Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I hope we get a Direct in January with Animal Crossing news. I just need more Animal Crossing so badly please Nintendo

I'm just getting hype withdrawal. Maybe it's a new year thing.

It's still pretty funny that Isabelle was only introduced with New Leaf and instantly became the face of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Croccers posted:

Nah they're just another stubborn Japanese dev.
The Yakuza devs still don't have regular auto-saves, only having prompts at the end of chapters. Hell it took at least 9 or 10 games to add being able to save from the pause menu instead of running to an in-game save point.

The new PS4 Yakuzas on Dragon Engine have auto-save.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly can't wait for those three PS4 remasters to get released. I also really wish that twin-stick peripheral wasn't obscenely expensive.

It sucks that they're so expensive but the things only exist because of one super turbo-fan having his own company capable of bankrolling them. I'm glad they exist period, even if they're like $300.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Policenaut posted:

Kiwami 2 doesn't. For some loving reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just getting hype withdrawal. Maybe it's a new year thing.

It's still pretty funny that Isabelle was only introduced with New Leaf and instantly became the face of the franchise.

Isabelle's one of those characters that is a solution to a problem no-one thought of. Tom Nook's pretty recognizable as well, but you don't really want the nearest thing to a villain to be the face of your franchise and the other characters are relatively-secondary by design. A cheerful assistant is someone who directly interacts with the player at every step, and is instantly recognizable as a result.

Policenaut posted:

It sucks that they're so expensive but the things only exist because of one super turbo-fan having his own company capable of bankrolling them. I'm glad they exist period, even if they're like $300.

Oh I fully appreciate that they exist, and I will be keeping an eye out for one at anything close to a reasonable price. The only reason I don't own the Dreamcast one is the Virtua-On game on it wasn't released in PAL regions :sigh:.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tom Nook ain't ever been a villain. Dude hands out zero interest unlimited term pay as you will loans, and gives the player most of their money. Him being a villain or sinister in literally any way was always weird fanfiction.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Kiwami 2 doesn't. For some loving reason.

I guess 6 went really hard on the whole Kiryu Has A Smart Phone deal? Does Judge Eyes have auto save?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Tom Nook ain't ever been a villain. Dude hands out zero interest unlimited term pay as you will loans, and gives the player most of their money. Him being a villain or sinister in literally any way was always weird fanfiction.

His loans were forced in a lot of the earlier games. By New Leaf a lot of the bite out of characters like Risetti and Nook were gone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I can appreciate them dialing down Resetti because he was actually frightening kids, but damned if I don't miss how furious he could get.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

flirty dental hygienist posted:

Oh, on my wish list I have - Enter the Gungeon, Celeste, Golf Story, Zelda, Street Fighter 30th Collection, Furi, Hyper Light Drifter, Wizard of Legend, Transistor, Victor Vran, Skyrim, Mario Tennis, Moonlighter, Dead Cells. So any feedback on those games would be nice. I don't like overly difficult games either.

TLDR - Give me game suggestions similar to Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley/Diablo 3. Open World, sandbox, loot collecting/grinding. Thanks!

Seconding Dragon Quest Builders and Zelda.

Based on your description, you might like Starlink. It’s open world spaceship adventure and I think the Deluxe version (which avoids all the toys junk) is on sale right now.you fly around and there are lots of quick activities to rank up your weapone, ships, pilot, gear, buildings etc.

You might also like Atelier Lydie & Suelle, depending on your tolerance for anime teens. It’s a chill game about collecting materials, doing a good crafting mini game, and ranking up your alchemy shop.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is sort of not what you described at all (it’s a series of puzzle levels) but it kind of might work for you because each level is really short and the whole package is charming.

Skyrim goes on sale for $30 often, so yeah, I’d wait. You say want games like Diablo 3 so just to be clear: You know Diablo 3 is on the Switch, yeah?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

So I had a gift card and bought the Road Rash inspired game I posted about a few weeks ago, Road Redemption.

It's fun. It's not going to win game of the year, and it's not the prettiest game, but it is fun. You race motorcycles while beating the poo poo out of your opponents with weapons, all while rocking out to the generic butt rock soundtrack. You earn money and can upgrade your stuff. There's quick play, multiplayer, and a campaign mode that's randomized every time you start.

I don't regret buying it, and if you have any eShop credit laying around you should check it out. Maybe watch a YouTube video if you're unsure.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Shikantaza posted:

Is night in the woods worth it or should I wait for a sale?

