Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I'm pretty excited about it after a quick read. The playbooks + changed mechanics are pretty compelling and give a lot of narrative room to differentiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Yeah, it's pretty cool. It seems to be more streamlined towards and action-adventure bent than baseline AW, as well as a more techno-barbarian kind of flavour. I'll probably foist it off on my poor group, who put up with me wanting to switch games every session.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
There's a bunch of interesting stuff. What sticks out to me is that in the essential threats section, rather then saying "What kind of threat is the psychic maelstrom?" it says to make a Pinpoint.

I'm also curious about what the Gamechangers are going to be.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Really interesting to see the Angel turn to the Medic, which takes away the Angel kit and replaces it with a bulked-up sanctuary that has more narrative heft than the original infirmary I think. The pressure to resupply being replaced with the responsibility to look after a pretty important place is quite a change. Also just noticed that the Unalone gets two choices for Blood, which changes everything.

Also with the clarification to Ψ and Environ, it's pretty cool that the Brainpicker can turn themselves into a vortex of psychic destruction from the jump.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Last year I made and released Rhapsody of Blood with the help of playtesters from here - a game of castle delving and cool boss fights, designed to emulate Castlevania and Bloodborne. Since then I’ve been pondering ideas for a modern-day version, and I realised that the structure of Persona 5 was a perfect fit - outcasts and reprobates raiding the mindscape of depraved individuals to bring them low.
Enter Voidheart Symphony. The game’s in pretty early days right now, but here’s the basic idea: you’re a group of people who have realised there’s a supernatural force behind a common tormentor, and have banded together to delve into the dungeon-shard empowering them and steal that power for yourselves. To do this, you’ll need to investigate them in the mundane world, fight monsters and shards of their personality in the castle realm, cultivate the relationships that empower you, and all the while try to stop your mundane obligations going to poo poo.

System-wise, I’ve tried to emphasise the difference between worlds by using different stat and rolling systems for each. The castle is standard PbtA 2d6+stat, as you’re able to express your full potential. The mundane world, on the other hand, uses a hybrid of Spire’s stress tracks and Ironsworn’s dice: you roll 2d6, and look to see how many come up over your Health/Stability/Standing etc, with 1 being a weak hit and 2 being a strong hit. The goal is that mundane world play is all about resisting the world’s efforts to hold you back, and desperately trying to maintain your effectiveness as the investigation wears you down.
Anyway! That’s a whole bunch of :words: about the game but I hope you’re interested enough to grab the current pdf and see what you think of the systems.
And if you’re a fan of Rhapsody in general, you might also be interested in knowing that we just released seven new playbooks for it, to add variety to your games.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Flavivirus posted:

And if you’re a fan of Rhapsody in general, you might also be interested in knowing that we just released seven new playbooks for it, to add variety to your games.
That’s great! Will this set be coming to DriveThruRPG?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Flavivirus posted:

Rhapsody of Blood
Is this a stand-alone game, or does it need Legacy 2e?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is this a stand-alone game, or does it need Legacy 2e?

Stand alone. If you have Legacy 2e, you can probably massage some of L2e's playbooks into it.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Rhapsody and Godsend are standalone, if memory serves; Generation Ship, Primal Pathways and Worldfall aren’t.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tasoth posted:

Stand alone. If you have Legacy 2e, you can probably massage some of L2e's playbooks into it.

Ah, nice.

Follow-up question: is this a print-and-pdf combo, or just the book?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah, nice.

Follow-up question: is this a print-and-pdf combo, or just the book?

Standalone, yeah, and that's print + PDF - currently £5 off as part of their new year sale.

Foglet posted:

That’s great! Will this set be coming to DriveThruRPG?

Yup, just waiting for Modiphius to get things together and list it there.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Really looking forward to more playbooks for Voidheart Symphony; I've got a stalled Persona game, and converting to this system might be exactly the shot in the arm we need.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Poltergrift posted:

Really looking forward to more playbooks for Voidheart Symphony; I've got a stalled Persona game, and converting to this system might be exactly the shot in the arm we need.

