Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Proteus Jones posted:

I believe that’s the aftermath of the Hyatt Regency Walkway Collapse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

111 people died.

Also, is that the color of the floor or blood in the right side of the picture.

Oh god,not only do you get your legs pulled out of their sockets but you're basically drowning for 9 hours, yeah i think i'll be giving walkways and escalators a wide berth this new year.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I guess elevated walkways are just a kind of panel, and it's funny how gravity works. Comic even.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The floor was white.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Proteus Jones posted:

I believe that’s the aftermath of the Hyatt Regency Walkway Collapse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

111 people died.

Also, is that the color of the floor or blood in the right side of the picture.
The wiki page is really something

quote:

Often, rescuers had to dismember bodies to reach survivors among the wreckage.[7] One victim's right leg was trapped under an I-beam and had to be amputated by a surgeon, a task which was completed with a chainsaw.[13]

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
ILU guys but you are really harshing the vibe of the .... ~furiously checks notes~ ... Funny Comic Panels Thread.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Look, look! It's a panel. It's not very funny, but no one is dead! much

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Toshimo posted:

ILU guys but you are really harshing the vibe of the .... ~furiously checks notes~ ... Funny Comic Panels Thread.

My bad. I seriously thought I was in the Crappy Construction or OSHA thread.

Mea Culpa

here. Have a montage.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
This is super dumb, but I applaud their commitment to the joke:

Justice League Quarterly #2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Proteus Jones posted:

My bad. I seriously thought I was in the Crappy Construction or OSHA thread.

Mea Culpa

here. Have a montage.

pt 2

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Justice League Quarterly #2.

That deadpan punchline repetition reads like a Leslie Nielsen joke. I mean that as a compliment.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

If the next panel isn't "<My mother-in-law's leg?>" then they didn't fully commit.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
:allears: That is easily the fastest a group of redshirts have ever ingratiated themselves to me, please tell me that they survive their encounter with the Captain's mother-in-law's leg.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Keeshhound posted:

:allears: That is easily the fastest a group of redshirts have ever ingratiated themselves to me, please tell me that they survive their encounter with the Captain's mother-in-law's leg.

They did! The giant leg belongs to Mr. Nebula, who's like Galactus except he redecorates planets instead of consuming them.

Justice League International is really great.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

They did! The giant leg belongs to Mr. Nebula, who's like Galactus except he redecorates planets instead of consuming them.

Justice League International is really great.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Red posted:

Knowing Giffen/DeMatteis I don't know if you're joking or not.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ManiacClown posted:

Yeah given Giffen invented Argh-yle I don't know if this is on point or not

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ManiacClown posted:

He isn't. Mister Nebula also has a herald named the Scarlet Skier, whose real name is Dren Keeg. Spell it backwards.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Don't have the source, but this panel has always made me laugh:

Please don't tell me if it's an edit, I want to believe it's real.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I kinda want to know more of the backstory here.

(New Avengers V2 #7)

Posting some pages from later in the run over in the Badass Thread.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ygolonac posted:

I kinda want to know more of the backstory here.

There's no backstory, I guess Bendis found it funny or something. Later, Ryan North would retcon this from a kind-of-implied relationship to something much sillier in a letters column (that I can't find right now).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Who is Luke in that last panel.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ManiacClown posted:

The Justice League stop him by taking him to Las Vegas where Mr. Nebula is so overwhelmed by its beauty that he agrees to let humans finish redecorating the planet on their own.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Random Stranger posted:

The Justice League stop him by taking him to Las Vegas where Mr. Nebula is so overwhelmed by its beauty that he agrees to let humans finish redecorating the planet on their own.

