Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I was for sure a racist shitheel from like 2000-2016ish. It’s still something I have to actively work at and catch myself thinking something and have to go like is that racist.

Someone spot a dog tax please I’m on my phone.

Double edit: holy poo poo did they fix the app not posting pictures???

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I have no idea what this means, so good work

Edit: Googled it, next time you make an obscure, unwarranted, and pointless reference, do make sure you spell it correctly.

What is this attitude lmao

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I was for sure a racist shitheel from like 2000-2016ish. It’s still something I have to actively work at and catch myself thinking something and have to go like is that racist.

I'm currently trying to blow up the wayback machine. I was more sexist/homophobic in the 90s and early 2000s; stupid Christian background.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like my friends. Do you not like your friends?

Is this like olde timey comedians hating their wife.

You are allowed to form relationships with people that you don't loathe.

Facebook is for keeping in touch with people you don't actually like enough to talk to.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fallom posted:

What is this attitude lmao

I don't know, what is calling me a right-wing author because I pointed out the reality of twitter mobs "lmao"

TulliusCicero posted:

I played league of Legends for like three years and actively avoided using chat besides pings and "go here", and "we got this guys" for just that reason

True human misery and hatred is at the heart of online game chats

It's like MOBAs were invented in a government laboratory to attract the most toxic people with the least patience toward each other

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

"Nice shot sir! I have clearly been bested by a worthy opponent." Mostly stuff like that.

I played league of Legends for like three years and actively avoided using chat besides pings and "go here", and "we got this guys" for just that reason

True human misery and hatred is at the heart of online game chats

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Darko posted:

I'm currently trying to blow up the wayback machine. I was more sexist/homophobic in the 90s and early 2000s; stupid Christian background.

I went from Christian to gamer/military so...... yeah. It’s not a good look. I got on board with the don’t use gay slurs earlier than don’t be a racist. And sadly, Muslims took even longer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't know, what is calling me a right-wing author because I pointed out the reality of twitter mobs "lmao"

Alright Garfield, it’s only a Monday

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

I'm so sick of comedians bitching about the "PC movement". It's not even a real thing. There's nothing more pathetic than seeing someone on a brightly lit stage with a microphone in their hand with thousands of people staring at them who paid to see them and the person on stage is complaining about how they can't say anything anymore.

I loved it when Seinfeld complained about PC crowds on college campuses not liking his edgy humor because they were too PC even as Daniel Tosh was the most popular comedian in the college circuit by far.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Trump was seriously the come to Jesus moment of “wait do I really sound this racist when I say poo poo like this?”

I mean the gears had been in the works for awhile - college helps A LOT, but it was definitely a watershed time.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

VH4Ever posted:

Far as I know, George is still good, yes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/PlatoMachiaveli/status/1079778767223115777

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

You also missed the point I guess. What good is even bringing up 'well hey this COULD go bad though'? Again how is that any different than the countless 'is metoo going too far?' things? Yea groups of people can be corrupted real easy, thanks for the insight into basic world history and human nature, but until that actually starts happening you might as well point to any hashtag and go 'yea but what if this becomes bad?'

None of this actually happened in this thread. The critique was that twitter mob justice has no setting between 0 and 11 and was only tangentially related to #metoo because it started over a discussion about Aziz Ansari. I could go back and check but I don't think a single poster said #metoo was bad, asked if it went too far, or defended Weinstein.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

It's like MOBAs were invented in a government laboratory to attract the most toxic people with the least patience toward each other

All of my posting in 2014 and 2015 was about League of Legends. Relatedly, all of my posting in 2014 and 2015 was loving atrocious and should be scrubbed from the site.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Stan Lee 100% cared about me.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

All of my posting in 2014 and 2015 was about League of Legends. Relatedly, all of my posting in 2014 and 2015 was loving atrocious and should be scrubbed from the site.

I recently started playing again after a 8 year hiatus and I main Kayle. No one gets mad at Kayle

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Guys if you were white and a teenager you were likely racist and sexist and homophobic we do not need a public penance here in the trump thread

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1079783383637680128

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I recently started playing again after a 8 year hiatus and I main Kayle. No one gets mad at Kayle

Kayle was my main too. I miss that game, and yet I also couldn't be convinced to redownload it today lmao.

Sorry, no derail, no derail.

Elizabeth Warren wrote a thing about foreign policy.

It is meh.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Has CK actually done much of anything since actually issuing a confession and apology? It struck me at the time that he was like, the only person who showed any kind of self-awareness and/or remorse for being outed in this mess.

Here's a question, in a world of Kevin Spaceys who double down on shittiness and creepiness, and Hulk Hogans who apologize only for being caught, at what point do we say someone learned a lesson?

Because if the answer is "never", then they're never going to learn. It's sort of why the Death Penalty and massive sentences do nothing to actually deter crime.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Killer robot posted:

George (Carlin) is still good, right? :negative:

I... I don't know how to break this to you...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Veryslightlymad posted:

Has CK actually done much of anything since actually issuing a confession and apology? It struck me at the time that he was like, the only person who showed any kind of self-awareness and/or remorse for being outed in this mess.

