Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
For FF6 D???, would it be better to bring USB1 Mog or BSB Gogo (and have him mimic all of Edgar's Offerings and Snipes)?

Rest of the party is Terra/Sabin/Edgar/Relm, all with USBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

growth eggs -> arcana when

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

growth eggs -> arcana when

IKR?

I have everyone at 99, everyone 3* mote dived, and all RMs unlocked. What do.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well after spending a week at my parent’s house for the holidays i managed to finally once and for all complete all the realm dungeons. now i just need to crank through the record dungeons and then i’ll have to finally figure out what the hell the magicite dungeons are

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Hades is kicking my rear end. I can't recover from the dispel. Can it be magic blinked? Thinking of doing double healing, Larsa and Rosa unstoppable duo and making Ramza dps instead of entrust bot? Post your sub 30 Hades teams pls

Here's what I've been working with and was doing reasonably well until I get flattened post dispel

Actually in my latest run I had given orlandeau makos might to get his usb up faster and it was a huge improvement but still struggling

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 31, 2018

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

well after spending a week at my parent’s house for the holidays i managed to finally once and for all complete all the realm dungeons. now i just need to crank through the record dungeons and then i’ll have to finally figure out what the hell the magicite dungeons are

Magicite dungeons boil down to meticulously figuring out ways to punch yourself in the face repeatedly in hopes that it will hurt less the next time you punch yourself in the face.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is Anima in the CT a nightmare of damage output, or am I missing a gimmick? I think in the morning I'll try a healer, a debuff/support healer (dived Penelo), and leaving one arm up. They don't stay down for any time at all and the counters may be better than the alternative.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Hades is kicking my rear end. I can't recover from the dispel. Can it be magic blinked? Thinking of doing double healing, Larsa and Rosa unstoppable duo and making Ramza dps instead of entrust bot? Post your sub 30 Hades teams pls

Here's what I've been working with and was doing reasonably well until I get flattened post dispel

Actually in my latest run I had given orlandeau makos might to get his usb up faster and it was a huge improvement but still struggling
The dispel cannot be blinked, since it doesn't have a damage component. (Both kinds of blinks are more stringent but at the least they only apply to damaging effects.) It can be blocked with Runic/Grand Cross but that's probably not viable if you cn only stick it on one person at a time. Some thoughts I have:
  • What speed-casting SBs do you have available? This includes Relm USB, Ellara USB1, Aerith USB2, Noctis SSB (no holy boost though), or Aphmau USB (ideal).
  • Are you sure you need two entrust bots to feed the party? Larsa's USB is nice but he can certainly use Wrath himself, for instance. Without digging through your collection I wouldn't know how to replace the slot for Protectga or Hastega, but I'm guessing it can be done.
  • What's your timestamp when Hades throws the dispel? It's a global/instant action scheduled to occur when he drops to <51% HP, so if you're fast enough with your DPS you may be able to use a different healer besides Larsa. Hades throws Black Cauldron at 12.56 seconds in Phase 1 (>80% HP), 6.28 seconds in Phase 2 (80-41% HP), and 6.28 seconds in Phase 3 (<41% HP). Or if you're fast enough in Phase 2 but not so in Phase 3, you can equip Unicorn as your main magicite and hold off on using it until you see the right scripted ability. (Phase 2 and Phase 3 have identical scripting, so each starts with Savage Strike -> Strike -> Savage Shadow Flare -> Black Cauldron.)

Edit:

Bruceski posted:

Is Anima in the CT a nightmare of damage output, or am I missing a gimmick? I think in the morning I'll try a healer, a debuff/support healer (dived Penelo), and leaving one arm up. They don't stay down for any time at all and the counters may be better than the alternative.
If your AoE game is reliable, toss that around just to periodically blow up the arms. Anima resummons them if they're both down after 9 of its turns but that's pretty quick in practice; I assume that its Wait command is really quick if not instant because it already gets 630 SPD. Otherwise, by all means blow up one arm and leave the other alone. Anima will toss weak counters to everything and periodically bother an arm to attack you, but the arm only will attack you after Anima orders it. And I assume this is on normal cast times, because it's notably slower than the respawn time for the pair of arms. You can't block the 35% max HP AoE but it's nothing to worry about with a decent healer.

