Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Also, I'm trying to figure out what to pick as my next Audiobook since I'm driving back home after Christmas today, and while I don't get another free book through Audible until next month, I'm happy to shell out some bucks in support of my favorite series, so I'm looking at 'Magos'

Magos is essentially the follow-up to the Eisenhorn trilogy, and I'm not missing any books in between that I should read before, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I remember the butchers nails being really good

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I think you're supposed to read the Ravenor trilogy first. That's what I'm doing right now.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh yeah, I've done the Ravenor and Eisenhorn trilogies, though none of the ones from the Bequin trilogy (?) that have been released afterwards.

/edit:
Damnit, now I'm torn between Lords of Silence and Magos. Magos is twice the length for :tenbux:, so I'm getting more "driving time" out of it, but I really wanted to read Lords of Silence as an ebook

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 28, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Honestly, if you have a passing knowledge of Ravenor and Eisenhorn, you'd be ok with Magos. I thought Magos was alright - I had heard and enjoyed most, if not all, of the shorts before, and the novella was serviceable, but I didn't think it was great. I liked where it started off being kind of a spooky ghost story, but I thought the second half was a bit too long and drawn out.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
If you're looking for Audiobook recs, 'Betrayer' definitely was a fantastic listen. They captured the voice of the Word Bearers and the World Eaters perfectly, it was clear and easy to follow, and the story is one of their best.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Just got back home, went through about two and a half hours of Magos, and it's all short stories so far? Two of which (Master Imus' Transgression, and Regia Occulta) that I had already heard, no less. So I looked it up on Lexicanum and, sure enough, it's all short stories:

Pestilence
Master Imus's Transgression
Regia Occulta
Missing in Action
Backcloth for a Crown Additional
The Strange Demise of Titus Endor
The Curiosity
Playing Patience
Thorn Wishes Talon
Gardens of Tycho
The Keeler Image
Perihelion
The Magos

Is the last one at least a "feature length" novel, or just another, possibly longer, short story to finish it all up. At least the audio length is kinda giving me hopes that it is, because I was done with the first four and half of the fifth in two and a half hours, and since its overall length is listed as twenty hours, I'm hoping it's at least 10-12 hours or something.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The magos is a full length novel, yes, at least by the standards of the rest of the series or gaunt's ghosts, which are all short-ish.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Most of the short stories are also relevant to the novel at the end in small but fairly concrete ways.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I was super sceptic of The Magos when it was initially released because of the length question and waited ages before deciding to pick it up, however I'd fully recommend it as I thoroughly enjoyed it (all of it) on my recent re-read of the series.

Definitely worth buying.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's really obvious when you have the books side by side just how long Magos is.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Not sure if this is the right place but a friend of mine recently won the ‘win the black library’ competition and has 400ish black library books sitting around that he doesn’t want. It was an automatic prize draw he was entered into when he ordered something online.

Any ideas on the best way to sell them? Do you think anyone would be interested in buying the whole thing as a lot at a big discount? He’s in the UK.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is the last one at least a "feature length" novel, or just another, possibly longer, short story to finish it all up.

Estimating off of my Kindle copy, the actual Magos novel is roughly 300-325 pages long

Khizan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 30, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

krakagar posted:

Not sure if this is the right place but a friend of mine recently won the ‘win the black library’ competition and has 400ish black library books sitting around that he doesn’t want. It was an automatic prize draw he was entered into when he ordered something online.

Any ideas on the best way to sell them? Do you think anyone would be interested in buying the whole thing as a lot at a big discount? He’s in the UK.

I would post them all on Amazon. But first I would post an itemized list here tell us that shipping isn't included and asked for a you know whatever is going to make him happy to get for each and every book cuz I'm sure we would all take a bunch of them off with his hands

Tell him you weren't internet friends want dibs

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

krakagar posted:

I know a lot of black library books are out of print. I am sure there are people here who would be interested in some of them if we could get a complete list?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

God dammit, I wish BL would sort out their Audiobook poo poo.

I thought they had, release the book, release the audio version.

But no it seems they've gone back to playing bullshit games.

Not a clue given of when they're planning to release the Audiobook version of Titandeath.

Which I'm admitting is an assumption that they're going to release one, but based on the fact that they did for the previous 50+ novels, I'm gonna go ahead and assume they are.

They seem to have slipped back into playing stupid schedule games since Dark Imperium (the first one) got released, which also got a random delay.

I wouldn't mind but they seem completly unable to communicate their audiobook schedule, either on their own site or Audible. Stuff just randomly drops. 'Coming soon' on Audible for any other publisher will tell you accurately what's coming down the line months in advance. For black library it's :shrug:.

How are they still so bad at this.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Production delay?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Have any books/stories explored what Adeptus Mechanicus thinks of Necrons? Like, they’re living, sentient machines, you’d think AdMech would have an opinion about them.

I know there was the rumor that AdMech was worshipping one of the C’tan trapped on Mars and didn’t realize it, but I don’t know if that’s still true in the current fluff.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Have any books/stories explored what Adeptus Mechanicus thinks of Necrons? Like, they’re living, sentient machines, you’d think AdMech would have an opinion about them.

I know there was the rumor that AdMech was worshipping one of the C’tan trapped on Mars and didn’t realize it, but I don’t know if that’s still true in the current fluff.

Isn't this the plot of mechanicum? Like the dragon gets a new guardian

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Isn't this the plot of mechanicum? Like the dragon gets a new guardian

98% of that book is just techpriests scheming against other techpriests for nebulous reasons.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I’m playing a Skitarii Alpha in an RPG session tomorrow that promises to be a Very Special Holiday Edition. Are there any Mechanicus holidays that we know of? If not I may default to Cogzaa.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PantsOptional posted:

I’m playing a Skitarii Alpha in an RPG session tomorrow that promises to be a Very Special Holiday Edition. Are there any Mechanicus holidays that we know of? If not I may default to Cogzaa.

