Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

looks delicious, what am I missing?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the ethical consumption under capitalism

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Do I eat the paper? Is it matcha flavoured?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Truga posted:

the ethical consumption under capitalism

It's two different types of organic, C02 compensated, fair trade and grown exclusively by women.

I bought a pack. I am now extremely ethical.

White Rock has issued a correction as of 15:09 on Jan 1, 2019

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
its packaged like a drat iphone

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

other people posted:

its packaged like a drat iphone

Everything possible should use cardboard packaging

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/technology/human-resources-artificial-intelligence-humu.html?partner=IFTTT

Sometimes all we need is a nudge in the right direction!

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think after global warming the unholy alliance between capital and big tech is the most disturbing part of modern western society

Whether you’re at work or just living your life it’s become impossible to escape. Everything is metrics and numbers and finding new ways to distract and corral people’s behavior

Scary! has issued a correction as of 15:46 on Jan 1, 2019

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Scary! posted:

I think after global warming the unholy alliance between capital and big tech is the most disturbing part of modern western society

Whether you’re at work or just living your life it’s become impossible to escape. Everything is metrics and numbers and finding new ways to distract and corral people’s behavior

The soviets had wet dreams about being this effective. they had to threaten death or the gulag, everyone here does it voluntarily.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Technology has failed us

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Scary! posted:

Technology has failed us

Science gave us nuclear weapons. So there's that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

White Rock posted:

It's two different types of organic, C02 compensated, fair trade and grown exclusively by women.

extra dark roast trash though :(

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

me: *12 hours in to my 24 hour shift in the dirt factory*

my phone: HAVE YOU EATEN YOUR VEGETABLES

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

I...what...how...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mycomancy posted:

I...what...how...

All rounds lead to consumption. Spend, spend, spend Value Customer. Fulfill your function in society.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rarity posted:

All rounds lead to consumption. Spend, spend, spend Value Customer. Fulfill your function in society.

Loitering is the crime of being in a space but not spending money.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

wonder what it looks like without They Live glasses on

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

White Rock posted:

well yeah you gotta get the one with extra mörk

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Scary! posted:

I'm becoming increasingly aware of this (I mean I always knew it, but now I'm starting to really grok it) and it is bumming me out hard.

Everyone and everything is trying to sell me poo poo, all the time, in any physical or virtual space I visit. It's exhausting. I feel like I'm in a fucken invisible cage

Late capitalism is trash, and my increasing disgust with pretty much everything involved in it is starting to affect everything I do

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

God drat where are all the hardbodied wrestlers coming to help my fat rear end get not fat, I need to go start lifting in the big gym full of people or something instead of the empty community one because that sounds lit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAmh7hfaBM

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Scary! posted:

The attention economy is a real and very scary thing. Your brain processes experiences with different parts of itself based on what, if anything, is facilitating the experience. If you're using a tool, the experience is handled by a part of your brain that tries to see potentials for personal gains, basically seeing the world in a very short-term, transactional nature. In this scenario, very little emphasis gets placed on emotions or intellectual enrichment. As you can guess, this is the part of your brain that so much of modern technology preys on, and you can see what deleterious effects it can have on both you and society at large if it becomes the primary way we experience the world.

Caveat: I'm not a neuroscientist and can't say how much of this is true; I'm pretty much regurgitating what I read in an article earlier this week.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Communist Walrus posted:

Caveat: I'm not a neuroscientist and can't say how much of this is true; I'm pretty much regurgitating what I read in an article earlier this week.

Neither is the person who wrote that article, he's a senior "researcher" at a pseudoscience thinktank with a background in banking analysis and the institutes' website refuses to say what he actually researches there.
Mindfulness is just another lifestyle choice and there's a big market in shilling books on how you can improve your life without harming the system that is making your life lovely in the first place.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Neither is the person who wrote that article, he's a senior "researcher" at a pseudoscience thinktank with a background in banking analysis and the institutes' website refuses to say what he actually researches there.
Mindfulness is just another lifestyle choice and there's a big market in shilling books on how you can improve your life without harming the system that is making your life lovely in the first place.

welp

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
mindfulness is for the bourgeoisie. works great if you’re focusing on your rad life and free time to make a home cooke dbreakfast and yoga on your roof garden, works less good if you’re trying to be mindful of hour 9 of your 12 hr dishwashing shift

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

mindfulness is for the bourgeoisie. works great if you’re focusing on your rad life and free time to make a home cooke dbreakfast and yoga on your roof garden, works less good if you’re trying to be mindful of hour 9 of your 12 hr dishwashing shift

True mindfulness would be to turn the rich into a home cooked breakfast.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Petit-Bourgeoisie actually, It's mostly middle-class people who try to patch over their anxiety with "living in the moment" stickers.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I guess the problem is how else do you deal with the anxiety of living in late capitalist hell, given that it's ubiqutious and inescapable? I mean, obviously developing class consciousness and working to destroy it/eat the rich, but til that happens?

It is undeniably a middle class thing, though, and while I'm sure it would be varying shades of useful for different people, it's complete bullshit that only the bourg (of which I am admittedly a part) get access to CBT or whatever it takes to cope with all this shite

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
the 1st noble truth is not contingent on any stage of capitalism fyi

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

I guess the problem is how else do you deal with the anxiety of living in late capitalist hell, given that it's ubiqutious and inescapable? I mean, obviously developing class consciousness and working to destroy it/eat the rich, but til that happens?

Well, you gave the answer already, it exists as one of the ways to stop people from thinking too much about the system itself, eg: to stop people from developing class consciousness.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Well, you gave the answer already, it exists as one of the ways to stop people from thinking too much about the system itself, eg: to stop people from developing class consciousness.

being willing and able to look at things as they are is a prerequisite for developing class consciousness u big dumbo

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

crazy cloud posted:

being willing and able to look at things as they are is a prerequisite for developing class consciousness u big dumbo

Lol, mindfulness is not Buddhism. It's a business fraud with charlatans and predators.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Lol, mindfulness is not Buddhism. It's a business fraud with charlatans and predators.

water flows down a hill, and the shape of its course is determined by the piles and divots in the dirt along the way. it still reaches the same bottom of the hill regardless. namaste

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
happiness is counterrevolutionary

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

crazy cloud posted:

water flows down a hill, and the shape of its course is determined by the piles and divots in the dirt along the way. it still reaches the same bottom of the hill regardless. namaste

.... two bottoms of hills, different attraction basins?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

.... two bottoms of hills, different attraction basins?

barrier

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

what happens when water falls on the barrier itself

(the attraction basin dealie was one of the motivating questions behind dynamical chaos theory)

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what happens when water falls on the barrier itself

(the attraction basin dealie was one of the motivating questions behind dynamical chaos theory)

i wasn't answering your question, i was describing your question. there is only one mind and there is only one hill, and speculative hypothetical concept-based questions are a barrier to clearly perceiving in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
i hit all of u 30 times and leave the hall