Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think peoples' religion or political opinions are intrinsically worthy of respect; it seems like an unsustainable position to me to suggest as much. I don't mean "equal respect", I mean "any respect at all". I'd go so far as to say that sometimes it can potentially be fair to be prejudiced against people based on their religious beliefs or political opinions, because those are things that they have chosen to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, Jack Black is great. Tenacious D is great too.

JB owns, he's funny and dramatic and good in every movie.

The part in Shallow Hal where he actually sees the burn victim girl is a loving kick in the balls.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

things that they have chosen to believe

No one chooses what to believe.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

I'm with you there, I have no idea how to ascribe culpability to folks' beliefs.
:smuggo:: I ARRIVED AT MY BELIEFS THROUGH CAREFUL THOUGHT AND UNIMPEACHABLY RATIONAL LOGIC.
:ohdear:: I uh... also did? I mean, all the scientists are saying-
:smuggo:: OH, YOU MEAN THOSE GUYS IN THE POCKET OF BIG HUMANISM??
:ohdear:: ...maybe?
:shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think peoples' religion or political opinions are intrinsically worthy of respect; it seems like an unsustainable position to me to suggest as much. I don't mean "equal respect", I mean "any respect at all". I'd go so far as to say that sometimes it can potentially be fair to be prejudiced against people based on their religious beliefs or political opinions, because those are things that they have chosen to believe.

Depends on how broad your brush is. You can be “prejudiced” against people who believe in religious violence without automatically disliking all catholics, muslims, buddhists, etc etc

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tiggum posted:

They absolutely 100% can and do politically.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

They absolutely 100% can and do politically.

Bull. poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tiggum posted:

Bull. poo poo.

no, he's right

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Bull. poo poo.

I'm not a politician but as one of their fellow garbage people I can confirm that you can and I do. There are a lot of things where my belief in many things varies strongly depending on who is asking. There are some things where I honestly don't know what I truly believe, but instead of admitting that I will temporarily strongly believe one way or the other, again depending on who is asking.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm not a politician but as one of their fellow garbage people I can confirm that you can and I do. There are a lot of things where my belief in many things varies strongly depending on who is asking. There are some things where I honestly don't know what I truly believe, but instead of admitting that I will temporarily strongly believe one way or the other, again depending on who is asking.

No, sometimes you tell the truth and other times you lie. You don't choose what you believe. Maybe your belief changes over time and depending on various factors - that's normal. You don't get to choose though. You can't just decide that you think something is true and then actually believe it. That's not a thing people can do.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If you pretend long and hard enough you can, based on your own free will, choose to change your true beliefs. You can't do it at the drop of a hat I guess, if that's what you're trying to say. I guess you could also argue that if you even think it's possible to change your deeply held beliefs then you don't truly believe in it, but that's a more philosophical question. I was just arguing that from a practical perspective, there's not much difference between lying and truly believing as long as your belief gets you what you want in the end (i.e. friendship, a date, a job, whatever).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If you tell a lie enough you'll start to believe it. And yes, people absolutely can change their beliefs. One of the reasons it's increasingly seeming that they can't is because the internet has allowed everybody to immediately navigate directly to www.iAmRightAboutEverything.com and find a million reasons why anybody who disagrees is a quadruple Hitler. The entire point of debate is to analyze whatever positions are being presented and figure out which parts of both sides are good and which are bad or if both sides are just plain wrong. Increasingly it's becoming a massive team sport; the only thing that matters is winning. It isn't a debate if neither side will cede any ground at all and enters it with the attitude that the other side is a monster that must be destroyed.

(as an aside if the other side is literal Nazis then yes they are actual monsters that we should be fighting)

A complete and total refusal to even accept the possibility that one's beliefs are flawed in any way is a massive mistake. Nobody has entirely perfect beliefs and nobody is 100% right about everything. That's the other point of debate; putting multiple views on the table to analyze all of them. One reason people develop different beliefs is just because of different life experiences. If you refuse to even listen to people different than you then something is wrong.