Inversely, if you have any SB with Runic/Grand Cross you should be able to solo Carbuncle. Everything he does except a scripted gravity attack upon leaving Reflect mode can be absorbed, and both Celes and Exdeath have options for regenerating HP.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 31, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

my advice for hades is to not bother

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

IKR?

I have everyone at 99, everyone 3* mote dived, and all RMs unlocked. What do.

You have my permission to die.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Post your sub 30 Hades teams pls

Fister Roboto posted:

I finally pulled it off. All 4* magicites sub-30.

Ramza has Shout++
Raines has BSB
Larsa has BSB and USB
Agrias has enholy SSB and OSB
Orlandeau has OSB

That's right, no damaging USBs. It all relied on having just enough dps to skip each scripted Black Cauldron so that Larsa's astra would block the interrupt at the start of the next phase. Then I needed Ramza to recast his BSB as soon after the dispel as possible. That was probably the hardest part, I had a lot of failed attempts where he finished casting a little too soon, or way too late.

And then just having enough dps hinged entirely on Raines and Agrias getting their procs off, so I'm pretty much never going to be able to replicate this. But that's OK because magicite crystals are going away next week.

Really, I'm just glad I won't have to rage pull on the FFT banners now.

This was the poo poo rear end team I used to sub-30 six months ago. The really important part is skipping the scripted Black Cauldrons so that you can use your astra on Savage Strike. Timing the dispel is just gonna take a lot of resets to get the hang of.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

what the hell the magicite dungeons are

lol good luck mate

I was so traumatized by how full of poo poo they felt/how underprepared I was when they dropped that I literally put off doing them for like a year, then immediately started sub-30ing the 3* ones on my first go

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

lol good luck mate

I was so traumatized by how full of poo poo they felt/how underprepared I was when they dropped that I literally put off doing them for like a year, then immediately started sub-30ing the 3* ones on my first go

:same:

Though it was less fear and more extreme laziness regarding the Nightmares

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
The stories of Hades bullshit fill me with dread. Pretty sure outside of Unicorn I have no party-wide Astra even though my Holy damage setup is kind of bonkers

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

For FF6 D???, would it be better to bring USB1 Mog or BSB Gogo (and have him mimic all of Edgar's Offerings and Snipes)?

Rest of the party is Terra/Sabin/Edgar/Relm, all with USBs.

Mog USB1 is handy for the quickcast and boostga. Plus his dancing will be helpful for survival. Edgar dived + AS/BF RM will be self-sufficient.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NinjaDebugger posted:

You have my permission to die.

Eh. I started playing almost 3 years ago when the first FFT banner came out. I've had tons of time to get there :shrug:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Didn't some obsessive on reddit manage to get everyone 4* dived? At least with 3* the avenues for grinding are so limited that you're effectively barred from destroying your sanity. As much as I can get and have gotten into substantial grinds (hello, Insane in the Membrane) it's nice to see a game tell you that you really should stop now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ETB posted:

Mog USB1 is handy for the quickcast and boostga. Plus his dancing will be helpful for survival. Edgar dived + AS/BF RM will be self-sufficient.

Mog USB1 is the Proshellga/Hastega & Full Breakdown one, not the one you're thinking of.

I think? I'm really not sure anymore.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

lol good luck mate

i have a sense that’s how it’s gonna go for me too, the pain in the rear end it is to set up for them feels more like work to me than something i’d play around with for a 15 minute bus ride, i’d much rather wait for power creep to introduce a skeleton key i can use to blitz through it all (as it inevitably will) than put in the effort.

that said with the realm dungeons out of the way at long last (i think i’ve been playing on and off since they introduced celes? a long, long time) my list of excuses for not doing the magicite stuff grows very short indeed

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

This was the poo poo rear end team I used to sub-30 six months ago. The really important part is skipping the scripted Black Cauldrons so that you can use your astra on Savage Strike. Timing the dispel is just gonna take a lot of resets to get the hang of.

