Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah I don't really care for bows in MH. I've tried all of them, taken down various monsters, and none of them scratch that itch. You're plinking away, slow and methodical, but in your heart you know you want to be up in their poo poo dodging twitch hip checks and yelling at your friend for staggering you with his stupid Sephiroth sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah I don't really care for bows in MH. I've tried all of them, taken down various monsters, and none of them scratch that itch. You're plinking away, slow and methodical, but in your heart you know you want to be up in their poo poo dodging twitch hip checks and yelling at your friend for staggering you with his stupid Sephiroth sword

If you aren't up in their poo poo with a bow, you are too far

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo that dunkey video about Super Seducer 2 :psyduck:

I've never seen someone lean so hard into a joke that they fall so completely over (the guy who made the game, not dunkey)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think bows are a lot more fun in multiplayer

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

I think bows are a lot more fun in multiplayer

same but only when i'm shooting my friends

Andrast posted:

If you aren't up in their poo poo with a bow, you are too far

bow and arrow yes because it has a melee component where you just punch them with your bow, but i feel like bowgun is too heavy and slow to get up in most monsters' poo poo, and i don't know if bow and arrow is in MHW

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bows own because you are constantly laying powered up shotgun blasts in the monster's face while just barely dodging away with you sick rear end sidestep

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All right, boys and girls, this is your last chance to get your votes in for the Top 10 thread! There's less than 24 hours to go and there's only a few points in it at the top so your vote could make all the difference! So take part and ~*join the conversation*~!

Rarity fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 31, 2018

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

homeless snail posted:

horny for kirby and I don't care who knows it

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

What are some games with a female silent protagonist?

Portal 1 & 2

This may count as cheating, but most Western RPGs and MMOs with selectable main characters have silent (not voice acted) protagonists. So Skyrim, Oblivion, WoW, ESO, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon Age 1, Baldur’s Gate, Wasteland 2, Dragon’s Dogma Fallout 1-3, etc etc etc.

Then you have indie games which often are silent too. People have mentioned a bunch already. Here’s some more: Bloodstained, Shovel Night (if you want), Tacoma, Little Nightmares, The Flame in the Flood, Lara Croft GO (this is definitely cheating).

Giant Bomb has a pretty good list of games with female protagonists to help narrow your search.
https://www.giantbomb.com/female-protagonists/3015-2287/games/

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 31, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

CrossCode :v:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hyeh heh heh heh

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

I live my life following Dick Dictums.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Why is it that we had 4 player split screen games when everyone had 19 inch TVs and now that everyone has 50 inch TVs we have hardly any split screen games

Rendering issues. There was hardly a split screen game in like the 90s that wasn't compromised in some way whether it limited you to specific featureless stages or in Mario Kart 64 three and four players remove all the other racers. By the time games were powerful enough to be fully featured in split screen online was a thing so why optimize this already barely held together game for a feature no one uses??

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I played the bow a decent bit in MHW and I never got the hang of using the close range coating.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I should play this game, I loved D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

D, Enemy Zero

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You got 2 meats!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1079656896041242624

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

D, Enemy Zero

Teeeeeeechnically Laura has voice recordings in Enemy Zero. She just ain't got poo poo to say as invisible aliens hone in on her.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1079771364326699008

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
gently caress, I would buy Nintendo plushies. Yoshi, Kirby, a little Metroid, all that adorable poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

the world is dog

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

singateco posted:

I'll just say it. Bows are pretty boring and you should give other weapons a chance.

I like fantasy RPGs that have muskets as usable weapons.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I like fantasy RPGs that have muskets as usable weapons.

Fable 3, Pillars of Eternity.

What else?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Let’s hear some 2019 gamer resolutions

I vow to actually complete an RPG instead of restarting twenty times and burning out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I vow to actually complete an RPG instead of restarting twenty times and burning out

Buying significantly less games. I spent way too much money over the last 2 1/2 years on video games. I regret it and realize it has become a serious issue that is financially hurting me. If I actually finished most of these games, or even enjoyed them, that would make it easier to accept, but that isn't true at all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Getting a spread deco to drop

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

1080p lol!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

im going to get three mountains

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

What else?

The hunter class in World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy Tactics has a class that can use muskets, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XI, and Final Fantasy XIV, and Tree of Savior has one too. Trying to think of more, those weapons don't show up often in RPGs which might really be why I like them. They are not standard RPG weapons. Final Fantasy is the only series really that features them a lot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

I want to play more shmups

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lets hang out posted:

I want to play more shmups

Buy all the cave shmups on steam sale while you're thinking about it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what's everyone gonna be playing at midnight

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jay Rust posted:

I will finally beat a game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was hoping to get the platinum in Nier Automata before 2019 but I beat route B yesterday and it seems like there's still a lot left to do

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

What else?

Jade Empire

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Looper posted:

what's everyone gonna be playing at midnight

Trying not to drool during my new years kiss.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I was hoping to get the platinum in Nier Automata before 2019 but I beat route B yesterday and it seems like there's still a lot left to do

congrats on finishing the tutorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Luckily Nier A is probably the easiest platinum ever