Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mecha Gojira posted:

IMAX. The Dark Knight movies change aspects too when they switch back and forth from the scenes shot on imax.

It's really bad and noticeable in TDKR. It's hilarious how a jarring continuity error like that got passed Nolan.

It's less noticeable in Transformers TLK because your brain is too busy trying to process space Medusa crashing a loving planet into Earth on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Slutitution posted:

It's really bad and noticeable in TDKR. It's hilarious how a jarring continuity error like that got passed Nolan.

It's less noticeable in Transformers TLK because your brain is too busy trying to process space Medusa crashing a loving planet into Earth on the screen.

Yeah over time my brain just tuned it out in TLK. Like yeah if I kept my eye on the top edge of the screen it was mega-obvious, but with so much other random poo poo happening in the middle of the frame, my brain filtered it out.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Slutitution posted:

Changing aspect ratios isn't a continuity error that poo poo only ever happens on purpose. It actually takes a fair bit of effort in the movie finalling pipeline to support it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mecha Gojira posted:

IMAX. The Dark Knight movies change aspects too when they switch back and forth from the scenes shot on imax.

In DK, it's only a few big set pieces where it happens. In DKR, it shifts repeatedly within the same scene. It's weird.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

mashed_penguin posted:

Onslaught. And the 6 mini devilbots that prime wastes in one swipe. I can't remember what that characters name is dante or infernicus or something.

Thanks, for all the poo poo bayformers takes they are fun to work on for cg nerds.

prime yelled “did you forget who i am?!” right before decapitating those guys lmao

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I thought Bumblebee was cute and enjoyed it for the most part. Lots of good individual moments that add up to an enjoyable experience, but I don't think the film is presented in the strongest way. Just some weird edits and cuts, scenes that feel like they should be moved around to establish character. Some of it just felt a little haphazard and could have been edited a bit better.

I'm sure this sentiment has been echoed already - but nice to have transformers whose transformation make visual sense.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hahaha, check out there clever use of launching rockets in the background.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Slutitution posted:

The switching is so constant and totally without rhyme and reason in TLK it's utterly baffling. As if they just randomly used an Imax camera for some shots and a normal one for others with no particular reason why. But it's a totally incomprehensible film on every level so I guess it fits.

Bumblebee is very good and far and away he best transformer movie. Very entertaining and actually has a story, characters, and makes sense as a cohesive film unlike the Bay ones.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

Bumblebee is very good and far and away he best transformer movie. Very entertaining and actually has a story, characters, and makes sense as a cohesive film unlike the Bay ones.

Saw it today and yes 100%.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The MSJ posted:

Hahaha, check out there clever use of launching rockets in the background.

Maybe I’m dumb but I don’t get it. :saddowns:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Maybe I’m dumb but I don’t get it. :saddowns:

The Last Knight set photo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The MSJ posted:

Ohhhhh....

I remember they made an action figure of Kroenen from 'Hellboy' in his Nazi regalia, complete with swastika. That didn't go over great.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

Hitler lost WW2 due to the autobots.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Slutitution posted:

The Transformers movies were so bad they retroactively made the Allies lose WW2.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Slutitution posted:

Fun fact: that building was, at one point, Winston Churchills home.

Bay knows exactly what he's doing

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, the situation was literally that they were trying to free a British landmark after it had been taken control of by the Nazis.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Now now, just because Churchill committed genocide doesn’t mean he’s literally a Nazi.

Or did you mean in the movie

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean in the movie. My point is that Bay isn't making the statement people seem to think he's making.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Nodosaur posted:

I mean in the movie. My point is that Bay isn't making the statement people seem to think he's making.

No, he definitely is.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilmiera posted:

The Transformers movies were so bad they retroactively made the Allies lose WW2.

The Autobots ended slavery in America, too.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Slutitution posted:

The Autobots ended slavery in America, too.

Unless you were a dinosaur themed robot. Then you got the yoke put back on.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, Michael Bay is totally making a point about the British empire with the use of those flags. That's why the story has them be there as the result of a hostile invasion, and has Bumblebee and Hot Rod, working in conjunction with a heroic order established by the divinely appointed King Arthur as well as the British government, there to liberate it.

The text doesn't line up with the supposed subtext. Putting two things next to each other isn't enough when the narrative around it goes out of its way to subvert what you say it's supposedly saying.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Yes, Michael Bay is totally making a point about the British empire with the use of those flags. That's why the story has them be there as the result of a hostile invasion, and has Bumblebee and Hot Rod, working in conjunction with a heroic order established by the divinely appointed King Arthur as well as the British government, there to liberate it.

The text doesn't line up with the supposed subtext. Putting two things next to each other isn't enough when the narrative around it goes out of its way to subvert what you say it's supposedly saying.

I'm racking my brain to remember the scene, but it isn't specified what that building is in the universe of the film, it's just a big building with nazis in it. However, in the real world, Michael bay chose the residence of Winston Churchill and put nazi flags on it.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Winston Churchill was a piece of poo poo anyway, so who cares?

sitruc
Feb 7, 2006
If this has been covered I missed it and I am bad.

A lot has been said about the poor continuity between Transformers movies. Something I noticed here was poor visual continuity within the film.

This movie appears to have two separate robot design philosophies. You have 4 bayformer style designs (Bumblebee, Shatter, Dropkick, Blitzwing) in the same movie with a dozen or so gen1 inspired designs (everyone else). To me they clash so much they might as well be separate species. Or it's like Turtles Forever but the filmmakers forgot to mention they're mixing timelines to the audience.

