Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

jazzyjay posted:

Look I think everyone just needs to watch Pulp Fiction again cause it's excellent.

Here's a fun one for you. John Travolta plays sloppy smacky hit man Vincent Vega. Psycho ear choppy Mr Blonde's real name is Victor Vega; they're brothers. This plus other clues show that Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are in the same universe. So is Mr Orange (Tim Roth) also Pumpkin (Tim Roth)? Is Mr White the Wolf's day job? Explain and support your arguments.

Ever heard that rule about how everyone has a doppelgänger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I heard something to the effect that all of Tarantino's films are in the same universe, and some of them are "real" stories while others are films within the universe. I'm pretty sure he said that Inglourious Basterds was the way WW2 actually went down in Tarantino world, and reservoir dogs and pulp fiction were the modern day from that take, while movies like Kill Bill and Death Proof are just films that people watch in Tarantino world.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There's no way Mr. Wolf would ever debase himself enough to rob a jewelry store. The man throws black tie dinner parties in the morning.

He delegates. He doesn't get his hands dirty.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's no way Mr. Wolf would ever debase himself enough to rob a jewelry store. The man throws black tie dinner parties in the morning.

I always assumed it was a wake, or so hyphy it was still going from the night before

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

jazzyjay posted:

Look I think everyone just needs to watch Pulp Fiction again cause it's excellent.

Here's a fun one for you. John Travolta plays sloppy smacky hit man Vincent Vega. Psycho ear choppy Mr Blonde's real name is Victor Vega; they're brothers. This plus other clues show that Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are in the same universe. So is Mr Orange (Tim Roth) also Pumpkin (Tim Roth)? Is Mr White the Wolf's day job? Explain and support your arguments.

Don't forget True Romance; the part in Reservoir Dogs with Mr White and Joe, Joe asks about Alabama, which was Patricia Arquette's character from TR.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Isn’t there some crossover between True Romance and Natural Born Killers as well?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I always assumed it was a wake, or so hyphy it was still going from the night before

No. When Mr. Wolf sends you a party invite for 8am you go.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm pretty sure you only wear a tuxedo to a penguin funeral.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I could see Mr. White being Winston Wolf. That's actually pretty neat to think about.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It was a wake.

And his cut was juicy. Very juicy. I don't know. I can kind of see it except Mr. White is way more sloppy and his act in the Reservoir Dogs warehouse doesn't come off as super cool and measured but, then again, with the jewel heist they're dealing with dead cops and a possible mole instead of some random small time drug dealing kid. I could see it. Tarantino has said that Vince and Vic are brothers and I think pitched a film with that in mind.

I stumbled upon this which had a few interesting observations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Ax3HQaPvM

A lot of it's a stretch but a couple of neat things he brings up:

every time Vincent goes to the can, bad things happen which, again, I associate with him going to shoot up.

This YT guy also asserts that the gun in Butch's apartment isn't Vega's, it's Marcellus' but I don't see how that holds up since Wallace pulls out a gun after he comes around after the car crash.

Apparently, Butch keyed Vince's car after the bar scene exchange but ...how does that work in the timeline? It's after the Bonnie Situation and before The Milkshake Date so and Vince scoring his Madman so, yeah, I guess so.

Marcellus NEVER ONCE speaks to his wife.

There's some cool subtle things in the backgrounds like "Cooledge vs. Wilson" as the main event boxing match and "Kill (Z)Ed" on a neon sign in the pawn shop if one factors in the key chain "Z".

They also address the band aid which apparently meant nothing but QT thought it looked cooler and was more evocative of...well...something. Apparently, that band aid led to the "soul in the briefcase" theories.

It really is a great film - one that opens itself up to countless re-watches, quotes and new poo poo to find every time you watch it. It's very well shot, excellently paced and very well acted. I never realized it, but Walken's scene is chronologically the first scene in the movie and Butch riding the chopper is the last (except the film OPENS with the sound of a Harley engine).

Rambling here but, thinking about the briefcase and potential crossovers, I wondered "what if the case had the diamonds from Reservoir Dogs?" but that doesn't work since if Wolf is Mr. White, he already died. People obsess over it but I never much though it mattered what was in the case.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

synthetik posted:

Isn’t there some crossover between True Romance and Natural Born Killers as well?

