Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Maybe Bumblebee, the character, just isn't very popular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

After 5 very successful movies, it is abundantly clear that Michael Bay killed the Transformers franchise, and any hope it has of finding an audience.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe Paramount killed it by trying to hype aspects of Bumblebee that most people, especially those already bored of Bay movies, never cared about. "You might not like The Last Knight, but don't worry because in this movie Optimus and Soundwave are box-shaped".

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

General Dog posted:

It might just be that they shouldn't have released it to such a crowded field.

This has to be a significant factor, and that it opened during Christmas.

It still hasn't even been shown in Norway because there's no room for it between the other stuff from Hollywood and the Christmas movies they want to re-run over here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They probably thought Aquaman was going to be a flop.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
A picture of a smug/smiling Michael Bay with the caption "Miss Me Yet?"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

With the cutesy iron giant approach failing we all know the inevitable is coming...

In 2020...Ryan Reynolds is.. a drunken, surly bumblebee!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Turns out that the parts that nerds complained endlessly about were those same parts that actually made them think or feel something.

Also, It’s tough to believe that they went with Bumblebee as a title. That’s an awful title for any movie let alone a fuckin space invasion robot combat movie.

Like here’s our new movie, in which an E.T. - an extraterrestrial person - is abandoned on Earth and tries to survive while pursued by government agents. We call it... Butterscotch Buttercup.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Darth TNT posted:

Maybe Bumblebee, the character, just isn't very popular?

The MSJ posted:

Maybe Paramount killed it by trying to hype aspects of Bumblebee that most people, especially those already bored of Bay movies, never cared about. "You might not like The Last Knight, but don't worry because in this movie Optimus and Soundwave are box-shaped".

Maybe fandom is a mental disorder held by a very online minority, and the vast majority of people just go to movies arbitrarily?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

Maybe fandom is a mental disorder held by a very online minority, and the vast majority of people just go to movies arbitrarily?

Fandom is a mental disease for sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

Fandom is a mental disease for sure.

Agreed!

'sup Gatts.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

A picture of a smug/smiling Michael Bay with the caption "Miss Me Yet?"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Michael Bay is truly the gift that never ends.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Agreed!

'sup Gatts.

'Sup Bro. Have a happy new year.

I need him and Snyder on a movie stat.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gatts posted:

'Sup Bro. Have a happy new year.

I need him and Snyder on a movie stat.

What did the movie critics ever do to you that you'd wish such a fate upon them?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Darth TNT posted:

What did the movie critics ever do to you that you'd wish such a fate upon them?

Michael Bay and Zack Snyder direct a Christopher Nolan film with John Williams composing and Roger Deakins Cinematography......

...a Mr. Bean epic guest starring Keeping Up Appearances' Mrs. Hyacinth Bucket.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 2, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Giving bad reviews to movies like Hook, Ravenous, and Venom?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

You are doing God's work.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Transformers was always a nihilistic Reagan-born exercise in fetishistic violence and regressive politics dressed in the trappings of american idealism, which Bay understood perfectly. Bumblebee trying to pretend that there's some sort of pure, spielbergian, soft-focus pathos hidden in the racist cartoon designed hawk rebranded overstock toys from japan to children was strong enough horseshit for audiences to smell.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is it not okay to like two different approaches to the material? The Bay movies are pretty good, and Bumblebee is also pretty good.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Transformers was always a nihilistic Reagan-born exercise in fetishistic violence and regressive politics dressed in the trappings of american idealism, which Bay understood perfectly. Bumblebee trying to pretend that there's some sort of pure, spielbergian, soft-focus pathos hidden in the racist cartoon designed hawk rebranded overstock toys from japan to children was strong enough horseshit for audiences to smell.

You're not wrong except I think it's more likely that bumblebee just wasn't a popular enough character to get people to come out to see another transformers movie. When I was a kid nobody ever cared nearly as much about the "kid friendly" characters like him and hot rod and cheetor as the marketing would lead you to expect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The “befriend the humans” character in the original cartoon was Hound anyway.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If the movie was called Megatron, had no humans, and had megs stomping the poo poo out of autobots for 75min it would have made 100milion opening weekend

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bumblebee gets released in China on January 4th - lets hope it flops there, too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Slutitution posted:

Bumblebee gets released in China on January 4th - lets hope it flops there, too.

Aquaman received an extension until Chinese New Year in February, so it is possible.

Bay is not as likely to return as the last few times, so who is going to direct the next movies?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm horrified beyond words.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Me too, a disturbing lack of "brewskies" in that photo

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Saw Bumblebee.

It's Terrific!

(Y'know, like Citizen Kane)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Maybe Hailee Steinfeld is just box office poison

That would be a bummer but it seems the evidence is there

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Me too, a disturbing lack of "brewskies" in that photo

His hands aren't in frame, he could be holding twelve brewskis or more

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I Before E posted:

Have her movies did badly before this?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Have her movies did badly before this?

I know Edge Of Seventeen, which I loved, did very poorly

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I Before E posted:

she's the next Taylor Kitsch. remember him? star of Battleship and John Carter? Gambit in the worst X-Men movie? Part of the second season of True Detective? Savages? The Covenant? Snakes on a Plane? the villain in American Assassin?

god what a tragic career.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

she's the next Taylor Kitsch. remember him? star of Battleship and John Carter? Gambit in the worst X-Men movie? Part of the second season of True Detective? Savages? The Covenant? Snakes on a Plane? the villain in American Assassin?

god what a tragic career.

She did spider Gwen in the spiderverse movie which seems to be doing well at least.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Animated prequel, Optimus movie, and..... Beast Wars?

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/hints-at-a-potential-beast-wars-movie-from-bumblebee-producer-lorenzo-di-bonaventura/42712/

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I Before E posted:

True Grit is the Coens' biggest box office success to date

I Before E posted:

I know Edge Of Seventeen, which I loved, did very poorly

I don't think it ever got a nationwide release, or if it did it was very limited.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Beast Wars? I can't think of anything I want less, and I'm sure that'd be another Mortal Engines.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Beast Wars is the only series in the entire franchise that has a story that isnt putrid dogshit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Beast wars was an extremely goofy, childish, toyetic show with cg that aged like milk

But it was really good and Dinobot's death is still some top tier childhood cartoon moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

As long as they bring back the voice actor for Megatron yesssssssssss. :colbert: