Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Here's a whole new level of horse-born BWM. Meet the modern British Don Quixote.

The Guardian posted:

I'm a knight and I live by the chivalric code

My video games company, Rebellion, has really taken off over the past five or six years. On paper I’ve probably been a millionaire for about 10 years or more, but in terms of spending power probably five years.

I’m a medieval knight in my spare time. Essentially for that you need land and horses. I do all of that myself with my partner – she’s a horse person as well. I’ve got 15 horses. Horses vary hugely in price and I have horses which have cost £25,000 or more to buy, while others are rescue horses which cost me nothing. But the big cost of horses is keeping them – every horse will probably cost a few hundred quid a week to look after – food, bedding, vets’ bills, getting hay cut from the fields and so on. But I do all their training myself. Horses are money pits, but they’re lovely money pits.

I have suits of armour custom made for me. They are significantly more expensive than a very expensive Savile Row suit. A high quality harness (“suit of armour” is a Victorian term) designed to keep you alive in the joust would cost a bare minimum of £10,000, but more realistically £25,000 to £30,000. Of course, it’s going to get damaged and need to be repaired too. The armour I joust in is late 15th century Milanese armour which is a specific type of armour from a specific period in history.

I have three full harnesses – that people would recognise as plate armour – and I’m having a fourth one made. It’s a 13th century harness modelled after a church effigy.

I also have plenty of mail, helmets and swords from the 1066 era. There’s a general rule that once you get into this area of enthusiasm, it’s not possible to have too much kit. I’ve spent many hundreds of thousands of pounds over the years on my armour and kit.

At the moment I’m also spending quite a lot on buying video equipment and doing my own YouTube channel called Modern History TV. I’m experimenting with it. For example, I’m commissioning craftspeople to make me medieval saddles – these cost a few thousand quid each – and you need one for each horse.

Through the company we give quite a few tens of thousands of pounds a year to SpecialEffect, a charity which helps people with special needs access and play computer games. I have also been giving money to Unicef my whole life. When I was a student I set up a direct debit for a few quid a month. It’s scaled up since then to a few hundred pounds a month.

I was a trustee at the Royal Armouries. It’s a charitable organisation that looks after the Royal Armouries museum, and I gave my expertise each month for nothing. I’m also chair of Tiga, a trade body for the games industry and I do that for nothing too. The aim is to promote best practice in the games industry.

He also hired a professional historian to teach him authentic medieval food. He only eats medieval peasant food, because he hates spices. Medieval noble food is all about flaunting one's ability to afford fancy spices.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This guy sounds like a real horses rear end.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

golden bubble posted:

Here's a whole new level of horse-born BWM. Meet the modern British Don Quixote.

He also hired a professional historian to teach him authentic medieval food. He only eats medieval peasant food, because he hates spices. Medieval noble food is all about flaunting one's ability to afford fancy spices.
Dude's paying $15k/month in horse boarding. WTF. At that price, you could just buy the loving acres to pasture your horses. Even in the UK.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

golden bubble posted:

I'd say guillotine, but that would be anachronistic. Burning at the stake, maybe? Bear-baiting?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

golden bubble posted:

The funniest part of this is that he was made an OBE in 2012. Does it still count as cosplay if you're literally a knight?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'd say guillotine, but that would be anachronistic. Burning at the stake, maybe? Bear-baiting?

hang and quarter. auto-da-fe is for damnable catholics

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 31, 2018

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

golden bubble posted:

He also hired a professional historian to teach him authentic medieval food. He only eats medieval peasant food, because he hates spices.

So, what, pottage for every meal?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

golden bubble posted:

His YouTube channel has 130k+ subscribers and some very high view videos, he is probably making in the six figures off the channel already and this could easily turn the corner to okWM or even GWM in short order if his channel takes off some more

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I clicked the link and I never realized horses have goat eyeballs.