I definitely want to get back to it ASAP! Just need to finish production on the books people have already paid me to make before I can have fun with this one.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

I definitely want to get back to it ASAP! Just need to finish production on the books people have already paid me to make before I can have fun with this one.
Oh man I missed this entirely.
Is this going to be available anywhere in hardback/physical medium after the kickstarter?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Spiteski posted:

Oh man I missed this entirely.
Is this going to be available anywhere in hardback/physical medium after the kickstarter?

Yup! Hoping to put them up on sale once the KS fulfils, so probably June?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Yup! Hoping to put them up on sale once the KS fulfils, so probably June?

Excellent, birthday is July so I'll flick these over to the missus for ideas.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anybody have experiences with Dream Askew they can share?

I want to run a post-apoc PbtA game and I'm not entirely happy with how the stock AW rules apply to my vision for the game. Simply going diceless and more narrative with Dream Askew strikes me as a better option than rewriting all the AW playbooks to suit my needs. But at the same time, Dream Askew is GMless, and I don't want to do that. I actually want to create more distance between the GM and players than is typical, where everything coming from the GM is presented as like news reports, press releases, and gossip. Is it crazy and pointless to change Dream Askew that radically?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
going from GMless to Gmed is a massive shift that will really hurt most of the game’s strengths. You’d have to rewrite half the thing. Plus dream askew is focused a lot on queer people and community, if your game isn’t about that the playbooks are all wrong.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Halloween Jack posted:

Anybody have experiences with Dream Askew they can share?

I want to run a post-apoc PbtA game and I'm not entirely happy with how the stock AW rules apply to my vision for the game. Simply going diceless and more narrative with Dream Askew strikes me as a better option than rewriting all the AW playbooks to suit my needs. But at the same time, Dream Askew is GMless, and I don't want to do that. I actually want to create more distance between the GM and players than is typical, where everything coming from the GM is presented as like news reports, press releases, and gossip. Is it crazy and pointless to change Dream Askew that radically?

If you could give some details about what your vision for the game is and why the stock AW rules don't apply then people might be able to help, maybe there's a thing that is already what you want.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Go whole hog and play a dream apart. Send your characters to the shtetl.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EthanSteele posted:

If you could give some details about what your vision for the game is and why the stock AW rules don't apply then people might be able to help, maybe there's a thing that is already what you want.
On a fiddly grognard level, I really think that changing the way weapons inflict Harm per the Fallen Empires preview is a big improvement, and I would also like to fiddle with the equipment playbooks get in other ways for balance purposes, and reduce the importance of armor. Because of the nature of the game that does mean significantly rewriting all the playbooks. Dream Askew's roles are evocative and don't worry about equipment at all beyond fictional descriptors.

On a more conceptual level, I've made a hobby of watching trashy exploitation films, and in the post-apoc subgenre there are two types. First are the Mad Max inspired ones, where civilization is just gone. The second is the Escape from New York inspired ones, where society is in a state of collapse and there are liminal zones of anarchy. In the long run, the first kind won out in popularity and has more imitators. Default AW falls squarely in that camp, while I'm going for, like, The Warriors and The Bronx Warriors.

Wrestlepig posted:

Plus dream askew is focused a lot on queer people and community, if your game isn’t about that the playbooks are all wrong.
That's the best part. Both branches of post-apoc stories have at least undertones of queerdom that were preserved in Italian exploitation films while they tended to get scrubbed out of the (mostly just lame) American movies that started coming out after the Italian film industry crashed and burned at the end of the 80s.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I have some questions about Rhapsody of Blood

There only seem to be two moves that explicitlly tick the Regent's clock - Shelter (on a 7-9, and presumably a miss?), and Fleeing a Confrontation. R &R implies it does due to one of the bonus options being 'Don't tick the Regent's clock'.

With the Confront move one of the options is to Not mark contamination. Is that supposed to mean "If you would mark contamination at this point, don't", or "You always take contamination for using Confront, unless you pick this option."

When taking a light wound, one of the options is Fall back and Recuperate - does that mean take no more part in that fight, or that explorer returns to a refuge?

During the example of play the characters are rewarded with a blood advance for taking down the acolyte; is that supposed to be standard? Would they have the option to refuse it if say they were already close to marking the 5th blood box.

