Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Doc Walrus posted:

Also what should we do for the first C-SPAM IRON CHEF?

ranch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Oh right about this: C-SPAM Iron Chef starts on JANUARY 2ND. The thread currently leans towards BURGERNOMICS as the theme (ingredients used must cost less than a Big Mac does in your area). We have today and tomorrow to hear other ideas.

C-SPAM IRON CHEF will run until January 15th, and the rest of January will be spent judging each other's entries. In February, January's winner is decided and a new themed challenge begins.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Doc Walrus posted:

Oh right about this: C-SPAM Iron Chef starts on JANUARY 2ND. The thread currently leans towards BURGERNOMICS as the theme (ingredients used must cost less than a Big Mac does in your area). We have today and tomorrow to hear other ideas.

C-SPAM IRON CHEF will run until January 15th, and the rest of January will be spent judging each other's entries. In February, January's winner is decided and a new themed challenge begins.

im glad we're having a third iron chef

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
add me to the pile of Collards/Black-Eyed Peas/Corn Bread on new years group

Uphold Collard-thought

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

What are traditional new year's food in your region, C-Spam?

Pork and saurkraut, like god intended.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Plinkey posted:

Pork and saurkraut, like god intended.

I'm gonna have to give sauerkraut another chance one of these days. Today, though, I'm making beef and bacon stew! Featuring an entire bottle of wine (and I'm gonna finish it off with a splash of brandy)

My favorite color is purple so I'm pleased so far. It's got another 1.5 - 2 hours before it's finished though, so we'll see what happens.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I ended up eating at a diner and got chicken and waffles and collard greens

Hopefully this will make me rich next year

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Well not rich rich, but not in debt

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Sauerkraut is only good with Caraway seeds, and even then mostly only if served with mustard. And kimchi is a superior equivalent in almost every case.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
My family always eats the ritual foods on new years day, so I'll give y'all a trip report after I visit my parents tomorrow

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sauerkraut rules without exception, death to all who do not acknowledge its majesty

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Stew complete! It tastes like magic. And brandy.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

sauerkraut rules without exception, death to all who do not acknowledge its majesty

Ground red pepper supremacy in all things.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

Stew complete! It tastes like magic. And brandy.

has an apartment super or any stranger ever seen your desktop pic

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

i say swears online posted:

has an apartment super or any stranger ever seen your desktop pic

Not yet. I will remain here, lying in wait, until they do

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Crakkerjakk posted:

I'll be honest, I find traditional collard greens overcooked and gross.

This is an excellent vegan alternative that's still quick, simple, and cheap.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Citrus-Collards-with-Raisins-Redux-352451

As is this, if you insist on cooking them longer, but include some spice and grits:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/05/savory-grits-with-slow-cooked-collard-greens.html

traditional-style collard greens are overcooked and gross because they're adjusted for traditional cultivars of collard greens. the hybrid cultivars grown today are bred for fast turnaround and high yield, both of which give a desired side effect of tenderness

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

regular cooked spinach: awful

spinach in any other preparation: p good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

so for this challenge, how are things grown by friends and gifted to me counted? It's not like, a whole side of beef or anything, but rather some favored peppers which retail at like a couple bucks per

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
I'm not sure I want to work with ground beef cheap enough to beat McD's prices, as they buy beef by the megaton.

By "work with" I mean "touch".

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

also does it have to be a burger

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Epic High Five posted:

so for this challenge, how are things grown by friends and gifted to me counted? It's not like, a whole side of beef or anything, but rather some favored peppers which retail at like a couple bucks per

I vote you have to sub the price of whatever the grocery store equivalent would be. Kinda pointless challenge if I can use an entire garden to make a "free" meal

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Loutre posted:

I vote you have to sub the price of whatever the grocery store equivalent would be. Kinda pointless challenge if I can use an entire garden to make a "free" meal

I'm not even sure fatalii peppers HAVE a store price lol, whatever I'll count'em as habaneros which helpfully Kroger allows to be purchased by the pound so they're like a nickel each

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
also are things like pinches of salt and black pepper and teaspoonfuls of condiments considered de minimus or do they need to be cost-computed too