I bought it in november at full price and a then during holiday sales it went on sale and that didn't feel bad. Game was great and I am glad I experienced it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ciaphas posted:

Oh come on that is not loving :corsair: knowledge

... oh god, is it? :ohdear:

The first Virtual On game came out in 1995 it's old enough to drink

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Child of Light is cute and fairly challenging and I like the music a lot. A good ten dollar game (it's on sale rn)

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

doingitwrong posted:

Seconding Dragon Quest Builders and Zelda.

Based on your description, you might like Starlink. It’s open world spaceship adventure and I think the Deluxe version (which avoids all the toys junk) is on sale right now.you fly around and there are lots of quick activities to rank up your weapone, ships, pilot, gear, buildings etc.

You might also like Atelier Lydie & Suelle, depending on your tolerance for anime teens. It’s a chill game about collecting materials, doing a good crafting mini game, and ranking up your alchemy shop.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is sort of not what you described at all (it’s a series of puzzle levels) but it kind of might work for you because each level is really short and the whole package is charming.

Skyrim goes on sale for $30 often, so yeah, I’d wait. You say want games like Diablo 3 so just to be clear: You know Diablo 3 is on the Switch, yeah?

Yeah, I know D3 is on the Switch, but I missed the sale and don't feel like the game is worth $60. I know you get the expansion and the Necromancer pack, but I'll hold off until another sale. I own it on PC so that's why I was looking for something similar on Switch.

I'll check out the other games you mentioned in the morning. Thanks for the suggestions

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Policenaut posted:

His loans were forced in a lot of the earlier games. By New Leaf a lot of the bite out of characters like Risetti and Nook were gone.

Not just them, the villagers in general got super snippy in the earlier titles at times and went for some deep cuts occasionally. That's pretty much gone now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not just them, the villagers in general got super snippy in the earlier titles at times and went for some deep cuts occasionally. That's pretty much gone now.

It’s a shame. I miss half the town being utter shits. It was more realistic that way.:v:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Heath posted:

Child of Light is cute and fairly challenging and I like the music a lot. A good ten dollar game (it's on sale rn)

I can't get over the syrupy dialogue. Does it get any less grating?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Apologies to any Smash Brethren who end up on a team with me during this trying time because I'm going for the "play online with 30 different characters" cheevo

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I bought Night in the Woods at launch thinking that it was going to be like a point and click adventure game, but it's actually more like a visual novel where you happen to get to move your character around the screen. It's a nice enough story that I didn't feel completely ripped off, but if you buy it be aware that there is almost no actual gameplay.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Excuse you, there's a whole little dungeon crawler thing in there and band practise

Do not disparage Witch Blade or whatever it was called

and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaH06PkGuQ4

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Totally worth it, just remember it’s more of a story than a game.

E: you’re paying for a very good interactive book

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I bought Night in the Woods at launch thinking that it was going to be like a point and click adventure game, but it's actually more like a visual novel where you happen to get to move your character around the screen. It's a nice enough story that I didn't feel completely ripped off, but if you buy it be aware that there is almost no actual gameplay.
I don't think either of these comparisons work at all. It implies that you're just clicking through the story, which you aren't and shouldn't.

90% of the writing in the game is optional and gotten through interacting with objects and NPCs, in a fashion more similar to an RPG than a book or a visual novel. If you just go from point A to point B in the story you'll be missing out on most of the best writing the game as to offer, which is pretty silly in a game that's all about the writing. It's the kind of game where you want to go around and talk to all the NPCs and look at all the things each day, and the platforming works pretty well with this since new areas open up throughout the game with new npcs and more stuff to look at :3:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The band practice sessions were pretty terrible, but at least they didn't requite clearing them with any passing grade.

They should have put in the option to knife-fight every resident, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If you miss out on Selmers' poetry night in the library you should be arrested

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Knorth posted:

Excuse you, there's a whole little dungeon crawler thing in there and band practise

and this

xbox style button prompts should be illegal

either put the letters in the right place (i.e. not rear end backwards) or use cardinal directions like switch games do

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What's the general feeling about Octopath? Is there anything to it besides the character openings?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Knorth posted:

and this

Demontower and it plays like Hyper Light Drifter, which is awesome. You guys are making me want to replay NitW.

SelenicMartian posted:

What's the general feeling about Octopath? Is there anything to it besides the character openings?

Pretty good if flawed. You'll enjoy the first 30 hours probably, if you liked the demo, getting through the first two-three chapters of each character is pretty fun, after that it's more of the same, it's never bad, but it's just a bit repetitive. Lacks a lot of quality of life features in my opinion.