Wow I really feel my team should be able to destroy Hades based on yours but you do have a much better magicite deck than I do. Maybe I should leave Hades til after I'm able to farm siren

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Bruceski posted:

I am at my wit's end with this boss. As you've said, taking down both arms and then focusing on the body seems like a fool's game. The arms regenerate before I can get more than 1-2 attacks off. I tried leaving one alive, but having every single attack countered plus random attacks PLUS the magic AoE is just too much. I had an easier time with Midgardsomr and Kraken than this.

I've cleared the last four Crystal Towers without much trouble so this is disheartening. :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ziddar posted:

I am at my wit's end with this boss. As you've said, taking down both arms and then focusing on the body seems like a fool's game. The arms regenerate before I can get more than 1-2 attacks off. I tried leaving one alive, but having every single attack countered plus random attacks PLUS the magic AoE is just too much. I had an easier time with Midgardsomr and Kraken than this.

I've cleared the last four Crystal Towers without much trouble so this is disheartening. :(

At least it's good to know I'm not alone. I was trying my water team swapping Penelo in for OK, but Yuffie's not very useful without blinks and I could use an attack up. I think my next attempt will be swapping OK back in for Yuffie as a wrath/entruster, which will cut down on the number of counters. It's a shame the damage is all focused on doublecast/chasers, he counters each one.

Definitely an example of the proper CT strategy of "solve the top boss, then work your way down with whoever's left". Particularly since there's nobody in this one with odd elemental resistances or anything it would be a nightmare to try and do Anima with a smaller toolkit.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Mog USB1 is the Proshellga/Hastega & Full Breakdown one, not the one you're thinking of.

I think? I'm really not sure anymore.

Nope, that's USB2. I am the Mog man on discord, I should know. :v:

That's also a good option. It's actually Hyper Break (-MND) so you can stack it with Full Break and Enfeebling (ATK/MAG) to make Relm's life easier.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Bruceski posted:

At least it's good to know I'm not alone. I was trying my water team swapping Penelo in for OK, but Yuffie's not very useful without blinks and I could use an attack up. I think my next attempt will be swapping OK back in for Yuffie as a wrath/entruster, which will cut down on the number of counters. It's a shame the damage is all focused on doublecast/chasers, he counters each one.

Definitely an example of the proper CT strategy of "solve the top boss, then work your way down with whoever's left". Particularly since there's nobody in this one with odd elemental resistances or anything it would be a nightmare to try and do Anima with a smaller toolkit.

Right after I posted this, I gave it another go with a second healer and won. I'm convinced that complaining to the internet is the best way to beat anything. :v:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ETB posted:

Nope, that's USB2. I am the Mog man on discord, I should know. :v:

That's also a good option. It's actually Hyper Break (-MND) so you can stack it with Full Break and Enfeebling (ATK/MAG) to make Relm's life easier.

Oh, well. I literally just go by the order the reference site lists them in. I learned a thing!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DeadButDelicious posted:

The stories of Hades bullshit fill me with dread. Pretty sure outside of Unicorn I have no party-wide Astra even though my Holy damage setup is kind of bonkers

If you have Rosa USB (or anything else that offers instant-cast MBlink, like Firion BSB) you can generally get by with only Unicorn as long as you time your mblinks to eat the Black Cauldrons. You can do it with non-instant mblinks too but the timing is incredibly tight given that you have to drop it literally between two very specific ations.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Rest of the tower went down quickly. Celes made Carbunkle a joke and the others just got torn down. Another CT in the bag.