Well I think NBK was developed from excised sections of Tarantino's original True Romance script.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

This YT guy also asserts that the gun in Butch's apartment isn't Vega's, it's Marcellus' but I don't see how that holds up since Wallace pulls out a gun after he comes around after the car crash.

There's really nothing to support this one, you're right. His main argument is "Vincent is retired by the time this scene happens", which isn't true, Vincent never said he was retiring. There's zero reason to assume that the gun isn't Vincent's.

Edit: he actually just cites Jules' retirement as the reason for it being Vincent's gun, which makes even less sense. Why would you assume Vincent wouldn't just be there waiting for Butch alone?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

As someone who has only seen the movie via cultural osmosis, the last page or two has been pretty surreal.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Basebf555 posted:

Why would you assume Vincent wouldn't just be there waiting for Butch alone?

Because Marcellus is on his way back there with breakfast when John McClain hits him with his car.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yippee ki yay Marcellusfucker.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Warbird posted:

As someone who has only seen the movie via cultural osmosis, the last page or two has been pretty surreal.

Go watch Pulp Fiction immediately

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Nobody plans on shooting up in the time it takes for a toaster to cook a poptart and while waiting for their killer mob boss to return from a donut run.

Edit: oh yeah if you haven't seen it cancel your poo poo for the next 2 hours, go watch pulp fiction instead. Then lament that there aren't more movies as good as pulp fiction.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's a fancy person party with illegal gambling cause that's the classy grey world of Mr Wolfs. You hear a croupier say "Place your bets" when he's taking the Marvin call.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Olaf The Stout posted:

Edit: oh yeah if you haven't seen it cancel your poo poo for the next 2 hours, go watch pulp fiction instead. Then lament that there aren't more movies as good as pulp fiction.

Seeing Pulp Fiction when it first came out was one of my top cinema experiences. People were in HYSTERICS. I was studying film at the time and the film, the script, Tarantino's wunderkid auteur schtick, it was just so exciting.

And then came the copycats...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

jazzyjay posted:

Seeing Pulp Fiction when it first came out was one of my top cinema experiences. People were in HYSTERICS. I was studying film at the time and the film, the script, Tarantino's wunderkid auteur schtick, it was just so exciting.

My girlfriend had just broken up with me and I went to see Pulp Fiction alone and the theater was so packed I was in the far corner looking at everything at a lovely angle.

And it was still a night of magic and wonder.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
And every goddamn party for about a year had the soundtrack on repeat.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well I think NBK was developed from excised sections of Tarantino's original True Romance script.

I forget which exactly but a bunch of Tarantino’s early stuff (NBK, True Romance, maybe Reservoir Dogs and possibly Pulp Fiction) all came from a script called The Open Road that was either 50 pages or 500 pages, depending on who you ask. When you think of it, it kinda makes sense, Clarence and Alabama/Mickey and Mallory/Pumpkin and Honeybunny are all variations on the same character.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

jazzyjay posted:

There's also the theory that the briefcase is filled with the diamonds from the Reservoir Dogs heist.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

jazzyjay posted:

All of Tarantino's films are set in the same universe but the actors played different characters in each film.

There was plans (or maybe just an idea) for a "Vega Brothers" film at one point, but it never panned out.

jazzyjay posted:

I found the movie hilarious on my first watch because I finally got all the jokes the Simpsons were referencing in "22 short films about springfield"

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Jan 1, 2019

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

jazzyjay posted:

I too have gotten drunk and watched Pulp Fiction andPlump Fiction back to back.
Predictably, one of the only portions that stuck in my mind is the Bernhard + Castellaneta diner scene, the rest is a schlocky blur.

kupachek has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Jan 1, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Accordion Man posted:

There's also the theory that the briefcase is filled with the diamonds from the Reservoir Dogs heist.

Roger Avery, co-writer of Pulp Fiction posted:

Originally the briefcase contained diamonds. But that just seemed too boring and predictable. So it was decided that the contents of the briefcase were never to be seen. This way each audience member would fill in the blank with their own ultimate contents. All you were supposed to know was that it was “so beautiful.” No prop master can come up with something better than each individual’s imagination. At least that was the original idea. Then somebody had the bright idea (which I think was a mistake) of putting an orange lightbulb in there. Suddenly what could have been anything became anything supernatural. Didn’t need to push the effect. People would have debated it for years anyway, and it would have been much more subtle. I can’t believe I’m actually talking about being subtle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

minato posted:

And every goddamn party for about a year had the soundtrack on repeat.

