Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AxGrap posted:

Omg the big refreshing thing about the movie seemed to be black excellence, and afro futurism not appeasing your cynical standard of "wokeness". Why do black movies have to defend themselves on that level when say... spider-man does not.

You’d think a movie about Afro-futurism would find more use for Africa than “oh yeah, those boko haram guys are from there, we’ll show them enslaving a bunch of villagers at the beginning so that our hero can swoop in, kill them all, and look tough.”

Seriously. Oakland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AxGrap posted:

Omg the big refreshing thing about the movie seemed to be black excellence, and afro futurism not appeasing your cynical standard of "wokeness". Why do black movies have to defend themselves on that level when say... spider-man does not.

people tear down black panther's politics because the biggest part of the marvel PR storm for it was how woke and progressive it was while it lionized the CIA, treated a modern day ethnostate monarchy as a good thing, and had the big course correction action by the protagonist be opening up a loving coding camp

but if you want i'll also gladly talk about how stupid it was that homecoming replaced working class uncle ben with uncle elon musk

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Yeah ending the movie with the CIA helping to bring peace and prosperity to black children in Oakland is pretty morally reprehensible!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Dude looks like an evil John Goodman

John Badman

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Woof Blitzer posted:

Wtf does a diversity officer even do

collect 400,000/y

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

AxGrap posted:

all marvel movies are either fascist propaganda or thor: ragnarok

quote:

but if you want i'll also gladly talk about how stupid it was that homecoming replaced working class uncle ben with uncle elon musk

this disgusts me. ive never read a spider hyphen man comic but i watched cartoons as a child, so im an expert on this topic. this is an affront to all that is good & decent

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

AxGrap posted:

the new spider man movie went out of its way to defend itself on this level and is getting the same kind of woke academy award buzz so im not sure this analogy works the way you think it does

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Don't give money to Wakanda, give it to Wakaliwood.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like honestly the only reason were even talking about black panther is because it appeared on basically every single critics top ten list and has been getting a buttload more awards representation than seems rational for a marvel superhero movie and its been getting this entirely on the strength of its worldbuilding that national review blurb i quoted was the only time ive ever seen one of these puff pieces discuss the movies actual plot because the plot is so ridiculous and reactionary you cant call attention to it all if youre seriously going to claim its one of the best movies of the year

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

super sweet best pal posted:

Don't give money to Wakanda, give it to Wakaliwood.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Homecoming was just way too bland to even pull a reading out of my rear end. Black Panther at least had an interesting character or two that gave us something to work with.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tony stark is the real villain of homecoming he creates and accelerates every single conflict in the movie by being a negligent indifferent rear end in a top hat but were never suppose to acknowledge this because the according to marvel branding he's a Good Guy™

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nah its definitely a deliberate thing that tony Stark's fuckups cause most of the major problems in the franchise.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tunicate posted:

Nah its definitely a deliberate thing that tony Stark's fuckups cause most of the major problems in the franchise.

It's because they are the necessary price for having a benevolent technocratic overlord

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Tastykake posted:

all marvel movies are either fascist propaganda or thor: ragnarok

I wouldn't say Marvel is fascist, it's just a strong believer in the value of the military-industrial complex.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Venom was good because it was about a vice reporter killing Elon musk and learning to enjoy being in a polycule

Good clean fun

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Skellybones posted:

Venom was good because it was about a vice reporter killing Elon musk and learning to enjoy being in a polycule

Good clean fun

It was the Black Panther of losers

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

Homecoming was just way too bland to even pull a reading out of my rear end. Black Panther at least had an interesting character or two that gave us something to work with.

michael keaton stole the show in Spidey: Homecoming, best char in a marvel film all year

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

got any sevens posted:

michael keaton stole the show in Spidey: Homecoming, best char in a marvel film all year

I 100% attribute that to his role in Birdman

No I will not go deeper than "they involved superhumans with a bird theme"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Algund Eenboom posted:

Yeah ending the movie with the CIA helping to bring peace and prosperity to black children in Oakland is pretty morally reprehensible!

i watched ready player one the other day and the movie ends with people living in the ghetto calling the cops who immediately arrest the evil ceo lol, never seen such bullshit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Wtf does a diversity officer even do

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

CYA for the college so that they can continue having the same racist policies, but they won't be sued for civil rights violations because they now have black friends.

Diversity officers anywhere are basically professional Black Friends. Superficial corporate wokeness is basically down to an art at this point.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

General Dog posted:

I wouldn't say Marvel is fascist, it's just a strong believer in the value of the military-industrial complex.

imperialist propaganda or thor: ragnarok. or mabye that guardians movie that was about ur deadbeat dad coming into you're adlut life and ruining it

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

well gently caress

ftr he was retweeted by a MI radio guy i follow. so. yeah.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

General Dog posted:

all hollywood movies are fascist it's the defining characteristic

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

an actual dog posted:

all hollywood movies are fascist it's the defining characteristic

Bollywood is the people's entertainment studio. At the end of Singham the actual good cop, just straight up murders the corrupt politician surrounded by the entire Goa police force.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If the Marvel movies were really fascist, I think I'd enjoy them more.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

General Dog posted:

Honestly, this.