It also feels like there's a lot of guidance re: the Regent missing from the book - e.g. one of the bloodline moves has the option of Find out what the Regent plans next and when it will trigger, but as presented the clock is a basic Doomsday clock unless there's an acolyte with the ability to affect the mundane world. Is the intention that the GM has a list of things that happen at specific clock segments?

Talking of that Acolyte ability - if more than one of them has it, are they supposed to tick earlier and earlier in the clock?

How many Wards should there be? I'm thinking three or four feels right - thinking the latter part of Dark Souls, or the structure of Venetica.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Angrymog posted:

I have some questions about Rhapsody of Blood
Thanks for picking it up! The game definitely would have benefited from an expanded pagecount, but hopefully I can help you out here.

quote:

There only seem to be two moves that explicitlly tick the Regent's clock - Shelter (on a 7-9, and presumably a miss?), and Fleeing a Confrontation. R &R implies it does due to one of the bonus options being 'Don't tick the Regent's clock'.
Yeah, unless you pick that option the clock is ticked. I've also just realised that I didn't put 'Tick the Regent's clock' in the reactions list - it's totally intended that if the players are kicking their heels you can tick the clock, though this option should be used very carefully.

quote:

With the Confront move one of the options is to Not mark contamination. Is that supposed to mean "If you would mark contamination at this point, don't", or "You always take contamination for using Confront, unless you pick this option."
Again, it's intended that you mark contamination unless this option is picked. I should make these implicit costs more explicit!

quote:

When taking a light wound, one of the options is Fall back and Recuperate - does that mean take no more part in that fight, or that explorer returns to a refuge?
It's meant to be just a story beat of you putting some distance between you and the threat, allowing you to heal some harm. The GM will likely respond by saying what the threat does while you're not occupying its attention, but you're free to jump back into the fight after you've had your few moments to recover.

quote:

During the example of play the characters are rewarded with a blood advance for taking down the acolyte; is that supposed to be standard? Would they have the option to refuse it if say they were already close to marking the 5th blood box.
That's the Victory move (under Confrontations). When you defeat a significant adversary you have the option of adding 1 to your Blood, and raising your Covenant with the others by 1.

quote:

It also feels like there's a lot of guidance re: the Regent missing from the book - e.g. one of the bloodline moves has the option of Find out what the Regent plans next and when it will trigger, but as presented the clock is a basic Doomsday clock unless there's an acolyte with the ability to affect the mundane world. Is the intention that the GM has a list of things that happen at specific clock segments?

Talking of that Acolyte ability - if more than one of them has it, are they supposed to tick earlier and earlier in the clock?
Yeah, that's talking about an acolyte doing something on a particular tick. If there are none of those left, feel free to instead let them know what the Regent's planning on doing when their clock fills up.

quote:

How many Wards should there be? I'm thinking three or four feels right - thinking the latter part of Dark Souls, or the structure of Venetica.
I normally go with one per player, though if I have more than four players I'll combine some of the chosen Breach options together.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 29, 2019

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One Ward per player worked well when I ran Rhapsody for a group of three players.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Thanks for the responses.

Reminded me of another question I had about Covenants. Are both characters involved supposed to have the same rating, or can they be lopsided like Pact?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Angrymog posted:

Thanks for the responses.

Reminded me of another question I had about Covenants. Are both characters involved supposed to have the same rating, or can they be lopsided like Pact?

They're symmetrical - the rating is the strength of the Covenant. If either strengthens it, its rating goes up; if either betrays it, its rating goes down.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Last question for now - do the Founders have wound boxes, or just Harm? And am I right in saying that they only have access to the Confront and Standard moves?

Also do Founders only get the option of Gnosis if they defeat the Regent, or are the Blood rewards available too?

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 30, 2019

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Angrymog posted:

Last question for now - do the Founders have wound boxes, or just Harm? And am I right in saying that they only have access to the Confront and Standard moves?

Also do Founders only get the option of Gnosis if they defeat the Regent, or are the Blood rewards available too?

