Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Bioshock taught me that a lot of close quarters problems are solved with a shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Queen Combat posted:

Bioshock taught me that a lot of close quarters problems are solved with a shotgun.

A lot of problems can be solved with a shotgun.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Queen Combat posted:

Though you'd think that in a deep water habitat with lots of windows that would also cause exciting new problems at the same time.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Though you'd think that in a deep water habitat with lots of windows that would also cause exciting new problems at the same time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Syrian Lannister posted:

~Kurt Cobain

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Powershift posted:

~Kurt Cobain

Alternatively

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LifeSunDeath posted:

Alternatively

:stare:

This looks amazing

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Syrian Lannister posted:

This looks amazing

It is

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Syrian Lannister posted:

This looks amazing

Watch the gently caress out of this movie immediately. It is highly OSHA thread relevant.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Syrian Lannister posted:

This looks amazing

It's on Amazon Prime I think, well worth watching.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GI9gLFTC-s

It’s spraying out two cubic centimetres of castor oil every second.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You're making GBS threads me!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One of the best ways to combat the effects of castor oil was brandy.

WW1 was full of drunk af barnstorming.

And also a lot of pouncing on the enemy by hiding in front of the sun shooting them before they even saw you and heading home for tea and medals.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EvilJoven posted:

And also a lot of pouncing on the enemy by hiding in front of the sun shooting them before they even saw you and heading home for tea and medals.

Or not making it home, depending on who was better...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_April

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually the trench warfare involved a ton of beating people with clubs.

I had the great pleasure of visiting the Imperial War Museum last year. In one part of their WW1 zone they displayed a wall full of trench clubs / maces / stabby things.
It was absolutely horrifying to see all these medieval weapons.

These were the tools of my Grandfathers generation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUmjLLXl8Y4

Shots fired at 2:50 onward.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

The americans were big on shotguns for intra-trench warfare.

Yep.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

i bet you thought those pretty white scarves were for wiping their goggles

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Syrian Lannister posted:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

quote:

Pedestrian Bridge Collapse In Moscow's Gorky Park Injures 13

Thirteen people were injured when a wooden pedestrian bridge collapsed during New Year's celebrations early on January 1 in Moscow's Gorky Park.

The Moscow mayor's office issued a statement saying that "no serious injuries" were reported.

The Moscow city government said the collapse was caused by "a technical fault in the skating rink's structural elements."

https://www.rferl.org/a/29686321.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcPT9T4duv4

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

This reminds me of Outland starring Sean Connery.

The main character spends a good five to ten minute sequence of that film hiding shotguns around a space station.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
We had a pretty OSHA new year in the Netherlands.
Turns out that it's not a good idea to build two 50 meter high wooden towers and set them on fire when the wind is blowing toward a city.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Lrn_aBfvQ
It made pretty fire tornadoes (and set a bunch of wildfires and burnt a few cars and a house down).

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

NihilismNow posted:

We had a pretty OSHA new year in the Netherlands.
Turns out that it's not a good idea to build two 50 meter high wooden towers and set them on fire when the wind is blowing toward a city.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Lrn_aBfvQ
It made pretty fire tornadoes (and set a bunch of wildfires and burnt a few cars and a house down).
Call that a fire tornado...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsyvOYcWgcg&t=26s

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 1, 2019

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Cable Guy posted:

While you might be right in saying the fire generated a couple of whirlwinds, they're not fire-tornadoes. They would be actually flaming if they were...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsyvOYcWgcg&t=26s

It's what the news calls them, but you're right that looks a lot worse. In the video it almost looks like they are flaming but on closer inspection they are not.

E: https://twitter.com/stefandijkstra9/status/1079898781485879298
These are flaming at least a few meters before they turn into regular whirlwinds.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 1, 2019

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

LOL, it was suggested to the Canadian Minister of Defense by his secretary.

I suspect there was something besides the normal military procurement process happening there...

Canadian procurement is special. Imagine all of the stuff that makes US procurement awful. Combine this with every project being a political football. And a tendency to be cheap in really stupid ways. You get used subs catching fire, pre-bugged military headquarters, airplanes that like being lawn darts and a whole list of just WTF.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Thomamelas posted:

Canadian procurement is special. Imagine all of the stuff that makes US procurement awful. Combine this with every project being a political football. And a tendency to be cheap in really stupid ways. You get used subs catching fire, pre-bugged military headquarters, airplanes that like being lawn darts and a whole list of just WTF.

You left out “actively kills the end-user”, so it’s already better than the Air Force (F-35) or Marine’s (Osprey) methods.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GI9gLFTC-s

It’s spraying out two cubic centimetres of castor oil every second.