I mean his apology wasn't particularly great or sincere feeling and his new comedy set after coming back is right-wing as gently caress so I'm gonna say that it's not a matter of being redeemed so much as he's still being an rear end in a top hat just in a different way.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I mean James Gunn lost his gig for bad joke tweets he made a decade prior and had apologized for already so

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Guys if you were white and a teenager you were likely racist and sexist and homophobic we do not need a public penance here in the trump thread

Fixed that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mean James Gunn lost his gig for bad joke tweets he made a decade prior and had apologized for already so

that was disney being moronic though.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I am very thankful for the super good policeman that I never knew, and probably never cared about me other than doing a job like everybody else, and some of them were probably bad people

God bless

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Liz Warren would make a terrific President. But, as a MA resident, I can confidently say that she had no chance in hell of winning. Her reputation has already taken a noticeable hit in our state!

She just got re-elected by a bigger margin than she first won by in 2012

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

KickerOfMice posted:

You missed the point. That wasn't about comparing the end actions of the two, it was about the mentality that could lead up to those actions, and how even a mob of well-minded people could be misdirected and manipulated by one or a few manipulative and persuasive people to achieve their own goals. People need to be part of groups, and angry people, for whatever reason they are angry, are easier to convince and control as a group. Anger is a deep motivator, and the motivation can be subtly usurped.

Internet mobs get usurped by horrible people all the goddamn time too, and people addicted to the rush of beating on a helpless target will seek out increasingly vulnerable and petty targets of opportunity to get the next high, while the worst possible people find the mob incredibly easy to manipulate. That's literally what happened with Helldump, and it created the template for internet stalking and mobbing followed for decades to come, you can find Helldump alumni at the centre of all kinds of internet clusterfucks and organised harassment to this day.

And it's almost always easy targets, because unless paired with major public scandals (in which case the mob is at best a minor help to keeping it from being buried, usually just a minor ineffectual sideshow) anyone with actual power and wealth can pretty much shrug it off, while the mob gets the most satisfaction about targets they can actually beat up on, which is usually the most powerless and vulnerable people they can justify or invent reasons to attack.

Last I heard AOC was learning Anivia.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Last I heard AOC was learning Anivia.

seems more like a trump hero to me.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TulliusCicero posted:

I am very thankful for the super good policeman that I never knew, and probably never cared about me other than doing a job like everybody else, and some of them were probably bad people

God bless

Doug Stanhope never struck me as a very funny comic, but he was on Opie and Anthony back in the day, and some cop had recently been shot and killed in NYC and the boys were doing their usual fellatio of the NYPD. One of them said "It's a shame, he left behind a wife and some kids" and Doug Stanhope without missing a beat said sarcastically "yeah, it's such a shame he chose such a dangerous job when he had a wife and kids."

I guffawed

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Police killed 987 people in 2018.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thats alot of fire fighters. that makes me sad.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

Here's a question, in a world of Kevin Spaceys who double down on shittiness and creepiness, and Hulk Hogans who apologize only for being caught, at what point do we say someone learned a lesson?

Because if the answer is "never", then they're never going to learn. It's sort of why the Death Penalty and massive sentences do nothing to actually deter crime.

The rumors were around for years, and Louis CK would either lie or evade when asked about them directly. It was only once the NY Times came out with details and sources that he showed any remorse. And thankfully he shelved the movie he directed which managed to make light of the accusations against both him and Woody Allen.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Groovelord Neato posted:

seems more like a trump hero to me.

Trump instalocks Master Yi, blames team for feeding while he farms the jungle for 25 minutes, then dies in the first team fight.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Is this govt shutdown going to end up being a Dem shakedown where this drat budget for the stupid wall holds everything else hostage for being cut? "If the Dems give up on almost everything except the wall, will the GOP finally agree to tell Trump to go gently caress himself and his veto?"

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I don’t know man, it’s better than a dumbass derail about “Twitter” being useful/lovely because it’s clearly lovely. At least this helps people come together with some troubling parts of their past. Honestly white people should be talking to each other more about this stuff because it makes us all feel a little less alone in the world. Which can help some people’s convictions when faced with ignoring these things or speaking out about them every day.

I’d say that’s more useful than talking about twitter for any reason.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Trump instalocks Master Yi, blames team for feeding while he farms the jungle for 25 minutes, then dies in the first team fight.

But I'm not Donald Trump. Am I?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats alot of fire fighters. that makes me sad.

if it makes you feel any better it doesn't crack the top 25 most dangerous jobs (cops just barely make top 15).

Lightning Knight posted:

i was making a wall joke!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Caros posted:

But I'm not Donald Trump. Am I?

Bronze player who whines about ELO hell spotted.

Harton posted:

I don’t know man, it’s better than a dumbass derail about “Twitter” being useful/lovely because it’s clearly lovely. At least this helps people come together with some troubling parts of their past. Honestly white people should be talking to each other more about this stuff because it makes us all feel a little less alone in the world. Which can help some people’s convictions when faced with ignoring these things or speaking out about them every day.

The problem with this is that implicitly assumes that this is primarily a space for white (men) and thus we should have a struggle session about how we feel bad for having been/being bad people which will push non-white men out of the space.

Like I'm guilty of it to don't get me wrong, but we should just deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

KickerOfMice posted:

No, and I hope he doesn't. Let that lameass crack bounce off and clatter uselessly to the floor.

:rolleyes: This reeks of "I need headlines and attention."

Yikes. Context matters and sometimes standup bits can look bad without it, but... yikes.