The Marvel movies are distilled liberal propganda. Just because liberalism is indistinguishable from fascism doesn't mean you can always conflate the two*.

*You can absolutely conflate the two when debating a liberal or fascist

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AxGrap posted:

Why do black movies have to defend themselves on that level when say... spider-man does not.
lol gently caress off, Black Panther never had to defend itself from anything. every critic heaped it with some of the most lavish praise i've ever seen for a piece of pop culture because it has good casting choices and a political message that lib critics eat up. in today's society, that outweighs the fact that Black Panther is just another by-the-numbers Marvel movie, just like Spider-Man

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Jan 2, 2019

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

General Dog posted:

Well theres always DC

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

General Dog posted:

remember when marvel announced a tie in comic with northrop gumman and fans were shocked and horrified that marvel would consider military contractors to be in line with its brand they worked really hard to show off how woke northrop grumman was too

Gizmodo posted:

Northrop Grumman’s team is also introduced one by one, beginning with Hector Soto, the resident pilot. In San Diego, Heidi Barber is introduced as the team’s former TV star who went on to become a mathematician and neurophysicist who uses her fame to promote STEM education to children. Orville Norwood, located in the United Kingdom, is the N.G.E.N.’s hacker who gave up his life of taking down “the man” in favor of working for Northrop Grumman and being a “team player.” Finally, Alyssa Woo’s bio is given and she’s revealed to be N.G.E.N.’s “revolution sculptor” who specializes in designing the kinds of systems that allow her and her teammates to “merge the human form and cybersecurity structures.”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Can't believe they'd add that kind of propaganda to my comic about a righteous billionaire weapons manufacturer.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

possible hot take: this is the worst time for pop culture since at least the '80s

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
“[M]erg[ing] the human form and cybersecurity structures” sounds like some prime Giger material.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

possible hot take: this is the worst time for pop culture since at least the '80s

It probably seems that way because pop culture basically doesn't exist anymore. The advent of streaming (music, tv, movies, everything) has basically balkanized it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

plenty of good pop culture exists but its easy to forget that because pop culture journalism is fixated around a few multibillion dollar franchises and aside from the occasional meme its nearly impossible to find out about any actual good media from them since everything is reviewed on the quality of whatever political message the reviewer has hallucinated them as having rather than their storytelling

or worse based on the extent they can be compared to major franchises like these are cultural touchstones we should all be familiar with when i grabbed that quote from gizmodo they suggested i read about how steven universe just had its red wedding moment i mean what the gently caress is that even most supposed to mean

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

General Dog posted:

It probably seems that way because pop culture basically doesn't exist anymore. The advent of streaming (music, tv, movies, everything) has basically balkanized it.

Pop culture is definitely still a thing, it's just that niche art and entertainment has more exposure thanks to streaming and social media. The most you could say is that certain competing pop culture products have greater political meaning and therefore cause a stronger divide now than in other points in recent history.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's never been a better time to pick out a niche and crawl into and defend it forever like a particularly pale and aggressive species of crustacean.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

General Dog posted:

but that creates the paradox where people just go with anything recommended to them by the Netflix/Spotify/etc. algorithm. more often than not, that means you're probably going to be consuming whatever those services want you to, and there's a lot of stuff like that which ends up being mediocre

besides word of mouth, the other way you learn about stuff to watch or listen to these days is from critics, and they tend to emphasize whether things have good politics instead of whether they found it entertaining. by and large, those shows or movies are OK at best, as are most widely-played songs. this also creates a huge disconnect between shows that critics like and shows that have genuine popular appeal. i'm one episode away from finishing Insecure and both of these things are true about it. it's aggressively OK and largely forgettable, but you wouldn't know this if you read websites and twitter accounts of critics. that show is catnip to NYC media types

by the way, that's not to say that shows that have genuine popular appeal are good. far from it. typically they're just bad, and some of them have a political message that's just as heavyhanded as critically acclaimed shows but are right-wing (i.e. Roseanne, Last Man Standing)

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:40 on Jan 2, 2019

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Algund Eenboom posted:

I'm not sure why the movie deserves plaudits for the most pampered out-of-touch liberal solution imaginable.

In the world of Black Panther there are no institutions at fault, no reforms that need to be implemented, no malefactors that need to be brought to justice. Racial inequity is, again, something that just mysteriously came to be at some time in the past, and that has no symptoms beyond just a general sense of feelsbad. Anybody who's paid any attention to the news at all can see how ridiculous that is.

But then, actually depicting racial injustice might lead to the movie being called anti-cop, and the audience can't be troubled with that (to say nothing of Disney's bottom line), not least because then T'Challa's solution of "hey, let's dump a bunch of money right here and opportunity will blossom like a libertarian wet dream, allowing the poor kids of Oakland to bootstrap themselves out of Oakland" would look even more farcical than it already does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
"Orville Norwood, located in the United Kingdom, is the N.G.E.N.’s hacker who gave up his life of taking down “the man” in favor of working for Northrop Grumman and being a “team player.”"

maybe one of the funniest lines even written