Most horses I've seen had dark eyes you couldn't see the creepy sideways pupils.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Beheading is still appropriate, you just do it with an axe or sword, and you can decide to pay the guy to sharpen/blunt his edge so it takes fewer/more swings to do the job.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hang and quarter. auto-da-fe is for damnable catholics

What a day, what a day for an auto da fe!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

papist

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's actually a quote from a song in the musical Candide.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

golden bubble posted:

I have a hard time calling anything horse related GWM, but it doesn't seem like he's going into debt for his weird hobby, so maybe this is GWM, BWL?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

It's actually a quote from a song in the musical Candide.

yes

doesnt prevent me from issuing in character insults

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yes

doesnt prevent me from issuing in character insults

Truly this is the best of all possible worlds, then.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Reading over the Blessed photos thread, I saw the video of 1986's Balloonfest in Cleveland, which was a disaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0CT8zrw6lw

So I checked out the Wiki page for it and, possible GWM for horse owner though?

quote:

Balloons landing on a pasture in Medina County, Ohio, spooked Louise Nowakowski's Arabian horses, which allegedly suffered permanent injuries as a result. Nowakowski sued the United Way of Cleveland for $100,000 in damages and settled for undisclosed terms.

Also, horse thought of balloons and died, etc

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cacafuego posted:

Reading over the Blessed photos thread, I saw the video of 1986's Balloonfest in Cleveland, which was a disaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0CT8zrw6lw

So I checked out the Wiki page for it and, possible GWM for horse owner though?

Also, horse thought of balloons and died, etc

settlement < damages claimed in suit almost without exception. often by orders of magnitude

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Dik Hz posted:

Dude's paying $15k/month in horse boarding. WTF. At that price, you could just buy the loving acres to pasture your horses. Even in the UK.

Those hundreds of quid to unicef lol

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

silvergoose posted:

- Hey, Torquemada, whaddaya say?
I just got back from the auto-da-fé
Auto-da-fé, what's an auto-da-fé?
It's what you oughtn't to do but you do anyway

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Apparently that guy's company is responsible for the game where you can explode hitler's testicle in slow motion, I can no longer criticize

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Braco is very GWM, but everyone that goes to him in insanely BWM.

quote:

"Gazing" Faith Healer Earns $1.2 Million From 5-Minute Mass Staring Sessions

quote:

Braco, sometimes called "the Gazer" is a visual healer. He does not touch, speak to, diagnose, or treat the people who come to see him — rather, he stands on a platform and gazes. Braco initially saw people one on one, however, due to the large number of people who started coming to see him, he began gazing at groups.

At public events, Braco stands on a podium following a ten minute period of introduction and silently looks at the members of the audience for a period of five to ten minutes. Afterwards, during a period called "meditation and reflection" by supporters, believers have claimed to experience life changes, healings and positive experiences. During the "gaze time" they feel tingling, see energy or a golden aura, or experience peace or relief from pain.

Participants and event organizers claim that his gaze has cured physical diseases such as cancer and respiratory disease. Believers claim Braco's physical presence is not necessary, and gazing at a picture or video of him can be sufficient for healing. However, Braco's gaze increases in strength the closer participants are to him.

https://www.braco.me/en/

You can buy a DVD of Braco staring at you for $25.

You can get a ticket to view a livestream of Braco's Gazing for between $8 and $75.

You can get a ticket to attend a mass gazing where you can see his gaze in person for between $25 and $185.

You can buy an audio CD of a Gazing session for $15. (What is on this CD?)

You can also view a trailer for one of his 38 DVDs of Gazing Sessions here for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZGHsWXVq-Q

This is the face that people collectively paid $1.2 million to in exchange for being stared at for 5 minutes:

You better get in to see him soon:

quote:

Braco received the title 'World Ambassador of Peace and Light' at the World Conference on Peace and Light in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. This has skyrocketed the demand of the public to see him in person. To ensure that as many people as possible can attend, the prices for in-person events will be altered. Specific details to come.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 31, 2018

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Glad to see Bill Murray’s brother is doing good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You can get a ticket to view a livestream of Braco's Gazing for between $8 and $75.

You can get a ticket to attend a mass gazing where you can see his gaze in person for between $25 and $185.

You can also view a trailer for one of his 38 DVDs of Gazing Sessions here for free:

This is the face that people collectively paid $1.2 million to in exchange for being stared at for 5 minutes:

:stare::catstare::stare::catstare::stare::catstare:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

This mostly makes me angry because I'm putting in 45-hour weeks for a pittance, while this guy is getting flown around on a private jet to look at people for seven loving figures.

I can look at people!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah but that guy has commercial-grade gently caress Me eyes.

Do YOU, Mister Business Person?!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A story from one of my co-workers:

GWM: Announcing to the world that you're pregnant at your sister's wedding, and then pulling away the wedding photographer to take some pregnancy photos on the side.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

GWM: Announcing to the world that you're pregnant at your sister's wedding, and then pulling away the wedding photographer to take some pregnancy photos on the side.