And a thousand video games, it feels like. Years later in Guild Wars the male and female /dance emotes for Warriors would re-enact the Jackrabbit Slim's scene - and correctly, as GW's dance emotes were cleverly set up to synchronise if you did them near someone of the same class. In the same way, you could get a bunch of Necromancers together and recreate the group dance scene from Thriller.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

Nobody plans on shooting up in the time it takes for a toaster to cook a poptart

Butch cooked the pop tart.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Perfect timing: Pulp Fiction hits Netflix on January 1 (in the States, anyway).

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Homeybeef posted:

Tv moment:

Episode 5 of the most recent season of Bojack Horseman, Bojack calls Princess Carolyn complaining about having to learn too many new lines. He says "no show should have this much talking, TV is a visual medium". The next episode is Free Churro, the one that has Bojack talking for 20 uninterrupted minutes.

Free Churro was a challenging episode. I watched it about 4 times and made my wife watch it to get her feedback. Glad they got a dig in on the previous episode.

I'm still confused about Free Churro.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm still confused about Free Churro.

How?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The exact places it challenges the current sitcom establishment.

Edit: It's a great episode, definitely in my top 20. But what exactly is it trying to say? It parodies itself, it parodies what would ever be acceptable on weekly network TV. It parodies the sancitity of funeral, and bad stand-up comedy.

It is amazing, but I'm still like, "what are you trying to say, exactly, also thanks for being hella funny."

Edit: This is season 4, episode 7 (Free Churro), it's on Netflix. People go watch it, it's weird and funny.

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 06:51 on Jan 1, 2019

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
What

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Drunk Nerds is enjoying something very deeply and seriously you should be jealous not disdainful.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Not enough people talking about Jackie Brown in a thread of people talking bout good Tarantino movies. Super under the radar, even though in my opinion it has one of the best women characters in a movie, just in term of completely and realistically dominating a situation. Also has some time switching, even just to show a pivotal event from multiple perspectives.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I like Jackie Brown a lot, possibly because it's the most restrained of his films.
Kill Bill was fun, but that was the point he got too indulgent and I've not really been a fan of the stuff he's done since. Django had its moments.
I straight up did not like Inglorious Basterds. The Jewish heroes were vile and the Nazis were mostly sympathetic except Landa, who survives. There are two simultaneous assassination plots at the same location. Why? They don't conflict or cooperate with each other - they're not even aware of each other. Do something with that scenario ffs

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > PYF Subltle Movie Moments: The Jewish heroes were vile and the Nazis were mostly sympathetic

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jedit posted:

And a thousand video games, it feels like. Years later in Guild Wars the male and female /dance emotes for Warriors would re-enact the Jackrabbit Slim's scene - and correctly, as GW's dance emotes were cleverly set up to synchronise if you did them near someone of the same class. In the same way, you could get a bunch of Necromancers together and recreate the group dance scene from Thriller.

I initially read this as Gears of War, and got really confused by the end of the post.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

bitterandtwisted posted:

I like Jackie Brown a lot, possibly because it's the most restrained of his films.
Kill Bill was fun, but that was the point he got too indulgent and I've not really been a fan of the stuff he's done since. Django had its moments.
I straight up did not like Inglorious Basterds. The Jewish heroes were vile and the Nazis were mostly sympathetic except Landa, who survives. There are two simultaneous assassination plots at the same location. Why? They don't conflict or cooperate with each other - they're not even aware of each other. Do something with that scenario ffs

Jordan Peterson?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

Tarantino's villains are not usually one sided, but I think you're confusing Germans with Nazi's (the Venn diagram wasn't just a circle). All of the sympathetic characters were German army. None of the Nazi's were in the least bit redeeming. Aldo does refer to all of them as Nazi's, but I mean...they are at war. I do find it odd that you found the Jewish heroes vile though.

My favorite part was assuming this was a WWII film in our timeline. I assumed that the plot would fail because of course it failed - Hitler didn't die in Paris full of bullet holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

The Jewish heroes were vile and the Nazis were mostly sympathetic

get 'em boys