I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled to have their cars/homes/yards/shrubbery/digestive tracts coated with laxative.

And I thought running a brush chipper nearby was a pain in the rear end.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

You left out “actively kills the end-user”, so it’s already better than the Air Force (F-35) or Marine’s (Osprey) methods.

The F-35 hasn't killed any pilots yet. The oxygen issues weren't really unique to the F-35. It's basically an issue across the board with most aircraft in the Air Force and Navy that use the onboard oxygen generation system. There is some sort of issue there that affected a ton of planes, including the A-10.

But in defense of my statement Canada acquired 235 CF-104s. And lawn darted 110 of them. It wasn't a great plane for a lot of reasons but when you look at it, the last thing you imagine using it for was close air support. It was prone to all kinds of flight issues, and it had a tiny payload for CAS stuff. However a lot of NATO countries thought it was a great idea. Or the large brief cases full of cash that the Lockheed reps brought convinced them of that. Except Canada. Who didn't get the bribes but did adopt it as a close air support airplane.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The F-104 wasn't inherently a bad plane -- it was just a bunch of different factors coming together at the wrong time.

- it was designed exclusively as a high-speed interceptor and high-altitude dogfighter, roles at which it excelled
- as a result, it was unforgiving at low speeds (tiny wings) and low altitudes (needed lots of space to recover from errors)
- it was heavily marketed and sold around the world and a number of US allies with small militaries bought it
- for many air forces, this was their first high-speed jet, so their pilots had only trained on propeller planes or subsonic jets with straight wings, and weren't ready for the new demands
- these small cheap air forces also tried to repurpose the F-104 as a ground-attack plane, increasing its wing loading (already high) and forcing pilots to fly missions at low level
- the combination of inexperienced pilots, an unforgiving plane, and a dangerous mission led to lots of losses.

So basically it was equivalent to buying a brand new ferrari for a 16-year-old who'd only driven mom's station wagon, and then making him drive to school on a snowy mountain road through a deer habitat.

My uncle was in the RCAF for nearly 40 years and got a familiarization ride in an F-104 in the 60s, and says it is still the fastest and rawest airplane he's ever experienced.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was the also the plane that required a long runway due to its tiny wings and we sold them to countries with short runways in the hills?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here is the f-104's engine-out landing procedure

- 12,000 feet minimum altitude to start
- fly the whole approach at 280mph
- descent rate of 7,000ft/min (i.e. you're falling to the ground at 80mph, in addition to your forward velocity)
- you have a specific 5 second window in which to drop the gear; too soon and you'll pancake at 125mph straight down, too late and you'll land on the belly

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
whatever, no biggie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyBDEG9dg-Q

Nevermind the others who died doing this and how pretty much every air force banned this maneuver.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sagebrush posted:

- it was heavily marketed and sold around the world and a number of US allies with small militaries bought it

That's a very euphemistic way of putting it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If by "heavily marketed" you mean "bribed government officials" then sure.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Still not the plane's fault. Poor F-104 just wanted to fly fast and high :(

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Thomamelas posted:

But in defense of my statement Canada acquired 235 CF-104s. And lawn darted 110 of them.

Wikipedia calls those crashes "teething problems" and "compares [the accident rate] favourably to its predecessor."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Sagebrush posted:

The F-104 wasn't inherently a bad plane -- it was just a bunch of different factors coming together at the wrong time.

- it was designed exclusively as a high-speed interceptor and high-altitude dogfighter, roles at which it excelled
- as a result, it was unforgiving at low speeds (tiny wings) and low altitudes (needed lots of space to recover from errors)
- for many air forces, this was their first high-speed jet, so their pilots had only trained on propeller planes or subsonic jets with straight wings, and weren't ready for the new demands
- these small cheap air forces also tried to repurpose the F-104 as a ground-attack plane, increasing its wing loading (already high) and forcing pilots to fly missions at low level
- the combination of inexperienced pilots, an unforgiving plane, and a dangerous mission led to lots of losses.

So basically it was equivalent to buying a brand new ferrari for a 16-year-old who'd only driven mom's station wagon, and then making him drive to school on a snowy mountain road through a deer habitat.

My uncle was in the RCAF for nearly 40 years and got a familiarization ride in an F-104 in the 60s, and says it is still the fastest and rawest airplane he's ever experienced.

teething problems

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
When your aircraft has a concept album produced in honor of its deep-seated desire to kill its pilot, you know you done good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Lockheed_and_the_Starfighters?wprov=sfla1

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Weird how they are playing the "Hunt for the Red October" soundtrack there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

withak posted:

Weird how they are playing the "Hunt for the Red October" soundtrack there.
The anthem. The anthem never changes.