Patch Tuesday.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Fourth of Joulely.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

PantsOptional posted:

Read only Friday

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Change Control Wednesday.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJedusXPuqw

Thirteen!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

RAMadan

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Format of July.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
ROM Kippurge

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Xenomrph posted:

No single book off the top of my head but they generally think they and their ruins are super neat so necrons are a huge focus for ad mech expeditions.

Basically 9 times out of ten when a tomb world wakes up its because the admech are poking around stealing whatever is not nailed down.

That one caphias cain book on the ice world is an example and uh there were several short stories including the one where a tomb lord or whatever disguises himself as a magos to slowly murder the expedition off.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

"OOooooooohhhhhh shiny buttons... What happens when I press them at random?"

After a point, you would think that the Imperium's first reaction to the Adeptus Mechanicus sending out more expeditions would be "Okay, we're going to put the Inquisition on speed dial, three chapters of Space Marines are going with you AND we're going to have a battle fleet check in with you every second day."

That being said, considering the whole "Void Dragon may actually be THE Omnissiah" and how often tomb worlds in VERY remote locations ("We just happened to look in this one specific asteroid that was once part of a planet in a system who's sun burned out before humanity was past the "Poking things with sharp sticks and wearing furs" stage and we found a tomb world! What are the chances?") waking up is directly due to the Adeptus Mechanicus, I'm wondering if the idea behind it is supposed to be the Void Dragon may be intentionally leading/guiding them there to speed up their awakening.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

God dammit, I wish BL would sort out their Audiobook poo poo.

Meanwhile I wish they could sort out their physical book releases because a whole bunch of books I want to read aren't released according to my usual non-BL retailer. So far I'm waiting for the new Ciaphas Cain book and Blackthorn: First Mark.
Not to mention their decision have the Varanguard book and the new IG book the announced last week as an ebook exclusive for three months.
Black Library is the last bastion of really dumb GW decisions is the getting from this stupidity.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

DirtyRobot posted:

Most of the short stories are also relevant to the novel at the end in small but fairly concrete ways.

I'm two stories away from The Magos by now I think, and now I'm intrigued as to how they're gonna tie in.

Also, I'm digging Toby Longworth, I already liked his bits in the Garro collection, but he's narrating this entire Magos collection by himself, and it doesn't get dull.

Two things, though:
a) Eisenhorns dystaff are apparently all from New York with one exception
b) Good lord, his rendition of Patience's voice is awkward, he makes her sound like a gnome

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

It's not really a book but the Mechanicus game is all about techpriests poking a necron tomb world with a sharp stick. It's supposedly a lot like XCOM in gameplay but I've never played XCOM so I can't really compare. I'm having fun though, and the writing seems alright? :v:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm two stories away from The Magos by now I think, and now I'm intrigued as to how they're gonna tie in.

Also, I'm digging Toby Longworth, I already liked his bits in the Garro collection, but he's narrating this entire Magos collection by himself, and it doesn't get dull.

Two things, though:
a) Eisenhorns dystaff are apparently all from New York with one exception
b) Good lord, his rendition of Patience's voice is awkward, he makes her sound like a gnome

Yeah, Longworth is really good for Eisenhorn. He's got that gravely gumshoe voice down pat. And I agree that Patience is terrible. I honestly don't know what he was talking with that one.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Xun posted:

It's not really a book but the Mechanicus game is all about techpriests poking a necron tomb world with a sharp stick. It's supposedly a lot like XCOM in gameplay but I've never played XCOM so I can't really compare. I'm having fun though, and the writing seems alright? :v:

It's really good. It's similar but not entirely identical to X-COM, and the power curve is slightly out of whack. You have a bunch of Tech Priests who follow you from mission to mission, and are upgradeable with various weapons, mechadendrites, backpacks, special abilities. In addition, you have mooks which you tag along as your meatshields - these are the Skitarii, Kataphrons, Kastelans and Servitors. These guys can get upgraded as part of mission rewards, but they're essentially expendable. Unlike X-COM you don't have any action points, so as long as you have CP ('Cognition Points') to spend, you can trigger everything all your tech priests have loaded on them. Towards the end of the game your tech priests gain so many abilities that it's entirely possible to send one forward, chain buffs and set fire to half the map.

The writing is pretty good - it's written by Ben Counter so while not exactly War and Peace, it's still far and above what you would expect of a game at this price point. You have a committee of archmagi sitting on the battleship directing the team's actions, and all the usual tropes are pretty well represented. There's the Stygies magos who's all about Xenos Tech-Acquisiton = Good, You = Stupid, the Metalican grandpa who quotes random scripture and insists on burning everything, the Skitarii leader who worries about her troops etc.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

The bit at 00:36 is badass. Can't wait to see what his next series will look like now that's he's got official GW backing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Games Workshop next feature animated movie, Soul Drinkers by Ben Counter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's doing a Blood Angels film next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I just finished a short story by Chris Wraight called Unification. Just a simple story about a Death Guard Captain reflecting on his upbringing on Barbarus under Mortarion. It opens on a planet during the Crusade where he's fighting alongside Blood Angels but then towards the end dips into the fighting on Terra post Nurglification.

That combined with Lords of Silence makes me really disappointed that Wraight isn't writing The Buried Dagger and that long time mediocrity James Swallow is. Wraight really nails Death Guard and their whole deal.