The fights themselves seem to be filmed and fought different to my eye as well. On Cybertron the fights between the gen1 bots feel like TFTM fights: blast to the chest and fall out of frame with time for adorable quips. On Earth Bee's fights seem closer to the Bay era violence: stabbing Blitzwing in the back, grappling and throwing, ripping Dropkick to pieces.

I'm unsure what to make of this. Was it a deliberate choice to adopt a dual visual tone or simply a designed by committee mix of fan service and maintaining minimal necessary visual continuity to count as a prequel if the soft reboot fails? The former would be more interesting since it allows this movie to slot into the Optimus is an unreliable narrator narrative. The latter seems more likely.

sitruc fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 26, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I would say this film was a mash-up of the idea of a Bay prequel Bumblebee film, and an idea Hasbro said they were working on around the time of Last Knight which was an all CGI Cybertron prequel film.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

sitruc posted:

If this has been covered I missed it and I am bad.

A lot has been said about the poor continuity between Transformers movies. Something I noticed here was poor visual continuity within the film.

This movie appears to have two separate robot design philosophies. You have 4 bayformer style designs (Bumblebee, Shatter, Dropkick, Blitzwing) in the same movie with a dozen or so gen1 inspired designs (everyone else). To me they clash so much they might as well be separate species. Or it's like Turtles Forever but the filmmakers forgot to mention they're mixing timelines to the audience.

The fights themselves seem to be filmed and fought different to my eye as well. On Cybertron the fights between the gen1 bots feel like TFTM fights: blast to the chest and fall out of frame with time for adorable quips. On Earth Bee's fights seem closer to the Bay era violence: stabbing Blitzwing in the back, grappling and throwing, ripping Dropkick to pieces.

I'm unsure what to make of this. Was it a deliberate choice to adopt a dual visual tone or simply a designed by committee mix of fan service and maintaining minimal necessary visual continuity to count as a prequel if the soft reboot fails? The former would be more interesting since it allows this movie to slot into the Optimus is an unreliable narrator narrative. The latter seems more likely.

Based on the attention I was paying to the toyline and news cycle, Bee Movie was being meddled with, universal-stream-wise, probably as late as October, from a hard prequel incorporating the WW2 mythology from TLK up to a hard reboot with a new visual style, but budget limitations and toy production realities did not allow for the principal characters to receive the degreebled, G1-ified redesigns the cameos got once the final decision was made to.make it a soft-reboot that appealed to G1 nostalgia instead of TF07 fans.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Maybe it's just cause I went in with rock bottom expectations, but I thoroughly enjoyed Bumblebee. It's certainly no masterpiece but it's a fun ride.

It really does almost feel like a remake of the first movie (but with more charming characters). I think a lot rides on Hailee Stanfields performance, she does a great job imo.

The action was pretty good too other than one scene that had a very awkward "actor running in front of greenscreen" look.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Bumblebee was okay. The one thing that bugged me throughout was that the robotrons had durability determined entirely by the needs of the current scene, so there was zero tension at the climax because it was obvious there wouldn't actually be any damage done to the herobot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Roadie posted:

Bumblebee was okay. The one thing that bugged me throughout was that the robotrons had durability determined entirely by the needs of the current scene, so there was zero tension at the climax because it was obvious there wouldn't actually be any damage done to the herobot.

Another thing they took from the original cartoon. On TV they survive getting shot and dismembered all the time. In the movie they die with a single shot to body.

I still like that they keep Bumblebee being downright brutal in this movie.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 31, 2018

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
It looks like Bumblebee flopped. :pray:

So the first Transformers film to flop at the Box office both got "good reviews," and was NOT directed by Bay.

lmfao

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They poisoned the well for too long I guess.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slutitution posted:

So the first Transformers film to flop at the Box office both got "good reviews," and was NOT directed by Bay.

lmfao

That's actually a shame. I think Bay executed the franchise like Prime executed Spock

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bumblebee was a pretty fun movie but it was too nice and not cynical enough to be a good Transformers movie. The cybertron stuff was good but didn’t bother explaining much and the ending / credit sequel bait was pretty drat dumb.

I liked the designs of the transformers in the movie and the action was fun but even with them explaining why Bumblebee doesn’t talk it still goes against the entire idea of what a transformers is and can do. just transform yourself a new voice box, B. Or make your Beetle form actually not a piece of poo poo

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slutitution posted:

lmfao
Watching it with non-TF nerds it seems that they miss the Bayhem and insane "plot" of the previous movies. Any TF nerds I've talked to pretty much agree it's the movie we wanted in 2007.

Turns out we were wrong all along and Hasbro's billions made weren't imaginary :shrug:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

My two cents: I'm so burnt out from the clamor of the other films that I'm not in the mood for any sort of transformers movie, despite the good reviews. Often the success of a sequel doesn't hinge on it's own quality, but the quality of the previous film (note: I know this movie isn't a true sequel), and profits from these movies have been diminishing since the second one. I will admit that I liked the first Transformers movie, and may like the new one, but I have no interest in seeing it in theaters.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I liked Bumblebee, it feels like the "boy and his dog" movie that the writers of the 2007 Transformers may have been aiming for in the first place. I don't hate the Bay Transformers, but getting one that's more character-based and doesn't harbor contempt for all of humanity for once is kind of a breath of fresh air. I dug the relatively small scale and low stakes as well.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

General Dog posted:

I liked Bumblebee, it feels like the "boy and his dog" movie that the writers of the 2007 Transformers may have been aiming for

Well they sure left out a lot of rape.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

They poisoned the well for too long I guess.

Or, get this, people, on the whole, didn't hate the Transformers movies as much as Twitter suggests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It might just be that they shouldn't have released it to such a crowded field.