The lack of JRPG's on the Switch means it's easily the best if not one of them, but I think it could be out-classed by other games were they around.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

I'm not sure I understand the second question, but Octopath is a great oldschool (for better or worse) JRPG

there's no QOL stuff like in Bravely so you'll be doing a lot of random battles but the combat system is fun and once you start multiclassing the game really opens up. The character storylines are fairly small in scope (no typical save the world/kill god jrpg story if that's important to you) but they do get more interesting as you progress, since each chapter 1 is basically a tutorial/introduction. I only got really into the game once I started doing chapter 2's.

also pick Tressa as your main character

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tressa's cute and fun, but no way is she the best main. I took Cyrus and his finding out a weakness every battle is very convenient. Therion is great for the chests, but I did not like his personality. I'd say Alfyn is probably the best because of how useful concoct is, and his story is very similar to Tressa's. There's really no wrong choice but still.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Tressa's cute and fun, but no way is she the best main. I took Cyrus and his finding out a weakness every battle is very convenient. Therion is great for the chests, but I did not like his personality. I'd say Alfyn is probably the best because of how useful concoct is, and his story is very similar to Tressa's. There's really no wrong choice but still.

Alfyn is way less cool than Tressa

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Octopath is pretty good gameplay wise however the story is pretty run of the mill and outside of a little blurb at the end of the game the character stories are independent from each other so if you’re looking for deep intertwined stories you’d be disappointed but if you care more of fun RPG gameplay you’ll like it, imho

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can appreciate them dialing down Resetti because he was actually frightening kids, but damned if I don't miss how furious he could get.

It's not Nintendo nor Resetti's fault that kids are just so drat soft these days, but even I would agree that a line like "what the gently caress were you thinking, you stupid little poo poo?! Do you want us all to die?" in Wild World was just too over the top.

I feel like if I were a kid playing Animal Crossing for the first time, the gyroids would scare me more than Resetti. Just something about that weird... violent bobbling around while stuck in the ground... cactus with a face...

Ugh need that Animal Crossing game now. It could be New Leaf Remastered and I wouldn't mind a bit.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 1, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I mean other than being just the best character she is also hella powerful and can carry you through a lot of the game just by throwing money at things (I think she's the only character who can one-shot their first boss) and once you get some good multiclassing she can just break the game. There's never a bad time to have Tressa in your party

Alfyn is also a very good boy though

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just remembered to redeem gold coins for the games I purchased this year. It allowed me to purchase Into the Breach for $0.96. :)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ok I didn't expect much from botw for some reason and this game is amazing. My gf and I just spent our hung over new years day transfixed by this game and it was suddenly midnight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Ok I didn't expect much from botw for some reason and this game is amazing. My gf and I just spent our hung over new years day transfixed by this game and it was suddenly midnight.
oh man, I remember being the same

I didn't really follow the pre-release stuff other than seeing some footage when they announced it and hearing that it was going to be another open world game so I just kinda figured it wasn't for me. The game released and everyone kept praising the heck out of it so I decided fine, I'll try it, and uh... a couple of hundred hours later

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I started playing Flame in the Flood and put "Bird Box" on, having no idea what it's about. Holy poo poo was that the worst possible choice. I got so wound up I had to stop playing the game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Wrong thread

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Your Computer posted:

oh man, I remember being the same

I didn't really follow the pre-release stuff other than seeing some footage when they announced it and hearing that it was going to be another open world game so I just kinda figured it wasn't for me. The game released and everyone kept praising the heck out of it so I decided fine, I'll try it, and uh... a couple of hundred hours later

The BotW world is crafted so well together and has such a sense of exploration and discovery I am kind of nervous there is no way for the next Zelda to top it. Like for sure they can add and tweak some stuff like combat and adding dungeons but I don’t know how they’ll beat the overall feeling of BotW

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The BotW world is crafted so well together and has such a sense of exploration and discovery I am kind of nervous there is no way for the next Zelda to top it. Like for sure they can add and tweak some stuff like combat and adding dungeons but I don’t know how they’ll beat the overall feeling of BotW

I'd be up for a direct sequel in the same world. Like, 100 years later so stuff has changed a lot but it's still recognizably the Hyrule from BotW. More populated, so you meet more people and there's more little human stories like that bird lady who lost her kid.

I read the BotW artbook recently and drat, there is a lot of stuff I never saw. Apparently you can help build a town out of storage containers?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The only thing I missed from classic Zeldas in BotW was having big dungeons. The Divine Beasts are the closest you get but they're really short. But I do love the idea of these big roaming "living" dungeons you can see from across the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I liked the Divine Beasts but I think I'd actually like it even more if the next one just had a bunch of large non-puzzly, but intricate, areas like Hyrule Castle, which you'd have to dip into multiple times because of all the passages and approaches.

Also when I first encountered the final form of Ganon I was excited because I thought it was going to chase me throughout Hyrule in a sort-of world tour final battle, but no, you're just running around the field by the castle.