(as an aside if the other side is literal Nazis then yeah, gently caress 'em)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Bull. poo poo.

It's 100% a choice to believe for instance that LGBT/PoC/etc. people are evil, society destroying, devious entities, despite literally all factual evidence in the world telling you otherwise. There are reformed white supremacists for a reason.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Movie PHUO: I think the original National Lampoon Vacation movie is better than Christmas Vacation (which I still really like), and I think that all of the '80s National Lampoon 'Vacation' movies are superior to Vegas Vacation.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Dec 31, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Depends on how broad your brush is. You can be “prejudiced” against people who believe in religious violence without automatically disliking all catholics, muslims, buddhists, etc etc

What I mean is that if somebody introduces themselves to you and informs you that they are, for instance, a devout Christian or an observant Muslim, then I think it would not be unreasonable to infer (pending some demonstration from them to the contrary) that they are probably homophobic, because that's just part of their belief system. I think that prejudice in those terms - where you have made this judgment about someone on limited information - is fair enough. That being said, it remains a rebuttable presumption.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Movie PHUO: I think the original National Lampoon Vacation movie is better than Christmas Vacation, and I think that all of the '80s National Lampoon 'Vacation' movies are superior to Vegas Vacation.

I thought european vacation was the worst. Mostly because when I watched it with my family they made me cover my eyes and my mom put her hands over my ears for that scene with the topless dancers or whatever. I was like 13 or 14. I guess she thought if I even heard the titties I would go to hell.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I thought european vacation was the worst. Mostly because when I watched it with my family they made me cover my eyes and my mom put her hands over my ears for that scene with the topless dancers or whatever. I was like 13 or 14. I guess she thought if I even heard the titties I would go to hell.

It's definitely not as funny as the 1983 movie, but it has some fairly good bits in it (I personally like the 'French waiter' scene, even if it relies on cliches).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I hope we can both agree that the remake is pretty garbage, at least.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
European Vacation had the best boobs.

Original Vacation is best tho, this is correct. Followed by the Christmas one. That one is harder to connect with now bc lol @ the idea of Christmas bonuses in this stage of capitalism

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I hope we can both agree that the remake is pretty garbage, at least.

I actually haven't seen the newest one, but since everyone has seemed to have forgotten it, I'm sure it must have been mediocre to bad. Should I even bother to Netflix it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And yes, people absolutely can change their beliefs.
I never said they couldn't. That doesn't make it a choice. It's possible to believe something but be open to the possibility of being wrong. I believe my front door's shut but if I got up and looked and saw it was open then I'd change my belief pretty quickly. But if I got up and saw it was shut then I couldn't just choose to believe it was open because my senses tell me it isn't.

Yardbomb posted:

It's 100% a choice to believe for instance that LGBT/PoC/etc. people are evil, society destroying, devious entities, despite literally all factual evidence in the world telling you otherwise.
No it isn't. You seem to think that it would be wrong to judge people for their beliefs if they couldn't choose them therefore they must be able to choose them. That's just nonsense.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I actually haven't seen the newest one, but since everyone has seemed to have forgotten it, I'm sure it must have been mediocre to bad. Should I even bother to Netflix it?

eh, it had a couple of laughs but it misses all of the charm of the original one. I don't really like ed helms but even ignoring that, it just kind of sucked. And the Chevy Chase cameo was pretty shoehorned in.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

People who back into parking spaces, especially in busy parking lots, are human scum and the world would be better off without them

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
King of the Hill was the only good thing to come out of Fox and the fact they killed it off for yet another seth mcfarlene cartoon was despicable.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Aquaman is a bad movie to watch sober. :420::D

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tubgoat posted:

Aquaman is a bad movie to watch sober. :420::D

The worst thing I've heard someone say about Aquaman is "it's still a DC movie"

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm not really invested in the Marvel/DC slapfight. It was corny and cheesy and ridiculous and enjoyable. Like nachos. :yum:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tubgoat posted:

I'm not really invested in the Marvel/DC slapfight. It was corny and cheesy and ridiculous and enjoyable. Like nachos. :yum:

Neither am I, but it was said by some guy who looked like he invested his personality in being a woke nerd in a conversation that involved two women gushing about how much fun it was to watch (more specifically how much fun it was to watch Jason Momoa).