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I'm not even sure fatalii peppers HAVE a store price lol, whatever I'll count'em as habaneros which helpfully Kroger allows to be purchased by the pound so they're like a nickel each

there's a commercial hot sauce called "Fatalii Fire" that's extremely hot but also extremely good. It's surprisingly expensive though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

emfive posted:

there's a commercial hot sauce called "Fatalii Fire" that's extremely hot but also extremely good. It's surprisingly expensive though.

ya it's a niche pepper even among pepper heads, which is a shame because it's also the best

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

mormonpartyboat posted:

im glad we're having a third iron chef

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

is a "patty melt" a burger

*dives into bunker*

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

also also: the Goons With Spoons competitions (last time I was involved, which was like a decade ago at least) were in reality photography competitions, at least in substantial part. How does this one work?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

emfive posted:

is a "patty melt" a burger

*dives into bunker*

ya it is, meat or meat analogue in between bread with other poo poo top and bottom

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

I'd say if you got it for free but didn't specifically ask for it for this challenge (I'm assuming nobody cares that much) then you're fine.

Epic High Five posted:

No, it can be anything you can cook that costs less than a big mac.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

emfive posted:

also are things like pinches of salt and black pepper and teaspoonfuls of condiments considered de minimus or do they need to be cost-computed too

They come out to like 1 or 2 cents, so I'd say it's negligible

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

I'd say if you got it for free but didn't specifically ask for it for this challenge (I'm assuming nobody cares that much) then you're fine.

No, it can be anything you can cook that costs less than a big mac.

awesome, I've got a lot to contribute then, many will attest my open contempt for expensive foods and my love of poverty cooking

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

emfive posted:

also also: the Goons With Spoons competitions (last time I was involved, which was like a decade ago at least) were in reality photography competitions, at least in substantial part. How does this one work?

About the same. People are encouraged to try each other's entries but realistically it's gonna be a photo / concept competition like GWS, except with less actual professional cooks.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

I made the Food Wishes ranch the other day. It was p good; I used Kefir instead of buttermilk though

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

good thing my entry is gonna be so incredible that it will power past the fact that my kitchen is poorly lit and I only have a cameraphone

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Seems like a 5 ounce smash cheeseburger with minimal accoutrements and a supermarket bun could be done for less than $4, even with decent ground beef (20% fat is pretty cheap even if it's not bulk factory-ground beef).

I mean it doesn't have to be two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun does it?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

i say swears online posted:

frankly i didn't even know they farmed bluefin, or any other larger ocean fish. i thought we were still just on crawdads and tilapia, since that's all that's around here

also in your first post i thought you were potentially in japan at an illegal sale lol, but you'd have paid ten times the price

It's very new, and it's still very expensive because tuna are voracious eaters and still need a large percentage of their food to be from actual fish, but I think they're working on a feed that can be a larger portion of what they eat.

So it's still better from a tuna population perspective, but farmed bluefin still isn't that great for the environment.

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017
hi cspam i made some real good weed cookies last nite, it’s kinda late for holiday cookies but these worked super well w/the strong flavor of the cannabutter. i def recommend this recipe with or without the Secret Ingredient

mix your dry ingredients in 1 bowl:
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp allspice
you could add nutmeg but i didn’t have any
a dash of salt

in a mixing bowl, cream together 2/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup white sugar, and 3/4 cup+ butter. (i made my cannabutter w/1 cup to start but i’m allowing for some product loss here)

add 1 egg & 1/3 cup molasses to the mixer & beat into a thick batter. mix in dry ingredients slowly until a thick dough is achieved, like an oily play-dough.

form small balls of dough (i got 30 from a batch), flatten balls slightly, & roll in white sugar. if you wanna get cute, use a fork to gently press in a crosshatch pattern on the top. bake on parchment paper at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes (the cookies will rise, & are ready when they sink back down a bit.) eat carefully

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

good thing my entry is gonna be so incredible that it will power past the fact that my kitchen is poorly lit and I only have a cameraphone

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

emfive posted:

Seems like a 5 ounce smash cheeseburger with minimal accoutrements and a supermarket bun could be done for less than $4, even with decent ground beef (20% fat is pretty cheap even if it's not bulk factory-ground beef).

I mean it doesn't have to be two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun does it?

Doesn't have to be a burger at all, it's only called "burgernomics" because of the price limit