Frugality is a hell of a drug!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Shame about all of the daggers later discovered in their back, though.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Tell the photographer and slip him or her a hundo, don't make a public announcement, take all the pictures, and then share the pictures after the happily married couple gets back from their honeymoon

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Thanatosian posted:

This mostly makes me angry because I'm putting in 45-hour weeks for a pittance, while this guy is getting flown around on a private jet to look at people for seven loving figures.

I can look at people!

Here is the invoice broken out

Looking at you $10
a lifetime learning how to look at you $10,000

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Frugality is a hell of a drug!

Hoodwinker posted:

Shame about all of the daggers later discovered in their back, though.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Tell the photographer and slip him or her a hundo, don't make a public announcement, take all the pictures, and then share the pictures after the happily married couple gets back from their honeymoon

Yeah, but the other way is free and you get to make someone else's wedding about you.

Oh, they were apparently 5 weeks pregnant.

lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, but the other way is free and you get to make someone else's wedding about you.

Oh, they were apparently 5 weeks pregnant.

lol

:discourse:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The people most interested in their credit scores and reducing taxes are almost always the people who need to worry about them the least.

This post is impressive because it contains multiple misunderstandings of taxes in just a single sentence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ab2tdr/its_almost_the_end_of_2018_are_there_any_yearend/

quote:

It’s almost the end of 2018. Are there any year-end last donations I can make to charities that will help me when it comes time to do my taxes next year?

No text.

Top comment:

quote:

if you like donating a dollar so you can avoid paying a quarter to the government, there are tons of charities that you can donate to.

but if you are good at math, you wont make those donations solely for tax purposes.

Post #1,298 detailing why you never cosign for a car.

Not only did he cosign, but he cosigned for a COWORKER that he had only known for a few months and thinks hiring someone to steal the car will get him off of the loan.

quote:

Friend co-signed a car lease for a colleague of his. Colleague is no longer paying, refuses to sell the car.

So to the best of my understanding, around a year ago, my buddy co-signed a car lease for an acquaintance of his. I believe it was for 4 years. The dude was making regular payments for around 6 months, but has since stopped making payments. The two have had a falling out, and the dude is being flaky/unresponsive to my buddy, and doesn't seem to want to resolve the situation. My buddy's credit score is obviously taking a hit, and we're trying to come up with options for how to solve this. There's still about 3 years left on the lease, for about $10-12k.

He does have the dude's address and knows where the car is. He's considered hiring a repo guy to take the car back, and then he will sell it private party (or back to the dealership) and pay off the remaining balance. Would this be legal?

If not, does he have any grounds to report the vehicle as stolen? Because apart from either of those two things being a possibility, my buddy is going to be making payments for the next 3 years while this jackass drives around in the car for free... but even after that, I doubt the dude would just turn the car back in at the end of the lease. So at that point, it would obviously be stolen??

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ab7co2/friend_cosigned_a_car_lease_for_a_colleague_of/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 31, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone at my office just got a 5-day unpaid suspension for next week because they were on their 6th (documented) warning about cutting their fingernails and toenails at their desk and leaving the trimmings for the cleaning staff to pick up.

Literally losing 25% of your monthly pay because you had been warned 6 times to stop leaving your nails on the desk and still did it anyway.

:cripes:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Don't doxx me

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

His YouTube channel has 130k+ subscribers and some very high view videos, he is probably making in the six figures off the channel already and this could easily turn the corner to okWM or even GWM in short order if his channel takes off some more

He's already the multimillionaire owner of a well known games company. I don't think he's fussed about the money tbh.

(BWM: working in the games industry for someone like him instead of literally anything else, if you're a programmer)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Someone at my office just got a 5-day unpaid suspension for next week because they were on their 6th (documented) warning about cutting their fingernails and toenails at their desk and leaving the trimmings for the cleaning staff to pick up.

Literally losing 25% of your monthly pay because you had been warned 6 times to stop leaving your nails on the desk and still did it anyway.

:cripes:

How are all of your co-workers essential employees of the government?

If anyone was getting an extended break, I thought it'd be your office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Krispy Wafer posted:

How are all of your co-workers essential employees of the government?

If anyone was getting an extended break, I thought it'd be your office.

The federal government is only partially shutdown. 75% of federal workers are still working.