Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

get that OUT of my face posted:

under george w bush, people wouldn't stop making comparisons to 1984

today, people won't stop making comparisons to harry potter

remember, things can always be worse

Under President Pauly Shore, people won't stop comparing things to My Immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Bogus Adventure posted:

Under President Pauly Shore, people won't stop comparing things to My Immortal.

He said things can only get worse

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008

I screenshotted part of the harry potter lady

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whats really weird is that we actually have a surveillance state now and a media that changes its mind on who the good guys and bad guys are overnight without notice so that particular analogy has become more relevant not less

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Some Guy TT posted:

whats really weird is that we actually have a surveillance state now and a media that changes its mind on who the good guys and bad guys are overnight without notice so that particular analogy has become more relevant not less

Or you can say that the piss tape is a horcrux.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
hagrid is the ur goon

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

you have privilege, ‘arry!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Uranium posted:

you have privilege, ‘arry!

there's a pretty solid read of the books with that as the core takeaway

welcome to this magical world of wealth, whimsy, and wonder made possible by the power of who your parents were, full of a bunch of people having the dumbest arguments imaginable about how exactly to keep the fact they could help the rest of the world a secret

every once in a while we let someone lowborn in because they've tested really well

also we swear up and down our house slaves loving love to work for us

in retrospect JK Rowling being terrified of corbyn should not have been even a small surprise

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there's a pretty solid read of the books with that as the core takeaway

welcome to this magical world of wealth, whimsy, and wonder made possible by the power of who your parents were, full of a bunch of people having the dumbest arguments imaginable about how exactly to keep the fact they could help the rest of the world a secret

every once in a while we let someone lowborn in because they've tested really well

also we swear up and down our house slaves loving love to work for us

in retrospect JK Rowling being terrified of corbyn should not have been even a small surprise

I always love asking why those loving wizards haven’t cured cancer yet. Great way to piss off the fans.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Solkanar512 posted:

I always love asking why those loving wizards haven’t cured cancer yet. Great way to piss off the fans.

“everybody’d be wantin’ magical solutions to their problems!”

uh, okay, that seems fine? magic is infinite and costless in the books so I don’t see what the issue is? they even have that food multiplying spell, why not solve world hunger?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

“everybody’d be wantin’ magical solutions to their problems!”

uh, okay, that seems fine? magic is infinite and costless in the books so I don’t see what the issue is? they even have that food multiplying spell, why not solve world hunger?

Rand Paul voice: you'd enslave wizards to fix everything statist

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

kinda hosed up a few magically privileged people alone are forced to prop up the entire rest of the society with their spells

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
That line is from the first book of the series which was very much a coy Roald Dahl style novel and for worldbuilding a children’s book works out pretty well (same for the bad guy being called You Know Who). The transition to dark YA novel about combatting a supremacist styled conspiracy is the only reason anyone tries to interpret that line as anything but an artifact of a cute children’s book.

Class itself is a loving weird thing in the books that really only plays out in a Liberal Realist manner in the redhead being poor, Harry feeling conflicted about being scores more wealthy than his friends, that having very little magical skill dooms you to poor paying menial positions in the wizard world (Hagrid, the creepy janitor, a bus driver) and that nothing can be done about this.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

like ready player one, it’s a world where you can conceive of anything and have the power to do anything, except for the ability to change things for the better

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

If only animorphs was what broke big

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

remember that guy from the tvtropes thread who thought animorphs deserved priority in the curriculum over shakespeare doesnt sound so crazy now does he

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

remember that guy from the tvtropes thread who thought animorphs deserved priority in the curriculum over shakespeare doesnt sound so crazy now does he

He was absolutely correct. Animorphs taught me to be strong and cool and sitck with your friends and don't trust the authority

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shakespeare probably gets sprung on kids way too early. Start with plays actually written in English.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

how was this movie supposed to be woke again

I saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago while visiting my parents, and it's basically meant to give comfortable liberals the warm fuzzies by "confronting racism" in the most superficial manner possible, which is to say that the word "colonizer" gets used a couple times. Racial injustice is never actually depicted in the movie*; it's portrayed as something that just sort of unaccountably arose due to undefined agents in the past, and which has no visible effect beyond a general sense of discontent (assumed discontent, since Killmonger is the only one to express it in the entire film). Also at the end of the movie T'Challa announces that he's fixing things by bulldozing a section of Oakland and building a coding boot camp. This is meant to be uplifting rather than farcical.

Somehow even this extremely shallow and non-confrontational confrontation of racism managed to trigger the chuds, which is hilarious but will also be used as evidence for the rest of forever that the movie was revolutionary and transgressive.