Sidenote: Any straight guy who praises Aquaman but doesn't acknowledge that a significant reason why it's good is how hot Jason Momoa is is trying too hard.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Jan 1, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Momoa is for sure an insanely attractive and charming human being, and the tattoos were heckin' cool to boot. Good loving lord, that legacy costume though. :laffo:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

For a lot of reasonable people it's less marvel/dc and more a question of "does the movie stand on its own two legs, or does it fall over" I don't personally have an opinion on the movie, as I haven't seen it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

King of the Hill was the only good thing to come out of Fox and the fact they killed it off for yet another seth mcfarlene cartoon was despicable.

King of the Hill should have ended before Luanne got married.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

King of the Hill should have exclusively followed Lucky after he married Luanne

drat, you're right

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Momoa is wealthy and attractive which makes him objectively a better person.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Superhero comics are one thing ive never been interested in and i cant think of many things that are more boring

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aramek posted:

Momoa is wealthy and attractive which makes him objectively a better person.

I never really liked him because my first exposure to him was when he was just a really lame Teal'c knockoff, but he has started to grow on me. I thought that Conan "reboot" was pretty cool, anyway.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Being overly wealthy is a pretty strict negative and he does zero for me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think I got unlucky with King of the Hill because one of the first episodes I saw was the one about how the Americans with Disabilities Act is bullshit that allows lazy people to screw over noble small business owners. And that kinda soured me on the whole show.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Actors are stupidly overpayed but at least some, like Momoa afaik, are actually “self made.” Rich actors are way better than rich business people. I’m apparently bougie enough to not find someone with money unattractive. If he was my sexy, sexy husband I’d encourage us living modestly and putting that money to better causes but the fact that it exists isn’t a turn off.

Also I’m normally more into the chubby buff physique on muscley guys than super shredded ten packs but Jason-kun pulls it off. He also pulls of eyeliner really well, imo he should wear it all the time.

Oh phuo: Chris Pratt was cuter when he wasn’t ripped

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shibawanko posted:

Superhero comics are one thing ive never been interested in and i cant think of many things that are more boring

The one "nerd" hobby I've never really gotten the appeal of is action figures. I'm always reminded of that Simpsons joke where Comic Book Guy's rule for buying action figures is to get five of everything: one to open; one to trade; one to customise; one to display; and one to put away as an "investment".

(Though I suppose some action figures probably are better "investments" than over-printed "first issues" of comics with holographic 3D covers, aren't they?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one "nerd" hobby I've never really gotten the appeal of is action figures. I'm always reminded of that Simpsons joke where Comic Book Guy's rule for buying action figures is to get five of everything: one to open; one to trade; one to customise; one to display; and one to put away as an "investment".

(Though I suppose some action figures probably are better "investments" than over-printed "first issues" of comics with holographic 3D covers, aren't they?)

No. Literally everything that's marketed as collectible that comes out right now isn't and won't be an investment. It'll be overproduced until it's effectively worthless. The only reason certain old things are collectible is that they're uncommon. That particular Honus Wagner baseball card is insanely valuable because only a few hundred ever existed and only a few dozen have survived and he's considered one of the best players to ever live. It's pretty unlikely that any action figure that exists now will be particularly valuable in our lifetime.

A few have snuck by in the past couple of decades by just being uncommon. There are a few highly sought after Star Wars figures that are way more valuable than you'd expect but only because relatively few were made. They aren't even popular characters but weird background characters that only got a limited run because nobody thought they'd sell. Then it turns out that die-hard fans that collect as many things as possible were seeking the things out like mad to complete their sets.