Just Harm - Wound boxes complicate things a bit and make that opening fight too easy in my experience. They do indeed only have the Confrontation and Exploration moves. They can claim Spoils of Victory if they win and don't claim the Grail, yeah.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I’m running City of Mist for the first time with some friends on Friday. We’re going to cover character creation and the “Day in the Life” session 0 it suggests in the rulebook. Are there any common pitfalls or issues that crop up often in character creation that I should be aware of?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Speaking of Rhapsody of Blood, I have a question about the Holy weapon tag. Mainly, what does it actually do?

I understand that you don't need mechanical effects in PbtA games, but even in the fiction, "causes intense pain" is very vague, and I'm not sure how to make that important when it happens. Since it's also the only weapon tag that's only usable through specific moves, and the tag only applies to a "particular foe", I feel like it should be important when it comes up. But in the example of play, Lucretia gets the Holy weapon tag against the Scholar of the Void, and then...it never comes up again. I just feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Just ran my first World Wide Wrestling session and god drat that game is so tightly written. I'm playing with wrestling fans and they strung together some killer-rear end matches with the system only popping up when it was needed.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Astus posted:

Speaking of Rhapsody of Blood, I have a question about the Holy weapon tag. Mainly, what does it actually do?

I understand that you don't need mechanical effects in PbtA games, but even in the fiction, "causes intense pain" is very vague, and I'm not sure how to make that important when it happens. Since it's also the only weapon tag that's only usable through specific moves, and the tag only applies to a "particular foe", I feel like it should be important when it comes up. But in the example of play, Lucretia gets the Holy weapon tag against the Scholar of the Void, and then...it never comes up again. I just feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Oh, that's a shame it didn't come up again in the Example of Play. So, here's things that a Holy weapon could do:
  • Make an enemy avoid coming close to you once it's been hit once.
  • Plunge it into their hand to break free of a grapple.
  • Make it hard for them to concentrate enough to work magic.
  • Easily break through barriers they've thrown up.
Generally, if you're using a Holy weapon against its intended foe, I'd want the GM to respond to that by taking some of the Acolyte's reactions off the table, and let you overcome the defences and obstacles the Acolyte throws up a lot more easily. This may translate into more favourable framing of the results of your moves, less harsh reactions if you fail a move, or possibly not having to make a move at all - if the enemy is grabbing your friend and you fire a holy arrow at the creature, maybe it lets go of them without you needing to roll Stand With Me?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I just ran the best boss fight I've ever run in Rhapsody. This system is fantastic, and a credit to PbtA as a concept.

EDIT: Scratch that, possibly best session. Top two, at least.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 3, 2019

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

NeuroticLich posted:

I’m running City of Mist for the first time with some friends on Friday. We’re going to cover character creation and the “Day in the Life” session 0 it suggests in the rulebook. Are there any common pitfalls or issues that crop up often in character creation that I should be aware of?

I'll be running this for the first time in a couple of weeks too so although I don't have any input I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you and your group!

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RudeCat posted:

I'll be running this for the first time in a couple of weeks too so although I don't have any input I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you and your group!

I’ll let you know! I’ve been itching to run it for awhile now, so here’s hoping it goes well!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Poltergrift posted:

I just ran the best boss fight I've ever run in Rhapsody. This system is fantastic, and a credit to PbtA as a concept.

EDIT: Scratch that, possibly best session. Top two, at least.

:drac:

E: by which I mean, tell me more! I want the gory details.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

NeuroticLich posted:

Be on the lookout for especially broad tags, or tags that aren't defined enough. The rules mention that a character shouldn't have more than one 'broad' tag that applies to many different situations, but it can often happen accidentally when a player is creating their character and just answering the questions presented for the different themes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Astus posted:

My dude have you seen the Castlevania anime

https://youtu.be/Q_EOHqTwl5s?t=46s

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

My dude have you seen the Castlevania anime

https://youtu.be/Q_EOHqTwl5s?t=46s

gently caress I love that show. That scene in particular, along with the fight against Dracula immediately afterwards, are absolutely 100% my guiding light for how Rhapsody should feel in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So looks like I'm running Rhapsody at PAX East this year. Hopefully I can do it justice; the extra notes here have been helpful in getting how the game works.