That issue of JL Quarterly was legit one of the first comics I ever read, and is thus extremely near and dear to my heart and weirdly formative to me in general! I would buy copies of it whenever I would come across one, and it took YEARS for me to realize it was a parody of the first Galactus storyline. All my copies of it got destroyed in the NC hurricane this year though. :(

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

TwoPair posted:

There's no backstory, I guess Bendis found it funny or something. Later, Ryan North would retcon this from a kind-of-implied relationship to something much sillier in a letters column (that I can't find right now).

yeah at the time, SG was still an answer on internet quizzes. No one expected her to become, like, a mainline character so they could imply silly backstory without it actually meaning something

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

TwoPair posted:

There's no backstory, I guess Bendis found it funny or something.

It is funny. :mad:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

That issue of JL Quarterly was legit one of the first comics I ever read, and is thus extremely near and dear to my heart and weirdly formative to me in general! I would buy copies of it whenever I would come across one, and it took YEARS for me to realize it was a parody of the first Galactus storyline. All my copies of it got destroyed in the NC hurricane this year though. :(

The only series I already own and rebought as a collected/omnibus edition is Planetary. The only other series I’d do this for is the complete JLI. Give me all of it, the whole darn thing because I loved every minute of that gloriously silly series, it just doesn’t get enough love.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
I'm way more into European Comicbooks by virtue of geography, but I have to say that when I encountered JLI I loved the poo poo out of it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

TwoPair posted:

I believe the official answer is now that he stole her cab.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Someone post that panel peeking in on the sexual fantasies room inside Logan's brain filled with recognizable super ladies. It's been a while since I've seen it, but isn't SG in there?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Choco1980 posted:

Someone post that panel peeking in on the sexual fantasies room inside Logan's brain filled with recognizable super ladies. It's been a while since I've seen it, but isn't SG in there?

SG, Spiral, Mystique, Emma, The Phoenix Force

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TwoPair posted:

There's no backstory, I guess Bendis found it funny or something.

Ugh. This reminds me of that one goon who made a post about an Illuminati comic where Bendis reduced the romantic history between Tony and Madame Masque into a 'joke' about "lol you slept with an ugly woman".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Choco1980 posted:

Beaten eaten by hundreds of squirrels must've turned him on

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Squirrel Girl was fundamentally a blank slate at the time who had only been written, to my knowledge, by Dan Slott and Will Murray. It's not a hysterical knee-slapper but I don't see it as intrinsically gross either-- in between her first appearance as a teen hero and her long stint of periodic GLA appearances her age was nebulous afaik and vaguely in the range of perma-20s that most minor characters settle into. The joke as I understand it is that Wolverine's past is convoluted and exasperatingly imbricated in every byzantine corner of the MU, which like-- low-hanging fruit perhaps but not necessarily rotten fruit.

The holiday special pages posted earlier were, to me, way grosser, but Bendis is a more readily legible punching bag than Jeff Parker I guess. Although to be fair that Madame Masque scene was deeply obnoxious and a pretty ugly indicator of some of BMB's worst writerly tics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

amigolupus posted:

Ugh. This reminds me of that one goon who made a post about an Illuminati comic where Bendis reduced the romantic history between Tony and Madame Masque into a 'joke' about "lol you slept with an ugly woman".

A woman that looks like Doctor Doom. People like to really stretch that one so they can be offended.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Choco1980 posted:

The take on that that I liked, told by "unpretty" on Tumblr, is that every woman in that scene is posing seductively or coquettishly except Doreen, who's happy and smiling.

Which suggests that one of Logan's innermost fantasies is just running into Doreen under circumstances in which she's actually, genuinely glad to see him.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wanderer posted:

Which suggests that one of Logan's innermost fantasies is just running into Doreen under circumstances in which she's actually, genuinely glad to see him.

I like that. Also it's pretty attainable since she's *always* genuinely happy to see someone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Proteus Jones posted:

I like that. Also it's pretty attainable since she's *always* genuinely happy to see someone.

She is canonically happy to see Wolverine.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Heroes in Crisis #4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its not like you dont have a dozen spares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

its not like you dont have a dozen spares