do something crazy, but they always just do whatever boring poo poo they had in mind before going. This is exciting. No one played their idol. Oh my it was correct to not play any idols.

Hahahaha Jeff is a butt baby when he loses: "You know what pisses me off is I've made probably 60 million dollars playing baseball and I want this freaking million from this game... and it's not even a million bucks, it's only 600 grand by the time Obama takes it."

What're y'alls thoughts on Abi? I was caught off guard by her getting so hurt during this one tribal, she seems like she genuinely didn't have much awareness of how others felt about her. Like, I think her and RC could have called more shots throughout the game but Abi was like determined to see RC as a foe early and seemed to deliberately antagonize or be combative with her and then take her natural reaction to that sort of thing as evidence of her being against Abi. Lacking self-awareness isn't exactly an endearing quality though, just wasn't what I expected.

Also this season:

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I'm p sure there's documentation that Colton went directly to the hospital for surgery so I feel confident that medevac was legit

Also Abi is confrontational but I think not a single person in that cast has nice things to say about RC immediately afterwards