* The one exception would be the scene where Killmonger lectures a white lady at the British Museum about where their artifacts came from (this is where "colonizers" gets dropped). Not even a minute after this exchange the American-born-and-raised Killmonger swipes a mask off the display from a completely unrelated tribe because it "looks sick" and he wants to wear it. There's no indication that this is meant to be ironic.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

Also at the end of the movie T'Challa announces that he's fixing things by bulldozing a section of Oakland and building a coding boot camp.

thats so stupid i refuse to believe its true but ill probably find out that it is when the movie shows up on cable wont i

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Seyser Koze posted:

* The one exception would be the scene where Killmonger lectures a white lady at the British Museum about where their artifacts came from (this is where "colonizers" gets dropped). Not even a minute after this exchange the American-born-and-raised Killmonger swipes a mask off the display from a completely unrelated tribe because it "looks sick" and he wants to wear it. There's no indication that this is meant to be ironic.
drat, even the good guy in the movie is an American at heart. Guess all heroes need flaws though.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

thats so stupid i refuse to believe its true but ill probably find out that it is when the movie shows up on cable wont i

It's actually a Wakandan Magitek boot camp, but yes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Terror Sweat posted:

If only animorphs was what broke big

Where do you think turning into a corn cob comes from?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Harry Potter is a trust fund kid who drops out of high school and becomes a cop

All the Animorphs protagonists end up hella PTSDed and most are heavily implied to die in a suicide attack at the start of the next big war

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
For good or ill, Wakanda is a pallet-swapped Israel.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

what if wakanda was israel, but only for black israelites

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Farm Frenzy posted:

what if wakanda was israel, but only for black israelites

this is what neoliberals want.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

A Buttery Pastry posted:

drat, even the good guy in the movie is an American at heart. Guess all heroes need flaws though.

his ultimate p;lan is to become an arms dealer for insurgents across the world. he is ridiculously american. the only way he couldve been moreso is if he had traded the guns for drugs, although he never had a chance to take his plan that far, since the cia had to intervene to protect their racket.

we need a version of black panther thats just a thinly veiled adaptation of Killing Hope. the one that exists is already halfway there without realizing it.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/mark_j_perry/status/1079564863435870208?s=21

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tastykake posted:

his ultimate p;lan is to become an arms dealer for insurgents across the world. he is ridiculously american. the only way he couldve been moreso is if he had traded the guns for drugs, although he never had a chance to take his plan that far, since the cia had to intervene to protect their racket.

"Our country just had a legitimate transfer of power from the former dictator to a new one who is hostile to US interests. If only there were someone who could help me take back the throne in a bloody civil war!"

*CIA exists*

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Some Guy TT posted:

The core of 1984 is that the oppressive society perverts language in such ways as to make social criticism impossible by crippling the level interpersonal communication. Hence a society actually afflicted by anything like 1984 would be unable to formulate any criticism, and would instead fall back on drooling about a book for children.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

steinrokkan posted:

The core of 1984 is that the oppressive society perverts language in such ways as to make social criticism impossible by crippling the level interpersonal communication. Hence a society actually afflicted by anything like 1984 would be unable to formulate any criticism, and would instead fall back on drooling about a book for children.

Ha ha, good thing that hasn't happened, ha ha

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

Ha ha, good thing that hasn't happened, ha ha

:thejoke:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

steinrokkan posted:

You you're saying it's like a spell?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Wtf does a diversity officer even do

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Woof Blitzer posted:

Wtf does a diversity officer even do

CYA for the college so that they can continue having the same racist policies, but they won't be sued for civil rights violations because they now have black friends.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Seyser Koze posted:

I saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago while visiting my parents, and it's basically meant to give comfortable liberals the warm fuzzies by "confronting racism" in the most superficial manner possible, which is to say that the word "colonizer" gets used a couple times. Racial injustice is never actually depicted in the movie*; it's portrayed as something that just sort of unaccountably arose due to undefined agents in the past, and which has no visible effect beyond a general sense of discontent (assumed discontent, since Killmonger is the only one to express it in the entire film). Also at the end of the movie T'Challa announces that he's fixing things by bulldozing a section of Oakland and building a coding boot camp. This is meant to be uplifting rather than farcical.

Somehow even this extremely shallow and non-confrontational confrontation of racism managed to trigger the chuds, which is hilarious but will also be used as evidence for the rest of forever that the movie was revolutionary and transgressive.

Omg the big refreshing thing about the movie seemed to be black excellence, and afro futurism not appeasing your cynical standard of "wokeness". Why do black movies have to defend themselves on that level when say... spider-man does not.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

AxGrap posted:

Omg the big refreshing thing about the movie seemed to be black excellence, and afro futurism not appeasing your cynical standard of "wokeness". Why do black movies have to defend themselves on that level when say... spider-man does not.

All marvel movies suck, black panther isn't an exception, hth.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Wow dude you picked a real winner

https://twitter.com/Mark_J_Perry/status/1079819940734095360

https://twitter.com/Mark_J_Perry/status/1078724572072067075

https://twitter.com/Mark_J_Perry/status/1078381819245010944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

:thejoke:

AxGrap posted:

Beale Street is actually a good movie about being black in america