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 31, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ziddar posted:

Right after I posted this, I gave it another go with a second healer and won. I'm convinced that complaining to the internet is the best way to beat anything. :v:

Same here, picked it up again and with that swap I got Anima down. The rest look simple in comparison.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

fridge corn posted:

I take it "slow" with my team; I still took one Black Cauldron over 40% but unload after the dispel+re-buff so it was a consistent 27s clear.

Ramza: Chain, LMR1+2
Marche: USB, LM1+LMR (part of going slower was unequipping Marche's dualcast LM2 because I was sometimes getting Hades to 80% too quickly)
Orlandu: USB, LM2+LMR
Tyro: Godwall, LMR
Larsa: USB, Wrath+Curada

Unicorn main magicite

I used Larsa USB to astra the 80% interrupt, Unicorn to astra the ~60% Black Cauldron, then Larsa USB again to astra the 40% interrupt. Godwall to start and after the dispel.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yup, the folks other than Anima are pushovers this month. I barely even gave any thought to who I was fielding for Aranea/Behemoth other than having a healer, just looked for folks who hadn't been used. Granted, I've been playing long enough that I've got some very strong teams, your mileage may vary, but even if you're a (relative) newbie this seems like a good set of 220s to start having a go at CT.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Pulled twice on the new year lucky because I didn't have anything for it.

2/11: Cloud USB1, Bartz USB1
2/11: Bartz enearth BSB, Ellara USB

Not bad at all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

1/11
Bartz enFire BSB

Decided what the hell give it another pull

4/11
Elarra USB
Cloud USB2
Bartz BSB I just got
Bartz LMR dupe

I can use Elarra now after I leveled her up to 99 for her RM.

And not gonna lie was kinda hoping for Bartz Wind BSB since I got all of his other BSBs.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Happy Dupe Year. :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cloud USB2 and Butz LMR, both dupes.

Ziddar posted:

Happy Dupe Year. :negative:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

What's the deal with some of the record dungeons that sit below the mainline ones that don't seem to unlock? Is there something in the above dungeon that you have to do to unlock it?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Water and earth Bartz BSBs, Cloud USB1, and Chicken Knife #3. I now have every Bartz burst except the wind one.

fridge corn posted:

What's the deal with some of the record dungeons that sit below the mainline ones that don't seem to unlock? Is there something in the above dungeon that you have to do to unlock it?

I think some of those require you to pick certain dialogue options.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

New Year's 1/2 Price Lucky Draw:

Welp. 2019? Outlook not so good.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Branching path from a dialog choice in the level above/below it. For example, the most recent record dungeon release had the water crystal section from FFV. There were 2 levels with dialog choices. In the first one, choosing to follow the king opens the next level, while choosing to explore opens the branch to Shiva tower. In the second one, escaping the sinking tower opens the next level, while letting Wedge grab the extra crystal shard opens the branch to sunken Walse tower.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well since i had some downtime this morning and nothing left to kill in the realm dungeons, i figured i’d give the crystal tower a shot and i’d just like to chime and agree that anima was the absolute bastard of the whole thing. i took along what is quite possibly my strongest brute force team and barely got through it by the skin of my teeth.

once he was out of the way though i managed to bumble through the others more or less ok just using poo poo i had lying around. i’d been relying on the linchpin of onion knight’s physical ultra soul break for so long i had forgot how few and far between the hastes/boosts are. i ended up egging red xiii, a character i think i’ve haven’t used since before i could field a full suite of characters i liked, just because somewhere along the way i picked up his ultra and apparently it’s a haste/boost.

to celebrate my victory i decided to throw in the more or less free 50 mythril we got today into a draw on the gau/strago banner, since they’re both characters i don’t have poo poo for and it’s obvious i need to diversify.

1/11, gau’s legend materia dueling mask. i groaned out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

it took too much goddamn pulling but now I have the two best spellblades in the game dived and powered up. Oh, and I got orlando ultra finally, that dude is hard to shop for.