Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Thread ain't over yet. At least a year of movie leaks and speculation ahead of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Thread ain't over yet. At least a year of movie leaks and speculation ahead of us.
I'm so drat conflicted, because part of me wants a great Dune movie to be made, but with Those Who Must Not Be Named being involved, at least on paper, I fear that it'll turn out poo poo just by association.

Yet at the same time, I do think Denis Villeneuve is one of the few directors who has even a chance of pulling it off, and not give us something that is by all meassures a servicable David Lynch movie but not worth watching as a Dune movie unless you go to the trouble of finding the Alternative Edition Redux that Spicediver made, after having basically taught himself movie editing making two other attemps and which may have started his career as an editor (at least according to one rumor I've heard).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I beliueve in Villanueve

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dune: Genesis is worth reading just for the phrase "pot of message".

https://vasil.ludost.net/dunegenesis.pdf

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I beliueve in Villanueve

:same:, I watched Bladerunner 2049 again over the weekend and it's so drat good. I cannot wait to see what he does with the worldbuilding in Dune.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Keep dune weird

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

priznat posted:

:same:, I watched Bladerunner 2049 again over the weekend and it's so drat good. I cannot wait to see what he does with the worldbuilding in Dune.

Maybe we'll get REAL ornithopters this time!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I feel dumb that I never realized CYBERTREX == CYBER-T-REX until that post last page.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm so drat conflicted, because part of me wants a great Dune movie to be made, but with Those Who Must Not Be Named being involved, at least on paper, I fear that it'll turn out poo poo just by association.

I can almost guarantee you the extent of @duneauthor's involvement is going to be a couple set visits, an intern who'll politely listen to his dumbdick ideas when he calls and then do nothing with them, and maybe a taped interview for the DVD extras that'll ultimately be reduced to the video equivalent of a pull quote.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Communist Walrus posted:

I can almost guarantee you the extent of @duneauthor's involvement is going to be a couple set visits, an intern who'll politely listen to his dumbdick ideas when he calls and then do nothing with them, and maybe a taped interview for the DVD extras that'll ultimately be reduced to the video equivalent of a pull quote.

:gizz:ing at this post

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah Villeneuve kept Ridley “Aliens Covenant” Scott the gently caress away from BR2049 so it is safe from hack spawns.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Malcolm XML posted:

Keep dune weird

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's 4 am,and I just woke up and had to share the dream I just had.

Was in a movie theater,watching trailers and there was a Sixth Sense-era Bald Bruce Willis in a TERMINATOR II movie, that had it starting with him in a drop pod entering a planet's atmosphere.

And then there was BRUCE WILLIS in a combined Live action, part cartoon movie as BATMAN but it was all done like Batman: The animated series.

Unfortunatly, I lost what the third BRUCE WILLIS movie was.

Anyway, made a stop at a thrift store and found an entire hard back ex-library copies of the Dune Series.

I wish I could remember what that last movie was. I remember saying " I can't remember the last time I was excited for a movie,and now theres 2 or three I'm excited for!"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Communist Walrus posted:

I loving well hope so.
I refuse to call him that.

priznat posted:

Yeah Villeneuve kept Ridley “Aliens Covenant” Scott the gently caress away from BR2049 so it is safe from hack spawns.
That's at least a comforting sign that he'll do it right.
We'll see.

Speaking of casting suggesting as the thread has sometimes, I had the idea that Morgan Freeman as Thufir Hawat might be an excellent choice - Hawat is mentioned to have a seamed old face, and even the word storm-leathered is used. Yet for all that, he's also described as someone so imposing that even the emperor fears him, and Morgan Freeman fits the bill to a tee in my mind.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

I loving well hope so.
I refuse to call him that.

That's at least a comforting sign that he'll do it right.
We'll see.

Speaking of casting suggesting as the thread has sometimes, I had the idea that Morgan Freeman as Thufir Hawat might be an excellent choice - Hawat is mentioned to have a seamed old face, and even the word storm-leathered is used. Yet for all that, he's also described as someone so imposing that even the emperor fears him, and Morgan Freeman fits the bill to a tee in my mind.

Speaking of leather faces, Lance Henriksen might work for that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Isn’t Freeman now PNG for being a sexpest? I can never keep up anymore.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

priznat posted:

all Harkonnens played by sexpests. Louis CK as Rabban?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

all Harkonnens played by sexpests. Louis CK as Rabban?

Harvey Weinstein as the baron!

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Kevin spacey in a fat guy suit as the baron

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Oh poo poo, is he? Welp, so much for that idea.

The reason I thought of Morgan Freeman is based on the first description of Thufir Hawat that we get: "Hawat's eyes were two
pools of alertness in a dark and deeply seamed face." Perhaps even more fit for the role would be someone like William Todd (who's had one hell of a hard life). The eyes standing out as the first thing you notice fits William Todd to a tee, but I don't know if he can act.

Shaddak posted:

Speaking of leather faces, Lance Henriksen might work for that.
Hmm, it's possible - it's not who I have in my minds eye, but that's not to say that it's wrong. Frank Herbert was fantastically verbose about a lot of descriptive stuff, but skin color isn't really something I recall being very present.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, James Earl Jones!

Look at this image and tell me that he couldn't do "Those sounds could be immitated"! I'm clearly biased because of the audiobooks here, but the way Scott Brick says that very phrase in the audiobooks sounds not too dissimilar to some of the many voices James Earl Jones has done over the years.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 1, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
James Earl Jones is also like a million and I don’t think he’s in great health these days.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
How about Andre Braugher? Though he'd probably make a better Gurney.

Or do a Star Trek and have everyone played by Jeffrey Combs?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Jeffrey Combs would probably be a great Pitr

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Are you sure he wouldn't be a better Wizard of GoreLiet Kynes?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 2, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Danny Trejo for Thufir. Or somebody anyway.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Eric Andre as Feyd

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Mister Speaker posted:

Eric Andre as Feyd

Bird up!

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Danny trejo as feyd and he dual wields machetes in the gladiator scene.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

adebisi lives posted:

Danny trejo as feyd and he dual wields machetes in the gladiator scene.

Lovely Feyd

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Matt Ryan as Feyd. Meta as gently caress --- Matt playing a character once played by Sting, who was the basis for a character in comics (Constantine), who Matt currently plays on tv.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Matt Ryan as Feyd

The quarterback?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The quarterback?

Lovely fade

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
In all seriousness, what do you guys think of Shohreh Aghdashloo as RM Mohiam? She plays Avasarala in The Expanse.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

She's very good in The Expanse, so assuming she's got the time she'd be a great pick!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Genderswapped dune

female Paul, didn't think further than that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Idaho.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BONGHITZ posted:

Genderswapped dune
:hmmyes:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

Genderswapped dune

female Paul, didn't think further than that.

ah yes the bene gesserit, a secretive order of incredibly wise and strong men who go around knocking up leaders as part of a centuries-long breeding program. All so they can produce a woman that can finally operate ~on their level~

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

ah yes the bene gesserit, a secretive order of incredibly wise and strong men who go around knocking up leaders as part of a centuries-long breeding program. All so they can produce a woman that can finally operate ~on their level~

And one day, they will face The Honored Misters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Dadliest Worrier posted:

And one day, they will face The Honored Misters.